T-Mobile sets stage for Android, iPhone showdown next week

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
An invitation sent out on Tuesday by T-Mobile asks the media to gather next week to see the first phone built on the Android mobile platform, but will also pit Apple and Google against each other -- if reluctantly.

The notice encourages the press to attend a New York City event on September 23rd that will mark the debut of both the phone and the software it depends on.

While little else is contained in the release itself, a string of leaks have essentially spoiled the carrier's plans in advance and imply a direct competitor to the iPhone and other full-touchscreen cellphones.

Once known as the HTC Dream, the device to eventually be called the G1 under T-Mobile has actually been in the public eye in Google demonstrations almost since Android's public unveiling last year. The device has garnered attention through photos and other leaks for the sheer number of features claimed to be under its wing: on top of its touchscreen, the display will slide out like Danger's Sidekick to expose a full keyboard and carry a BlackBerry-like trackball.

As is increasingly becoming the norm for user-friendly smartphones, the G1 is also reputedly packed with features. Some reports have the inaugural Android handset launching T-Mobile's 3G network on a national level, while numerous sources have also pegged GPS navigation, a tilt sensor and Wi-Fi to the device.

T-Mobile's invitation to journalists for the Android event. | Image credits: Gearlog.

Just hours before T-Mobile's invite hit the wires, the Wall Street Journal went so far as to claim sources that reported a late-October release for the HTC-made Android phone, tentatively removing one of the last pieces of the puzzle for the special announcement.

Whatever hardware is showcased at the high-profile occasion, it's likely to be the software that creates the most tension. The touchscreen version of Android has been been compared repeatedly to the iPhone despite significant alterations over its ten months of public appearances and even included the introduction of a close parallel to the iPhone's App Store known as Android Market.

Most differences in code have instead been a matter of policy. Where Apple has imposed a non-disclosure agreement on iPhone developers, limited their hardware access and pulled apps from the App Store for controversial reasons such as competition, Google has insisted on a primarily open-source approach that takes its hands off of much of the development process; developers can not only share code but are even allowed to access components that would normally be off-limits, such as the phone dialer.

And though Apple and Google are ostensibly close allies that share software technology, the tensions created by Android have also had a small impact in Apple's board room, with Google chief and Apple board member Eric Schmidt having to leave meetings as the company discusses iPhone plans that might conflict with Android's strategy.

Still, the Mountain View, Calif.-based search giant has been confident enough to demo a virtually complete Android on a G1 at a London developer meetup just a week before T-Mobile's event and argued that the quality and accessibility of Android apps would carry the day even if hardware is the same, particularly against legacy smartphone platforms such as Windows Mobile.

An excerpt of that demo is available to watch below.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 94
    The difference is that Apple is both the software and the hardware vender. Apple needs their handset approved by the cell networks. Google doesn't have that concern. They just build the sandbox and it's up to the hardware makers to pick and choose which features get implemented.
  • Reply 2 of 94
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Sweet stuff, hopefully I'll be able to get the G1 for use on the AT&T network.
  • Reply 3 of 94
    The number one reason for the iPhone's tremendous popularity, imho, is the iPhone's incredibly easy-to-use interface. The iPhone made is supremely easy to use features like web browsing and email that were already offered on other smart phones but were rarely used because of poor implementation. This is how the iPhone changed everything. T-Mobile's Android phone cannot beat the iPhone by offering a longer list of features. If it is harder to use, it will fail.
  • Reply 4 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alansky View Post

The number one reason for the iPhone's tremendous popularity, imho, is the iPhone's incredibly easy-to-use interface. The iPhone made is supremely easy to use features like web browsing and email that were already offered on other smart phones but were rarely used because of poor implementation. This is how the iPhone changed everything. T-Mobile's Android phone cannot beat the iPhone by offering a longer list of features. If it is harder to use, it will fail.

RDF much?

How come the iPhone in Japan is barely taking off the ground? The people I talk with think the iPhone is passé at this point. It really is just another cellphone. Get used to it. Most other manufacturers have already caught up or are catching up and surpassing the iPhone.

Don't dismiss the features of the new phones. Apple could certainly learn a thing or two from them.
  • Reply 5 of 94
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    This is good. This will push Apple to improve the current and future iPhone by adding more features and better components.
  • Reply 6 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

RDF much?

