Apple announces new 13-inch MacBook

Comments

• Reply 261 of 522
    In six months (give or take a few), the $999 white Macbook is going to go away, and be replaced with a $1099 aluminum model. After manufacturing costs go down and everyone willing to spend $300 extra for AL has done so.
  • Reply 262 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crackbook View Post

ok good point about the cars, but the 'premium' cars you talk about still have very good specs, these macbooks have entry level specs.

The two most immediate competitors to the MacBook I can think of are the Sony VAIO SR and the Dell XPS M1310. When priced to be somewhat similar to the top end MacBook, they were both over $1700 with lesser specs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crackbook View Post

sorry dont know what you're talking about with the Viper ACR and the Corvette ZR-1, the rest of the world doesn't import sh*tbox american tractors.

Spoken like someone who knows nothing about what they are talking about. Try telling anyone on a car board that and you'll get laughed out of the place. First computers, now cars; your ignorance knows no bounds.
  • Reply 263 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

In six months (give or take a few), the $999 white Macbook is going to go away, and be replaced with a $1099 aluminum model. After manufacturing costs go down and everyone willing to spend $300 extra for AL has done so.

I concur with this prediction.
  • Reply 264 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

Spoken like someone who knows nothing about what they are talking about. Try telling anyone on a car board that and you'll get laughed out of the place. First computers, now cars; your ignorance knows no bounds.

He forgot to include the Ford GT in his list of *(&)&*(&* American cars.

Top Gear Aussie tested the new 800(?) horse power Ford GT, which made me drooooooooooooool.

Still, the Stig was able to beat the Nissan GT-R by only a bit over a second, despite the Nissan's being limited in top speed because of the restrictive chip.

This test doesn't say that much about the Ford GT (which is amazing) as it does about the unbelievable Nissan GT-R, which has become my under $250,000 dream car.

...nothing to do with Macs, just ranting...
  • Reply 265 of 522
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iijuanii View Post

PLEASE!!

someone tell me if the step from 2.0 GHS to 2.4 significant.

does it outweigh the cost???

what improvement will i actually** notice.??

About 10% difference. 2.4GHz was about 3 seconds faster in a speedmark test.
  • Reply 266 of 522
    albimalbim Posts: 68member
    Quote:

While this may be true, people were looking for even lower prices then the $1099 price tag. People (or at least I was) were looking for something around the $799-$999 price tag. Guess I'll look at a Sony or Dell with Ubuntu :/

Didn't want to do it, but Apple has pushed me away.
  • Reply 267 of 522
    erunnoerunno Posts: 225member
    Quote:

PLEASE!!

someone tell me if the step from 2.0 GHS to 2.4 significant.

does it outweigh the cost???

what improvement will i actually** notice.??

It really depends on what you are doing. Strongly CPU-bound tasks will run slower on the 2.0 GHz model, I highly doubt that the higher FSB will even out the slower CPU as it mostly affects the speed between CPU and memory.
  • Reply 268 of 522
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Exactly.

Steve will say they didn't sell well. Everyone wants the Aluminum MB.

The interesting thing is how prior to the event today analysts were sure Apple was going to get into the sub $1000 market in a meaningful way and how this was going to be a big deal.

Looks like the sub $1000 MB is just around to clear out inventory. I'd be surprised if there is a sub $1000 laptop in the Apple lineup a year from now.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 269 of 522
    Here is a quick Windoze benchmark for the 2 versus 2.4:

http://optimitza.cat/news/2008/09/17...0-t8100-p7350/

2 (P7350) - about 1750

2.4 (P8600) - about 2200

The difference is around 25-30% but will depend on the benchmark and actual use.

The older 2.4 (T8300) scores around 2100.
  • Reply 270 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I'd be surprised if there is a sub $1000 laptop in the Apple lineup a year from now.

Time will tell.

Apple will do what the market will bear. If the company is losing money, then it will no longer be able to ignore the $999 and under segment.
  • Reply 271 of 522
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erunno View Post

It really depends on what you are doing. Strongly CPU-bound tasks will run slower on the 2.0 GHz model, I highly doubt that the higher FSB will even out the slower CPU as it mostly affects the speed between CPU and memory.

The benefit of a faster FSB is greatly overstated, IMO, based on the experience of previous updates.

Compare a Rev B. MBP with a 2.16 ghz C2D and a 667mhz FSB with a Rev C. MBP and a 2.2 ghz C2D and an 800 mhz FSB.

I don't see a big difference do you? Maybe this time will be different but Intel's chips with faster FSBs only seem to offer modest gains. Better than nothing mind you but I would go for the faster clock speed not the faster FSB.
  • Reply 272 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erunno View Post

so do you think it's worth it for me?

