Matte - what about the creatives

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello, I am curious as to why Apple so stubbornly is phasing out matte screens. I know some people who can't even consider Macs anymore due to the lack of a proper matte screen for editing. Why is Apple alienating it's creative prosumer base?
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 27
    irelandireland Posts: 17,616member
    Apple's changing. It's tough love with this company. Bottom line, they don't care what you think, which is sad I think.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Because as far as they are concerned, it's not as bad as everyone thinks. Or you can move the computer (Jobs' own words). They just don't see it as a dealbreaker.



    EDIT: I just looked at my iPhone with an anti glare screen protector and realized that Apple has just created a cottage industry for matte screen protectors on these computers.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I took some comfort in the past that Apple knew what they were doing - glossy screens for consumers who didn't know any better and matte screens for professionals.



    I don't mind what Apple does in the consumer space, but today Apple started fucking with the professional space, and that's not on. Form before function is fine for consumers, but for pros you have to put function before form.



    Glossy = no sale.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,271member
    I think Matte vs Glossy is a silly battle.



    Every Pro I've seen has gone through extraordinary lengths to ensure accurate color.



    Hoods for the monitor

    painting the walls in a halftone gray

    wearing the appropriate clothing (black)

    color calibrating often with the right tools



    I see no reason why acceptable results cannot be found with either monitor

    technology. After all despite the anti-glare coating on CRT they still have a smooth

    glass finish and reflect light and CRTs were the defacto Pro standard for years.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,222moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post


    I took some comfort in the past that Apple knew what they were doing - glossy screens for consumers who didn't know any better and matte screens for professionals.



    I don't mind what Apple does in the consumer space, but today Apple started fucking with the professional space, and that's not on. Form before function is fine for consumers, but for pros you have to put function before form.



    Glossy = no sale.



    They've ruined everything pro bit by bit - only the Mac Pro is left. The Cinema displays are glossy too now (there goes that SWOP certification) with isight, no firewire. Since when was a $900 IPS display a consumer item? Apple don't know who they are targeting any more.



    They buy up pro software like Final Cut and Shake, let them die off for months/years on end - Motion is a gimmicky app that doesn't come close to AE.



    Very sad times indeed. I don't want to say it but I think I'm a PC, I want to sell fish, grow a beard, sleep with Eva Longoria, have a matte screen and get some damn work done.



    I don't want to spend thousands on a machine where I can look at myself listening to my ipod while chatting to myspace buddies.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Wow. People are really really upset about this. Must be an internet phenomenon. At the ad agency we work at, every creative wants one (of course they do; half are still on 3 year old PowerBook G4s), the retouchers want to finally convert to portables, and the PC users are asking about MacBooks.



    I think for every internet board Apple-diehard-gone-PC, Apple will make up for it with 3 new customers.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    May it is time for pros to start buy osx and build there own system.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    To everyone complaining, I GUARANTEE that all of the screen protector people are coming out with something that you'll be able to apply to the display for $50 or less that will remove all of the glare. They did it for the iPhone and they will do it for this. No, you shouldn't have to pay for it if you don't want it. But since you do, that is at least a passable solution, unlike no FW on MacBooks.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    I think Matte vs Glossy is a silly battle.



    Every Pro I've seen has gone through extraordinary lengths to ensure accurate color.



    Hoods for the monitor

    painting the walls in a halftone gray

    wearing the appropriate clothing (black)

    color calibrating often with the right tools



    I see no reason why acceptable results cannot be found with either monitor

    technology. After all despite the anti-glare coating on CRT they still have a smooth

    glass finish and reflect light and CRTs were the defacto Pro standard for years.



    Not to mention the fact that before now Apple offered matte and glossy as a choice on "pro" laptops. Obviously, if they were selling matte screens out of the ying yang they would still be offering a choice....or even back to matte only. Apparently glossy won the biggest battle of all. It way out sold the mattes....
  • Reply 10 of 27
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Is the glossy/matte battle still relevant with LED screens?
  • Reply 11 of 27
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    creatives are not the market for apple products. sorry, that's 1990-2005. now its brain dead students who need pr0n video chat on their exquisitely machined shiny macbook pro that mommy bought for them for college.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    oh go wipe your little pussies
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post


    Is the glossy/matte battle still relevant with LED screens?



    The glossy/matte battle was never relevant. It's just whining from people who were either never going to buy a Mac, or who will buy a Mac no matter what.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,271member
    I saw a Before/After shot of a glossy screen with a special matte film and it worked like a charm to reduce glare.



    Frankly it's probably the best solution for glossy hatas.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    I'm pretty disappointed in Apple's "one surface to rule them all" attitude also. I cannot consider an iMac until matte is an option.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    CRT monitors often had optical coatings on the glass that reduced glare. Apple could do the same. Asking someone to fork over an additional 50 bucks and having them have to apply an anti glare "screen protector" isn't serving that market. It's not easy to apply and not everyone has a clean room so they can apply without dust getting caught between the screen and the film.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    irelandireland Posts: 17,616member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    I'm pretty disappointed in Apple's "one surface to rule them all" attitude also. I cannot consider an iMac until matte is an option.



    Those matte stickers really are good.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post


    Hello, I am curious as to why Apple so stubbornly is phasing out matte screens. I know some people who can't even consider Macs anymore due to the lack of a proper matte screen for editing. Why is Apple alienating it's creative prosumer base?



    Frankly, matte or glossy I don't care, my concerns are things like Firewire, Graphic performance and reliability. As long as I don't incur additional eyestrain and the hardware is up to task, appearance is less important.



    I am a photographer and I have used computers with both types of screens, I don't have a preference to be honest. A deal breaker for me would be something like, no firewire or eSata or some other component that hobbles system performance.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    They've ruined everything pro bit by bit - only the Mac Pro is left. The Cinema displays are glossy too now (there goes that SWOP certification) with isight, no firewire. Since when was a $900 IPS display a consumer item? Apple don't know who they are targeting any more.



    They buy up pro software like Final Cut and Shake, let them die off for months/years on end - Motion is a gimmicky app that doesn't come close to AE.



    Very sad times indeed. I don't want to say it but I think I'm a PC, I want to sell fish, grow a beard, sleep with Eva Longoria, have a matte screen and get some damn work done.



    I don't want to spend thousands on a machine where I can look at myself listening to my ipod while chatting to myspace buddies.



    Apple under jobs seems to have two main flaws



    1) they tend to stereotype users.



    2) they don't seem to be able to focus on more than one thing at a time. When they were focusing on the pro side, they neglected the consumer side. Now that they're focusing on the consumer side, they're neglecting the pros side. They seem to put all their focus into one thing, eventually get sick of that and either come up with something new or refocus on something they've been neglecting with new ideas. It comes in cycles.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post


    Wow. People are really really upset about this. Must be an internet phenomenon. At the ad agency we work at, every creative wants one (of course they do; half are still on 3 year old PowerBook G4s), the retouchers want to finally convert to portables, and the PC users are asking about MacBooks.



    I think for every internet board Apple-diehard-gone-PC, Apple will make up for it with 3 new customers.



    But those customers are likely to spend much less money and be far less loyal.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post


    The glossy/matte battle was never relevant. It's just whining from people who were either never going to buy a Mac, or who will buy a Mac no matter what.



    Yeah, those things on their desks are really PCs and they're running vista skinned to make it look like OSX. Keep telling yourself whatever you need to make Apple infallible.
Sign In or Register to comment.