Apple's Snow Leopard to sport Cocoa Finder and ImageBoot

Comments

• Reply 61 of 114
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I think that was a typo. He probably meant deprecated.

Carbon should have been deprecated at about 10.3 or 10.4. Hopefully, Apple will not ship any Carbon apps with 10.6 and will pull all Carbon support from 10.7.

And here is the biggest problem with Apple - their inability to be transparent when it comes to long term plans. For Microsoft, Adobe and so forth to know what they need to do in future - Apple needs to say, "Carbon is going to be gone from MacOS X in [x] of years". Lord knows I don't want to see Microsoft or Adobe make the excuse, "well, I didn't know" as to why they haven't made their applications Cocoa.
  • Reply 62 of 114
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Taking the Finder Cocoa is great, but it needs to be repaired and improved as well. The Tiger Finder is the biggest source of problems in our facility (video post production) We have a bunch of Macs both PowerPC and Intel running Final Cut with Xserve RAIDS and internal RAIDS (MacPro) and Kona cards. Plus two Avids with Adrenalines. More often than not the Finder is the source of problems on these systems. Leopard FInder is better, but still exhibits a number of flaws (well documented here and elsewhere) that need to go away.

Hell I had the Finder freeze up on one of my Xserves yesterday. Granted I was using Time machine to restore an inadvertently deleted file for one of my employees, but still. The Finder crashed on a Leopard Server Xserve! That is BS and we are looking forward to SL.
  • Reply 63 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

Extra Dongles won't be needed for future displays, you will find that many monitors & TVs of the future will begin adopting Mini-Display connections.

Mini-DVI may have been a move towards Apple Proprietary but Mini-Display is going to become an industry standard. Apple doesn't try to lock people to proprietary hardware, they try to push the industry to advance already. ADV was around for how long before DVI finally got standardized? ADV was Apple's attempt to actually put some sort of DVI type standard out there. Trust me, Display port is a very very good thing & will be replacing HDMI & DVI both.

As far as Firewire goes, it's a lost cause. Even with 3200 standard coming along it will never recover from the overwhelming adoption of USB in the PC industry. Apple has finally begun to realize that they have to work with popular standards, not against them. This is why they are picking up Mini-Display instead of advancing their own mini-DVI, why they are slowly weaning people off Firewire (USB 3.0 will be capable of 4.8GB/s). Firewire is now up against eSATA & loosing, it's a dying standard.

It's not Apple's fault the industry is moving on so quit whining about it. You aren't going to get any better firewire support from the PC industry, they would have had to adopt it in the first place to abandon it.

I think DisplayPort is amazing. As for FireWire, I've never used it and all my friends (college students) thought it was a useless port on their current MacBooks anyway. I feel bad for the FireWire supporters but I agree with you, miniDisplayPort gained and FireWire lost aren't bad things for me.
  • Reply 64 of 114
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

I think DisplayPort is amazing. As for FireWire, I've never used it and all my friends (college students) thought it was a useless port on their current MacBooks anyway. I feel bad for the FireWire supporters but I agree with you, miniDisplayPort gained and FireWire lost aren't bad things for me.

Why is DisplayPort so amazing to you yet Firewire isn't? I like DisplayPort but in today's incarnation it's marginally better than DVI. Things should improve by version 2.0.

If you all are plugging in USB devices when you have Firewire as a choice I think I'd be the one feeling bad for you all. Bandwidth and processing power are always finite. I tend to favor technologies that are smarter and preserve CPU bandwidth.
  • Reply 65 of 114
    nixinixi Posts: 49member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wordwise View Post

Not a flame, but perhaps an explanation...I think Apple would have a harder time convincing someone to shell out $450 to purchase the latest greatest in the middle or towards the end of a 6 year cycle. Nothin' wrong with paying $130 every 1.5-2 years in my mind...

Maybe so. And in all honesty, if Snow Leopard is as good as I have come to hope, I will pay for the upgrade. However I would part with my money even more easily, had the "upgrade" to Leopard (which I also paid for, BTW) not been such an terrible waste of money ?
  • Reply 66 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Why is DisplayPort so amazing to you yet Firewire isn't? I like DisplayPort but in today's incarnation it's marginally better than DVI. Things should improve by version 2.0.

