Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.5 Update

Comments

• Reply 81 of 106
    What's the problem with InDesign? I use InDesign on two Mac's running 10.5 with no problems. You say it like it's a known issue?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jabohn View Post

Does not fix issues with InDesign.

Does not fix issue with inability to create Notes in Mail.

• Reply 82 of 106
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MartiNZ View Post

I happens every single time I click a new mail desktop alert from Entourage, so it's pretty easy to test. Other occurrences seem more random, so there could be some blame on MS's side, but still....

What did Apple say when you reported the bug to them? I'm sure they don't prioritize engineering efforts based on AppleInsider forum posts...
  • Reply 83 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

If that happened to me I would freak out

I have an iMac that has been randomly waking from sleep for apparently no reason but I was more annoyed than freaked out. I'll have to see if this fixes it.
  • Reply 84 of 106
    Got my glass of milk ready. About to take a bite into my ginger snaps
  • Reply 85 of 106
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Computers, particularly Macs, have been increasingly complex, and along wit this will come an increasing challenge to keep things running perfectly. Add to this the huge growth of the Mac, and the increasing pressure on Apple to keep innovating, and you can begin to see why things may not be as smooth as they were a few years ago.

Not making excuses, but it's a fact. The world is becoming increasingly connected, and this puts demands on our computers that weren't there before.

While computers are certainly more complex than in the past, I disagree with your extrapolations based upon this observation.

If anything, upgrades are simpler and more reliable than in the past. Perhaps you've forgotten what OS upgrades were like 5, 10, or 15 years ago. They weren't a single button-click process.

What is more likely than increasingly flaky upgrades, is that we're simply in better communication with each other. If anything goes wrong for any mac user anywhere, they're now familiar with the fact that a global forum is just a couple clicks away.

Also, in hindsight we rarely focus on isolated but significant bugs associated with an upgrade. The people posting problems in the here and now capture our attention instead. Then they fade from our memory after realizing that they represent a tiny percentage of the user base. In a year's time, only the most significant of bugs are remembered from the previous update. Meanwhile, we're reading posts about bugs in the newest update. A year from now most of the upgrade bugs will have been forgotten as well.
  • Reply 86 of 106
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by federmoose View Post

wake from sleep is incredibly fast now.

If this turns out to be true, is there a way I can install 10.5.5 on my wife

and daughter?

• Reply 87 of 106
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

12" PowerBook rev A 867mHz running 10.5.3

Should I bother with 10.5.5? I seem to remember I didn't install 10.5.4 because people said it was too slow on this computer. I wonder if the same is true for this update?

I've got the same machine with 10.5.4. I didn't notice any performance drops during upgrade. I'm upgrading to 10.5.5 right now. If there aren't major new features in the upgrade, I would generally expect upgrades to speed things up due to bug fixes optimization etc.

(actually Leopard.0 had new features, and I think it still noticeably sped things up, for example spotlight, by a LOT)
  • Reply 88 of 106
    Everything seems to work just a bit faster for me. I dare not say sn*****!
  • Reply 89 of 106
    It's a disaster! My PowerMac died, my hard disk is gone, i lost all my files!

Naaaaaaaaaaa.... just kidding.... the update is cool.
  • Reply 90 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ai-pdn View Post

First I updated an old PowerBook and everything went OK. Then I did the Mini (1.67 Core Duo). Rebooted OK, but with beach ball icon and couldn't do anything (dock, apps, menu all unresponsive). Couldn't connect with Remote Management or SSH as I usually do. Didn't want to hurt the disk too much so I put it to sleep (was still responding to single click of hardware switch) and then pulled the plug. On boot, folder with question mark. Booted from DVD, went to disk utility and the internal drive shows no partitions. Any ideas?

O-M-G...

(a) never kill the power to Mac desktop while in system update...

(b) putting it to 'sleep' and then pulling the plug does not make it easier on the computer (not sure if this idea came from imagining it to be easier on living creatures...

