Ballmer changes tune and dances around Apple's success

Comments

• Reply 21 of 92
    Is there anyone out there who thinks Microsoft has a clue when in comes to future technology directions, innovation, etc.?

I think Apple owns that franchise.

Microsoft is not in the technology business. Nor in the innovation business. They're in the marketing business. It's about bundling and deal making for them.

Microsoft's greatest (only?) successes have come from copying others. They ripped off spreadheets from Lotus. Word processing from Word Perfect. Operating systems from Apple. And many many more. They are such major league pirates and yet they have the gall to rail against software piracy.

I'll give them this much. Steve Ballmer is the perfect guy to oversee their downfall.
  • Reply 22 of 92
    Quote:

Ballmer: "There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance."

You'd think this guy would have learned from this humiliating mistake.

Erm no..remember when iPhone was released he says its the most expensive phone in the world, no build in keyboard and nobody would buy it? Look what happen now?
  • Reply 23 of 92
    i think he's a psychopath!

mac osX is selling very well, which automatically means that macs sell very well. and since the iphone runs on osX too, it sells very well...

to call the iphone a closed system proves that he doesn't really know what he's taking about... i mean the software side... or is he talking about the hardware side??

the hardware has been the strong point of apple since they directly control quality and compliance all the way, that's why macs and the iphone is much more reliable (the iphone is still very new, so some glitches are understandable)....

i think windows mobile is a much more closed system,. since M$ controls the s/w and no one really knows what software upgrades might bring... osX, based on unix (like linux) is what it is and is very solid base for programmers, thus the huge success with the app store... but apple needs to loosen up its restrictive policy!!! GPS and bluetooth have to be accessible, or many companies trying to write apps for the iphone will look elsewhere...

my old phone, the tro650, was my navigation device... i don't understand why apple is not coming thur with a good navigation app on their own or allowing one or all of the navigation comapnies, like tomtom or garmin, to release an app ASAP.... people want it, so give it to them...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 24 of 92
    "Microsoft's Windows Vista, a year and a half after launch, had still only reached 8.8% deployment in the enterprise. That was far short of Microsoft's original goal of 20% Vista adoption by the end of 2007."

And thus those nauseating Seinfeld TV ads, whose narrow target-demographic is the group of corporate IT decision-maker / influencer cubicle-monkeys who are (correctly) nervous about migrating from XP to Vista.
  • Reply 25 of 92
    In all seriousness, if there has ever been a candidate for world champion blow hard of all time, it is this pompous buffoon. He is so monumentally wrong he could run Lehman Bros into the ground single handidly-oh wait, somebody already has.
  • Reply 26 of 92
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by corinhorn View Post

I don't see why so many Windows lovers think having a device in which the hardware is designed by company A and the software designed by company F is a good thing.

MS problem isn't that they run on a lot of different hardware, but rather what they are running software wise is crap. Or at least people have the perception that Windows is crap. Linux on the other hand runs on vastly more hardware but can be tailored specifically for that hardware. Frankly some installations of Linux run better than MS could ever hope to run.

So I don't see hardware, in all the possible types, as being the issue. There is a perfectly good example of an OS that can work well on all sorts of hardware. MS is rather a good example of an American corporation run by un-skilled managers that don't grasp the technology.

I look at MS this way: there are a lot of very bright people there but that alone does not build a team focused on a common goal. That is what a good manager should be doing, frankly as part of a team. Windows is a good example of something that grew without control and thoughtful structuring. I expect that in ten years time they will either have gone thru a bunch of managers to find a good one or will have ended up as a business schools textbook example of how not to manage technology.

Dave
  • Reply 27 of 92
    Am I the only one thinking Microsoft is getting scared? See that the iPhone has sold sum 9 millions phones so far. O_o
  • Reply 28 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BHoughton View Post

I never liked Apple.

Ever.

I've used Windows since 3.1 and was blindly fanboyish towards them.

But when I bought an iPhone and actually saw the quality and attention to detail that Apple puts into their products, it made me go out an buy a brand new MacBook Pro for school.

It's been about 3 months now and since I have transferred any important files from my Windows PC, I no longer use it. In fact, I actually packed it up and stuck it out in the garage today.

