Placeholders for new Macs showing up in retail systems?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Some Apple Authorized Resellers may be getting the nod from their Apple reps to begin preparing their inventory systems for the arrival of several new Mac models, according to a new rumor.

A screenshot submitted anonymously to MacRumors claims to show place holders for six new Macs listed in the inventory system of Canada's FutureShop, a subsidiary of Best Buy.

No further details are available and the image has not been independently verified. That said, Best Buy has been notorious in recent years for providing advanced notice of new Apple products through updates to its internal systems, which inevitably get leaked on the Web.

The most recent incident took place this past February when the retailer's system revealed precise part numbers and pricing for the current generation of MacBooks and MacBook Pros ahead of Apple's official announcement.

If genuine and taken at face value, FutureShop's inventory system would suggest the release of six new Macs, which would likely coincide with three new models of MacBooks and three new models of MacBook Pros (two 15-inch, one 17-inch).

An image reportedly taken of FutureShop's inventory system | Source: MacRumors.

A recent report has suggested October 14th as a likely announcement for the new notebooks, which falls inline AppleInsider's previously-published 2008 hardware roadmap.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Some Apple Authorized Resellers may be getting the nod from their Apple reps to begin preparing their inventory systems for the arrival of several new Mac models, according to a new rumor.

A screenshot submitted anonymously to MacRumors claims to show place holders for six new Macs listed in the inventory system of Canada's FutureShop, a subsidiary of Best Buy.

No further details are available and the image has not been independently verified. That said, Best Buy has been notorious in recent years for providing advanced notice of new Apple products through updates to its internal systems, which inevitably get leaked on the Web.

The most recent incident took place this past February when the retailer's system revealed precise part numbers and pricing for the current generation of MacBooks and MacBook Pros ahead of Apple's official announcement.

If genuine and taken at face value, FutureShop's inventory system would suggest the release of six new Macs, which would likely coincide with three new models of MacBooks and three new models of MacBook Pros (two 15-inch, one 17-inch).

An image reportedly taken of FutureShop's inventory system | Source: MacRumors.

A recent report has suggested October 14th as a likely announcement for the new notebooks, which falls inline AppleInsider's previously-published 2008 hardware roadmap.

Maybe, but Best Buy missed on the current model iMacs, so they ain't perfect.
  • Reply 2 of 52
    13" - $899 - $1099 - Good and best one

15"- $1299 - $1599 - Good and best one

17" - $1599 - $1999 - Good and best one

Macbooks, macbooks, macbooks
  • Reply 3 of 52
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    I imagine we're expecting at least a speed bump for the iMac, Mac Pro and Mac Mini (assuming it survives!)... Plus, the MacBook Air could probably do with an update...
  • Reply 4 of 52
    Bring it on, these things are WAY overdue
  • Reply 5 of 52
    i think they will hold off until macworld for desktops. they still have to find a way to incorporate multitouch for them.
  • Reply 6 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

13" - $899 - $1099 - Good and best one

15"- $1299 - $1599 - Good and best one

17" - $1599 - $1999 - Good and best one

Macbooks, macbooks, macbooks

You really think they will forego the MBP altogether for 6 MacBooks in three sizes with only 2 CPU choices in each? None of that sounds feasible to me from a sound business standpoint or looking at Apple's history.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

I imagine we're expecting at least a speed bump for the iMac, Mac Pro and Mac Mini (assuming it survives!)... Plus, the MacBook Air could probably do with an update...

The MBA will get the SFF Montevina/Penryn, which will lower the TDP, increase the L2 and FSB, but will keep the CPU speed the same if they keep it that same chip category.

The Mini has been without an update for so long that I think it will be replaced with an entirely new product in that category.
  • Reply 7 of 52
    1. Consumer level portable

2. Consumer level portable (bigger & faster)

3. Pro level portable 15"

4. Pro level portable 15" (bigger & faster)

5. Pro level portable 17"

6. Whatever this Brick thing is.
  • Reply 8 of 52
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Guys it is no time to get wildly excited about 6 new macs if these are indeed SKU's. It is not uncommon for Apple to have at least 3 SKU's for each model of Mac. So this could be a MacBook update along with a MINI update or any combination of other platforms that end up in a 2 x 3 arraignment.

