Jobs responds to outrage over MacBook's missing FireWire

Comments

• Reply 421 of 1665
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Go for it anyway. Same price as a Macbook Pro. Well, not exactly.

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/sony...-32518039.html

They've just been marked down $250 off- so only- $1650 same as MacBook. New models will be out in 2 weeks with BLu-ray. But no Leopard ? Vista? I don't think I could.
  • Reply 422 of 1665
    Ah, so much angst over something that some cable or a simple adapter will fix.... (and that too, only for those choosing to restrict themselves, by choice or necessity, to the MB or the MBA).
  • Reply 423 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Unfortunately as aesthetics increasingly the driving force, the hardware frustration of Mac is getting closer to the software frustration of windows. Not there yet, but wait a year or two until Ive decides to base the entire laptop line off of the air.

Well put- unfortunately.
  • Reply 424 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ah, so much angst over something that some cable or a simple adapter will fix.... (and that too, only for those choosing to restrict themselves, by choice or necessity, to the MB or the MBA).

ha obviously not a firewire user...

if only i was so "lucky" (to not be stuck with thousands of dollars of audio interface and post processing equipment and hundreds of dollars of apple software which needs FW)

...and before you reply "u can afford an MBP" think 'form factor' and 'MBP now heavier with one less firewire interface'
  • Reply 425 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonybrookadam View Post

But they are the ones buying new macs in the greatest numbers.

Existing Mac users upgrading a two-year-old MacBook Core Duo are the minority. Jobs and "Jony" know that the REAL pricing decisions are made by switchers, who, as you've said, don't give two flits about Firewire.

*To them, $50 might make or break a system.

*To them, sidemounted blinky-lights (worthless battery indicator) is more important than a foreign connector (firewore)

*To them, the choice to switch is an uphill one. All of their software has to be re-purchased for Mac

For existing mac users, the choice is less important.

*You have a platform with which you are (ostensibly) happy. Windows is foreign.

*You have lots of software running on MacOS, perhaps software for which there is no good Windows alternative.

*MAYBE, you have a firewire drive, camera, scanner, audio box, etc.

BUT, you are already a user. The general public (and MANY professionals inc. graphics and video guys) don't upgrade their machines every year. You have a system that works. Poor college students buy a machine when they start school, and MAYBE a new one if they go to grad school. Laptops aren't purchased anew each year.

All of the above "existing" users aren't in Apple's sights. We don't bring money in like the hordes of switchers.

Simply put, Apple is following the diminishing retail $$ and catering to users who are actually BUYING their products. Only problem is, those buyers aren't mac users.

Those are good points. I agree with everything you posted. There is one caveat. A fraction of us existing [long time] mac users upgrade regularly for a number of reasons . I for one upgrade my desktop one year and my laptop/s the other year, so we;re buying one mac per year on average. I know mI may be a low percentage/factor but I still expect a certain level of connect-ability in my new purchases, FW 400/800 being one of them. Good discussion!

Something I thought about. There was scpeculation of FW via the CAT5E jack[using an adapter] before the announcmeent, that would be a great compromise of it offered the throughput(which I am sure it does) since we dont use the CAT5 jack here at home since our WiFi works well. Thats the kind of innovation I expect from Apple.... For your critics, innovation being the implementation of said tech, not necessarily creation of the tech, per se.

Just a thought.
  • Reply 426 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

A simple adapter cannot bring USB up to FW speeds. People can no longer capture video from their miniDV cameras without experiencing dropped frames on the MacBooks and if they use TimeMachine, their backups will take forever. I find it ridiculous that Apple pushed their new OS with TimeMachine as a big feature and has now crippled it on the MacBooks with the removal of FW. Also, I think that Apple should have left FW400 on the MacBooks and added an eSATA port to the MacBook Pros.
  • Reply 427 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

They've just been marked down $250 off- so only- $1650 same as MacBook. New models will be out in 2 weeks with BLu-ray. But no Leopard ? Vista? I don't think I could.

Not anywhere near the same Intel Core 2 Duo (1.06 GHz); RAM installed: 1 GB DDR2 SDRAM. 100 GB drive. And a 11.1"?
  • Reply 428 of 1665
    Come on folks. It's not like we all aren't going to replace our old USB2 and FW400 storage devices with USB3, power over eSata spec or FW3200 devices in a few years anyway.

Jobs probably saved us all some money there by not putting a FW400 port in the MB.

Also not like you can't buy new external cases for your current external drives. USB ones are dirt cheap.
  • Reply 429 of 1665
    Mmm.. just thinking about the new MacBook's EPEAT Gold status. How environmental-friendly is it when you have to ditch your Firewire-only external harddisks and buy new usb-harddisks?
  • Reply 430 of 1665
    Quote:

Not anywhere near the same Intel Core 2 Duo (1.06 GHz); RAM installed: 1 GB DDR2 SDRAM. 100 GB drive. And a 11.1"…

Same price I said , that's all. Stop twisting things around. And I was responding to your post:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abster2core

Go for it anyway. Same price as a Macbook Pro.