The point to this post is that he is claiming that Apple is going to eventually fail with the iPhone. But from my experience, the iPhone is what made me an avid Apple fan.

I doubt that I'm the only one who has done this.

I agree. I took a course in Mac OS X and because we were trying to run the OS on antiquated equipment, and that I had nothing but contempt for the instructor I filed my experience away as "Not bad, but not for me" When I bought a MP3 player I went with Sansa and not Apple, but I bought an iPhone and it is a very nice piece of technology. So I bought a MacBook and after two days packed it up and I am going to give it to my parents for Christmas, I bought a iBook G4 off Ebay and I'll use that till I can buy a Mac Pro. I have used Windows since MSDOS and currently do server support in a Windows environment, I have lived and breathed Windows for a very long time. I have used AIX, Linux of a variety of flavours, however I'm now an Apple convert and over the next year will have only Linux and OS X boxes in my household. It's when developers and back end support staff start looking seriously at OS X as a desktop option, it's the start of the wedge. VMWare is also contributing to it as you can reduce Windows to where it belongs, at the application layer.
  • Reply 29 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Ballmer: "There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance."

You'd think this guy would have learned from this humiliating mistake.

His mistake parallels that of many media outlets. They report the news they way they WANT it to be, rather than the way it IS.

He's living proof that you only need a sub-par intellect to work at MS, or be a CEO for that matter.
  • Reply 30 of 92
    Quote:

my old phone, the tro650, was my navigation device... i don't understand why apple is not coming thur with a good navigation app on their own or allowing one or all of the navigation comapnies, like tomtom or garmin, to release an app ASAP.... people want it, so give it to them...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup Yup, I want GPS for my MountainBike, but I dont want to use Windows App. There is not many proper mac GPS software and hardware compatible. I havent find any, but im sure there is some out there.

Mac use Intel and REAL Virtualization softwares is really one of the best things that come for OS X.
  • Reply 31 of 92
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Absolutely. Android could potentially be the death of microsoft as we know it. Actually not 'could', 'will' be the death of msft.

How again? MS mobile stuff really isn't of any significance as it is. Cut off an opponent's pinky and most of the opponent is still there.
  • Reply 32 of 92
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Ballmer's like a fish out of water. He looks and acts like a car salesman trying to run a large tech corporation.

Yeah, over 100,000,000 apps sold in 60 days and 20 Million phones sold by the end of this calendar year I can see where he'd get that opinion. I wouldn't like to see what he'd have said if they iPhone wasn't a runaway success. Also, what he fails to realize is the it's not just a phone, a mini computer, or a smartphone, but the groundwork for the markingting and technology that will help sell the world the Mac touch and its user interface when it makes a splash next year with Snow Leopard. Ballmer has no clue what's coming.

Fat, Angry men don't influence me. Ballmer like Microsoft has become stale, predictable and boring.

I am trying to figure out if Steve Ballmer is an idiot or just plain dumb. I know he is rich, but that doesn't mean anything. Hey Ballmer, can you help me out here? Yeah, like Microsoft is in the game with the Zune. They sell 1 million units per year and Apple sells that many iPods in a day or two. yeah, Microsoft is in the game. Oh, OK Steve, anything you say. By the time Microsoft figures out how to make something as good as the iPhone, Apple will have a new version with more features. And by that time, Apple's market cap will be as big as Microsofts, but with a lot less employees than Microsoft. Hmmmm... Can you say efficiently run company? I think Ballmer is drunk with ego.
  • Reply 33 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

...... Apple has such enormous potential in its hands with the iPhone and I do worry that its attitude towards the development community at the moment leaves a lot to be desired and could be its undoing Vs. Android et. al.

+++

Plus while we're at it, can we do away with the niche marketing strategy. Why is ATT the only provider in the USA and how again does this benefit Apple? If all ATT is going to do is partially subsidize the handset cost then Apple should make iPhones that work on other networks and sell them with other providers.

While everyone thought Apple squeezed ATT in the original deal, right now it would appear that ATT has the better terms by far. They are exclusive providers of the iPhone but can and do sell competing products. But is Apple selling iPhones on Verizon or Sprints networks?

