Apple's Snow Leopard to sport Cocoa Finder and ImageBoot

Comments

• Reply 81 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

I know cmd + c cmd + v works but why is there no copy in the right-click menu? I really don't see why not...

If I was ljocampo, I'd reply "We in the OS X world don't use that Windows-style right click menu at all because everything is in the top menu, and people can't cope with more than one mouse button anyway, that's why Apple has put lots of thoughts into hiding it and making it accessible only via some hidden CMD-clicking, so if you want any such action in a context menu, just go and play with Windows."
  • Reply 82 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Making Cut and Paste finally work would be a major new feature.

Cut and paste isn't enabled for files because it's a poor metaphor for manipulating files. Nor can it behave the way users expect it to (like it does in a word processor, etc.)

Cut and paste doesn't behave the same in all situations, nor is it obvious what will occur when invoked. If you cut and paste on a local volume, it's a rename. But invoking cut and paste across different volumes results in a move operation, not a copy, which can fail and cause data loss if your wireless connection goes down, a firewire cable accidently gets unplugged, etc. If you cancel it, users can be confused since half of your files might be spread across two different volumes, etc.

Users don't have these sort of problems cutting and pasting text, so they wouldn't expect problems to occur if cut and paste was enabled in the finder.
  • Reply 83 of 114
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

In the Mac world we use drag & drop. These people should NOT expect the Mac platform to conform to the way the Windoze interface works. We like the way our Mac interface works. It's better just because of not doing unnecessary finder actions like CUT of files. There is already too much Windoze appeasement going on in our platform. If they like the way Windoze functions, then let them stay there and enjoy Vista, and not try to bring us down to their illogical level.

Speak for yourself, mate. I have been using Mac for many years and I don't think d&d is superior always. Often times cut and past, or whatever is much quicker and simpler. I thought the era of Mac people touting the mouse as superior to the keyboard was well and truly over. I thought by now we all know the whatever suits you is the best way. And what are you talking about Windows appeasement? If you spend some time working on Windows you will find that not EVERYTHING sucks. And if you find a feature that works better than on the Mac, why not implement a version (hopefully better) in to OSX?

The OSX finder is not perfect, IMHO. I have always thought the Windows way of working on a file level was better. To be able to right click in any file level dialog box to create a new folder, for instance, is great. I prefer the Mac 'look', but the functionality is not always better. What I do like is the ability to drag apps to the tool bar for quick access short cuts (secondary to the dock), and my BIG favorite is Quick look. For the organizationally challenged that is a life saver.

My big gripe with the OSX finder is the speed, or lack of such. I have three Mac, one of which is an old G5 and they all tend to hang when I click on the Apps in the sidebar.
  • Reply 84 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

An era long gone, yes. It's amazing how the Mac OS UI hasn't evolved much beyond the NEXTSTEP UI, or any UI for that matter. If they start over, I would hope that a rethinking is done.

Mac OS X does kind of shoehorn NeXT concepts into its UI, but it's been mediocre at best. The broken Miller column browser (it doesn't incremently snap to column size widths). Sidebar instead of Shelf. Dock instead of Dock. On top of that, it still has Mac OS issues. The application menus are still in the MenuBar, which I think is a rather horrible location for today's gigantic screens and multiple monitor setups.

Expose is great though. Coverflow gets an "eh" from me. Quicklook gets a thumbs-up. Stacks are ok.

You're not alone. Who'd have thought they could f*** that up? NeXT designed their UI around the evolution of Screens both large and small. The 2 bit view is even more attractive than any other UI in history. You can actually still use it to get stuff done--like fix the video driver.

Btw, we were ready to advance the next phase of NeXT UI with OS X but the amount of whining from internal and large 3rd party developers projecting fear of abandonment forced Steve to compromise.

Eventually, I hope they finally gut the hag of the past and move onward.
  • Reply 85 of 114
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lightandshadow View Post

Cut and paste isn't enabled for files because it's a poor metaphor for manipulating files. Nor can it behave the way users expect it to (like it does in a word processor, etc.)

