Next-gen MacBook, MacBook Pro spotted in matching outfits

Comments

• Reply 141 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

What are you going to switch to after nine years? Vista ?!@#$%^&*

Idle threats.

Pros love to bitch and moan but really you spend $5000 on a camera and can't spend $20 bucks on a FireWire 800 to 400 cable. Most Pros already cart around crates full of every imaginable cable, dongle and adapter known to man.

Just call me "bag man"-- my compulsion, though, is making the bags to carry the stuff look good-- lots of nice leather pouches and bags fit just right. Sick, totally sick.
  • Reply 142 of 162
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

I have to look when I'm typing numbers. Still, I've been amazed what a popular feature the backlit keyboard is. It matters none to me and I'd rather see the money go toward memory or bigger drives.

I don't think the feature really costs a lot of money.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jameswoulds32 View Post

After apples previous overhauls, what was done with the obsolete computers? How were they sold, ~at what kind of discount, where, ect.?

Apple doesn't have any sort of program for trading in old Macs, that I've heard of.

I'm pretty sure what was meant was the overstock of the previous model.

I think they do take in old Macs as part of their recycling program, though even if it's dead, it's probably still worth more to resell it for parts.

Apple often sells the previous model at a bit of a discount, maybe 10%, while they have stock. I've heard that Apple stores sell them, but I've not seen it myself. They often list them on the apple store site, go to the "Clearance" link in the "Special Deals" box. Right now it's just iPods, but that makes sense.
  • Reply 143 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think the feature really costs a lot of money.

I'm pretty sure what was meant was the overstock of the previous model.

I think they do take in old Macs as part of their recycling program, though even if it's dead, it's probably still worth more to resell it for parts.

Apple often sells the previous model at a bit of a discount, maybe 10%, while they have stock. I've heard that Apple stores sell them, but I've not seen it myself. They often list them on the apple store site, go to the "Clearance" link in the "Special Deals" box. Right now it's just iPods, but that makes sense.

Apple stopped selling discounted models in the Apple Stores, the only source is the online Apple Store, or perhaps a third party vendor that has some old stock on hand. At the online store, go the lower left of the page, and click on "Refurbished Mac".
  • Reply 144 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

Apple stopped selling discounted models in the Apple Stores, the only source is the online Apple Store, or perhaps a third party vendor that has some old stock on hand. At the online store, go the lower left of the page, and click on "Refurbished Mac".

The Refurbished Macs are usually ones that have been repaired. You want to click on "Clearance" if you want to get reduced prices on non-used Macs that were discontinued.
  • Reply 145 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The Refurbished Macs are usually ones that have been repaired. You want to click on "Clearance" if you want to get reduced prices on non-used Macs that were discontinued.

In all of the time that I've spent there, I've never seen a Mac in the clearance section. Those have always shown up in the refurb section. YMMV
  • Reply 146 of 162
    Quote:

In all of the time that I've spent there, I've never seen a Mac in the clearance section.

I have. They don't last very long.
  • Reply 147 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I have. They don't last very long.

It must be then that I looked at the wrong time. How do the prices compare with refurbed models, model to model? This is surprising, as I have spent a lot of time looking there for clearance model Macs, and never saw even one. That would lead me to believe that any finds are based on pure luck, as opposed to the refurb models.
  • Reply 148 of 162
    Quote:

In all of the time that I've spent there, I've never seen a Mac in the clearance section. Those have always shown up in the refurb section. YMMV

Most of the time, yes, but there were iMacs in the clearance section for a few months after the last update.
  • Reply 149 of 162
    Quote:

It must be then that I looked at the wrong time. How do the prices compare with refurbed models, model to model? This is surprising, as I have spent a lot of time looking there for clearance model Macs, and never saw even one. That would lead me to believe that any finds are based on pure luck, as opposed to the refurb models.

It has usually been iMacs but I've seen Macbook Pros in the clearance section before. They don't just appear there at random, only after an update. Price is in between the new price and the refurb price.
  • Reply 150 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

It has usually been iMacs but I've seen Macbook Pros in the clearance section before. They don't just appear there at random, only after an update. Price is in between the new price and the refurb price.

Well then, a refurb makes more sense, if it's cheaper, as it has same warranty as a brand new model. Thanks, I'll quit looking in the clearance section, in the future.
  • Reply 151 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

This seems to be your personal opinion. What you list aren't necessarily "pro" features or useful for the wider market.

No, it's not my personal opinion. IT'S WHAT THE COMPETITION HAS (at least when it comes to things like 4 USB ports and dual drive bays and Blu Ray). The idea of an 8-bit LCD and a built-in Wacom tablet... makes me drool... Lenovo has it... why not Apple?

I could honestly live without dual drive bays. But Blu Ray? Tablet of some kind with stylus? 8-bit LCD? Perhaps eSATA? Standard **** man. But Apple doesn't have it, and all of you drones have a head-in-the-sand mentality. It's pathetic.
  • Reply 152 of 162
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darkgoob View Post

Lenovo has it... why not Apple?

Head-in-the-sand mentality is thinking that Apple has to offer something because Lenovo does. There are things that Lenovo et al. will offer that Apple won't, and there are things that Apple will offer over the others. We have the option of choice. If Lenovo fits your needs better then go with Lenovo, but suggesting that a thriving company is doing it wrong because they do fit your specific needs makes no sense.

