New photo reveals MacBook Pro, new display also possible

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 159
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

As a few others have alluded, I don't think the leaked Apple model and price list tells the whole story as I can't imagine Apple is making it $200 more expensive to buy the lowest-priced laptop they make.

Why not? If the MBs too have the new MBP button-less trackpad and other improvements as well, you can expect this from Apple.

Besides it is supposed there will be a model at $900.
  • Reply 142 of 159
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xyz001 View Post

Thats probably the ugliest laptop Apple ever made.....

Agreed.

Though maybe it is a sign we have dipped into some sort of technological "uncanny valley" and in a few years time Apple will stumble, almost accidentally, upon the perfect laptop design.

One can always dream.
  • Reply 143 of 159
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    That new MacBook Pro looks tits!!!
  • Reply 144 of 159
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    May I just say, I don't think there will be anything else other than a 1 hour talk on the sexy new laptops and sexy new Nvidianess... No display.
  • Reply 145 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I think [the power button is] just hard to see in the image. The case previews showed it's at the back on the right, no longer inside the speaker grill. There looks like there's something there. They can't remove this because you need to use it for a force-reboot and for resetting your PMU/SMC.

All the more likelihood for the monitor dock...with an exposed right side, it only fits that Apple would put the power button there. However, I think that would be a bad place for it for some people. If it is put on a cluttered desk/table, things are bound to bump into it. \

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mausse View Post

Is that a SONY laptop? Don't like it all sorry Ive....

Still happy with my Timeless MBP design

Same here...the black is going to make it look more like a PC, less like a classy Mac. I absolutely love how my nice aluminum Mac stands out from all these black, white, grey, etc plastic PCs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I like that line of thinking very much. If we assume that the Macbook entry point is $1299, that's a $200 jump. the current Mini is $599-799 so a $200 jump of the average takes it to $899.

What we would see is the same processor in the Macbook, Nvidia GPUs, Mini Displayport, DVD burner like the $799 Mini.

That'll certainly stop people buying Minis as alternatives to their Apple TVs and force them to buy a 3rd party alternative instead.

It will also mean that people will get a powerful headless Mac at an affordable price.

Of course, it kind of takes away the Mini as a starter pack for PC users into the world of Mac but at the same time, it makes it into a machine where switchers aren't left with a situation where they need more power after switching and don't see anything they like and switch back.

I'm saying right now, I will place my order the day after the event if that $899 model is a souped up Mini. That's only about £550 where I am, which is still relatively cheap compared to PCs anyway. It's been 14 months since an update, bring on the Mini overhaul.

Raising prices in this economy???????????? And with the dollar regaining its value (thus making Asian parts cheaper)????????

That would be the most stupid thing I have ever heard Apple do! No chance of that happening (and like others have pointed out...look at the MB in the code).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebook View Post

For dragging, I prefer to use two fingers. Left index for the button and right index for moving.

You are right about the single hand (thumb + index) dragging with a click pad though. I wonder if the clickpad will work with both hands?

While I have had the tap turned on on my trackpad for about a year now(primarily for ease of right clicking...two finger tap), there are occasional situations where I do like the solid button. Anyways, the current option for dragging is to double tap(with one finger), move, tap. It is very easy to do! As for both hands...it detects that there are two fingers on the trackpad...that could be the fingers of two different people for some reason.
  • Reply 146 of 159
    Does anyone notice what could possibly be a iLife 09 logo on the side of the box on the MBP in the second photo?
  • Reply 147 of 159
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Gawd. I f'n despise Laptops. Nothing like a bunch of drones sitting around in a park texting on a f'n laptop.

We have this ridiculous fantasy notions that we have parks of geniuses working in collaboration, amidst serene settings, and changing the world.

All we have consists of 50 average people bitching, flirting, surfing and basically moving their dull lives outside for everyone else to be surrounded by the portable pod people incapable of enjoying Nature.

Really? How do you feel about the cell phone?
  • Reply 148 of 159
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Agreed.

Though maybe it is a sign we have dipped into some sort of technological "uncanny valley" and in a few years time Apple will stumble, almost accidentally, upon the perfect laptop design.

One can always dream.

Worse than the toilet seat iBook?
  • Reply 149 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

That new MacBook Pro looks tits!!!

Noble sentiment, nobly expressed.
  • Reply 150 of 159
    Has anyone noticed that ALL the ports are on one side of the laptop? That is if the pictures in last weeks post are geniune (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...es_future.html), which do seem to match these.