Cut and paste doesn't behave the same in all situations, nor is it obvious what will occur when invoked. If you cut and paste on a local volume, it's a rename. But invoking cut and paste across different volumes results in a move operation, not a copy, which can fail and cause data loss if your wireless connection goes down, a firewire cable accidently gets unplugged, etc. If you cancel it, users can be confused since half of your files might be spread across two different volumes, etc.

Users don't have these sort of problems cutting and pasting text, so they wouldn't expect problems to occur if cut and paste was enabled in the finder.

Why people always come up with this 'metaphor issue'?

The end user doesn't give a **** about bad metaphors.

It works. It increases productivity. People get accustom to it quickly.

I never heared about people losing files with cut/paste in Windows.

And, in fact dragging and dropping files is some sort of cut/paste too, but completely mouse controlled.

(which can be a bit hard if you have to move files through a complex hierarchy, or you need to open two windows everytime)

So basically, you got cut/paste already implemented technically.

If 'cut/paste' doesn't suit you, why not call it 'pick up / drop' or something like that?
  • Reply 86 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Anybody else sick of having to shell out $150 for a .1 update to OSX?

The 10 is, in a sense, part of the name. It is a repeat of the X.

10.0 -> 10.1 -> 10.2 -> 10.3 -> 10.4 -> 10.5 are all major updates, despite, apparently, being point releases. Apple could have called them 10 -> 11 -> 12 -> 13 -> 14 ->15, but they decided to keep the 10 moniker. All these updates involve heavy changes to the kernel and significant changes both to the user space software as well as changes to the user interface.

Roberto
  • Reply 87 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steveH View Post

No, which is good, because you haven't had to pay for . releases.

Apple chose to keep the "X" naming convention for marketing/branding reasons.

The changes between 10.4 and 10.5 are about the same scale as another company's NT 4.0 to NT 5.0.

Indeed. The KERNEL major version number, in fact, went up by one.

Roberto
  • Reply 88 of 114
    @dacloo I stand by my opinion. As far as taking a hit, it does even if it's just copying the bindings because that takes time to do but that's not the point. The point is that the Mac way of moving files in the finder is more logical to Mac users than it is to PC users. If you don't like the mouse fine, than use the copy short cut and then hit the delete key before you go to paste or as I said stick with Windows. The choices were always yours. I made my choice.
  • Reply 89 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Philotech View Post

If I was ljocampo, I'd reply "We in the OS X world don't use that Windows-style right click menu at all because everything is in the top menu, and people can't cope with more than one mouse button anyway, that's why Apple has put lots of thoughts into hiding it and making it accessible only via some hidden CMD-clicking, so if you want any such action in a context menu, just go and play with Windows."

lol there are many ways to skin a cat or use an interface. I just get tired of Windoze people telling us how to play.
  • Reply 90 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Speak for yourself, mate. I have been using Mac for many years and I don't think d&d is superior always. Often times cut and past, or whatever is much quicker and simpler. I thought the era of Mac people touting the mouse as superior to the keyboard was well and truly over. I thought by now we all know the whatever suits you is the best way. And what are you talking about Windows appeasement? If you spend some time working on Windows you will find that not EVERYTHING sucks. And if you find a feature that works better than on the Mac, why not implement a version (hopefully better) in to OSX?

The OSX finder is not perfect, IMHO. I have always thought the Windows way of working on a file level was better. To be able to right click in any file level dialog box to create a new folder, for instance, is great. I prefer the Mac 'look', but the functionality is not always better. What I do like is the ability to drag apps to the tool bar for quick access short cuts (secondary to the dock), and my BIG favorite is Quick look. For the organizationally challenged that is a life saver.

My big gripe with the OSX finder is the speed, or lack of such. I have three Mac, one of which is an old G5 and they all tend to hang when I click on the Apps in the sidebar.