Of course there is a high probability of two models of portables but even here Apple has three distinct models in the line up. So maybe we will see a MacBook and a AIR update. Then you have the possibility that All three get updated to have two SKU's each.

The thing is this the AIR and to a lesser extent the MacBook are in greater need of an update than the MBP. Well that and the Mini which more of an update than any of them.

Dave
  • Reply 9 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

We're expecting Macbook and Macbook Pro updates.

It's very unlikely the Mac Pro is going to be updated anytime soon, and unlikely the iMac is going to be updated. Desktops will likely wait till next year.

We might get a Mac Mini update.
  • Reply 10 of 52
    Sweet, curious as to what the brick is though.
  • Reply 11 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You really think they will forego the MBP altogether for 6 MacBooks in three sizes with only 2 CPU choices in each? None of that sounds feasible to me from a sound business standpoint or looking at Apple's history.

The MBA will get the SFF Montevina/Penryn, which will lower the TDP, increase the L2 and FSB, but will keep the CPU speed the same if they keep it that same chip category.

The Mini has been without an update for so long that I think it will be replaced with an entirely new product in that category.

Stories earlier this year about new Mini proved to be false, at least to date. They were the same stories that talked about the iMac update which did occur. Things don't look real bright for the Mini, IMO.
  • Reply 12 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Guys it is no time to get wildly excited about 6 new macs if these are indeed SKU's. It is not uncommon for Apple to have at least 3 SKU's for each model of Mac. So this could be a MacBook update along with a MINI update or any combination of other platforms that end up in a 2 x 3 arraignment.

Of course there is a high probability of two models of portables but even here Apple has three distinct models in the line up. So maybe we will see a MacBook and a AIR update. Then you have the possibility that All three get updated to have two SKU's each.

The thing is this the AIR and to a lesser extent the MacBook are in greater need of an update than the MBP. Well that and the Mini which more of an update than any of them.

Dave

I am still dreaming about a Blu-Ray drive for a MBP. A faster processor, more ram, or a bigger hard drive is only incremental. We want a real upgrade before we spend money on a newer laptop. BLU-RAY please. Any idea of when the next Apple presentation will be? Last rumor was sometime in October.
  • Reply 13 of 52
    The funny thing is that Futureshop is owned by Best Buy, I hope people know that and dont over look it....gotta love the shot from Futureshop aka Best Buy's Inventory system which is RSS, which could be anyone in their company.
  • Reply 14 of 52
    I think its going to be a MacBook. Apple is not using Montevina right?

Honestly, I dont know how Apple is going to make the MacPro design better because its very neat and everything it so easy, not to mention very powerful.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

I think its going to be a MacBook. Apple is not using Montevina right?

Honestly, I dont know how Apple is going to make the MacPro design better because its very neat and everything it so easy, not to mention very powerful.

The Macbook Pro will most likely have an update to the locking system like the Macbooks and most likely blu-ray/superdrive.
  • Reply 16 of 52
    I'd guess a new version of the MacMini, which will somehow be connectible to a dock....
  • Reply 17 of 52
    We can stop the presses on this right now. These were set up at the same time at the iPod skus in order to have them available for the inevitable Apple launches that will happen sometime in the future. They are not indicative of any new shipping skus.
  • Reply 18 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grahamw View Post

We can stop the presses on this right now. These were set up at the same time at the iPod skus in order to have them available for the inevitable Apple launches that will happen sometime in the future. They are not indicative of any new shipping skus.

Neener, neener, I knew it!
  • Reply 19 of 52
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Captain Jack View Post

Sweet, curious as to what the brick is though.

I'm guessing that the power brick for the macbooks will turn into something more like an airport express. Moving ports for printers, internet, speakers etc. onto the power brick with built in wifi would make Apple computing more about portability than ever before.

I remember last year sometime that Steve was very interested in the concept of shareable wireless connections - even having a private interview with the maker of "fon". Maybe by including similar technology (enabling users to piggy back off each others wifi) in the power brick that sells with every mac laptop would allow for fast market penetration (compared to selling it as a new airport express separately) making the technology more useful and would introduce another point of difference between macs and PC's.
  • Reply 20 of 52
    to bad that will piss off IPS and comcarp.