Potential iPhone usability and interface improvements

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

1. Any phone set on SILENT and still gives message tones is not on silent.

Thanks for agreeing with me then, it was Ireland who was mis-reading posts and telling me it was a "setting away". I was responding to someone who suggested that with the message tone you do not need an LED message indicator. Well with a phone in silent it sounds like you do.

Quote:

2. That explains a lot.

Explains what exactly? The fact I am an Apple fan? Believe me, if it were possible to put the application I work with on the iPhone it would be there already. The iPhone is not yet technically capable of running it. So not sure how the business I am in explains anything.

Quote:

3. How did you come to that conclusion?

Because the iPhone is not capable of running standard business class apps yet and there is still work to do. Support for more than one application running at once is still lacking and this is a basic but yet required feature. There is no cut and paste, no ability to store documents for future reading and no ability to edit documents at all. On my BB I can do all.

Quote:

4. A lot of other people are, e.g., http://www.blackberryforums.com/mac-...-mail-app.html

Not with IMAP. The only way is to use a Blackberry Internet Service (BIS). I am on a corporate BES server and do not want my personal emails being managed from the BES (not sure that is possible anyway). All I want is to have my corporate email from the BES as usual but use POP3 or IMAP to get my personal email account on my BB, just like I can do with GMail and a whole host of other providers.

I do not like having to carry 2 devices around with me otherwise I would have got an iPhone for personal use only.

Quote:

5. My understanding is that the notification light stays on for 10-15 minutes. It would seem obvious that one that did point '2' would know that, or at least be closer.

I think mine is only a short amount of time before it stops, but to be honest I have never timed it as I usually read my messages as soon as I see the light. But I will be surprised if it is as long as you say. Maybe longer than 20 seconds but nowhere near 10 minutes.

Quote:

P.S. Others quite qualified believe that the iPhone is Business ready, e.g., Deploying the iPhone 3G for business, Part 1 (http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9110882), Part 2 (http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/..._part_2_1.html and Part 2 to come.

The fact that that article exists in the first place should tell you that the iPhone is not ready for business yet! The reasons I have given you above are solid reasons why. There should be no argument against any them. I am heavy mobile business user and I am telling you I could not live with an iPhone. I am not here to lie to you, I am an big Apple user at home and wish I could use my Apple stuff more for work. The nearest I have got is putting VMWare on my MBP and loading windows for some work stuff but I still have my Dell for day to day work.

I am more than happy to debate this with you but I will not be spoken to the way you launched an unwarranted attack on me for doing nothing else but saying the BB Bold is better for business than the iPhone. Nothing you have said has made any difference to that.
  • Reply 62 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Murphster View Post

?but saying the BB Bold is better for business than the iPhone. Nothing you have said has made any difference to that.

It is not so much of what you say, but how you say it.

Look at your first post:

Quote:

Again a clear example of why the iPhone has not been designed with the business user in mind. My BlackBerry spends most of the day on silent (vibration off as is distracting in meetings). I need the red light to tell me when a new message has been delivered. Most business users will spend a large proportion of their time with a phone on silent, Apple should now this, after all there must be some business people who work for Apple.

Apple could learn a few things if they bothered to ask anybody what they want from their Apple products instead of telling us what we should be doing instead.

Again, I put my iPhone on SILENT and VIBRATE to off. Call comes in and my iPhone lights up notifying of it and stays on from 5 to ten seconds.

I take exception to your statement that Apple tells us what we should be doing instead. Nothing like that is stated on their web site. Just offerings of products and what they can do. The final choice is yours.

And to suggest that Apple doesn't listen is ludicrous. Apple spends more on consumer research than most of the developers in kind combined. Significant product satisfaction surveys, sales and market share growth is evidence of it.

As many have demonstrated here, a number of good suggestions are being raised. Interesting how most of them are discussed civilly. And undoubtedly, many of those are being or will be tabled by Apple for R&D. The fact that they make it will depend on capability, desirability and compatibility.
  • Reply 63 of 72
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,516member
    Quote:

The fact that that article exists in the first place should tell you that the iPhone is not ready for business yet! The reasons I have given you above are solid reasons why. There should be no argument against any them. I am heavy mobile business user and I am telling you I could not live with an iPhone. I am not here to lie to you, I am an big Apple user at home and wish I could use my Apple stuff more for work. The nearest I have got is putting VMWare on my MBP and loading windows for some work stuff but I still have my Dell for day to day work.

I feel uncomfortable with such a definitive statement. I happen to know more than a few businesses that were deploying the original iPhone early this year.

Not all businesses need a phone for more than email and calls. Many don't even need email.

The definition as to what is a business phone varies from business to business. Remember that cell phones were being deployed long before the more modern systems came into place. Expectations have risen, but aren't of use to every business.

