New photo may reveal more of Apple's next-gen MacBook Pro

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 91
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You're right. It does look like it a glued together. I am not convinced that it's an aluminium case being shown.

I think maybe that's the edge of a plastic wrapper that you are seeing.
  • Reply 82 of 91
    s!kes!ke Posts: 28member
    I REALLY hope that keyboard is the Macbook keyboard. I LOVE my MBP keyboard much more than the Air or Macbook keyboard. I like having all the keys touching and not having those cheap plastic gaps in between. It looks much less professional to me.
  • Reply 83 of 91
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

20 Gbps is also enough for 4k res, 60fps, 32bpp. 4k can be done with HDMI and DisplayPort's bandwidth, but only at lower refresh rates, like 24fps.

...because there's such a wealth of 4k content out there now to pump out of a video port sold primarily to road warriors? ...or vast numbers of existing screens with high enough resolution to see it on? Product life of a notebook that would deliver video like that today would be far too short before the market could substantially take advantage of it.

I'll wager the majority of DL-DVI notebook owners (Mac or PC) don't even use 30" displays.
  • Reply 84 of 91
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

...because there's such a wealth of 4k content out there now to pump out of a video port sold primarily to road warriors? ...or vast numbers of existing screens with high enough resolution to see it on? Product life of a notebook that would deliver video like that today would be far too short before the market could substantially take advantage of it.

I'll wager the majority of DL-DVI notebook owners (Mac or PC) don't even use 30" displays.

On MacBook, I agree, but it's more the content creators that are going want the higher res, they are often working on tomorrow's content today, and they more often use the MacBook Pro. The MBP has other stuff that most people don't use, such as two Firewire ports, one of them being Firewire 800, and the ExpressCard slot. It's a product more for the content creator market.
  • Reply 85 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

Looking at the ports, from right to left, I see:

Audio out, Audio in, Mini DVI, USB, another USB (yes, two USB ports side by side, like on the MacBooks), Ethernet, MagSafe port

If Apple is moving all the ports to the left side, what does that mean for the right side? Will there simply be nothing on the right side?

Doubt it. I think they're moving the slot-loading SuperDrive to the right side, just like the MacBooks. That...or we're looking at aluminum MacBooks (which doesn't seem realistic to me because the Pros are much more overdue for a facelift, not to mention the MacBook's MagSafe port is much smaller than the MacBook Pro's).

Apple already announced some time ago that the macbooks would adopt an aluminum shell to become more environmentally friendly.

Another reason to move ports to 1 side would be to add in a dock port to the other. After-all, there was the iMac dock patent floating around, maybe something is about to come to fruition.
  • Reply 86 of 91
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think it's a natural progression of the multi-touch trackpad that Apple is already using but I think that DED's depiction isn't wide enough, and I don't think that the physical mouse button will be replaced or made smaller than it already is on the MBA.

I absolutely hate the "tap to click" feature on touchpads. So many PC laptops have it enabled by default. Using a touchpad on a laptop screen is not the same as navigating on an iPhone. On the iPhone, there is no cursor to move. You just tap a button on the screen. But on a laptop, you have to move a cursor around on the screen, as well as drag icons. The "tap to click" feature results in a lot of accidental clicking and dragging. People could be trying to move the cursor on the screen, only to realize that they accidentally clicked on the wrong menu item, or dragged an icon across the screen.
  • Reply 87 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

I absolutely hate the "tap to click" feature on touchpads. So many PC laptops have it enabled by default. Using a touchpad on a laptop screen is not the same as navigating on an iPhone. On the iPhone, there is no cursor to move. You just tap a button on the screen. But on a laptop, you have to move a cursor around on the screen, as well as drag icons. The "tap to click" feature results in a lot of accidental clicking and dragging. People could be trying to move the cursor on the screen, only to realize that they accidentally clicked on the wrong menu item, or dragged an icon across the screen.

That tap to click feature is easily disabled in the options menu. Although, I actuallly prefer it, but that's my opinion. The iPhone is a touchscreen so I'm not suprised that there isn't a cursor. Ah well, everyone to their own.
  • Reply 88 of 91
    kendokakendoka Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

The "tap to click" feature results in a lot of accidental clicking and dragging.

Yep.

After the havoc notebook users caused on our server at work (by accidentally moving files), we have now banned "tap to click" on all laptops.
  • Reply 89 of 91
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s!ke View Post

I REALLY hope that keyboard is the Macbook keyboard. I LOVE my MBP keyboard much more than the Air or Macbook keyboard. I like having all the keys touching and not having those cheap plastic gaps in between. It looks much less professional to me.

You have to consider structural integrity though. With a metallic mesh going right across the centre of the machine, it gives it a far more sturdy frame. I agree that the current one looks nicer but I also think there are better designs for the Mac Pro. There's usually a compromise somewhere between technical design and aesthetic design.

Given that the separate keys design is on all models (including desktops) except the MBP, it's only natural that it follows the progression.
  • Reply 90 of 91
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I agree that the current [MacBook Pro keyboard] looks nicer but I also think there are better designs for the Mac Pro. There's usually a compromise somewhere between technical design and aesthetic design.

I agree, as well, that the current MacBook Pro keyboard is good looking - prettiest laptop keyboard I've ever seen - but, I'd say the MacBook Air's black, backlit, recessed keyboard looks far cooler.

The current MBP has an excessive amount of aluminum (in my opinion) and the fact that the keyboard carries the same color, with no differentiation from the surrounding case, actually gives it a bland look. It's flushness (actually, the keys are raised above the rest of the case) also comes into to contact or near contact with the screen, creating a checkerboard imprint.

Then look at the Air's keyboard. It's recessed into the case, the keys are rounded squares and rectangles (mimicking the Air's rounded-rectangle case) and are more spaced out, with aluminum filling in the gaps. Best of all, it's flat black, creating a great contrast with the rest of the enclosure, which also makes the labels on the keys easier to read in the dark, especially with the keyboard backlight on.
  • Reply 91 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think maybe that's the edge of a plastic wrapper that you are seeing.

This:

Yeah, I know, the arrows look stupid. I'm not a graphic designer.