Notes of interest on recent Apple MacBook case leaks

Comments

• Reply 81 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eppies View Post

http://www.apple.pro/macbook/

fake!

if multitouch without a keyboard it would be like on the iphone!!! how else would you be able to write on it??? not on a touchpad for sure...
  • Reply 82 of 108
    Yes, colors are a big deal. Especially when you're selling thousands upon thousands to the college market. Choice and options for the consumer are always a good thing.

Having said that, do you think Apple can leap frog, beat, or at least equal the specs on IBM's upper end offering? IBM Lenovo W700 (Yeah, I think it only comes in black)
  • Reply 83 of 108
    Some people are saying the Apple invite graphic is actually a picture of the rumored glass trackpad, the question is... What keyboard would you use! LOL

Edit: This is a funny post (you're suppose to laugh out loud). It's my way of commenting on how ridiculous a glass trackpad would be.
  • Reply 84 of 108
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobborries View Post

Some people are saying the Apple invite graphic is actually a picture of the rumored glass trackpad..

Some people are crazy.
  • Reply 85 of 108
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    I'm just hoping that Steve wears a fat suit on Tuesday.
  • Reply 86 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski View Post

Having said that, do you think Apple can leap frog, beat, or at least equal the specs on IBM's upper end offering? IBM Lenovo W700 (Yeah, I think it only comes in black)

No, sorry, it won't be half as powerful as that notebook, just look at it's thickness - that of a normal high end laptop. The MacBook Pro is currently 1" and the new one will probably be cheaper, it's not a high end notebook it's a kind of prosumer ultraportable hybrid, it's going to be pretty underpowered for it's price.

It'd be nice if Apple started a pro notebook line though, I'd really love to have high end performance in a Mac laptop. Anyone think that might be announced? There are supposed to be 20 SKUs sent to shops...
  • Reply 87 of 108
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Some people are saying the Apple invite graphic is actually a picture of the rumored glass trackpad, the question is... What keyboard would you use! LOL

image :: http://idisk.mac.com/bobborries/Public/AppleLOL.jpg

Why would you need two QWERTY keyboards?
  • Reply 88 of 108
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Machead99 View Post

No, sorry, it won't be half as powerful as that notebook, just look at it's thickness - that of a normal high end laptop. The MacBook Pro is currently 1" and the new one will probably be cheaper, it's not a high end notebook it's a kind of prosumer ultraportable hybrid, it's going to be pretty underpowered for it's price.

It'd be nice if Apple started a pro notebook line though, I'd really love to have high end performance in a Mac laptop. Anyone think that might be announced? There are supposed to be 20 SKUs sent to shops...

Thickness has nothing to do with the performance of a notebook. It doesn't have to be thick to use a fast chipset.

PCWorld

Fastest: Apple MacBook Pro. The fastest Windows Vista notebook we've tested this year (through 10/25/07) is a Mac. Try that again: The fastest Windows Vista notebook we've tested this year--or for that matter, ever--is a Mac. Not a Dell, not a Toshiba, not even an Alienware.
  • Reply 89 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Thickness has nothing to do with the performance of a notebook. It doesn't have to be thick to use a fast chipset.

PCWorld

Fastest: Apple MacBook Pro. The fastest Windows Vista notebook we've tested this year (through 10/25/07) is a Mac. Try that again: The fastest Windows Vista notebook we've tested this year--or for that matter, ever--is a Mac. Not a Dell, not a Toshiba, not even an Alienware.

Don't forget there are 2"+ thick 19"+ display notebooks on the diagonal) using desktop-grade Extreme CPUs that will easily out perform anything Apple can offer in the notebook sector. I have no idea who would want one of these 14 pound notebooks with a <2 hours of battery for $5000+, but they apparently do exist in some regard.
  • Reply 90 of 108
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Don't forget there are 2"+ thick 19"+ display notebooks on the diagonal) using desktop-grade Extreme CPUs that will easily out perform anything Apple can offer in the notebook sector. I have no idea who would want one of these 14 pound notebooks with a <2 hours of battery for $5000+, but they apparently do exist in some regard.

Very true.

I just wanted to point out that just because a notebook is physically thicker and heavier does not automatically give it better performance.

But too that PC World article I linked did test those monster notebooks and found the MacBook Pro better for running Vista.
  • Reply 91 of 108
    15" MacBook (Not Pro)

13" MacBook?

• Reply 92 of 108
    Quote:

Edit: This is a funny post (you're suppose to laugh out loud). It's my way of commenting on how ridiculous a glass trackpad would be.

The idea of a glass trackpad with a visual out and occasional direct input/output isn't ridiculous. It's a natural progression from Apple's already advancing multi-gesture trackpad. But if having a 2nd QWERTY keyboard is the only benefit one can see from having a small secondary display then I guess it would seem rather ridiculous.
  • Reply 93 of 108
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    From the MacX.cn photos, my first impression was that the MacBook 15" seems to have 2 video out ports. A mini-DVI port next to the USB ports and then a DisplayPort up near the front. It supports the 30" LCD and having the mini-DVI would be good for backwards compatibility (many projectors still only do analog VGA).