If you all are plugging in USB devices when you have Firewire as a choice I think I'd be the one feeling bad for you all. Bandwidth and processing power are always finite. I tend to favor technologies that are smarter and preserve CPU bandwidth.

I can't even guess why apple removed FireWire, regardless they did. I never used FireWire so it really won't affect me. I use few peripherals and none came with FireWire, all came with USB only. Maybe if apple hadn't removed FireWire options from iPods and included it on iPhones, I might have used that port.

As I said, I'm sorry for the FireWire crowd, it sounds like a great port, but it's removal doesn't affect me.

As for DisplayPort, I only like it for it's potential, especially it hdtvs adopt it.
  • Reply 67 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robbyx View Post

And HOW LONG have we been waiting for this? Sheesh. NEXTSTEP's Workspace Manager was already Cocoa...before Cocoa was Cocoa. Why didn't they just build on that in the first place?

My Finder Wishlist:

1. An end to all the hangs when dealing with servers and shared folders!!!

2. A system-wide tagging architecture

3. The ability to browse documents and data using a tag cloud

Good riddance, Carbon.

Give me back Workspace Manager, please. I want my Shelf and with LocalApps, NetworkApps, so on and so forth.

We had some nice additional features with NeXTSTEP/Openstep which allowed me to do a Shift-tilda brings up the GO-TO menu that I then type in the user name and I could be immediately over to my colleagues shared public folder. People didn't waste time misusing NeXTMail by embedding files, and leveraged the NFS Shares and more to call upon NeXTMail services to run embeddedly assign applications appropriate to the content of the message.

Apple needs to reinvest in setting up OS X as the Enterprise Shared/Managed solution from top to bottom.

I could list dozens of examples which made me more productive on Openstep than OS X.

Finder doesn't even touch Workspace Manager.
  • Reply 68 of 114
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Give me back Workspace Manager, please. I want my Shelf and with LocalApps, NetworkApps, so on and so forth.

We had some nice additional features with NeXTSTEP/Openstep which allowed me to do a Shift-tilda brings up the GO-TO menu that I then type in the user name and I could be immediately over to my colleagues shared public folder. People didn't waste time misusing NeXTMail by embedding files, and leveraged the NFS Shares and more to call upon NeXTMail services to run embeddedly assign applications appropriate to the content of the message.

Apple needs to reinvest in setting up OS X as the Enterprise Shared/Managed solution from top to bottom.

I could list dozens of examples which made me more productive on Openstep than OS X.

Finder doesn't even touch Workspace Manager.

I agree completely. I so miss the shelf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And LocalApps, NetworkApps, LocalLibrary, NetworkLibrary, etc. It worked so well!!!

NeXT was way ahead of its time. I still miss my slick Turbo station. What a beauty!!! And while OS X is a pretty awesome OS at this point, I wish we hadn't lost so much of the NeXT UI. I still prefer the menu block, with tear-away menus, to Apple's menu bar any day. And I really liked how the dock was for apps and windows minimized to a different area of the screen. The current OS X "catch all" dock is very limited if one is running more than a few apps with more than 2 or 3 open windows.

It's a bit depressing to think that Workspace Manager, back in the early 90s when I had my NeXT box, seemed faster and more productive than today's Finder, some 15 or so years later.

I sincerely hope that if Apple does re-write the Finder, they do something RADICAL. Making it Cocoa (let's hear it for 100% Cocoa in all OS X apps!!!) is a step in the right direction. But it's just the first step. I hope they go all the way!
  • Reply 69 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

I think it's rather inconsistent. You can't copy-passte in Finder, how stupid is that?

Also, I don't see why BlueTooth has it's own little app and can't be directly included into Finder. I'd like to see my BlueTooth cellphone show up in Finder's left column.

sure you can - select a file, copy, paste, you get a new copy of the file. What are you expecting it to do?
  • Reply 70 of 114
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

sure you can - select a file, copy, paste, you get a new copy of the file. What are you expecting it to do?

My guess is that the poster - and others - want to CUT and PASTE a file, ie: move it.
  • Reply 71 of 114
    I don't know if you can call a replaced Finder a new feature...will it actually add anything to functionality or just be faster. Agreed this has been LONG overdue.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

For a major release that was promised to not have many new features Snow Leopard is turning out to be feature packed. The Finder re-write has been asked for since practically day one of OSX's release.

I'm still holding hope that it will be a free update for Leopard users.