They also run down the whole length of the laptop (the front ones are covered with tape, ie look at previous posts pictures), I'm guessing the very front port being the DisplayPort, as the others ports in the picture don't fit that description (ie you say mini displayPort, they appear bigger than the standard displayPort, and why would they go mini when a started size displayPort would fit comfortably?). I wonder what the very back port is in that case. and what that circular button is for next to the very front port.

Given these facts do you think we are in store for a docking station? Perhaps even the display that will take the laptop inside as mentioned in previous patents?
  • Reply 151 of 159
    Apple's webstore is an interesting mix of new and old. Product description of the MBP lists the nVidia GPU as well as some other "known" features - no BluRay - but the pictures are still of the last generation of MBPs. So either the picture is of the MB and the MBP is not being treated to the same design feature as the MB or the site is in the middle of it's update?

Interesting, if nothing else.
  • Reply 152 of 159
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    Please no ALL glossy on a Pro machine. With the price being as high as it is you'd think they'd give us a choice. Design-wise? Too Frankenstein-ish = butt ugly.
  • Reply 153 of 159
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I think design-wise these machines will be stunning in person. These spy-shots do it no justice. I'm a pretty disappointed about the only glossy screen, however we still don't know if this is the case. There may be a matte option; it makes sense to include one as a BTO option like they currently offer.
  • Reply 154 of 159
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Well the apple store is down already.
  • Reply 155 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Machead99 View Post

Did anyone see what engagdet updated with?!

TWO FULL NVIDIA GPUS?!?!?!

A lot of notebooks have two GPUs, as most use the chipset with the IGP. That IGP is automatically shut off when a dedicated graphics card is added to the laptop. The difference here is Nvidia's Hybrid SLI. When the MBP is on battery power, the IGP is primarily used to save battery power. When the computer is plugged in, the IGP and GPU are both active.
  • Reply 156 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plums View Post

For the first time I felt the need to chime in. Hello all.

If the new Macbook Pro does indeed use 'Geforce Boost' which combines both GPU's to increase performance. Which is one part of Hybrid SLI, the other being Hybrid Power that switches between GPU's for efficient power usage. The only dedicated GPU's that takes advantage of Geforce Boost are the Geforce 9500M G or lower like the 9300M GS and9200M GS as there are no performance benefits from using Geforce Boost with any stronger GPU's like The Geforce 9600M GT.

So if this is true we're not even going to get a mid-range GPU. From all the SLI benchmarks I have seen, albeit with two dedicated GPU's in SLI, there are almost no performance gains unless the 3D application is explicitly designed to use it.

I think it is more likely that the Macbook Pro's wont use Geforce Boost but will Hybrid Power. As the term Hybrid SLI means both or either of those I wouldn't be surprised if it has been thrown around loosely. But if it does we're going to be getting low to low/mid 3D performance.

why do you asssume it will use hybrid boost?

It could simply use Hybrid power which would make MUUCH more sense.

Looking at the rumors - assume that Apple is indeed using the nvidia mcp79 chipset.

for most things, the integrated gpu will be good enough.

Then when you need REAL power - say adobe cs4 acceleration, you simply switch on a high powered graphics - something like the 9800GT (which would be a perfect replacement for the aging 8600GT) and switch it off when you want to go back to low power usage like watching movies etc (even valid for Bluray playback due to nvidia's video offload)
  • Reply 157 of 159
    It's gonna take impressive specs on the 9400M and the ability for it to assist the 9600M GT to redeem this update from the jaws of mediocrity spec wise.
  • Reply 158 of 159
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You make an interesting point about the glass, but from my experience?as best I recall, though it's rather outdated?with glass, CR-39 (plastic) and polycarbonate is that premium glass offers the best option for accurate colour rendering and refractive indexing.

PS: I recall reading about carbon fiber/glass combinations for high-end telescopes that are lightweight while offering excellent accuracy.

(note: My knowledge of optics is pretty dated, so please correct me if I've grossly missed something here)

Apple could have done what they did with the glass in the iPhone/iTouch, which is to have a very thin layer of hard optical glass bonded to a plastic layer. That would give the cleanability of glass, while making it very light, and not really breakable. It could be broken with a hard whack from something with a small tip, but that would likely damage the screen with a plastic face anyway.
  • Reply 159 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

Please no ALL glossy on a Pro machine. With the price being as high as it is you'd think they'd give us a choice. Design-wise? Too Frankenstein-ish = butt ugly.

anyone watching the presentation online? please please PLEASE make the matte screen available! Even the Apple employees recommend the matte screen for digital photography work!!