I'm gonna be doing photoshop a lot.

photographer.

i could get the 2.0, upgrade to 4gbs ram, and 250 hd, and it's still cheaper than the 2.4 model.

or, upgrade the 2.4 to 4 gbs later.

what do you think?

i don't mind the glossy display btw. although i preferred matte.
  • Reply 273 of 522
    Quote:

i could get the 2.0, upgrade to 4gbs ram, and 250 hd, and it's still cheaper than the 2.4 model.

or, upgrade the 2.4 to 4 gbs later.

Do not buy RAM from Apple. You can get it for substantially less elsewhere.

In term of the CPU, the 2GHz should be enough for most users.
  • Reply 274 of 522
    You should be fine with the 2.0 Ghz. I'm running CS3 on a Toshiba laptop with 1.8 GHz Celeron and 512 Mb RAM.

A Macbook with 2.0 Ghz Core2 and 4GB of RAM should run amazingly fast.
  • Reply 275 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ICD-EVIL View Post

You should be fine with the 2.0 Ghz. I'm running CS3 on a Toshiba laptop with 1.8 GHz Celeron and 512 Mb RAM.

I don't mean to slight, but advice like this is meaningless. Unless you have the same requirements as the person posing the question, then your experience means nothing in his context. He wasn't asking people to compare the 2GHz to a Celeron chip; he was asking about the 2.0 and the 2.4.
  • Reply 276 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ICD-EVIL View Post

Im anticipating for the next 3/4 years too...

arent we due for software upgrades sometime within a year?
  • Reply 277 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebook View Post

I don't mean to slight, but advice like this is meaningless. Unless you have the same requirements as the person posing the question, then your experience means nothing in his context. He wasn't asking people to compare the 2GHz to a Celeron chip; he was asking about the 2.0 and the 2.4.

thanks for clarifying.

so what do you think?

given the new ram... etc.

I'm a heavy photoshop user.

very very minimal video editing. but i will use it.

garage band. some.
  • Reply 278 of 522
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebook View Post

Thanks, TenoBell. It's nice to see some posters who actually are aware of the facts and don't just make them up.

People, stop trying to compare 15-16-17 inch PC notebooks priced at $600 with the 13" MB. There is no comparison. Aside from the LED screen (and its size), the CPUs are not the same, nor are the GPUs, chipsets, features, and most importantly, the OS!

I'm not being an Apple fanboy. These are just the facts. Compare apples to apples (sorry for the pun), not apples to oranges.

I do agree with some of the complaints about Apple's going too far high-end. Apple should have released a "lesser" version of the new MB for $1000-11000.

People always whine after Apple releases a new product these days and pronounce gloom. Glossy iMac, MBA, etc. And yet, Apple market share continued to increase.

The graphic improvements now allows light gaming that was not possible before. Gaming is likely more important to students than FW. The 9400M is likely as fast as my ATI X1600 in my MBP. It's good enough for light gaming.

It can drive a 30" ACD via displayport. A win for folks wanting more real estate without needing a MBP.

The primary problem with lack of FW is for DV camcorders with FW400 ports. That should be solvable with a powered USB/FW 400 hub from somewhere. There IS a healthy Mac aftermarket and a solution should be forthcoming if something isn't already a good fit.

Frankly, when I have my full kit for video stuff I'm carrying the power supply for the camcorder, a scad of extra DV tapes, etc. One more hub is probably not a deal killer.

As I posted in the other thread...the Maxtor FW400/USB2 actually run faster in USB2 in some tests. Seagate claims the reasin is that Apple improved the USB2 drivers in Leopard.

All in all a big improvment. Shame the price isn't lower but oh well. Hopefully the mini gets a rev soon.
  • Reply 279 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

The 9400M is likely as fast as my ATI X1600 in my MBP. It's good enough for light gaming.

I'm thinking the same thing. I've grown out of the desire to play games on my computer, so as long as it is fast enough for Aperture and Photoshop CS4, with the occasional flight or racing sim thrown in, I'll be happy.
  • Reply 280 of 522
    mavmav Posts: 7member
    I think you are all making a mountain out of a mole hill.

I have a firewire hard drive, it has USB2 as well, no biggie.

I live in Australia, the base level MacBook 2Ghz costs 2099 bux inc. gst which works out roughly the same as the American prices including the sales tax.

Now I compare it to a Dell XPS M1330 with a 2.1ghz core 2 duo with an 8400M GS and 2GB DDR-2, its 1800 AUD sure its heaps cheaper, but its not as well made, its heavier and thicker.

Then I look at a Dell Latitude E4300, this thing is closer to the new macbook than the XPS 1330 is, it has a magnesium alloy case, its 1" thick and weights under 2kg, it has same specs as the macbook bar the gfx which are intel, and it costs 2800 AUD. It had no firewire and only 1 USB port.

Thing you all must realise is that this new macbook is an ultraportable, its not going to have all the bells and whistles.