(c) Sometimes if system not recognize HD, do these : restart and to the various RESETS:

- PRAM by holding down Cmd-Opt-P-R and hold till you hear three startup chimes

<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379>;

- System Mgmt/Power by unplugging (after a NORMAL ShutDown process), and remove all device cables as well, and wait 10 seconds then plug back in. Various models have slight variations on this. Your mac mini requires that the Power button be held when plug back in the power cord. Then plug in mouse and keyboard (and nothing else). Start up.

<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2183>;

- if still no HD after these, starting to look grim. But give a try to this next: as before use your System DVD and this time press and hold 'D' at restart, which should bring up the Apple Diagnostics and let it run through all of them and see if it reports issues.

- Lastly if nothing brings your HD back, then you are going to have to find a tech person to pull data off the drive using a specialized tool/app and then you should, hopefully, be left with data and a drive that you can reformat (with zeros to ensure best quality) and reinstall your system.

Of course, if it is still under warranty or extended AppleCare, give them a call.

Hope this helps. Best,
  • Reply 91 of 106
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bruce Young View Post

(b) putting it to 'sleep' and then pulling the plug does not make it easier on the computer (not sure if this idea came from imagining it to be easier on living creatures...

lol if that is what he was thinking? I was puzzled by that when he first wrote it but I didn't make the connection to living creatures!
  • Reply 92 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Feels Schappier.

(...and I really hate puns!)

Solipsism:

SWEET! For all the amazing tech insight you provide, thanks for laugh.

don't worry, you'll schnapp out of it in no time.
  • Reply 93 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

What did Apple say when you reported the bug to them? I'm sure they don't prioritize engineering efforts based on AppleInsider forum posts...

Apple say? I've never had them say anything to any of the many feedback reports I have submitted over the years. In fact as I wrote at Mac Rumours, I prefer to think of them printing out all my reports and making some kind of odd pattern with them, then laughing but just continuing to ignore them, forever.
  • Reply 94 of 106
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,031member
    quick update - After several odd reboots, things seem stable and ARD is working, so something was particular with my system...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Hmmm....

10.5.5. Install went fine, and Spotlight is currently re-indexing, but at the moment, ARD 3.0 Admin won't launch, giving me an error that says the software may not be installed correctly...

After spotlight is done, I'll repair permissions and reboot, but an early warning if you rely on ARD that something may be fishy...

• Reply 95 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Hmmm....

10.5.5. Install went fine, and Spotlight is currently re-indexing, but at the moment, ARD 3.0 Admin won't launch, giving me an error that says the software may not be installed correctly...

After spotlight is done, I'll repair permissions and reboot, but an early warning if you rely on ARD that something may be fishy...

ARD is currently at V 3.2, and it seems to me that I needed 3.1 at least to get it to work with 10.5 a all. I'd update ARD before I worried too much.
  • Reply 96 of 106
    ARD as of today is now at 3.2.2 and works much better under leopard finally
  • Reply 97 of 106
    Ever since I did this update my computer has a herky jerky, Vista like quality to it. Safari has trouble opening pages. The whole thing is a bit of a disaster for me.
  • Reply 98 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

What's the problem with InDesign? I use InDesign on two Mac's running 10.5 with no problems. You say it like it's a known issue?

I've had no issues with Indesign CS3 and 10.5 either.

I HAVE had nothing but problems with the dock and app switcher in 10.5 though. When I hit CMD-tab, only the finder would show up, no matter what else was running. With 10.5.5, this finally appears to have been resolved.
  • Reply 99 of 106
    Does anyone know if the Intel GMA x3100 drivers were updated with 10.5.5?

Thanks,

Switchy McSwitcher
  • Reply 100 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SwitchyMcSwitcher View Post

Does anyone know if the Intel GMA x3100 drivers were updated with 10.5.5?

Thanks,

Switchy McSwitcher

Probably, according to modification date

Code:

[ leafy@kunlun Extensions] $ ls -lt |more

total 0

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 9 16 20:51 Caches

drwxr-xr-x 5 root wheel 170 9 16 14:24 System.kext

drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 136 9 16 14:24 IPFirewall.kext

drwxr-xr-x 5 root wheel 170 9 16 14:24 AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

drwxr-xr-x 5 root wheel 170 9 16 14:24 AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext