Notes of interest on recent Apple MacBook case leaks

Comments

• Reply 61 of 108
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Ireland FTW.
  • Reply 62 of 108
    Apologies if anyone has already said this, but as a designer, I'd say that with the multi-directional apples and beam of light, the press invite looks like it's erring towards Multitouch being a big part of the announcement.
  • Reply 63 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) There is no evidence that Mini-DVI can support DL-DVI so this can't me a MBP or 30" displays will note function.

2) Hasn't there been plenty of discussion already that show that port size fits a 4-pin 1394a (FireWire 400) port, not a Mini-DVI port that bevels a the bottom?

Has no one seriously noticed the longer port right behind what appears to be the NIC port? There are only 2 kinds of ports that would be larger than a NIC port & that is DVI & HDMI (though HDMI would be thinner).

Quick freakin out people, they aren't putting micro-DVI on the Pros.
  • Reply 64 of 108
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Sales slipping away because "tween" girls can't get a pink macbook? I really doubt it...

I didn't make it up. My friends girlfriend and two of my nieces asked me over the last few weeks; can you get new Apple laptops in colors? They said they wanted colors and were considering getting one of those colored Dell's. That's 3 people in two weeks. Extrapolate that out over the world, they are missing a lot of girl sales there, I just know it factually (in a way) and instinctually.
  • Reply 65 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

The flipside of innovation is risk.

The iPhone and iPhone 3G is huge because of innovation, definitely. But it is one of, if not, the *riskiest* move Apple has ever made.

A lot of people never seem to get that. It was always obvious to me. The iPhone was a huge risk, huge one.
  • Reply 66 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marc OSX View Post

Apologies if anyone has already said this, but as a designer, I'd say that with the multi-directional apples and beam of light, the press invite looks like it's erring towards Multitouch being a big part of the announcement.

Go back to bed will you. It's the image of the back on a notebook, nothing more.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Ireland FTW.

Go me!
  • Reply 67 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Sales slipping away because "tween" girls can't get a pink macbook? I really doubt it....

Not "tween." 18. The college student market is a big one for Apple, and mom and dad are paying.
  • Reply 68 of 108
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I didn't make it up. My friends girlfriend and two of my nieces asked me over the last few weeks; can you get new Apple laptops in colors? They said they wanted colors and were considering getting one of those colored Dell's. That's 3 people in two weeks. Extrapolate that out over the world, they are missing a lot of girl sales there, I just know it factually (in a way) and instinctually.

With the economy the way it is, I think offering colours would be a great idea to push interest to Apple and attract even younger buyers. About 5 of the current iPod Nano colours would be great for the next MacBook line.
  • Reply 69 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

Has no one seriously noticed the longer port right behind what appears to be the NIC port?

Judging by how far back it is and looking at the current machines, I'd wager that is the MagSafe connector.
  • Reply 70 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

Did anyone notice that DisplayPort and mini-DVI are roughly the same size? [...] So in order for Apple to not have to redesign the case again when they switch to DisplayPort it makes sense to switch to mini-DVI now. On all MacBook Pros.

Kind of as a last stop-gap use of DVI.

Mini-DVi isn't a stopgap, it's a step back. Mini-DVI doesn't support Dual Link so it's a non-starter for any 30" display you might have.
  • Reply 71 of 108
    Would one of the more technically minded contributors to this board please speculate on what the final spec of the new MacBook range is likely to be. Specifically, we need to know the following:
    • Single range of MacBooks or still a dual range of MacBooks and MacBook Pros

• Screen sizes: regular 13.3", 15' and 17" or new 16:9 screens

• Hard-disk sizes

• HDD plus SSD

• Number of chips, Ghz and speeds

• GPU/ Video card

• Standard and BTO RAM 2,4, and 8?

• Overall footprint

• Thickness: 20mm or 25mm

• Weight: same or reduced

• Battery life

• Matte or glossy screens or both

• Costs

• Reply 72 of 108
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member

OMG the cases leak?
  • Reply 73 of 108
    Quote:

With the economy the way it is, I think offering colours would be a great idea to push interest to Apple and attract even younger buyers. About 5 of the current iPod Nano colours would be great for the next MacBook line.

