Apple preparing to launch iPhone in 29 more countries

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple is gearing up for its third and final phase of international iPhone expansion during the 2008 calendar year, which will include launches in Russia, Brazil and Egypt, but not China or Korea.



Phase 3



Some of those launches are expected to take place as early as this weekend. E-mails sent to AppleInsider readers this week from local carriers imply the device will be available in both Brazil and South Africa this Friday, September 26th.



In total, Apple plans to announce iPhone availability in 29 additional countries, expanding its global footprint from 44 nations today to 73 by the end of the year.



A complete list of countries expected to be part of the phase 3 launch includes Botswana, Brazil, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Croatia, Dominican Republic, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Latvia, Lithuania, Madagascar, Mali, Malta, Mauritius, Nicaragua, Niger, Panama, Russia, Qatar, Senegal, South*Africa, Turkey, and Venezuela.



Phase 1



Apple's first phase iPhone 3G launch took place on July 11th, when it announced availability in 22 countries, including Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK and the US.



Phase 2



On August 22nd, the Cupertino-based company expanded distribution to 22 additional markets (1, 2, 3) with launches in Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Czech Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Greece, Guatemala, Honduras, Hungary, India, Liechtenstein, Macau, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Romania, Singapore, Slovakia, and Uruguay.



Apple has long stated that it planned to be selling the iPhone in more than 70 countries by the end of the year, though it had not previously provided a complete list of those nations.



Some notable omissions from the list of 29 phase 3 countries are China and Korea, where regulatory bodies appear to be complicating the launch process.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 42
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Some notable submissions . . .



    I think you meant "omissions".
  • Reply 2 of 42
    Is it a rumor that all cell phones are required to have a USB port in China?

    This rule is very sensible, but of course it would be an obstacle for the iPhone.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidswelt View Post


    Is it a rumor that all cell phones are required to have a USB port in China?

    This rule is very sensible, but of course it would be an obstacle for the iPhone.



    It doesn't sound sensible or even centsible to me.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    no United Arab Emirates

    Damnit Etisalat
  • Reply 5 of 42
    You need to change the name of this website to iPhoneInsider.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    Android will disappear faster than you can say "party plane!".



    Blackberry and RIM can also kiss their collective arses goodbye as well, but that will take a while.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    Damn, no Malaysia again? Noo!!! and I thought Malaysia is going to get iPhone 3G by the end of this year.



    Well I dont trust Android no restriction market cause clones of the same apps will start appearing, And also some guy mentioned that po.rn will be included in Android App Store, if its remain open like what Google says.



    Meanwhile, Apple need to clean their act with the AppStore. its T&C is getting more ridiculous. I understand why they want to do it but some of it is too much.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post




    Phase 3



    A complete list of countries expected to be part of the phase 3 launch includes Botswana, Brazil, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Croatia, Dominican Republic, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Latvia, Lithuania, Madagascar, Mali, Malta, Mauritius, Nicaragua, Niger, Panama:, Russia, Qatar, Senegal, South*Africa, Turkey, and Venezuela.



    Phase 1



    Apple's first phase iPhone 3G launch took place on July 11th, when it announced availability in 22 countries, including Australia, Austria, Belgium , Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK and the US.



    Phase 2



    On August 22nd, the Cupertino-based company expanded distribution to 22 additional markets (1, 2, 3) with launches in Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Czech Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Greece, Guatemala, Honduras, Hungary, India, Liechtenstein, Macau, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Romania, Singapore, Slovakia, and Uruguay.



    Apple has long stated that it planned to be selling the iPhone in more than 70 countries by the end of the year, though it had not previously provided a complete list of those nations.



    Some notable omissions from the list of 29 phase 3 countries are China and Korea, where regulatory bodies appear to be complicating the launch process.



    Yeah one very noticeable omission ; AVAILABILITY



    This is from the mobistar website in Belgium

    Crap availability



    Order now your iPhone online

    Select your iPhone from the 3 available models



    Black 8GB 525? Out of stock \t

    Black 16GB 615? Out of stock

    White 16GB 615?



    Maybe before "selling" the device in category/priority 3 markets and creating an unnecessary buzz with even more unnecessary investment bankers, just maybe it is about time and making sure that a category/priority 1 market gets enough gear ?



    At this rate I am losing interest in the current models and wait for the refresh after xmas....



    I guess Cuba is not on their list yet
  • Reply 9 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Apple is gearing up for its third and final phase ...



    You know, almost the only interesting thing about this article is the issue of why exactly they are not deploying in China, and the article provides no information at all on that subject. Even a few lines about what the rumoured reasons are would be more helpful than what you have actually published.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    I'm personally very surprised that neither Malaysia nor Indonesia will be in the 2008 round of countries receiving the iPhone 3G.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    tum, te tum
  • Reply 12 of 42
    Nice, I hope 2.2 will be included. Wishing.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    But will the launch be "snappier"?



    That's what I want to know!
  • Reply 14 of 42
    I think that the most complicated one to launch was Liechtenstein. I've been told it's bigger than Russia!
  • Reply 15 of 42
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,166member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post


    Nice, I hope 2.2 will be included. Wishing.



    They have to update the OS to include Arabic language support if they are going to release it Egypt, Jordan, or Qatar this weekend. Releasing the iPhone without local language support is worst than not releasing it. However, the update could be 2.1.1.



    EDIT: They must release an update this month to meet their push notification service deadline (Sept 08)
  • Reply 16 of 42
    boogabooga Posts: 1,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post


    Android will disappear faster than you can say "party plane!".



    Blackberry and RIM can also kiss their collective arses goodbye as well, but that will take a while.



    Why would it? Google doesn't seem interested in making a profit, and it's completely subsidized by their search monopoly.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post


    They have to update the OS to include Arabic language support if they are going to release it Egypt, Jordan, or Qatar this weekend. Releasing the iPhone without local language support is worst than not releasing it.



    Anything less than heiroglyphics and I'll be pissed.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Phase 3



    ... Botswana, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Croatia, Equatorial Guinea, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Madagascar, Mali, Malta, Mauritius, Senegal ...



    Apple can't be serious. THOSE countries and NOT Bulgaria? Most of the rest of Europe is covered already.



    I go to Bulgaria once or twice a year for family, friends and business. Although there are hardly any Macs there (I know 3 or 4 people that have Macs).



    Phase 4?
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NanoAkron View Post


    I'm personally very surprised that neither Malaysia nor Indonesia will be in the 2008 round of countries receiving the iPhone 3G.



    Do they have electricity yet?
  • Reply 20 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post


    Do they have electricity yet?



    Very nice post, yes sir. Making friends everywhere. And people wonder why everybody hates the US. People like you make me embarrassed of being American.
Sign In or Register to comment.