Data suggests Apple has cruised past 10 million iPhone goal

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You can DL apps over EDGE, too. I tend to keep mine of EDGE all the time because it's adequate for browsing and the battery savings are too considerable for me to turn on 3F most of the time.

In Europe, they often don't have EDGE, but rather, very slow GPRS. Even when you do have EDGE, it's still quite slow compared to 3G.

Again, I really doubt it's an accident that the App Store showed up at the same time as 3G. Steve's all about the user experience. Apparently the App Store over GPRS or even EDGE didn't quite meet the bar.

• Reply 62 of 67
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Again, I really doubt it's an accident that the App Store showed up at the same time as 3G. Steve's all about the user experience. Apparently the App Store over GPRS or even EDGE didn't quite meet the bar.

It's not an accident, but it is a coincidence. To be deliberate you have to ask yourself, if the iPhone had come out of the gate with 3G, would Apple have delayed it another year just so it could have an SDK ready for it. I don't think they would have. And then ask yourself if the iPhone had come out several years before 3G was dominate in the US would have waited half a decade for 3G on the iPhone before launching an SDK.

The only true cause and affect relationship is 3G iPhones being sold in countries that only have UMTS and GPRS for data, not EDGE. Selling the iPhones there last year would have made no sense.
  • Reply 63 of 67
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

I'll help ya out... you cite the App Store as one of the two big reasons why iPhone sales shot up (even though most would put 3G on that list as well, and Apple's commercials definitely have the 3G front-and-center).

The App Store came out almost exactly the same time as 3G. Total coincidence? Or does one kinda enable the other? Hmm...

In any case, if you wanna be in denial about 3G 'til the day you die, that's your call (literally). It's not my job to convince you of the stunningly obvious anymore. Ta-ta.

This was a survey of iPhone buyers not my personal opinion. No need to try to rationalize it against me. Take it as you will.

I've seen plenty of people who bought the phone and don't really understand exactly what 3G even is.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The only thing TenoBell needs to do is point a link to the survey that corroborates what he says. I think I remember what he was referring to, but I haven't found it yet.

This story doesn't break down specific features that clinched the new model purchase, but lower price was apparently only a factor for 9% of buyers surveyed:

The interweb is so flooded with iPhone stories its impossible to find that survey.

Certainly the $200 price tag makes a big difference. Is being reflected in the huge sales difference over the same period of time.
  • Reply 64 of 67
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's not an accident, but it is a coincidence.

I deeply doubt it. 3G, SDK and App Store were planned to coincide. Steve-o's Master Plan.

• Reply 65 of 67
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The interweb is so flooded with iPhone stories its impossible to find that survey.

Certainly the $200 price tag makes a big difference.

It's nice to say and think that, there's no survey posted in this thread that says that. The one survey posted says otherwise.

Do you even remember what site it was on? There are lots of ways to narrow the search down, but I don't have that information.
  • Reply 66 of 67
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's nice to say and think that, there's no survey posted in this thread that says that. The one survey posted says otherwise.

I don't believe that survey. Should be pretty elementary that the 8GB iPhone now costing a third of what it cost last year would have a significant role in sales. What would be the purpose of Apple sacraficing the extra revenue if people wouldn't care about paying the higher cost.

Anecdotal observence. Last year I could clearly tell people with iPhone largely were those with some sort of disposable income. This year people from across the class spectrum have the 3G. Friends of mine who scoffed at the price last year gladly payed this year.

Quote:

Do you even remember what site it was on? There are lots of ways to narrow the search down, but I don't have that information.

Nah I don't remember where I saw it.
  • Reply 67 of 67
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I don't believe that survey. Should be pretty elementary that the 8GB iPhone now costing a third of what it cost last year would have a significant role in sales. What would be the purpose of Apple sacraficing the extra revenue if people wouldn't care about paying the higher cost.

Anecdotal observence. Last year I could clearly tell people with iPhone largely were those with some sort of disposable income. This year people from across the class spectrum have the 3G. Friends of mine who scoffed at the price last year gladly payed this year.

It makes sense, and while surveys are often limited or even flawed, I still trust them more than I trust anecdotes and hypotheses.