Next-gen MacBook shipments begin ahead of 'sharp ramp'

Comments

• Reply 141 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

where are you pulling these figure out of? I've never ever seen a $5k mbp, even in A$. 50% premium? um, a touch melodramatic?

I'm adding a 50% premium to my used MacBook Pro, since you're content with paying that much extra for its engineering, design, and software

Regarding a 50% premium for Apple products (at times), look:

Dell XPS M1330 $1099

2.4Ghz T8300, 800Mhz FSB, 3MB Cache

3GB RAM

320GB Hard Drive

Burn DVDs, Burn CDs

Webcam, Bluetooth, Wifi

MacBook $1499

2GB RAM

250GB Hard Drive

Burn DVDs, Burn CDs

Webcam, Bluetooth, Wifi

Note that you can't get a 320GB hard drive in a MacBook, and the RAM is a GB less than the Dells, but you can upgrade to 4GB of RAM in the MacBook for a low low price of $1,699 if you act now.
  • Reply 142 of 287
    Quote:

As i said, engineering, design, software development all costs money

Are you aware of how much it costs them? Otherwise the point is moot.

^Ahhh, well played, Cory.
  • Reply 143 of 287
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    This line of argument has been rebutted on many occasions by others more knowledgeable than i. If you want to count that as a win, go for it, because i cbf and whether you purchase an mb or mbp doesn't matter to me. Whine away, whilst we use our macs and enjoy the experience.

Buy your cheaper PC, enjoy whatever OS you choose to use, enjoy the pitfalls of viruses and anti-virus software, enjoy not using iApps and pro-Apps, enjoy sony recalling your viao, or your dell falling apart etc etc. Then you can whine some more.

Adding 50% to a used mbp, oh how convincing, and witty. :golfclap:
  • Reply 144 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Buy your cheaper PC, enjoy whatever OS you choose to use, enjoy the pitfalls of viruses and anti-virus software, enjoy not using iApps and pro-Apps, enjoy sony recalling your viao, or your dell falling apart etc etc. Then you can whine some more.

FFS

Screw you, I'm going to enjoy my Mac, and continue whining and love every minute of it.

• Reply 145 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

FFS

Screw you, I'm going to enjoy my Mac, and continue whining and love every minute of it.

haha, good post!

fwiw, that was directed at CB.
  • Reply 146 of 287
    I know, and I do hope you could tell that I didn't meant any offense.

• Reply 147 of 287
    Quote:

I know, and I do hope you could tell that I didn't meant any offense.

no worries!
  • Reply 148 of 287

You smilie thief!

• Reply 149 of 287
    Quote:

You smilie thief!

• Reply 150 of 287
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Sony has often been considered one of the more expensive vendors, but ok then:

Apple MacBook $1099

2.1Ghz T8100, 800Mhz FSB, 3MB Cache

1GB RAM

120GB Hard Drive

Play DVDs, Burn CDs

Webcam, Bluetooth, Wifi

Dell XPS M1330 $1099

3GB RAM

320GB Hard Drive

Burn DVDs, Burn CDs

Webcame, Bluetooth, Wifi

From the Dell Home site on 9/16/2008:

XPS M1330 2.1Ghz - $1,258

Tuxedo Black

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T8100 (2.1GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache)

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1

Standard Display with 2.0 Megapixel Webcam

2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz

Size: 160GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)

CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW Drive)

Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card

Built-in Bluetooth capability (2.0 EDR)

56Whr Lithium Ion Battery (6 cell)

High Definition Audio 2.0

Biometric Fingerprint Reader

MacBook 2.1Ghz - $1,249

MacBook 2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - White

Part Number: Z0FJ

2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB

160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm

Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)

Keyboard (English) / User's Guide

Accessory kit

That's even with Apple's $100 for 1GB of RAM ripoff. $41.99 at Crucial for a 2GB kit. Combo drive though.

Lets try at 2.4Ghz

XPS M1330 2.4 GHz- $1,308

Tuxedo Black

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache)

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1

Standard Display with 2.0 Megapixel Webcam

2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz

Size: 160GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)

CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW Drive)

Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card

Built-in Bluetooth capability (2.0 EDR)

56Whr Lithium Ion Battery (6 cell)

High Definition Audio 2.0

Biometric Fingerprint Reader

MacBook 2.4GHz - $1299

MacBook (White) - 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Part Number: MB403LL/A

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB

160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm

SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

Keyboard (English) / User's Guide

Accessory kit

The new Dell Inspiron 13 2.4Ghz is cheaper but lacks FW and DVI. The next MB should stack up very well against it when it comes out soon and more on par with the more upscale XPS line...which I guess will get a refresh as well.