How come the iPhone in Japan is barely taking off the ground? The people I talk with think the iPhone is passé at this point. It really is just another cellphone. Get used to it. Most other manufacturers have already caught up or are catching up and surpassing the iPhone.

Don't dismiss the features of the new phones. Apple could certainly learn a thing or two from them.

Clearly, app developers are not warming to the iPhone in Japan. It's such a great platform to develop for, perhaps the ramp up will just take longer there.
  • Reply 7 of 94
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    How Sad. He was talking about nothing while page was loading and asking if people have hacked the wifi already. That's sooooooo ssssaaaadddd!!!
  • Reply 8 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Clearly, app developers are not warming to the iPhone in Japan. It's such a great platform to develop for, perhaps the ramp up will just take longer there.

I'm hoping that once Apple (hopefully) opens up the platform to all comers without worrying about "competition" from independent developers, more people will start developing for the iPhone. I'm not optimistic however.

The issue that set me over the edge was the banning by Apple of the tethering application. I'm sure developers in Japan feel the same way.
  • Reply 9 of 94
    Quote:

RDF much?

There is no way that any other "current" phone on the Market has caught up with the iPhone.

That said… There are many coming out with A LOT of potential to do it. Rim (Thunder), numerous offerings from many cell manufacturers with Android.

Apple needs to get off its behind an offer some usable iPhone/Touch applications.

I bought the 3G with GPS and the only thing it offers me is a dot where I am in Google maps. That is not GPS.

Apple (IMHO) has sold out its end users and is looking out for #1.

I used to Love Apple but my disappointment lately is growing daily by their complete and utter lack of loyalty to their end users.
  • Reply 10 of 94
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

RDF much?

Clearly you do. But why bother pointing the obvious when the obvious isn't understood.
  • Reply 11 of 94
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Dell phone surely on way ...
  • Reply 12 of 94
    Quote:

The people I talk with think the iPhone is passé at this point. It really is just another cellphone. Get used to it. Most other manufacturers have already caught up or are catching up and surpassing the iPhone.

Oh, give me a break...are the "people you're talking to" employees of T-Mobile, Google, Nokia and RIM? The iPhone has its issues, but it hasn't come close to being surpassed or caught up with by any competitor. We are talking about phone companies that still churn out phones with clumsy interfaces and loads of poorly implemented proprietary features. Suddenly, Android turns them into sleek, trendsetting market leaders?

I am looking forward to seeing what other phone manufacturers come out with based on Android, because competition is a good thing, but the phone companies are still going through their own baby steps with the new software platform. There are going to be a lot more lipstick-wearing pigs out there before a truly credible phone leverages Android to surpass the iPhone.
  • Reply 13 of 94
    @MacOldTimer

You poor, pathetic, whining, whipped, defeated, sad senior citizen. So "Apple needs to get off its behind an [sic] offer some usable iPhone/Touch applications," eh? So nothing they've done this far matches up to . . . to . . . VAPORWARE? So, the fact that the App Store has generated more interest by a huge multiplicative factor than all of the "also-rans" COMBINED--COMBINED!--means nothing to you? So, the fact that the iPhone has SINGLE-HANDEDLY revolutionized the smartphone market is meaningless to you? By the end of this year (if not quarter) the iPhone will have surpassed WinMob's market share in only the second year of its existence, or are you unaware of that projection?

How truly easy it is to defeat you, sir or madam. IYHO, Version 2.1 is the complete and utter end of the iPhone development cycle, isn't it? Oh, woe is you, alas and alack!

For the love of Gawd, PLEASE, PLEASE defect to Android (again: VAPORWARE!) and spare the rest of us your breast-beating and hair-shirting machinations, OK? Jeez, how I do loathe you and your tribe.
  • Reply 14 of 94
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maxhomie View Post

Oh, give me a break...are the "people you're talking to" employees of T-Mobile, Google, Nokia and RIM? The iPhone has its issues, but it hasn't come close to being surpassed or caught up with by any competitor. We are talking about phone companies that still churn out phones with clumsy interfaces and loads of poorly implemented proprietary features. Suddenly, Android turns them into sleek, trendsetting market leaders?

I am looking forward to seeing what other phone manufacturers come out with based on Android, because competition is a good thing, but the phone companies are still going through their own baby steps with the new software platform. There are going to be a lot more lipstick-wearing pigs out there before a truly credible phone leverages Android to surpass the iPhone.