Businesses that don't need special apps (and that's most of them) can be very happy with the iPhone. 3G isn't required for e-mail, neither are those "business apps". My wife's Blackberry has none of these. It's just used for e-mail and phone calls, and CitiGroup is one of those testing the iPhone. My wife wishes she would have been one of those they were testing it with.

It also depends on the industry you're in, and exactly what you do. The vast majority of people issues phones have no special needs, and most any phone with the standard security and decent e-mail, can work.

In fact, most people I know in business, say that they rarely even answer an e-mail from their phone, rather they call back. It's amusing that even the older, larger Blackberrys, stymie most people when it comes to typing. Most people are poor typists even on a good computer keyboard.
  • Reply 64 of 72
    Quote:

"Interesting that I have nothing respectful to say about Apple"? What? Have I said something disrespectful about Apple? What I said the BlackBerry is better than the iPhone and I have gone and hurt your feelings?

Jesus Christ, so much flaming over a comment that I do not even think was remotely anti-Apple. Are you people all mad???

The only reason why I have no iPhone is because it is not a device that i can use for business, plain and simple. I am employed in the communications industry, I sell business class applications that run on cellphones, BlackBerry and Windows mobile. As the Apple fan of the company I would love to see iPhone considered a business phone. But it is not, As Apple do not want it to be seemingly. Just like they do not want mobile me to become a success either.

I take it in your mind loving Apple must mean hating everything else? ?

People are responding to you in this way because of your tone. Its accusatory, definitive, an generally negative. You make it sound as if you have the right answers and Apple doesn't know what they are doing. Despite the fact that Apple is a multi-billion dollar company and have had stellar growth year over year for the past several years.

Keep in some context that the iPhone is one phone that cannot be everything to everybody. That is why BB makes many different phones. I don't believe Apple is attempting to displace the BB in business. Their emphasis is the general consumer and give business a few things that they can use.

Quote:

I just do not understand Apple's logic sometimes, they can make the strangest decisions with regard to products. Look at the huge success that the Netbook's have had this year, Apple have missed the boat completely on that and have no doubt lost notebook marketshare because of it. This is despite the fact many of us knew that this was going to be a huge area for notebook sales and were asking for a netbook mac over a year ago.

Netbooks have been a buzz word success. But I have not really seen that translated into significant marketshare or economic growth for the companies that produce them.
  • Reply 65 of 72
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

I really like your idea! I want this too.... you should submit this in to Apple.

I did already; a few times.

Thanks.
  • Reply 66 of 72
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Murphster

Ireland, here is a tip. Read the posts first if you want to comment, otherwise leave you accusations of trolling at home.

You can apologise if you want.

Ok, point taken. Sorry about that.

Quote:

What blogs are you talking about? Are you strange?

"Interesting that I have nothing respectful to say about Apple"? What? Have I said something disrespectful about Apple? What I said the BlackBerry is better than the iPhone and I have gone and hurt your feelings?

Jesus Christ, so much flaming over a comment that I do not even think was remotely anti-Apple. Are you people all mad???

Quote:

Thanks for agreeing with me then, it was Ireland who was mis-reading posts and telling me it was a "setting away". I was responding to someone who suggested that with the message tone you do not need an LED message indicator. Well with a phone in silent it sounds like you do.

I did misread it actually, I've been complaining about this before right here. A number of times, alarms and such; it's ridiculous. As a result when going to the theater if I don't want to completely power my iPhone off I have to check the calendar app to make sure there are no upcoming alarms that will chime in through the movie.
  • Reply 67 of 72
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

Yep. I want a "Games" folder for instance. As well as others. Not only will it be faster, but also much more organized.

I've got four screens filled with stuff, and each screen has its "theme".

I know what the themes are, so I don't need folders, exactly. In fact, I'd settle for

being able to swipe "left" from screen #1 to get "around" to screen #4. That would

save me a lot of swipes. (And similiarly, I'd like screen #4 to wrap forward to #1,

of course.)

We can do this on iTunes when we're looking through recommendations,

for example.
  • Reply 68 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lafe View Post

I've got four screens filled with stuff, and each screen has its "theme".

I know what the themes are, so I don't need folders, exactly. In fact, I'd settle for

being able to swipe "left" from screen #1 to get "around" to screen #4. That would

save me a lot of swipes. (And similiarly, I'd like screen #4 to wrap forward to #1,

of course.)

We can do this on iTunes when we're looking through recommendations,

for example.

I do that as best as I can, but there aren't enough programs of any one type for an entire screen. So in order to do that correctly, that is, one theme per page, I would have to break the programs into about six, and possibly more, screens.

That's too much to swipe through. and to tell the truth, its too much to remember which theme is on which page once you get past the third or forth one. After a time there might be more apps of one theme than fits on one page.

It will end up being a novel rather than a short story.
  • Reply 69 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fabsgwu View Post

I would like to see a better (or simplified) option for Application management/launching. I have over 30 apps spread over 5 home screens. It would be great to have consolidated folders or "Stacks" (Ior Spotlight? imagine that). One for Games, Readers, Music, Productivity, etc.