I wasn't touting the mouse as superior at all. I use the shortcuts most of the time. But you're absolutely right I should have made that more clear by saying IMHO or use an I. In any event I was speaking for myself and any others who think the same.

IMHO, Appeasement in interface design has been happening a lot on the Mac since Apple is cratering to the PC users. I never said that Windows suck, although I do find that to be true most of the time I've used it, but all Windoze is not bad. It's just not my cup of tea. However each to their own, I say.

btw A right click (contextual menus) for making new folders etc etc has been on the Mac for quite a few years now. Single button Apple mice are ancient history.
  • Reply 91 of 114
    Quote:

I know cmd + c cmd + v works but why is there no copy in the right-click menu? I really don't see why not...

The right-click menu is a Microsoft approach, and a flawed one, IMO - hiding options away in a menu which has no on-screen representation is confusing for people who don't know about it. I rarely use the right-click menu in my Windows apps. It's not much more work to go up to the Edit menu, and if a couple of keyboard shortcuts are too much work then no amount of UI tweaking will suit you.
  • Reply 92 of 114
    esxxiesxxi Posts: 75member
    Quote:

• Reply 93 of 114
    No disrespect to all you recent converts out there, but the so call 'new feature' that you are calling Image Boot is not new at all.

The Fact is that you could do that in Mac OS 6.x - 9.x ... they just never got it into X yet.
  • Reply 94 of 114
    The freedom of choice you have permits you to go back to the MicroCr@p World where you pay over $300 per version, instead of $129.

Of course with Winblows, you have to wait for the next $300 version before you get your bug fixes, which inevitably will introduce more bug than it fixes!

Quote:

Anybody else sick of having to shell out $150 for a .1 update to OSX?

It felt like the jump from and Panther to Tiger and Tiger to Leopard were about as big performance-wise as the jump from SP1 to SP2 and SP2 to SP3 on XP, with the main difference being the addition of Time Machine and Exposé. Does that really warrant spending all the money upgrading?

What bugs me the most is that every year and a half that Apple .1 updates OSX, the new OSX isn't compatable with a lot of existing software (see ProTools, etc), but new software frequently requires the new OS version...

I'd be more than willing to pay $300-400 once every 6 years like the Windows model (instead of $150 every year and a half-2 years) and get the updates/new features for free, especially since the change in philosophy would force Apple to make the compatibility transitions smoother and not penalize folks who upgrade/don't upgrade...

Just a thought. Maybe the grass is always greener, and I do admit that Apple's model allows the company to generate extra hype on a more regular basis (although CocoaFinder and ImageBoot aren't really much to get excited about for the average user...)

I realize this mail exposes me to the potential to a ridiculous number of flames, which really aren't necessary, so please, put away your negative crayons.

• Reply 95 of 114
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

A right click (contextual menus) for making new folders etc etc has been on the Mac for quite a few years now. Single button Apple mice are ancient history.

True - but less evolved than on Windows. I am not really bothered as there is always another way but the right click within a Save As dialog box is something I have always found useful.

The other one - and this one does bug me - is that if you right click on an image in Safari you don't get the option to see the object's properties (or Info). From a Web developer perspective the lack of this in Safari is tedious. Marginal, I know, but I'm just saying ...
  • Reply 96 of 114
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

The other one - and this one does bug me - is that if you right click on an image in Safari you don't get the option to see the object's properties (or Info). From a Web developer perspective the lack of this in Safari is tedious. Marginal, I know, but I'm just saying ...

Safari does have that, it just has to be turned on. In the Advanced tab of Safari preferences select "show develop menu in menu bar" and quit and relaunch Safari. Now when you right click on an image there is "Inspect Element" option.
  • Reply 97 of 114
    stubeckstubeck Posts: 140member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

This was good for a laff and a haff.

The way I remember it, didn't new releases of OS X pack enough punch to cause MicroSoft to completely go back to the drawing board and delay Vista for like..... years?