• Reply 72 of 114
    Quote:

My guess is that the poster - and others - want to CUT and PASTE a file, ie: move it.

So you mean dragging the file to a new location in the window's sidebar structure or using spring-loaded folder actions to go deeper into the file system, all with one simple drag, isn't enough for them that they feel the need to CUT the file and therefore force the system to take a performance hit due to the overhead involved with adding the file to the clipboard? That's one of the reasons Windozes is so bloated and doesn't perform as good as the Mac OS. I'm glad Apple thinks these things out.

In the Mac world we use drag & drop. These people should NOT expect the Mac platform to conform to the way the Windoze interface works. We like the way our Mac interface works. It's better just because of not doing unnecessary finder actions like CUT of files. There is already too much Windoze appeasement going on in our platform. If they like the way Windoze functions, then let them stay there and enjoy Vista, and not try to bring us down to their illogical level.
  • Reply 73 of 114
    Quote:

I agree completely. I so miss the shelf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And LocalApps, NetworkApps, LocalLibrary, NetworkLibrary, etc. It worked so well!!!

NeXT was way ahead of its time. I still miss my slick Turbo station. What a beauty!!! And while OS X is a pretty awesome OS at this point, I wish we hadn't lost so much of the NeXT UI. I still prefer the menu block, with tear-away menus, to Apple's menu bar any day. And I really liked how the dock was for apps and windows minimized to a different area of the screen. The current OS X "catch all" dock is very limited if one is running more than a few apps with more than 2 or 3 open windows.

It's a bit depressing to think that Workspace Manager, back in the early 90s when I had my NeXT box, seemed faster and more productive than today's Finder, some 15 or so years later.

I sincerely hope that if Apple does re-write the Finder, they do something RADICAL. Making it Cocoa (let's hear it for 100% Cocoa in all OS X apps!!!) is a step in the right direction. But it's just the first step. I hope they go all the way!

Don't get me started on the Vertical/Tear away/saved-state Menus/Submenus where the main view was just that, the main editing view with the slidebars on the left-side to cut down on mouse movements across the page and back.

I loved the vertical sidebar for most used apps, three dots for running apps and something KDE mimicked in a way [slide down to the bottom leaving just the NeXT Icon].

The only way I imagine we'll ever see Workspace Manager 2009 is if Keith Olhfs comes out of retirement and takes Steve up on that long open offer to head the UI Design Team.
  • Reply 74 of 114
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaiwai View Post

And here is the biggest problem with Apple - their inability to be transparent when it comes to long term plans. For Microsoft, Adobe and so forth to know what they need to do in future - Apple needs to say, "Carbon is going to be gone from MacOS X in [x] of years". Lord knows I don't want to see Microsoft or Adobe make the excuse, "well, I didn't know" as to why they haven't made their applications Cocoa.

It's not _inability_ to be transparent, it's _unwillingness_ to be transparent.

Whether you agree or not, there are good reasons for Apple to keep their future developments secret:

1. They simply may not know as early as you think. Look at the switch to Intel. Apple had a side by side development program going for quite some time and only switched when they were ready. They are likely to be doing the same thing in other programs, as well, and may work on something for years before it's ready.

2. Pre-announcing products gives their competition a lead on copying. Since everyone is carefully watching what Apple does in order to copy it, the sooner Apple releases information, the shorter their lead time when the product finally hits the streets.

3. There have been times when Apple announced that they were working on something and then were unable to deliver. All the leeches came out of the woodwork and sued them for not delivering what they said they would (even though Apple never promised it). The best way to avoid this is to not talk about things until you're ready to ship.

4. It can reduce current sales. If customers know what the next version will have (and the next version of computer hardware is ALWAYS faster and/or less expensive than the current version), they may hold off on purchasing - which costs a fortune. Which computer company was it that went bankrupt for this reason?

Apple has very good reasons for not pre-announcing any more than they have to. In general, the people who need to know are under NDA and can get the information. A bunch of whiners saying "I demand to know what Apple is going to do in 2014" isn't sufficient justification to displace the above concerns.
  • Reply 75 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Huh? What's wrong with Apple going to Cocoa and dropping carbon? FYI, Adobe CS5 is rumored going to be in Cocoa and that is scheduled for release like next year?. Its up to you to upgrade or not. If you think you are going to use the features introduced in CS4, then by all means UPGRADE .

