Apple's new MacBook and MacBook Pro torn down (photos)

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EauVive View Post

I wonder if they did or did not manage to use the aluminium body as a cooler. After all, why not use passive cooling given the size of metal used in the design? Yet, I wonder if that would fit the needs of both the CPU and the chipset...

As to what extent, I have no idea or applicable skills to make a determination, but it's logical to think that with aluminum being such a good conductor of heat that would have considered that when designing the cooling system.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

As to what extent, I have no idea or applicable skills to make a determination, but it's logical to think that with aluminum being such a good conductor of heat that would have considered that when designing the cooling system.

I think it would make your lap VERY hot.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As for the 13-inch MacBook, iFixIt notes that:

The new MacBook is really a 13" MacBook Pro. It uses the same design, and same manufacturing quality. Bridging the gap between consumer and professional model.

Whoa! Don't say that or all the people yelling at others (like me) for wanting firewire on the macbook, will constantly call you cheap, chastise you and hate you as well! Firewire is only a pro feature, anyone with a firewire anything needs only the professional model, therefore the macbook has not bridged that gap!
  • Reply 24 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

I think it would make your lap VERY hot.

They are hot and their are plenty of complaints about the heat. I even recall reading an article/complaint that it actually burned ones lap to some degree that it left marks (could be pressure marks of it on your lap). That is a long standing complaint over thicker notebooks with plastic cases, but your lap is hot because the heat is being dissipated so at least the internals are doing okay.

Note: I don't think their is one PC vendor that refers to their portable PCs as laptops. I think they all use the term notebook. I assume, laptop would imply that they are suitable to be used in one's lap. Did anyone ever use the term laptop? Was their some silly US lawsuit about the implication of the term.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

I was thinking the same thing, with that tiny MacBook logic board, you can imagine them using it in a 10" screen mini-laptop quite easily. A huge amount of space inside the MacBook is taken up by the Superdrive, something that I could quite easily do without to be honest. Here's hoping.

Maybe that 10"er or even 15"er would be a tablet (or big itouch) with a thin folding flat detachable keyboard/pad. When you get to your desk, just hang it on a Apple design shaped stand like an iMac. An iMac "to go" or "take away" in the UK
  • Reply 26 of 34
    eauviveeauvive Posts: 237member
    Quote:

Note: I don't think their is one PC vendor that refers to their portable PCs as laptops. I think they all use the term notebook. I assume, laptop would imply that they are suitable to be used in one's lap. Did anyone ever use the term laptop? Was their some silly US lawsuit about the implication of the term.

I use both "laptop" and "notebook". But I am no native speaker. So I am prone to use ancient or archaic wording.

Anyway.

I couldn't find any tech spec on the nVidia chipset. As usual, nVidia keeps them secret, which is hateful and revolting. Intel has all its specs available online, and AMD/ATI too. This makes sense: nobody is going to figure out what their design is just reading the specs. NVidia guys are still living in the Cold war epoch. Advanced products, retarded mentalities.

Well, at least I found the chipset has no Firewire built-in. Apple would have had to route an external PCI-bus to some Firewire chip, that would surely have cost more than was available.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EauVive View Post

I use both "laptop" and "notebook". But I am no native speaker. So I am prone to use ancient or archaic wording.

Both are perfectly acceptable and interchangeable in English in colloquial conversation, and I wouldn't have known English was not your first language.

There are plenty of opinions on what differentiates the two...
    Quote:

I couldn't find any tech spec on the nVidia chipset.

What specs are you looking for? NVIDIA officially announced their new 9400s on Wednesday, the day after Apple's event. AnandTech has a good technical review.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    eauviveeauvive Posts: 237member
    Quote:

Both are perfectly acceptable and interchangeable in English in colloquial conversation, and I wouldn't have known English was not your first language.

Thanks!

Quote:

What specs are you looking for? NVIDIA officially announced their new 9400s on Wednesday, the day after Apple's event. AnandTech has a good technical review.

That's also very basic stuff, mostly made for editors that blindly repeat what they are told like parrots (I speak for the first page only, presenting tech details. The rest is good. Then, I can scorn them, since I am editor myself!). Specifically, I was looking for:

1. The power consumption;

2. The number of DDRAM3 lines, in order to know whether the chipset can or cannot support more than 4 GB RAM.

If you find these somewhere, please let me know...
  • Reply 29 of 34
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Really, was the word "precision" necessary there. No.

I do not think that the usage of "precision" is out of line. Take a look at the motherboard from the Dell XPS 1330 13" Notebook. To me the precision engineering of the MacBook motherboard jumps out at you.

Click on image for full size in new window.

image source: Parts-People.com
  • Reply 30 of 34
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:

Wow I am surprised. I thought like you that the term laptop had been abandoned. I visited Dell to see the term they are using:

• Reply 31 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

I do not think that the usage of "precision" is out of line. Take a look at the motherboard from the Dell XPS 1330 13" Notebook. To me the precision engineering of the MacBook motherboard jumps out at you.

MoBo image :: http://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gm848xl7.jpg

image source: Parts-People.com

Even Sony Vaio, which GreenPeace says is as green or more so than Apple has mobo's that don't look aestetically pleasing. Perhaps I'm just baised.
    Sony Vaio VGN-S150 VGN-S

• Notebook image :: http://www.mobilewhack.com/vaio_typeS.jpg

• MoBo image :: http://www.1hideout.com/parts/laptopimages/101_1662.JPG
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

Wow I am surprised. I thought like you that the term laptop had been abandoned. I visited Dell to see the term they are using:

Me too. Oh well, another internet folklore busted.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Quote:

I always say laptop, because in my mind "notebook" refers to something completely different. But of course I am not a manufacturer, and I think they all use notebook.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    I just went to the store to check out the new line, the screens are all horrible. A fucking shame. The glair is unbelievable. They are worse than ever. If there are no matte options by the time my MacBook Pro dies (1 more year left on the warranty and then i'm playing with the dealers hand) then I will actually have to consider looking elsewhere for my computer needs. I cannot use a computer with a fucking mirror as a monitor.

Are there any PC laptops with a matte display? I'll work on hacking OSX to run with it.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

I just went to the store to check out the new line, the screens are all horrible. A fucking shame. The glair is unbelievable.

The 33% brighter dispaly with LED backlighting was suppose to eliminate the glass. Did you turn it all the way up?

Plus, you can always by the old MBP with the matte screen.