Alas, the BIGGEST problem with offering several colors is you have to STOCK products in several colors, and the guy who wants a green MB won't buy the pink or orange ones that are available, and pretty soon you start seeing all the funky colors Apple thought people wanted (but no one really did) showing up in the discount page in the website Apple Store while the AAPL price goes down 'cause inventory is too high... (how's that for a run-on sentence, grammar-nazis?)

As for attracting younger buyers, the way the markets are going, I'm not betting that very many younger buyers will have quite as much access to mom & dad's wallet for a fun-colored laptop as they have in recent history.
  • Reply 74 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

OMG the cases leak?

thanks for that
  • Reply 75 of 108
    I share the frustration from those who are looking for a REVOLUTION in Macbook design, rather than the evolution that is looking fairly certain.

Ever since the iPhone was released, I've started forming a mental picture in my mind of what portable computers might be, both inside and out, in the coming years. A dual touchscreen device that is thin and light enough to be held like a book, or can be placed down on a table like a conventional laptop, OR one half can be spun around and turned to create a "tablet" form factor.

This is the closest I could find with a google image search.

Now, I would have LOVED for Apple to have been able to launched something like this in 2008. But I think two factors are keeping it from becoming a reality right now. First, I think component costs for a dual-touchscreen [or even a full-sized touchscreen where they keyboard lives now] is still prohibitively expensive. With Apple's booming iPhone business, I don't doubt they'll be able to push component costs down like they did with flash memory and iPods. The larger challenge is the back end of creating the custom interfaces that will come with the move to a non-keyboard centric interface. What's the advantage in releasing a a groundbreaking new laptop with a full touchpad-- if the interface for all the applications on it are still relegated to keyboard style input? Apple is surely developing internally touch-interfaces for it's own consumer and Pro apps, but getting the big players onboard [Adobe] ahead of any hardware release probably top-of-mind. Then again, Apple may launch the new Touch-Centric OSX with all their own apps ready, and release a SDK for Developers to use in building successful interfaces for the new paradigm, like they are for the Grand Central multi-core in Snow Leopard. In fact, the full 64 bit nature of Snow Leopard might also be part of Apple progressive plan towards multi-touch Mac.

I'm very excited about what's around the corner. Quite honestly I think we're in a limbo right now as Apple prepares for a shift in computing needs, devices, and ideas. I know I'm personally VERY looking forward to what a multi-touch interface for programs like Final Cut, Soundtrack, or Motion will look like. Having started my cutting career on film, I like to think there's an interface that is the best of film, tape, and digital editing- customizable by the user, which eliminates all of us from keyboards and quick-keys. A decidedly uncreative way to be creative...
  • Reply 76 of 108

I wonder about that touchpad.

It's large.

Everyone is talking about Colors? The Ad?

I want to know what "Touch" technology they're bringing over from the iPhone, iPod touch to the keyboard/touchpad? We know Apple has many patents in this area. What are they gonna do?

I see people watch TV, Hulu, whatever, and they get a little interested in that new HP Touchsreen, and I just think, YUK! You'd hafto wipe your screen off constantly.

But, if apple puts a mini dock / screen / controls in a touchpad on the keyboard. Bingo!

That'll slam one out of the park!

No more reason to buy a mouse with your book. Put the mouse controls, dock, menus etc., on the touchpad.

Of course, I think that would only be on a "Pro" model..

Be well, all!

• Reply 77 of 108
    Quote:

No, you're absolutely right on this one. I come from a consumer products background and I'm getting into elements of the apparel business. Appearance matters. Colors matter. Cool matters. Apple would not be where it is today without recognizing the power of fashion and attention to detail.
  • Reply 78 of 108
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marc OSX View Post

No one has said it but I think you should apologize anyway.
  • Reply 79 of 108
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Apple did do this with the original iMac. So they do have some experience with it. I think there is less risk with the iPod because the new iPod is mostly in competition with the older iPods. Apple is trying to convince people with old iPods to buy a new iPod. iPods are aimed directly at the tween market.

I would stay conservative and keep it to white, silver, and black. Neutral enough colors that most people would be happy with either and you don't risk being stuck with an unpopular color.
  • Reply 80 of 108
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Are teenage girls really that much of a consumer of computers to make it worth while?

If they are looking at buying an Apple or a Dell simply based on the color of the case. With all of the other considerations their are between buying a Mac or a PC, is this really a market for Apple?