iPhone owners wrestle with missing e-mail downloads

Comments

• Reply 21 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al82 View Post

MY APPLE ACCOUNT HAS JUST RECEIVED A WARNING BECAUSE I POSTED A LINK TO THIS NEWS ARTICAL ON THE HELP FORUM WHERE ALL THOSE PEOPLE ARE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH 2.1

APPLE ARE DELETING ALL POSTS ON THEIR SITE WITH LINKS TO THIS NEWS REPORT AND:

http://digg.com/hardware/iPhone_owne...en_email_fetch

Seems ther take on this is to shut their CUSTOMERS up.

When someone is shouting... the correct response *is* to shut them up.

Just sayin,
  • Reply 22 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reaperducer View Post

No, it was not tested at all. They paid a 16-year-old kid to cobble it together in his mom's basement and then pushed it out on iTunes with no testing whatsoever. Isn't that how all companies do it?

Geez, I'm so sick of these whiners. Everything was pleasant (but admittedly not perfect) until iTunes/iPod for Windows. Then we got this huge influx of people who have complaining on the internet as their hobby. Now the iPhone has made it worse.

From the article -- six people had a problem and the guy labels it a "global" crisis. Ummm... no.

I'm not pretending that Apple is perfect, but you Windows whiners need to get a grip. Feel free to return all of your Apple gear so the signal to noise ratio on the internet can return to normal.

it is global. the 6 people who had the problem were a sample population. you know how polling works right?

nearly all my friends with iphones (including myself) have the issue. it is global, but not 100% obvious, and not easy to test. this is a serious problem though, one that is atypical of apple.

I'm an apple fanboy myself, but this whining is far from uncalled for.
  • Reply 23 of 87
    I actually own a lot of apple products and have not used a windows pc for almost 5 years now, i LOVE OSX.

This however is not on, im paying line rental and got this iphone heavily relying on the email features.

WHATS WORSE is apple sent me an email AGAIN saying if i link to this news report or if mention the problem again they will "The IP address(es) which you post from may be blocked, and your ISP may be notified."

They are threatening to notify my ISP that i am complaining about the level of service for the iphone and telling people others have this issue too.

As for 6 people having this problemS, me and 4 other i know who have iphone ALL have this problem, there are over 300 posts on apples site alone of people with this problem, not to mention hundreds more on other sites. So it's not 6 people. It is global as i am having the issue here in the uk and a lot of people in the usa are also.
  • Reply 24 of 87
    Between my wife and I, we have 3 iPhones and mail works beautifully. My wife really loves mobileme.
  • Reply 25 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Between my wife and I, we have 3 iPhones and mail works beautifully. My wife really loves mobileme.

Your luck because everyone i know here in the UK with an iphone is having this problem, i just got off the phone with a friend who has the 2g iphone and she is having this problem too.

If this gets sorted out in the next week i would stay with mobile me otherwise its pointless. Even before 2.1 i had to email apple who said the xxp nodes (or something like that) on my account were provisioned and they shouldn't be and a tech guy would work on it. Then it worked for 4-5 days then..............2.1.
  • Reply 26 of 87
    Thank You for bringing this problem some exposure. I've been having it since the 2.0 upgrade.

For others with the same problem see the Apple Boards.

I was very frustrated to not only find out the problem was not fixed in 2.1 but more people seem to be having it.
  • Reply 27 of 87
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Can't everyone please stop complaining and whining? It'll all work eventually- at least you all look cool with the iPhones. Isn't that what you basically want? Is that what it's all about? The economy is tanking- try complaining about something real for a change.
  • Reply 28 of 87
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As much as the iPhone 2.1 firmware appears to have resolved many outstanding glitches with Apple's device, an increasing number of users say the update has broken background e-mail checks.

Dozens of users in Apple's support forums (1, 2) note that Mail in version 2.1 appears to drop frequent mail checks regardless of whether the device is set to fetch messages on a schedule or to push mail in real time. As a result, these users often don't receive e-mail until they check manually -- even for Exchange and MobileMe accounts that should respond almost instantly.

Uh, that's nice, but receiving POP mail manually has been buggy on the G3 since release and still is under 2.1
  • Reply 29 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Can't everyone please stop complaining and whining? It'll all work eventually- at least you all look cool with the iPhones. Isn't that what you basically want? Is that what it's all about? The economy is tanking- try complaining about something real for a change.

This is a board to post comments on Apple Products. If you want to post on a political board then go to CNN or Fox.

No, this problem doesn't compare to the problems our economy is having but it does have a direct relationship that a large company can put out untested software and use its consumers to beta test it.

Is Apple ignoring the problem as our Government has the economy? 100%.

