Mac presence on web up nearly 5 percent in September

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    This is nice for MAC! And in fact Microsoft helped Apple to gain this share! Why? - Because of Vista which sucks big time! I am not saying is the reason but one of the top reason!

- PC owner, waiting for my pc to die! ;-)

http://www.slickdeals4u.com
  • Reply 22 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Well, monopoly isn't defined that way, or almost all companies would be defined as monopolies in certain product areas.

Even MS, with Office having a bigger marketshare than all Windows sales put together, isn't defined a monopoly in office suites.

It is a complex issue, this is a good source of info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly
  • Reply 23 of 27
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It is a complex issue, this is a good source of info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly

Basically, it's a good article, including the links it goes to.

But, there are errors, and omissions, in the article, which I seem to find in most all Wiki articles.

Some of what is said is misleading. It doesn't cover descriptions of situations that appear to be a monopoly, but aren't, such as Apple's case.

It also is incorrect when it states that monopolies will attempt to restrict manufacturing, and distribution of goods, to keep prices high. That's part of the old, and now partly obsolete, definition. It simply isn't true in the modern case of almost unlimited markets. It only works in saturated markets, for example.

We can look to software here (which is, in a sense, what we're talking about anyway).

Other than for items such as food and fuel, most markets are not infinitely sellable. Once the product is purchased, that's it for an indefinite time. It used to be that most Americans bought a new car every two years. No longer.

Software is infinitely upgradable, which, like food and fuel, also extends the market to infinite levels.

We can go on with this forever too. Its a long, and as you noted, complex subject.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    luisdiasluisdias Posts: 277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Software is infinitely upgradable, which, like food and fuel, also extends the market to infinite levels.

Nothing's infinite. Just because the number of software possibilities appear to you as such, there is no such thing in this human universe that is infinite.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

Nothing's infinite. Just because the number of software possibilities appear to you as such, there is no such thing in this human universe that is infinite.

You're missing the logic.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:

Finitism eh?
  • Reply 27 of 27
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Um, well, yes, of course. I think we all know that. It's a matter of relative proportion.

It's also just an expression. I didn't expect anyone to take it literally.

Though the number system extends infinitely.