First Google-branded Android phone to arrive at iPhone pricing

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

And Apple isn't?

Correct.

People misuse the term "monopoly" a lot, and they like to say that if they can find some vague similarities between two situations then the two cases must be identical. But Apple's OS X -> iPhone is really, truly, NOT the same situation as Microsoft and desktop Windows and Windows mobile.

Besides which, even if Apple and Microsoft were somehow producing the same quality/usability based on the same decades-long pervasive "monopolies," that still wouldn't be a reason to NOT be glad for open-source innovation.
  • Reply 22 of 75
    I beg to differ, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Correct.

People misuse the term "monopoly" a lot, and they like to say that if they can find some vague similarities between two situations then the two cases must be identical. But Apple's OS X -> iPhone is really, truly, NOT the same situation as Microsoft and desktop Windows and Windows mobile.

• Reply 23 of 75
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    It's going on the brand new T-Mobile 3G network. That should be interesting. I doubt they'll have as much press with 3G problems as Apple did.
  • Reply 24 of 75
    I think Apple/ATT should be very worried, since what may appeal is the monthly pricing plans: T-Mobile has been extremely aggressive lately, and ATT's rates and plans rankle.

People may be willing to settle for a handset that does less than the iPhone, but offers a total cost of ownership that is substantially lower.
  • Reply 25 of 75
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

I beg to differ, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

You can't think of any differences?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

It's going on the brand new T-Mobile 3G network. That should be interesting. I doubt they'll have as much press with 3G problems as Apple did.

If it's 3G and not EDGE, and has 8GB of storage (which I don't know) then the price is right at least!
  • Reply 26 of 75
    Oh there are some differences, to a certain degree, but I think both MS and Apple pretty much one in the same. I just prefer Apple computers...and WM Phones. Strange I know.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

You can't think of any differences?

• Reply 27 of 75
    Quote:

Can you explain why it's good from open source but not from MS.

Let me take this one.... it's too easy.

There would be no need to even HAVE an open source initiative if it weren't for the draconian practices of of MS. Any doubt, ask the people that work for Stacker how well THEY liked dealing with the evil empire.

It's good to support the open source community just to feed the other side of the evil empire.
  • Reply 28 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I doubt they'll have nearly as many users and that's going to make it a LOT easier.
  • Reply 29 of 75
    I don't give a shit about Stacker, ask Psystar how they like dealing with Apple. You say you support the open source community, but yet you support Apple.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

Let me take this one.... it's too easy.

There would be no need to even HAVE an open source initiative if it weren't for the draconian practices of of MS. Any doubt, ask the people that work for Stacker how well THEY liked dealing with the evil empire.

It's good to support the open source community just to feed the other side of the evil empire.

I always support the bad guys.

***I'm also a Yankee Fan**
  • Reply 30 of 75
    Quote:

You say you support the open source community, but yet you support Apple.

Google is going after MS, not Apple.

Apple is busy doing it's own thing and taking advantage of the havoc created by MS.

Open source is a creation out of the same angst created by the evil in Redmond.

I support all in the battle against evil..........
  • Reply 31 of 75
    You think Google is only going after MS? Really?

Quote:

Google is going after MS, not Apple.

Apple is busy doing it's own thing and taking advantage of the havoc created by MS.

Open source is a creation out of the same angst created by the evil in Redmond.

I support all in the battle against evil..........

• Reply 32 of 75
    When are people going to learn to focus?
  • Reply 33 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

If Apple built a phone that was just a phone, no iPod functionality and no internet, I would have still bought it as it's a hell of a lot better than my previous phone (a RAZR).

Can't wait for the other shoe to drop.

I believe it is only a matter of time before we see an entry level iPhone.

It will be a hybrid of the nano and iPhone.

It will be primarily a iPod and Phone without all the web and apps.
  • Reply 34 of 75
    Quote:

You think Google is only going after MS? Really?

Are you kidding?

The entire battle is Google against MS.

What are you thinking?

What do you think MS was doing trying to buy Yahoo?

What is all the web based tools Google is coming up with but an attempt to move the shift from MS desktop applications to web based ad based models.

Keep your eye on the ball.

If Google was really after Apple, they'd be making the hardware for this instead of relying on a four way partnernership.

This is all about Android taking share away from WM.

Only on an Apple message board are people really thinking it's all about attacking the iPhone.

This is another way to block off MS from owning the next marketplace (internet) the way they owned and controlled the last marketplace. (desktop)

Now, T-Mobile is trying to get an answer to the iPhone for countries where they can't sell it so they can compete with AT&T or whoever DOES have t in a particular country.

And the "handset" makers, in this case one in particular, are trying to compete with the iPhone.

But Google itself, is not making hardware to compete with the iPhone.... is not holding frequencies from the acution to compete with AT&T and verizon, and is mostly worried about MS and their evil attempts to rally in response of the internet growth.

Everything these two are doing (MS and Google) is focused on strategic moves to block each other.