APPLE LOSING FAITH AS EACH DAY PASSES.
  • Reply 30 of 87
    I had exactly the same problem with my Microsoft Exchange acount for work. It results from an overload of data trying to be pushed to the device. In my case it was because the Iphone was trying to synch my calendar back almost four years. My calendar was averaging about 100 Meg. Other people in my company with Iphones were experiencing the same issue because their contacts book was so large. When this happens it not only fights for bandwidth with the push email but also with your overloaded item. In my case as soon as I wiped out several years worth of past meeting makers/appointments on my calendar, the Iphone suddenly synched up, and I could now see all calendar events and the push email began to work like a charm. Hasn't been a problem since. Obvioiusly this is not a long term fix and definitely identifies a serious flaw between the Iphone and the email server. It is also interesting to note that despite the fact I set the Iphone to only synch back two weeks with my calendar, it was in fact synching back as far as possible(thus resulting in the crash of my calendar and a lack of push email). This also affected my battery as it was constantly trying to synch. Now that I elimiated this issue I can see the benefits of increased battery life. Today was the first time that I got an entire day's worth of battery while on the 3G all day.

Another flaw with the 2.1 upgrade is that it affects the sound quality of voicemails on visual voicemail. Has anyone noticed that sound quality has been affected slightly? Clearly the compression rate/method has been altered and now it has a more tinny and less clear sound that prior to the 2.1 upgrade.

Just my two cents.
  • Reply 31 of 87
    I'm not experiencing this problem, using both MobileMe and an Exchange server. Both are set for "push" on the iPhone.

For those of you claiming you're waiting for the OS to come out of beta -- where are you getting your information that this is beta grade software? Hard evidence, please.
  • Reply 32 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcassara View Post

I'm not experiencing this problem, using both MobileMe and an Exchange server. Both are set for "push" on the iPhone.

For those of you claiming you're waiting for the OS to come out of beta -- where are you getting your information that this is beta grade software? Hard evidence, please.

How about a 250+ post thread on Apple's Support Forum about this thread. Seems like it is a pretty common problem that limits one of the primary functions of the iPhone.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=1708956
  • Reply 33 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rshames View Post

Today I received a voicemail 2 hours after it was left.

Heck, twice I've gotten text messages the next DAY after they were sent. So now we have reports just in this thread of all three forms of communication to the iPhone being significantly delayed. A panacea this device is not.
  • Reply 34 of 87
    No issues here.

Push email has worked well for me with exchange server, and Gmail IMAP since 2.0, and now works well with 2.1

As usual, the vast majority of posts concerning any software issue are from people who HAVE the issue...very few people not experiencing the issue are reporting their positive experience.

So, despite the 350+ (or whatever) posts on Apple.com, I doubt the issue is affecting as many iPhone users as some posters above believe. It certainly may be "global" - but that's a geographic term. ;-)
  • Reply 35 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by canuck68 View Post

Another flaw with the 2.1 upgrade is that it affects the sound quality of voicemails on visual voicemail. Has anyone noticed that sound quality has been affected slightly? Clearly the compression rate/method has been altered and now it has a more tinny and less clear sound that prior to the 2.1 upgrade.

Just my two cents.

Yeah, big difference in quality. Thank god everything else was fixed, I'll gladly take 2.1 over pre-2.1
  • Reply 36 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

As always, early adopters get to play beta tester. I, on the other hand, wait until everything has been ironed out before buying.

haha I couldnt agree more. Obviously it wont be perfect its still the first Iphone essentialy. I dont consider adding 3G and changing the back to plastic a new version but just bringing it up to par. its like the first ipod sure its cool but you know that the next one is gonna drasticly improve where the first fell short. Im totaly waiting for Apple to start using its own custom chips for Iphones by then im pretty sure its gonna be a decent Iphone actualy worth the money and hopefully because of the spread use of data rates will be just that little bit cheaper in canada to make me happy about getting one.

I saw this coming all along though. great things happen with time. like that guy said you guys are the experiment
  • Reply 37 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcassara View Post

Well whats YOUR evidence that its not By saying beta i think whats actualy meant is that its the first shot at something which could have used more thoroughly planed and worked on before having been released to the public. Apple didnt make its best Ipod software on the first try. Same deal here. Except this isnt just dealing with how people listen to their tracks. If it was the first phone ever people wouldnt be bother but the truth is that people now adays are so worried about their freakin phone that its a disaster. if i had an iphone i wouldnt give two shits wether it syncs them or not when i can just click on email and go somewhere iw ould end up clicking ANYWAYS if i did get one to check it . like whats the issue people your lives are not that important lololol just kidding... kinda.

really though people are just taking this above and beyond because tosome cellphone is the center of the universe
  • Reply 38 of 87
    I'd gladly replace email not updating automatically with my mobile Safari issue which is still freezing and crashing.
  • Reply 39 of 87
    Although 2.1 fixed all my 3G connection problems it did break the mail app on my phone, example i got 2 AOL account's on my iphone, both were working 100% with no issues, now 1 account is working fine the other, sent, trash, and Drafts folders have disappear, although they're setup to show on the phone they don't, to make matters worse the phone is not checking for mail anymore ether, so something is up with the mail app
  • Reply 40 of 87
    I'll have to say, I love my iPhone's email features. I never had a phone or smart phone that had such desktop like email. There might be some glitches here and there but I haven't experienced an annoyance since the early days of MobileMe, which seems to work fine now, though still slow when working from a web browser.

Just sharing my experience