Totally correct.
  • Reply 15 of 94
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

People are getting this Japan story completely wrong. The iPhone is selling well in Japan just not in the same numbers as the US or Europe. According to estimates Apple has made nearly half a billion in revenue from Japan alone. That is not failure.

Exactly which phones have caught up to the iPhone? Exactly what way have they caught up?
  • Reply 16 of 94
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

That said… There are many coming out with A LOT of potential to do it. Rim (Thunder), numerous offerings from many cell manufacturers with Android.

Those phones are still on paper at this point. We have to wait until they are actually in use.

Quote:

Apple needs to get off its behind an offer some usable iPhone/Touch applications.

Their are over 3000 native apps and 2500 web apps available to the iPhone and iTouch. What do you feel is missing?

Quote:

I bought the 3G with GPS and the only thing it offers me is a dot where I am in Google maps. That is not GPS.

What do you define as GPS?

Quote:

Apple (IMHO) has sold out its end users and is looking out for #1.

In the long run every company is looking out for themselves first.
  • Reply 17 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

@MacOldTimer

You poor, pathetic, whining, whipped, defeated, sad senior citizen. So "Apple needs to get off its behind an [sic] offer some usable iPhone/Touch applications," eh? So nothing they've done this far matches up to . . . to . . . VAPORWARE? So, the fact that the App Store has generated more interest by a huge multiplicative factor than all of the "also-rans" COMBINED--COMBINED!--means nothing to you? So, the fact that the iPhone has SINGLE-HANDEDLY revolutionized the smartphone market is meaningless to you? By the end of this year (if not quarter) the iPhone will have surpassed WinMob's market share in only the second year of its existence, or are you unaware of that projection?

How truly easy it is to defeat you, sir or madam. IYHO, Version 2.1 is the complete and utter end of the iPhone development cycle, isn't it? Oh, woe is you, alas and alack!

For the love of Gawd, PLEASE, PLEASE defect to Android (again: VAPORWARE!) and spare the rest of us your breast-beating and hair-shirting machinations, OK? Jeez, how I do loathe you and your tribe.

I'd hardly consider 42 the age of a Sad Senior Citizen.

It doesn't matter what Apple did yesterday. The market and business is what can you do today. Apple hasn't shown much in the Mobile OS market other than one blunder after another since the 3G came out. That is where Market Share is won.

It's a posting like yours that is going to lead to the demise (that would be "the end" for you OMG text fans) of Apple as a Phone OS.

Following every step Apple makes as the "Gospel".

I have said it many times on the boards. I'm a FAN of technology not a fan of a Vendor. Apple has just had the superior products.

The Video market is jumping Ship with Apple (as of today) because they fear Apple will create the same Monopoly (that would be the majority of the market OMG) they did with iTunes.

The market is tired of Apple being a closed loop and so am I.

And Yes I would jump ship if a better phone with an OS that is as user friendly and gave more freedom to it’s developers.

Remember. I’m old and can afford to jump ship when that day comes.

Edit.

I define GPS as a usable turn by turn voice navigation as every other phone manufacturer does.

A dot on a map does nothing when you're driving alone.
  • Reply 18 of 94
    The lack of pinch in maps, and pinch and tapping to zoom regions in the browser are going to make the user experience a lot more klunky feeling. I do like the freedom aspect of it, but it doesn't look nearly as polished from a scrolling and zooming perspective. And face it with such a tiny screen we do a lot of zooming and scrolling.

When an manufacturer gets that right, the phone feels right.

Sheldon
  • Reply 19 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stokessd View Post

The lack of pinch in maps, and pinch and tapping to zoom regions in the browser are going to make the user experience a lot more klunky feeling. I do like the freedom aspect of it, but it doesn't look nearly as polished from a scrolling and zooming perspective. And face it with such a tiny screen we do a lot of zooming and scrolling.

When an manufacturer gets that right, the phone feels right.

Sheldon

That is the concept behind Android. It's driven by the phone manufacturer as to what capabilities the OS will have.

When a touch screen (HTC) comes out it will show the potential of Android.

Not getting rid on my iPhone yet but will in a heart beat if Android or another superior phone comes out.
  • Reply 20 of 94
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    + and - to zoom in the browser.

Try not to think of the iPhone when he demos how stupid the zoom feature is on Android.