No, OS X didn't have anything to do with Vista being delayed.
  • Reply 98 of 114
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

What bugs me the most is that every year and a half that Apple .1 updates OSX, the new OSX isn't compatable with a lot of existing software (see ProTools, etc), but new software frequently requires the new OS version...

Every update their have been major changes in the underlying architecture of OS X. Windows service packs are more geared towards bug fixes and stabilization.

Software that requires the new update is because new API's have been written and the underlying architecture as been redone. That is a lot of effort on Apple's part.
  • Reply 99 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Why people always come up with this 'metaphor issue'?

The end user doesn't give a **** about bad metaphors.

It works. It increases productivity. People get accustom to it quickly.

Please listen carefully.

My objection is that putting a move operation under the guise of cut and paste is a poor solution. In addition, moving files can cause data loss in specific situations. Since it's not clear if a cut and paste would result in a rename or a move operation, the user might be unintentionally or unknowing exposing themselves to a risk.

Quote:

I never heared about people losing files with cut/paste in Windows.

I've seen it happen several times. Aborting a copy of a 2000 picture iPhoto library to your external drive can leave half of the files spread across two different volumes. If a firwire or USB cable is accidentally removed, there is a chance for data loss. But if it's rename, you can undo it in an instant. This is highly inconsistent.

Even if you're highly experienced user, you still have to stop and think to determine if a cut and paste will result in a move or a rename based on the source and destination. This has bad UI design written all over it.

Quote:

And, in fact dragging and dropping files is some sort of cut/paste too, but completely mouse controlled.

(which can be a bit hard if you have to move files through a complex hierarchy, or you need to open two windows everytime)

So basically, you got cut/paste already implemented technically.

Drag and drop is always a copy unless you hold down a special key. And even then the cursor changes to show you if it will be a move or a copy. This is a constant behavior. However, you can't indicate what will happen when you invoke a keyboard shortcut. It's just not obvious what will occur.

Again moving is not copying. The implications are significantly different. And, since it's not obvious as to what will occur when invoked, using cut and paste for files is a poor metaphor.

Quote:

If 'cut/paste' doesn't suit you, why not call it 'pick up / drop' or something like that?

Because "pick up and drop" doesn't make it any more obvious if a rename or move will occur than "cut and paste."

You don't have to worry about loosing text when you copy and paste in a word processor. Why should you expect complications when using cut and paste with files?

Until Apple can figure out a technical solution that makes cut and paste behave in a consistent way that is undoable, I wouldn't hold my breath.
  • Reply 100 of 114
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You're not alone. Who'd have thought they could f*** that up? NeXT designed their UI around the evolution of Screens both large and small. The 2 bit view is even more attractive than any other UI in history. You can actually still use it to get stuff done--like fix the video driver.

Yeah. The non-snappiness of the browser essentially broke the usability of it. Oh, and the lack of the bread crumb and Shelf, but what can you do. There are so many things broken in the Mac OS X UI it isn't funny. There simply is no art in the sidebar. The dock should have fixed locations. And there is an unholy mess of UIs spread across multiple apps (Microsoft Office, Apple apps).

Actually, I would like to see the NeXT style Shelf and file browser on the iPhone, if Apple ever choose to implement it.

Quote:

Btw, we were ready to advance the next phase of NeXT UI with OS X but the amount of whining from internal and large 3rd party developers projecting fear of abandonment forced Steve to compromise.

The fabled tabbed dock? What was it like in action?

Quote:

Eventually, I hope they finally gut the hag of the past and move onward.

I'd like to see:

1. Remove the app menus from the MenuBar and use contextual menus for everything

2. More fine control of window sizing

3. Clean up all apps to follow uniform GUI standards

4. Floating palettes and toolbars should go the way of the dinosaurs. Well at least minimized to all heck.

5. More Finder views

6. I'll think of more as my frustrations well up. I use Microsoft Office too much...