I've heard this request from others a few times but it never makes any sense to me.

Most people group their apps into the categories you are talking about by pages. It's kind of the whole point of multiple pages. I have four or five pages of apps myself and it takes something like a single second to flip from number one to number five with your thumb without even trying hard.

If instead of pages we used stacks, you have to click, wait for the stack to unfurl, select an app ... it just seems way longer to me.

Also, the stack would have to be limited to what can be displayed (16 or less apps) and would perform the same function as pages would anyway. An expanded stack displayed on a page would basically be ... a page.

It's like asking for a longer two-click solution to get to the same page of apps you could flip to faster the regular way (IMO of course). It also makes the concept of pages kind of irrelevant, but at the same time limits you to only four pages as there are only four spots on the dock. If you keep the concept of pages in *addition* to the stacks, then you have two UI elements that do similar things but are different. Waaay confusing if you ask me.
  • Reply 70 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I've heard this request from others a few times but it never makes any sense to me.

Most people group their apps into the categories you are talking about by pages. It's kind of the whole point of multiple pages. I have four or five pages of apps myself and it takes something like a single second to flip from number one to number five with your thumb without even trying hard.

If instead of pages we used stacks, you have to click, wait for the stack to unfurl, select an app ... it just seems way longer to me.

Also, the stack would have to be limited to what can be displayed (16 or less apps) and would perform the same function as pages would anyway. An expanded stack displayed on a page would basically be ... a page.

It's like asking for a longer two-click solution to get to the same page of apps you could flip to faster the regular way (IMO of course). It also makes the concept of pages kind of irrelevant, but at the same time limits you to only four pages as there are only four spots on the dock. If you keep the concept of pages in *addition* to the stacks, then you have two UI elements that do similar things but are different. Waaay confusing if you ask me.

You haven't read all of our posts on this, or don't understand them.

Folders would be much better than continued screens growing forever.

How, exactly do you expect to use ten, fifteen, or even more screens? You expect to swipe through all of them? Do you really expect to even remember what's on each screen? You won't.

It will be a mess.

folders are far better. Apple doesn't need to have a folder open up slowly. It can happen in a second, even with some visual junk to make it look "pretty". Swiping will be a real pain. It's already a pain with my four pages, even though they are organized.

Most of the programs on the first page don't need to be on the "desktop" at all. Do you really need the Stocks app all the time? Or the Settings? Even the Weather, Photos, Notes, You Tube, etc, can be put into a folder, or folders. so can other apps on that page. Possibly ALL of them.

Apple also doesn't have to abandon the concept of pages either. You can put folders on the second page as well, if you have that many. It would be up to the individual. You could even put some apps in folders, and leave others out.

You wouldn't even have to use them at all, if you enjoy swiping through a dozen or more pages, swiping back and forth as you go past the correct page before realizing it, and have to swipe back again every time you need something. Should be fun.

It will also be great when you download another app, which opens after the last app on the very last page, and you have to drag it to somewhere on a different line on the first page. That will be great! Then, because you might have one too many apps on that page now, every app will be moved one app forwards, so that the wrong app will now be the first app on a page behind where it used to be. Good stuff.

The option for folders should be there.
  • Reply 71 of 72
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

How, exactly do you expect to use ten, fifteen, or even more screens? You expect to swipe through all of them? Do you really expect to even remember what;s on each screen? You won't.

To back up your comment with a scenario since the idea of folders doesn't seem to be easily understood by all: You could have 16 folders on the first page of the Home Screen without even touching the main, bottom four apps. Tapping a single folder on the first page would be considerably faster than flicking to page sixteen.

Quote:

Most of the programs on the first page don't need to be on the "desktop" at all. Do you really need the Stocks app all the time? Or the Settings? Even the Weather, Photos, Notes, You Tube, etc, can be put into a folder, or folders. so can other apps on that page. Possibly ALL of them.

With my Jailbroken iPhone I have installed Poof and Boss Prefs specifically so I can hide apps that I don't use often. There was a Stacks apps for version 1.x, but I don't recall a Folders app.

Quote:

Apple also doesn't have to abandon the concept of pages either. You can put folders on the second page as well, if you have that many. It would be up to the individual. You could even put some apps in folders, and leave others out.

And you could have multiple pages within the folders, and folders within folders. The only difference would be that the upper-left App icon would always be set to back you out to the parent folder like typing 'cd ..↵" at the command line. This icon could also be named what the folder was named so you always know where you are. Pressing the Home Button would take you back to the root Home Screen.
  • Reply 72 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And you could have multiple pages within the folders, and folders within folders. The only difference would be that the upper-left App icon would always be set to back you out to the parent folder like typing 'cd ..↵" at the command line. This icon could also be named what the folder was named so you always know where you are. Pressing the Home Button would take you back to the root Home Screen.

That's correct. I didn't even bother to mention it, as I had already put down so much.