October macbook event....what is the mysterious...BRICK?

Comments

• Reply 101 of 124
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    If this report is true, Jobs has built a billion dollar factory in total secrecy, and that factory is currently running, environmentally friendly and is located within North America.

Wow, just wow. Not sure I believe it.

If it is true, Jobs needs to be given Secret Service protection immediately. The Chinese, and others, will not like this at all.
  • Reply 102 of 124
    Is it remotely possible that Apple's acquisition of PA Semi would fit into this manufacturing process somehow? It doesn't seem likely to me, but maybe someone can see an angle I've missed.

PS: I don't think the factory has been built yet--not completely, anyway. I think the $800 million budgeted for infrastructure in the upcoming fiscal year is going to be spent on it.
  • Reply 103 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

If this report is true, Jobs has built a billion dollar factory in total secrecy, and that factory is currently running, environmentally friendly and is located within North America.

Wow, just wow. Not sure I believe it.

If it is true, Jobs needs to be given Secret Service protection immediately. The Chinese, and others, will not like this at all.

I'm not an expert, but it seems unlikely to me that Apple would be able to do this in total secrecy. I'm guessing shareholders et al would have to be informed at some point. They would probably frown on Jobs just popping up one day explaiming "Hay guys, I just built a one billion dollar factory LOL!"

It could be that the process has been developed and is ready to be implemented in an actual factory.
  • Reply 104 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Dude, would you react so calmly

ZOMGOSH I JUST READ UP ON THIS BARELY!

Whooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaa

*mindblown

WHOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • Reply 105 of 124
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roger Knights View Post

Is it remotely possible that Apple's acquisition of PA Semi would fit into this manufacturing process somehow? It doesn't seem likely to me, but maybe someone can see an angle I've missed.

PS: I don't think the factory has been built yet--not completely, anyway. I think the $800 million budgeted for infrastructure in the upcoming fiscal year is going to be spent on it.

Is it at all possible that Steve could have used shell corporations to have a few key factories built around the world and especially at a site in the U.S.A.? Without Apple's name directly tied to the projects then perhaps news like this could have been kept from the media.

What do you think?
  • Reply 106 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

ZOMGOSH I JUST READ UP ON THIS BARELY!

*mindblown

WHOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

There......thats better!

See Marvin??!
  • Reply 107 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roger Knights View Post

Apple bought out PA Semi because Steve is sick and tired of being compared to other commodity based PC box assemblers. So he is going to make PA Semi create custom system chips that no other device on the market will have. Apple's new computer will have system board setups that have very little in common with other PCs. And probably the only thing it will have in common is the Intel Processors. Ok, and memory and hdds too.
  • Reply 108 of 124
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Apple bought out PA Semi because Steve is sick and tired of being compared to other commodity based PC box assemblers.... And probably the only thing it will have in common is the Intel Processors. Ok, and memory and hdds too.

So, if we still talk about Intel processors, usual memory and hard disks, in which way the new Apple computers would be so much different internally from the rest?
  • Reply 109 of 124
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Holy fracking toledo!!

9to5mac has just let what their sources say is the cat out of the bag on the brick. They are saying Apple has built their own friggin plant! A plant that is using state of the art manufacturing processes including using 3d lasers (yes 3d frickin lasers as in....3D not single beam) and water jets to custom shape computer casings out of blocks of aluminum!

This means not only that apple will not have to rely on asia to make their products anymore but also that they will be able to come out with incredible new seamless designs that takes things to the next level while keeping prices down.

Great news imo!

http://www.9to5mac.com/macbook-brick

Exactly what I thought. HOLY F**K! They friggin built THEIR OWN FRIGGIN FACTORY! A total WTF???!!! moment in Tech!
  • Reply 110 of 124
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:

Apple bought out PA Semi because Steve is sick and tired of being compared to other commodity based PC box assemblers. So he is going to make PA Semi create custom system chips that no other device on the market will have. Apple's new computer will have system board setups that have very little in common with other PCs. And probably the only thing it will have in common is the Intel Processors. Ok, and memory and hdds too.

You are mistaken, SJ stated that the PA Semi acquisition was for the iPod/iPhone electronics. He also said that they are happy with Intel and that there was no reason why they wouldn't use Intel's cpus "forever".

Most of Apple's offerings are well priced vs. the "competition" and sales show this. The problem is that Apple's pricing/line-up creates an "umbrella" under which PC manufacturers have all the latitude to sell a lot of computers to consumers as well as enterprises. That's what they want to change in the next quarters, some price cuts and new models that will reduce the overall margins from 35% to 30% roughly.
  • Reply 111 of 124
    QfTRUUUUUTH !!!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fishyesque View Post

zomgosh i just read up on this barely!

