First Google-branded Android phone to arrive at iPhone pricing

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 75
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Cool phone. I am getting one! Can I sell my 3G here? Goooooooo Goooogle!
  • Reply 62 of 75
    anyone notice in that little clip how many times the guy pushes the screen before something happens. The phone needs to be responsive like re iPhone or it won't sell.
  • Reply 63 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

Now ya see.... here's another post acting like Goodle makes a phone.

There are going to be ten or fifteen different models from lots of different handset makers, all running Android. All on a wide range of carriers.

You are NOT going to be able to say.... "I WANT VERIZON, WHEN THE G-PHONE (KFC) COMES TO VERIZON I'M BUYING IT.

You will NOT be able to say that, because there will be as much difference between ONE handset maker that runs Android on T-Mobile Vs. another handset maker with Android on Verizon as there is today on any two phones LIKE that.

Nothing is going to change with Android in that regard.

What it means, you walk into T-Mobile as a Verizon customer..... ask them about that new Android thing. They will show you what they got. What hardware features that are included with THAT handset from WHATEVER handset maker built it. And how they will price the service and cost.

Then, you walk into Verizon and say.... if you want to keep me.... show me that Android thing. (for the sake of argument) Verzon pulls out a handset made by SOMEBODY running Android for THEIR network. You look at how you like THAT hardware.

Just like everybody does it today, you're going to look at the hardware that the handset maker has, the features opened up by the OS (Android in this case), the pricing from the carrier and then you'll decide. Switch for T-Mobile? Stay with Verizon? You decide.

If Google accomplishes what they are trying to do, it won't matter what you decide.

You'll be running some handset on some network with Android on it.

They don't care if you will, or if you won't switch your carrier.

They don't care if a handset maker does or doesn't include GPS.

They'll let the hardware companies beat each other over the head trying to win on price and features. But if it has Android on it, instead of some other OS, they win.

That's what they're doing.

You don't like T-Mobile or THIS version of hardware?

These things are like buses.... just wait a bit and another one will be along.

Or maybe I was just saying the gPhone because I didn't feel like saying "Android based phone"...
  • Reply 64 of 75
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

Android is NOT in competition with everyone who makes a smartphone.

Android is NOT EVEN A PHONE!. (it's an framework, OS, Platform)

(*shakes head in disgust*)

Google would like EVERYONE THAT MAKES a smartphone to USE android.

It's NOT in competition with SMARTPHONES!

It's in competition with the companies that MAKE the OS for smartphones.

Jeese........

That's a distinction with little difference. As you need the OS as much as the hardware to result in a smartphone.

Microsoft doesn't make phones either, but every phone that runs Windows Mobile is called a Windows Mobile phone. I'm not sure why you want to make this argument.
  • Reply 65 of 75
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Also, if this would have been a Verizon phone, I would drop my BlackBerry Pearl today for it. No matter how crude it may seem now or compared to the 2G iPhone, it will get better. At least that is the hope. If the OS is updatable like the iPhone OS has been, this will be a big deal. Hopefully, Verizon doesn't kill this.

The point of Android doesn't offer the type of control Verizon likes to have over its hardware. To then charge for its own services.
  • Reply 66 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paladinkn00be View Post

You know what, youre wrong.

I am very excited for this phone. I want to buy it on day one. Why?

There is no way on god's green earth I am switch to ATT wireless. The iPhone is a problem though. I wouldnt mind an iPhone, but its just not gonna happen. Also, If I had an iPhone, id look like a pretentious asswipe, which I dont want either. Seriously though, It is what I think, and I know many others who see the iPhone in someone's hand and thinks the same thing. I think the same about my friends with an iPhone... sorry to anyone Im offending, you just have to deal with it.

I also want a phone that actually renders html. Looks like the G1 is my phone.

Hey don't apologies for your opinion because that's what it is. I on the other hand have found the iPhone has the opposite effect. In the short time i have had mine i know of 3 people who have purchased an iPhone at my company based on watching me doodling during my lunch. I also know of at least half a dozen more who are threatening to purchase one soon.

Also while i'm typing this i am looking around my living room and although the TV is on, my wife is playing Tris on my iPhone, My eldest son is playing Pac Man on his iPod Touch and my youngest son is trying to land his Apache helicopter on his iPod Touch. Oh i forgot to mention my eldest sons mate has just gone home listening to music on his iPhone. There must be a lot of pretentious people in my neighbourhood.
  • Reply 67 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Hey don't apologies for your opinion because that's what it is. I on the other hand have found the iPhone has the opposite effect. In the short time i have had mine i know of 3 people who have purchased an iPhone at my company based on watching me doodling during my lunch. I also know of at least half a dozen more who are threatening to purchase one soon.

Also while i'm typing this i am looking around my living room and although the TV is on, my wife is playing Tris on my iPhone, My eldest son is playing Pac Man on his iPod Touch and my youngest son is trying to land his Apache helicopter on his iPod Touch. Oh i forgot to mention my eldest sons mate has just gone home listening to music on his iPhone. There must be a lot of pretentious people in my neighbourhood.

Well duh, I mean, you're British, you're all pretentious! *sarcasm*
  • Reply 68 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Well duh, I mean, you're British, you're all pretentious! *sarcasm*

No I'm an American living in the UK!! Bwahhh haaaa!!
  • Reply 69 of 75
    In addition to this video, there's an ad for Verizon that shows this purported "Dream." As I see it, this ad treats the viewer much the same way as I treat my dog when I give her a dog biscuit...

"Oooh! I've got something for you! You wanna see it? You wanna see it? Ooooh, heeeeeeeere it is!"

The bone is quickly revealed, the dog excitedly wolfs it down, and soon there's nothing remaining, and the dog is left not fully satisfied.

After seeing this ad, I'm gonna start treating my dog with more respect.
  • Reply 70 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlmostBoughtaLisa View Post

In addition to this video, there's an ad for Verizon that shows this purported "Dream." As I see it, this ad treats the viewer much the same way as I treat my dog when I give her a dog biscuit...

"Oooh! I've got something for you! You wanna see it? You wanna see it?

After seeing this ad, I'm gonna start treating my dog with more respect.

I recommend Pedigree Chum
  • Reply 71 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

No I'm an American living in the UK!! Bwahhh haaaa!!

Already adopted the spelling and the vernacular too!
  • Reply 72 of 75
    not impressed yet! need more info. That video is terrible and does nothing to help me appreciate the phone. Well, guess it'll give LG/Samsung/HTC a run for their money.
  • Reply 73 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Already adopted the spelling and the vernacular too!

Thank you
  • Reply 74 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

not impressed yet! need more info. That video is terrible and does nothing to help me appreciate the phone. Well, guess it'll give LG/Samsung/HTC a run for their money.

It is an HTC phone.

I am so glad people educate themselves before making their claims.
  • Reply 75 of 75
    I would go with Android anyday. The iPhone is too demented when it comes to basic features. THe Dream may look like shit but the next Android phones will definitely kick ass.

Check out this article.

Google Android (HTC Dream) vs Apple iPhone 3G -A Comparision

MOD REMOVAL OF LINK TO BLOG.