Apple's new MacBook and MacBook Pro torn down (photos)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple parts reseller iFixIt has just completed its photo disassemblies of the new MacBook and MacBook Pro, and notes that the design of both machines are largely inspired by the MacBook Air, with the 13-inch model structurally resembling a 13-inch version of the new MacBook Pro.

MacBook Pro Disassembly Guide

As part of its 15-inch MacBook Pro disassembly, iFixIt noted that:

Upgrading the RAM and hard drive is very easy, but you do need a Torx screwdriver to replace the hard drive (noted yesterday).

Contrary to some fears, the keyboard in the MacBook Pro is user-serviceable. It's a fair amount of work to remove (you have to remove 56 screws).

The AirPort and Bluetooth boards are in the display assembly. The AirPort card is user-serviceable, while the Bluetooth board is not.

The MacBook Pro with its battery cover and base cover removed.

The MacBook Pro's stacked memory slots sit just above the battery bay.

Peeling back the MacBook Pro's chicklet keyboard .

Removing the lower display bezel reveals the AirPort card.

This is what the AirPort card looks like.

The MacBook Pros precision logic board.

An exploded view of the innards of the new MacBook Pro.

MacBook Disassembly Guide

As for the 13-inch MacBook, iFixIt notes that:

The new MacBook is really a 13" MacBook Pro. It uses the same design, and same manufacturing quality. Bridging the gap between consumer and professional model.

The Superdrive is the same in the MacBook and MacBook Pro.

We showed the parts to some industrial engineers familiar with manufacturing processes. Overall, they were extremely impressed by the build quality of the machine and the cutting edge mass-produced unibody.

The MacBook's logic board is tiny.

A closer look at the MacBook's logic board.

The MacBook's display module detached.

A semi-exploded view of the MacBook.

A big thanks to the guys over at iFixIt for sharing their photos and disassembly work with AppleInsider readers.

For more photos, full disassembly instructions, and additional comments and observations, please see the full version of iFixIt's guides:

MacBook Disassembly Guide

MacBook Pro Disassembly Guide

Unboxing and comparison photos

Don't forget to check out AppleInsider's own unboxing and comparison photos, also published Thursday.

High-quality photo comparison: the new unibody MacBooks

High-quality unboxing photos: late 2008 13" MacBook

High-quality unboxing photos: late 2008 15" MacBook Pro

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    Pretty impressive, the logic board of the MacBook is minimal and crowded. It seems there was no place for FireWire anyway.

Nobody has mentioned the fan. Is it noisy? How are the processor and the chipset cooled?
  • Reply 2 of 34
    robb01robb01 Posts: 148member
    Looks pretty nice

• Reply 3 of 34
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EauVive View Post

Pretty impressive, the logic board of the MacBook is minimal and crowded. It seems there was no place for FireWire anyway.

What do you call that last inch of space after the other ports? This space intentionally left blank.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

What do you call that last inch of space after the other ports? This space intentionally left blank.

I don't see an inch of space after the other ports on the Macbook.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I think he means the MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

The MacBook Pros precision logic board.

Really, was the word "precision" necessary there. No.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Wow those system boards really are tiny.

It's clear to see that the next hurdle to overcome is the removal of the fans. Can you imagine how much smaller they could make the system board if they didn't have to accommodate two fans?
  • Reply 8 of 34
    Quote:

Nobody has mentioned the fan. Is it noisy? How are the processor and the chipset cooled?

Wondering the same....I looked at the machine yesterday and could not identify where the fan exhausts.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by themoonisdown09 View Post

I don't see an inch of space after the other ports on the Macbook.

I think that is where the lock is. They could have put that somewhere else
  • Reply 10 of 34
    So, does the nVidia chipset handle firewire, or is it a discrete chip?

Looking at the internals though, it seems like Apple has a great foundation for a Netbook to be named later...
  • Reply 11 of 34
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

So, does the nVidia chipset handle firewire, or is it a discrete chip?

Looking at the internals though, it seems like Apple has a great foundation for a Netbook to be named later...

I was thinking the same thing, with that tiny MacBook logic board, you can imagine them using it in a 10" screen mini-laptop quite easily. A huge amount of space inside the MacBook is taken up by the Superdrive, something that I could quite easily do without to be honest. Here's hoping.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    So, does upgrading the MBP HDD still void the computers warranty? I've read for the old one it did.

Update:

It won't if you do it correctly.

"WARNING: Apple recommends that you have an Apple-certified technician install

replacement drives and memory. Consult the service and support information that

came with your computer for information about how to contact Apple for service. If

you attempt to install a replacement drive or memory and damage your equipment,

such damage is not covered by the limited warranty on your computer."
  • Reply 13 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Their are two fans. Check out the iFixit website for some close ups. I believe they even mention that Apple has been using fans with many more fans blades than in other notebooks to allow for more airflow at lower RPMs, thus creating less noise and using less power.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by guppy737 View Post

Wondering the same....I looked at the machine yesterday and could not identify where the fan exhausts.

It looks like they vent out the back, like on all the other machines, but it can be hard to see as the display lid tends to cover up any direct line-of-sight of the vents when open.

PS: There was a patent awhile ago from Apple that was for a material that would not pass liquid, but would pass air so the MoBo could be cooled by drawing air in (or maybe out) from the keyboard, thus creating a more efficient cooling system.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

What do you call that last inch of space after the other ports?

Taint...

Wow, they really voided the warranty on that computer, eh?

• Reply 15 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Taint...

I shouldn't be encouraging you but I just spit up the Coke I was drinking. it burns the sinuses!
  • Reply 16 of 34
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    I saw the opening (no pun intended) and resistance was futile.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

I saw the opening (no pun intended) and resistance was futile.

Resistance may be futile, but it is fun.

I'm glad those guys do those tear downs, it slakes my curiosity, without my having to abuse my poor baby. *keeps eyeing the FedEx page* C'mon!! Deliver it already!!
  • Reply 18 of 34
    As good-looking on the inside as they are on the outside.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    two words: easy access
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Their are two fans. Check out the iFixit website for some close ups. I believe they even mention that Apple has been using fans with many more fans blades than in other notebooks to allow for more airflow at lower RPMs, thus creating less noise and using less power..

I wonder if they did or did not manage to use the aluminium body as a cooler. After all, why not use passive cooling given the size of metal used in the design? Yet, I wonder if that would fit the needs of both the CPU and the chipset...