*mindblown

whooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• Reply 112 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

If this report is true, Jobs has built a billion dollar factory in total secrecy, and that factory is currently running, environmentally friendly and is located within North America...

Yup, a nice big, F*CK YOU CHINA, F*CK YOU WALL STREET, F*CK YOU GLOBAL ECONOMY moment.
  • Reply 113 of 124
    marcusmarcus Posts: 227member
    I will be *seriously* shocked if Apple firstly have invested in their own factory, it just makes very little financial sense at the moment in the face of the the current economic state of the world. Outsourcing is the way to go in terms of economies of scale, and limited economic liability... if demand drops off, you just contract your 3rd party to make fewer machines, you are not stuk with a huge factory, staff and raw materials doing nothing but taking up cash... Yes Steve likes to revisit old mistakes (such as the NeXT factory, and yes, I still own a Cube which is a work of genius), but this would in my mind be just too much.

Secondly, if they start to develop laptop cases from billets of Aluminum, I will be *doubly* shocked, it just makes no sense! The process is long, energy intensive, *very* expensive, and frankly offers no benefits over having a rolled and stamped case...

I think this is a huge curve-ball.
  • Reply 114 of 124
    with a wicked 12-foot arch.
  • Reply 115 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

I will be *seriously* shocked if Apple firstly have invested in their own factory, it just makes very little financial sense at the moment in the face of the the current economic state of the world. Outsourcing is the way to go in terms of economies of scale, and limited economic liability... if demand drops off, you just contract your 3rd party to make fewer machines, you are not stuk with a huge factory, staff and raw materials doing nothing but taking up cash... Yes Steve likes to revisit old mistakes (such as the NeXT factory, and yes, I still own a Cube which is a work of genius), but this would in my mind be just too much.

Secondly, if they start to develop laptop cases from billets of Aluminum, I will be *doubly* shocked, it just makes no sense! The process is long, energy intensive, *very* expensive, and frankly offers no benefits over having a rolled and stamped case...

This would an APPLE factory. Not a run-o-the mill factory. It would have very little staff except for the small staff of technicians overseeing the robots. And the old NeXT factory wasn't a mistake.

I'm eyeing the net looking for more leaks. But 9to5mac might be the source for the next one. A little over a week from now we will all know what is going on.
  • Reply 116 of 124
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

I don't know, you are probably right in what you say, but the argument about the current economic state makes no sense. Such a factory requires years of investment and work and if it is already finished and producing machines, it is not like Apple started building it one year ago or so.
  • Reply 117 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

I don't know, you are probably right in what you say, but the argument about the current economic state makes no sense. Such a factory requires years of investment and work and if it is already finished and producing machines, it is not like Apple started building it one year ago or so.

Yes. I think this has been set in motion a few years ago already. And I still think its possible that they have kept people in the dark about this till now.
  • Reply 118 of 124
    I just wanted to remind everybody that even though October 14th has been officially confirmed (HOORAY THE MACBOOKS ARE GONNA DEBUT ON MY BIRTHDAY!! ) and we have been seeing a lot of spy pics of the new macbook shells.........that we STILL do not know what the "brick" is. Everybody has momentarily forgotten about the brick rumor as the excitement over the spy shot pics got built up and the Oct. 14th confirmation.

Don't forget we also still do not know what Apple's "product transition" is really. And how does the "brick" and the "product transition" tie together?

All will be revealed in just a few short days!
  • Reply 119 of 124
    The concern I have is that the MacBook leaks are from China.
  • Reply 120 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

The concern I have is that the MacBook leaks are from China.

I get you dude. Meaning to say if the leaks are from China then its fairly obvious that these new macbooks were built in China and not from some super secret Apple owned manufacturing plant.

It could be that the new manufacturing process is just that.....a brand new manufacturing process licensed out to those Chinese manufacturers. Or simply that there is this new manufacturing process (hardware and/or techniques) that Apple is simply taking advantage of.

But if the latter is the case then I don't see why the competition wouldn't immediately also take advantage of it.

Gawd. Despite Apple's progress they are only barely beyond the competition tech-wise.......I mean currently. I hope as it was at the macworld where the original iphone was debuted that this UPCOMING macworld is a doozy! I really hope Steve has something sinister (in a good way) up his sleeve for January to totally blow the competition away....again. And for the new products to shoot Apple way out in front so the competition has to struggle again to catch up.

As of today the competition seems to have almost caught up and is starting to snip at Steve's heels.