Quote:

I could honestly live without dual drive bays. But Blu Ray?

Since Apple is pushing Time Machine, I would personally like to have mirrored dual drives, but in the iMac, not the notebook line since cloud computing takes care of my needs when traveling and a simple FW plug does the rest when I connect the notebook. I just don't need the weight, cost or size increase of the additional drive. Besides Blu-ray being a lame duck for all but a few customers, Blu-ray doesn't seem to be possible at this time with any of the available drives I can find. Only the 24" iMac and 17" MBP would be able to take such a drive, and those 12.7mm drives are about a $1000 retail.
  • Reply 153 of 162
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Head-in-the-sand mentality is thinking that Apple has to offer something because Lenovo does. There are things that Lenovo et al. will offer that Apple won't, and there are things that Apple will offer over the others. We have the option of choice.

This would be a fine and neat argument, if Apple was in the market of making Windows computers. But it isn't. Macs are dependent on OS X to survive, and OS X is dependent on enough suitable hardware being available. I'm not saying that Apple needs to make absolutely every sort of hardware, but they can't be very picky either. Should they choose to only make e.g. a Mac Pro, their Mac business would go under in short order.

So no, we don't really have so much choice as long as Lenovos don't run OS X.

Quote:

If Lenovo fits your needs better then go with Lenovo, but suggesting that a thriving company is doing it wrong because they do fit your specific needs makes no sense.

What *really* makes no sense is to suggest that Apple's success means all of its individual decisions are perfect.
  • Reply 154 of 162
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

This would be a fine and neat argument, if Apple was in the market of making Windows computers. But it isn't.

Where have you been for the last two years? They do make Windows compaitble computers so they are Windows computers. They even supply a nifty dynamic partition resizer app that allows contain all the necessary drivers.

Quote:

Macs are dependent on OS X to survive, and OS X is dependent on enough suitable hardware being available.

Now you are arguing my side. Of course Macs are dependent on OS X. Without OS X they would just be nicer looking PCs with a few extra HW components. The fact that Apple's PC business would die if they were forced to supply drivers and support OS X can run on any and all HW that Windows wishes to support is irresponsible in a free market.

Quote:

So no, we don't really have so much choice as long as Lenovos don't run OS X.

You mean like I have no choice but to buy an Xbox if I want to play Xbox games on Xbox Live? Should be illegal for the gaming console industry to force me to buy their HW -AND= SW combinations? Of course not! If you want a supported version of OS X you buy a Mac. If you want a cheap computer you buy an older Mac or you buy another brand of PC. Just because you want OS X to be socialized doesn't make it illegal.

Quote:

What *really* makes no sense is to suggest that Apple's success means all of its individual decisions are perfect.

Saying that Apple is thriving is a fact. Saying that "all of its individual decisions are perfect" is something I never implied and that you just made up. Apple had made plenty of mistakes, but tying an OS to HW so it can offer advantages over other PCs is not one of them, as the adoption rate of Macs v. other PCs shows.

For instance, no other PCs currently have a "gesturizing" multi-touch trackpad. Synaptic just announced that will be providing drivers for it, but that still leaves the issue of having the OS create frameworks and settings for multi-touch, and individual applications utilizing the frameworks. Can you guess which HW and SW platform has had them in production for almost a year now?
  • Reply 155 of 162
    I'm amazed at how photoshop pirates think that if they alter an apple photo they will fool somebody. They just take the some design elements and shrink or enlarge them. Let's make a 30 inch screen like an iPhone or a iMac screen the size of a tablet. Come on guys think different and get more creative.

• Reply 156 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobborries View Post

I'm amazed at how photoshop pirates think that if they alter an apple photo they will fool somebody. They just take the some design elements and shrink or enlarge them. Let's make a 30 inch screen like an iPhone or a iMac screen the size of a tablet. Come on guys think different and get more creative.

You are misusing the word "pirate".

For the most part, you are probably misreading their intentions. I don't see most of them as trying to fool people, though some are. Most of the rest seem to be doing it as a fun exercise.
  • Reply 157 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobborries View Post

I know someone who would buy this. In a heartbeat. And that makes me kinda sad.
  • Reply 158 of 162
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism

Saying t hat Apple is thriving is a fact. Saying that "all of its individual decisions are perfect" is something I never implied and thatyou just made up.

"suggesting that a thriving company is doing it wrong because they do fit your specific needs makes no sense "

That sentence implies that if a company is successful, criticism of their strategy must be wrong. If you didn't want to imply it, you would have dropped "thriving", which leaves

"suggesting that a company is doing it wrong because they do fit your specific needs makes no sense"

and that I would agree with.

It's funny how *directly* after claiming you didn't commit the fallacy, you repeat it and make it more explicit:

Quote:

Apple had made plenty of mistakes, but tying an OS to HW so it can offer advantages over other PCs is not one of them, as the adoption rate of Macs v. other PCs shows.

Adoption of Macs vs. other PC's shows they are attractive to some consumers for some reason. Absent further arguments, the rest is just your guess.
  • Reply 159 of 162
    Latest photoshop job....

• Reply 160 of 162
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jezThomp View Post

Latest photoshop job....

Looks nice. I hate black keyboards though. \