But what is clear is that the MB is STILL competitive with BOTH Dell and Sony. At least when you actually GO to thier sites and get real pricing.
  • Reply 151 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

But what is clear is that the MB is STILL competitive with BOTH Dell and Sony. At least when you actually GO to thier sites and get real pricing.

The specs I posted were from their website earlier today. For the life of me I cannot find them again, but I'm sure you know well as me that trying to shop from Dell's website is damn near impossible.
  • Reply 152 of 287
    Quote:

I'm adding a 50% premium to my used MacBook Pro, since you're content with paying that much extra for its engineering, design, and software

Regarding a 50% premium for Apple products (at times), look:

There is no premium. Against the XPS M1330, from the price from their US Home site the MacBook is cheaper as shown above.
  • Reply 153 of 287
    Here's the XPS M1330's specs and price I had found earlier today and posted here.
  • Reply 154 of 287
    Quote:

The new Dell Inspiron 13 2.4Ghz is cheaper but lacks FW and DVI. The next MB should stack up very well against it when it comes out soon and more on par with the more upscale XPS line...which I guess will get a refresh as well.

Apple has stated it will offer expensive functionality that other OEM will not be able to compete with. Theirs still a mystery as to what that will be.
  • Reply 155 of 287
    Quote:

The specs I posted were from their website earlier today. For the life of me I cannot find them again, but I'm sure you know well as me that trying to shop from Dell's website is damn near impossible.

Well they aren't $250 cheaper right now even with the $438 instant savings although it does come with 3GB RAM and a 250GB drive in that package but it's $1,344 for the 2.1Ghz model. The 2.4GHz version is $1,394.

Yes, you DO need to add in Bluetooth and the 6-cell battery for the M1330 since the MacBook has those.

The Dell Inspiron 13 IS cheaper than both the M1330 and the MacBook because it was released last month and is a lower end model.
  • Reply 156 of 287
    Quote:

Here's the XPS M1330's specs and price I had found earlier today and posted here.

That's a nice sale price, I stand corrected. The only thing you need to add is the $79 6 Cell battery that puts it at $1,178.

Now the MacBook 2.4Ghz at Amazon is $1,203.98 with rebate but is short 1GB of RAM and half the size HDD.

It's STILL not a 50% cost differential.
  • Reply 157 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Apple has stated it will offer expensive functionality that other OEM will not be able to compete with. Theirs still a mystery as to what that will be.

We'll know when we know. It may not even be related to the MacBook...there are too many potential product changes to even hazard a guess beyond the usual suspects.
  • Reply 158 of 287
    Quote:

Well they aren't $250 cheaper right now even with the $438 instant savings although it does come with 3GB RAM and a 250GB drive in that package but it's $1,344 for the 2.1Ghz model. The 2.4GHz version is $1,394.

Yes, you DO need to add in Bluetooth and the 6-cell battery for the M1330 since the MacBook has those.

The Dell Inspiron 13 IS cheaper than both the M1330 and the MacBook because it was released last month and is a lower end model.

Yes, it's a lower model, but more of a direct competitor to the MacBook 13". The XPS, whetever PR spin you want to give it, is a more high-end notebook that is offerred with dedicated gfx as an option. The Inspiron 13" is integrated only, as is the MacBook.

PS: the Inspiron even has an ExpressCard slot and a SD card reader. I need those! I hope the next MacBook has them built-in!\
  • Reply 159 of 287
    Quote:

Well in that case, maybe you could toss an extra five-hundred bucks my way, since that's how much it costs to get an equally-equipped Apple laptop, and you don't seem to be all too concerned with giving out free money

It does not cost an extra $500 to get an equally equipped MacBook. Show me a laptop with the MacBook's specs for $500.

For the MBP, there are PC alternatives for $500 less, but they are uber ugly, run Windozzzzze, etc.
  • Reply 160 of 287
    Emphasis on UBER UGLY!