Goggle vs the iPhone? Not so much.
  • Reply 35 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Could that video have been any worse? I suspect the final product may be a little better than the impression given here. It'd better. From HW pov it looks bad, like nagromme points out. I think most people will buy this phone because of Android, however. Can't wait for the reviews.

The dead silence with the heavy breathing was intense.

You could have cut the excitement in the room with a knife.

The only thing that would have made it better is a chirping cricket.
  • Reply 36 of 75
    Are you fricking KIDDIN!

You think Google is entering the mobile market and sign with TMobile, to not take customers away from AT&T and kill some of the iPhone hype!

WoW, just WoW.

Quote:

Are you kidding?

The entire battle is Google against MS.

What are you thinking?

What do you think MS was doing trying to buy Yahoo?

What is all the web based tools Google is coming up with but an attempt to move the shift from MS desktop applications to web based ad based models.

Keep your eye on the ball.

If Google was really after Apple, they'd be making the hardware for this instead of relying on a four way partnernership.

This is all about Android taking share away from WM.

Only on an Apple message board are people really thinking it's all about attacking the iPhone.

This is another way to block off MS from owning the next marketplace (internet) the way they owned and controlled the last marketplace. (desktop)

Now, T-Mobile is trying to get an answer to the iPhone for countries where they can't sell it so they can compete with AT&T.

And the handset maker, in this case one in particular, are trying to compete with the iPhone.

But Google itself, is not making hardware to compete with the iPhone.... is not holding frequencies from the acution to compete with AT&T and verizon, and is only worried about MS and their evil attempts to rally in response of the internet growth.

Everything these two are doing (MS and Google) is focused on strategic moves to block each other.

Goggle vs the iPhone? Not so much.

Blah, I never said they were attacking Apple. They do want all the business they can get, and if that means taking iPhone users away from AT&T, so be it.
  • Reply 37 of 75
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member
    Quote:

Are you fricking KIDDIN!

You think Google is entering the mobile market and sign with TMobile, to not take customers away from AT&T and kill some of the iPhone hype!

WoW, just WoW.

Blah, I never said they were attacking Apple. They do want all the business they can get, and if that means taking iPhone users away from AT&T, so be it.

Agreed. This Android phone is a blatant iPhone clone. One of the closest ones yet. It scrolls with a finger just like the iPhone. It even uses Apple's webkit as the base for the browser.

They are clearly targeting the iPhone. Similar phone, software trying to imitate it as well, and same price.

We'll see how well it works out in practice. How can a company beat another company if all they do is copy? Someone has to lead with new innovations, and today that is Apple and only Apple.

Tmobile is a relatively small player in the US market, they're trying to break in. They just started a 3G rollout so they have almost no 3G coverage. Phone is likely to be bulkier because of the keyboard. Their app store clone will be interesting. T-mobile will likely restrict apps at least as much as Apple has. If not, thats better for all of us. T-mobile's store said they're taking 50% revenue from developers. Its not clear to me that they'll attract many developers. I don't see the advantage of yet another platform vs. the iPhone, at least without they stating some benefits above and beyond what the iPhone ecosystem can provide.

So in summary, its the most serious competition the iPhone may have in the near future. It may grow to be a serious competitor, but at this point its time to sit back and watch the show.
  • Reply 38 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

Looks like a glorified Palm pilot.

Agreed. It certainly lacks the elegance and polish that Apple brings to the table.
  • Reply 39 of 75
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

I thought the iPhone was wildly overpriced? Guess not........

Bump

The iPhone is apparently underpriced.
  • Reply 40 of 75
    Quote:

Are you fricking KIDDIN!

WoW, just WoW.

Are you super fricking KIDDIN!

You think Google is after AT&T?

You think Google signed with T-Mobile to do ANYTHING to do with ANY other carrier?

Get a clue, buy a vowel, read the news.

Google WANTED AT&T to be on board.

Google wanted EVERY carrier to be on board.

Google isn't trying to help any ONE carrier against another.

They arn't trying to help any ONE handset maker against another.

That's been the entire point.

They would like EVERY handset maker to have android devices and EVERY carrier to support them.

The only thing that is left, is what's really going on.

Google is taking on WM, and doing it at it's heart.

Get the carriers using Android, get all the handset makers to compete with each other but all using Android.......!

The competition in all of this is the iPhone's proprietary OS and the WM world.

Since Apple so far is limiting itself to basically one carrier a country, that leaves MS and WM as the monster in the pool.

THAT is what Google is doing.

It's so simple to see this going on.

Google is trying to out MS Microsoft at their own game.

I think they think it will roll over Apple the way Microsoft did in the 80's and 90's.

You'll know the point of Android is to attack the iPhone when they get some hardware to attack the iPhone.

Right now, Google has nothing to do with the hardware and is not negotiating contracts between hardware vendors and country by country carriers.

Eye on the ball guys, MS is about to lose BIGTIME to Android.