DisplayPort:

DVI, VGA, DisplayPort comparison:

• Reply 94 of 108
    Quote:

15" MacBook (Not Pro)

13" MacBook?

The lack of Firewire disturbs me. Is there such a thing as a firewire to USB dongle?
  • Reply 95 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

From the MacX.cn photos, my first impression was that the MacBook 15" seems to have 2 video out ports. A mini-DVI port next to the USB ports and then a DisplayPort up near the front. It supports the 30" LCD and having the mini-DVI would be good for backwards compatibility (many projectors still only do analog VGA).

Which one is the DisplayPort you are talking about? Plus, there is no reason to offer both a mini-DVI and DP, which a simple dongle would be more advantageous.
  • Reply 96 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

The lack of Firewire disturbs me. Is there such a thing as a firewire to USB dongle?

The one pic above does clearly look like a Mini-DVI port. The lack of FW400 does bother me—even though I'm going for a MBP next—but I would wager that the majority of MB users don't use FW-400 in any regard so perhaps it makes sense for Apple to phase this out of their lower-end line. Especially when you consider that the speed difference is negligible. The only realy difference these days is the amount of power that FW400 can supply over USB2.0.

PS: Only two USB ports is pretty weak.
  • Reply 97 of 108
    Quote:

Which one is the DisplayPort you are talking about? Plus, there is no reason to offer both a mini-DVI and DP, which a simple dongle would be more advantageous.

DP would be the one that is covered by the tape.

Apple might keep the older connection around for added value; support for 3 monitors. Use current mini-DVI dongles to connect to VGA and DVI monitors. Also, from reading DisplayPort data sheets, while DP doesn't preclude VGA connections via the port, a DP to VGA dongle would be more than just a pass-thru connection like current DVI to VGA dongles.

A PDF for reference: Link

Quote:

DisplayPort will co-exist with legacy interfaces, and interoperability with these existing

interface types will be very important to customers who wish to use DisplayPort source

devices (such as a PC) with existing equipment that includes current interfaces (such as

a monitor or TV). In consideration of this need, DisplayPort includes protocol provisions

for the transmission of traditional raster scan data and control signals, and supports

protocol connectivity with devices that comply with the CEA?s uncompressed DTV

transmission profile, CEA-861B.

Although interoperability at the specification level with legacy devices cannot be provided

through the DisplayPort specification, it is technically feasible to achieve interoperability

at the product level.

• Reply 98 of 108
    Quote:

The one pic above does clearly look like a Mini-DVI port. The lack of FW400 does bother me?even though I'm going for a MBP next?but I would wager that the majority of MB users don't use FW-400 in any regard so perhaps it makes sense for Apple to phase this out of their lower-end line. Especially when you consider that the speed difference is negligible. The only realy difference these days is the amount of power that FW400 can supply over USB2.0.

Yeah I don't get the reasoning behind it either. Firewire is still pretty popular among Hard drives and audio equipment. The only thing I can think behind not including FW is that the MB chipset does not have that capability and they decided not to include a FW support chip as an add on.
  • Reply 99 of 108
    Quote:

The one pic above does clearly look like a Mini-DVI port. The lack of FW400 does bother me?even though I'm going for a MBP next?but I would wager that the majority of MB users don't use FW-400 in any regard so perhaps it makes sense for Apple to phase this out of their lower-end line. Especially when you consider that the speed difference is negligible. The only realy difference these days is the amount of power that FW400 can supply over USB2.0.

There are a lot of DV/HDV cameras out there that only have Firewire; is Apple going to remove iMovie from the MacBooks as well? Also, one of the advantages of the dedicated Nvidia graphics the Macbooks are rumored to have is that they'll finally run Final Cut Studio 2 well; without a Firewire port though, you can't really do that either. A real shame, I think.
  • Reply 100 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

DP would be the one that is covered by the tape

Things off the top of my head that concern me...
    1. Covering the DP with tape seems odd

2. The size of the DP hole is too tall and wide. So what else could it be?

3. Putting it at the very front is an odd placement for a video port.

4. Having both Mini-DVI and DP makes no sense for an Mac notebook.

5. The use of use of Mini-DVI clearly points to a 15" MB since a 30" ACD can't work with Mini-DVI. Unless Apple has made the port proprietary while keeping the exact same connector port dimensions, which is highly unlikely, IMO.

6. What is probably being considered an EC/34 slot is the long rectangle cutout. But why not usethe oval shape that the current MBPs have.

7. What is that odd circular cut out near the front left of the casing? It's not a screw hole and it's larger than the mic and headphone jack farther down the side of the case.

We either don't have enough information or these are fakes. Regarding that special rectangle slot, could this be a proprietary multi-function card port that would allow otptions like '3G' access like the CDMA2000, HSUPA or WiMAX of your choice; or more USB, FW400, FW800, eSATA or card readers (like CF) as an additional option?