Hell, a spokesman for ATT said they may sell Android phones in the future.
  • Reply 34 of 92
    The reason that I can figure out why Apple have exclusive carrier is because they want a constant amount of cash flow, right now the iPod market is no more as good as last time, sales are getting slower and etc. By Apple having a fixed provider, the provider must pay Apple continuously, regardless if the market has slow down or not.

Im not sure I get it all right, but I think I get part of the reason?
  • Reply 35 of 92
    The guy is just amazing. He has no understanding at all how his business works. Complexity. Com-Plex-It-Y. It's the enemy of high technology. One software platform to many hardware hosts is way more complex than one platform to one host. That's what's killing Windows. They have an army of programmers just to fine tune Vista's thousands of moving parts to fit all the different motherboard and processor configurations out there.

Windows succeeded not because of its one-to-many model. It succeeded in spite of it because IBM gifted them with a monopoly in the PC market. Gates outmaneuvered IBM by not giving IBM exclusivity over DOS. But to actually wrest control of the PC market from IBM, Microsoft needed the clone industry to grow and grow fast so that MS is not hostage to one PC manufacturer. But Microsoft could not build the machines themselves. First of all because they didn't have any manufacturing skills or capabilities. Secondly, because that's in direct competition to IBM and I don't think they wanted IBM to wise up right away to what they were doing. So the way to undermine IBM was to encourage 3rd party clone makers.

If IBM had acquired the exclusive rights to DOS, there would be no PC clones, IBM probably still dominate the PC market, and MS would not be the industrial hegemonist that it is now. This suboptimal solution of one platform - many hardware manufacturers is an accident of history that arose out of the above-mentioned special circumstances. For Ballmer to claim that it is naturally superior to one platform - one hardware manufacturer only reveals the depth of his misunderstanding.
  • Reply 36 of 92
    Jeebus McRee--could there be a more unsuitable figurehead for a tech company in this day and age? I cringe every time I see this pithecoid buffoon going into one of his tirades. (It's painful for me to say, because except for the fact that I've still got all my hair, I resemble him more than a little.)

Instead of paying Jerry Seinfeld 10 megabucks to change their image, I think they need to hire a front man who won't frighten little children! Ballmer could still run the company into the ground behind the scenes, I hope he does; but if I were them, I'd try to find a little more presentable sock puppet for public appearances. Is Bob still available?
  • Reply 37 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Indeed, you're certainly not the only one. As far as I can see, the "iPhone halo effect" has a much greater potential to get people to switch to Macs than the "iPod halo effect". This is a very exciting prospect. I only hope that Apple doesn't fuck it up by pissing off all the iPhone developers. The fact that the NDA prevents discussion about iPhone development really is ridiculous and I hope Apple sorts it out soon.

Besides the Halo Effects mentioned, the Apple Store themselves are,IMO, offering the most powerful hallow effect in that all Macs can be used first-hand before buying and they can be taken home immediately, without some archaic BTO system from Dell kiosks or the old Getaway back-allay stores that forgoes the powerful of instant gratification.

THe NDA issue is s slap in the face, but it appears that the growth and success of the App Store make make these select issues inconsequential in the long run.
  • Reply 38 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasein View Post

Try OpenOffice...it's free and the new beta is written natively for the OS X

http://download.openoffice.org/680/

It reads/writes to the MS Suite.

Does it actually work yet? I tried it a few months ago, and it took 30 minutes just to load, and barely was able to do anything at all on then brand new iMac. I wrote it off as still beta for a reason (not ready yet).
  • Reply 39 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BHoughton View Post

I never liked Apple.

Ever.

I've used Windows since 3.1 and was blindly fanboyish towards them.

But when I bought an iPhone and actually saw the quality and attention to detail that Apple puts into their products, it made me go out an buy a brand new MacBook Pro for school.

It's been about 3 months now and since I have transferred any important files from my Windows PC, I no longer use it. In fact, I actually packed it up and stuck it out in the garage today.

The point to this post is that he is claiming that Apple is going to eventually fail with the iPhone. But from my experience, the iPhone is what made me an avid Apple fan.

I doubt that I'm the only one who has done this.

You're right. All previous PC owners I know who turned to Mac owners couldn't be happier. There's no going back.
  • Reply 40 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

C'mon, now. Give Mr. H a break.

After all, he did use "fuck" and "pissing" in a complete sentence.

LMAO!!!