I'm all for Apple dropping legacy support to have a lean and superfast system.

Just got to factor that in my purchase plans - was happily running PS7 till Leopard broke support for it, so now I'm running an even older version of PS in VMWare. (Starving student, and am fighting the temptation to pirate stuff).

All this talk seems to point towards Carbon being dropped. If that's the case and CS4's going to be broken in a short few years, then

As for Finder itself, I find myself using it less and less these days. I usually launch applications and find most of my stuff through Spotlight (really really awesome by the way)

I do hope Apple improves iDisk support and performance in Finder though
  • Reply 76 of 114
    fairlyfairly Posts: 102member
    Finder has Cover Flow. Which is cool. But feels more at home in iTunes to be sure. As for Apple finally making Finder Cocoa - who cares? Shouldn't they first make it into a file manager?
  • Reply 77 of 114
    fairlyfairly Posts: 102member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by naphtali View Post

I do hope Apple improves iDisk support and performance in Finder though

They need to differentiate between functions and interfaces. Right now their FF has too much going on that doesn't belong there. If they put things in their proper places then a rewrite wouldn't be such a big deal.
  • Reply 78 of 114
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

I know cmd + c cmd + v works but why is there no copy in the right-click menu? I really don't see why not...
  • Reply 79 of 114
    thttht Posts: 5,447member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Don't get me started on the Vertical/Tear away/saved-state Menus/Submenus where the main view was just that, the main editing view with the slidebars on the left-side to cut down on mouse movements across the page and back.

I loved the vertical sidebar for most used apps, three dots for running apps and something KDE mimicked in a way [slide down to the bottom leaving just the NeXT Icon].

The only way I imagine we'll ever see Workspace Manager 2009 is if Keith Olhfs comes out of retirement and takes Steve up on that long open offer to head the UI Design Team.

An era long gone, yes. It's amazing how the Mac OS UI hasn't evolved much beyond the NEXTSTEP UI, or any UI for that matter. If they start over, I would hope that a rethinking is done.

Mac OS X does kind of shoehorn NeXT concepts into its UI, but it's been mediocre at best. The broken Miller column browser (it doesn't incremently snap to column size widths). Sidebar instead of Shelf. Dock instead of Dock. On top of that, it still has Mac OS issues. The application menus are still in the MenuBar, which I think is a rather horrible location for today's gigantic screens and multiple monitor setups.

Expose is great though. Coverflow gets an "eh" from me. Quicklook gets a thumbs-up. Stacks are ok.
  • Reply 80 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

So you mean dragging the file to a new location in the window's sidebar structure or using spring-loaded folder actions to go deeper into the file system, all with one simple drag, isn't enough for them that they feel the need to CUT the file and therefore force the system to take a performance hit due to the overhead involved with adding the file to the clipboard? That's one of the reasons Windozes is so bloated and doesn't perform as good as the Mac OS. I'm glad Apple thinks these things out.

In the Mac world we use drag & drop. These people should NOT expect the Mac platform to conform to the way the Windoze interface works. We like the way our Mac interface works. It's better just because of not doing unnecessary finder actions like CUT of files. There is already too much Windoze appeasement going on in our platform. If they like the way Windoze functions, then let them stay there and enjoy Vista, and not try to bring us down to their illogical level.

I really love OS X, but I dislike people who cannot appreciate that Windows has some points to it. How often have I been told not to complain about window and app closing with the mouse in OS X but damn use CMD-W and CMD-Q for it, just as an example. Now that someone for very good reason prefers to use Cut&Paste instead of tediously moving through complicated folder structures with spring-loaded mouse-hovering etc, he gets told o fucking forget about keyboard shortcuts and damn use the mouse, the mouse and nothing but the mouse. "In the Mac world, we use drag&drop" is just ideology and shutting the eyes when confronted with reality.

Btw there is no performance hit by using the clipboard at all, and you should know that; you are so totally talking bullshit. Cutting would merely copy the directory information to the clipboard, and not some 50 gig file. And in any case, with your totally illogical argument Copy&Paste should be banned, too. The system only takes performance hits when in OS X you cut/copy huge parts of Photoshop pictures to paste them somewhere.

And no, it is perfectly fine that the cut file is not actually being deleted until it is pasted somewhere else.