You really have a lot of issues- don't you?
  • Reply 431 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rosstheboss View Post

That's what i was meaning...if i'm running Logic Pro on my Powerbook G4 with 1 usb for ext HDD, 1usb for mouse(and USB key for transfers) and FW400 for Motu Traveller...i'm screwed now.

I love it. I just go next door and the guys burst out laughing?

But they did have some comments:

You weren't screwed last week, or the last 'how many' years you've had your Powerbook G4.

"if i'm running Logic Pro?" I gather you don't now.

By the way, MOTU doesn't agree with you.

http://www.motu.com/newsitems/new-ma...ur-motu-studio
  • Reply 432 of 1665
    Quote:

Not anywhere near the same Intel Core 2 Duo (1.06 GHz); RAM installed: 1 GB DDR2 SDRAM. 100 GB drive. And a 11.1"…

Same price I said , that's all. Stop twisting things around. And I was responding to your post:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abster2core

Go for it anyway. Same price as a Macbook Pro.

• Reply 433 of 1665
    At least you can't argue that he's a pretty funny man.
  • Reply 434 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Well then we'll have to agree to disagree.

However, if you go to Best Buy and buy a external HDD, almost all are USB. There are a few USB/FW but most are pure USB.

But when you go to the Apple store or buy from the online Apple store there is a great selection of FW HDDs. Even FW 800 drives which I've never seen at a BB.

I don't know where Mac users get their external HDDs or peripherals in general, but if they get them at an Apple store, which isn't improbably, there is a good chance its FW.

That's why I suspect, but have no proof, that FW use among Mac users is higher than for pc users.

Time Capsule. No FireWire.
  • Reply 435 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

My apologies. I was just trying to help you out. But you don't own a Mac now, do you?
  • Reply 436 of 1665
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

By the way, MOTU doesn't agree with you.

This is interesting.

The affordable 13-inch MacBook provides USB2 connectivity for audio I/O, and the MOTU 828mkII USB2 audio interface is the perfect professional audio I/O solution for this new generation of MacBooks. With plug-and-play connectivity via ultrafast USB 2.0, you take full advantage of USB 2.0's 480 Mb/sec bus speed, which is even higher than FireWire 400.
  • Reply 437 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Where's the 13" Macbook Pro? Not only is Apple now telling me that I have to spend $2k to get FW and expandiblity but they are forcing me to accept a monitor that is larger than what I want.

I could moan about my numerous drives and audio interfaces that i can't use with the chuffing new macbooks but i totally agree! I've been holding off to upgrade my old 12" ibook G4 to a similar size machine (and looking forward to going zippy intel with 10.5) - it's only a couple of inches difference but the 15" pro just isn't as portable (and hell of a lot more expensive) !!

no-one seems to be arguing the logic/logic express case here - logic is mac only so what if you want to upgrade to a new machine but can't afford the pro and have a fw interface? (ie affordable NOT pro!)

damn you apple...
  • Reply 438 of 1665
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Apple doesn't do entry level anymore. The Macbook this time around is essentially a 13" Macbook Pro.

If only that were true. In fact is a priced like a Mac Pro but very neutered. No Express card, so discrete graphics, and no firewire. So basically you pay for a Mac Pro but lose most of the "Pro" features.
  • Reply 439 of 1665
    There's a reason why there is a macbook, and a macbook PRO. They have to draw the line somewhere. if you really want firewire, keep your old macbook, or shovel out another $500.

It's a marketing strategy. Apple is growing faster and faster, and they're hoping that this new line will be "an affordable switch" for PC users. Macs have always been more expensive, so the concept of spending more money on the newest technology should be nothing new.

Reasons why apple can do this:

1. You can't get mac os when you buy a sony, hp, dell, whatever!

2. People always think that macs are better(this is an "image")

when you have that image, you can do shit like take away a FW port and let people bitch. They're still gonna grow, they're still going to be amazing machines. SO STOP CRYING AND WORK OVERTIME FOR ANOTHER FEW WEEKS SO U CAN AFFORD A PRO!

• Reply 440 of 1665
    Macworld:

"FireWire?s MacBook absence?inconvenience or fatal flaw??

In short, the new MacBook has a lot to offer buyers?faster graphics and video than before, an even stronger and more durable chassis, a backlit keyboard for high-end users, and many other enhancements. FireWire?s absence is certainly disappointing and will surely be felt for a while by Mac users who had invested in peripherals that use the interface, but I suspect most people will make the transition, and will ultimately find that they?re not missing much by making the switch."

http://www.macworld.com/article/1362..._firewire.html