Due next from Apple: refreshed 20- and 24-inch iMacs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 183
    Apple has never taken longer than 10 months to refresh pro systems. Surely there's gotta be new Mac Pros in the next month.
  • Reply 22 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

Actually, it seems I was wrong...PowerPC Macs can too

boot PowerPC Macs from USB

johnqh: thanks for the (corrective) information! I'm going to give it a try.

I'm glad I started migrating away from FireWire to USB when I "saw the writing on the wall" when Apple introduced the MacBook Air.
  • Reply 23 of 183
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leppo View Post

I know you weren't asking me, but I think the G5 Mac Pro case is just way too big. It was designed that big to accommodate the liquid cooling systems for the 1.0 dualies (I had one, it burned out about 2 yrs ago), and now the extra space seems a bit unnecessary. ....

I know you weren't talking to me but ...

As an owner of a recent MacPro I think you are talking nonsense here. The only "empty" space in the case is for expansion cards, every other section is 100% utilised. One could argue that the average user doesn't need to put in many expansion cards since there basically aren't many cards that go in there anyway, but it's not like it has dozens of open slots either.

It also makes no sense to ask that they remove the cooling fans or the holes that make the case run so cool and silent. Do you actually desire the thing to run hotter or be noisier? That's crazy-talk!

You are actually arguing for that stupid X-Mac/mini-tower in this "redesign" aren't you?
  • Reply 24 of 183
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

... SOME KIND OF MULTI TOUCH MOUSE REPLACEMENT! ...

Well, (sans the shouting) I will second this motion.

I can't figure out when multi-touch has been around for two generations of products already, why Apple hasn't made a simple mousepad that's multi-touch so we can ditch the mouse altogether.

Something wireless and about half the size of the wireless keyboard seems like a natural easy-to-make product that would sell like crazy.
  • Reply 25 of 183
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GMHut View Post

Create the affordable mini tower we desperately need.

or

Make the mini big enough to put in a real graphics card and at least 8 gigs of ram, update chip.

or

Release an iMac with a designer grade, matte screen.

or

I think about going to the dark side after using Macs since 1984.

Dear Steve J,

Get your head out of your tuchus, stop making toys and computers for super rich yuppies or super computers for the highest of high-end pros exclusively, and come back to us pro designers and photographers in the middle who have been supporting Apple since there was Apple. You are systematically removing our workable options or pricing us into no other choice but to switch, and not the way you want. It's not the pudgy PC guy who is trying to banish the Mac kid that is costing you sales. It's YOU who are banishing me from being able to make my next computer another Mac. Your killin' me dude, and not softly.

Mac Maxi?
  • Reply 26 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leppo View Post

I know you weren't asking me, but I think the G5 Mac Pro case is just way too big. It was designed that big to accommodate the liquid cooling systems for the 1.0 dualies (I had one, it burned out about 2 yrs ago), and now the extra space seems a bit unnecessary.

I'll second that. The bulk is what puts us off putting them into our studios. That and the way over the top price and poor choice of monitors to go with it.
  • Reply 27 of 183
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    If Apple were preparing a Mini refresh, I would have thought we would have heard some solid rumours by now, weve had nothing at all really....since the last update.

I really am starting to think it's not going to be refreshed.
  • Reply 28 of 183
    By switching, you mean buying a cheaply built PC with generic parts that you will end up buying again in less than a year. I'm so tired of everyone bitching that Macs cost so much. They do NOT cost more than an equally equipped PC. Often they are (part for part) cheaper. Do your homework.
  • Reply 29 of 183
    gmhutgmhut Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

Mac Maxi?

Yes! A Mac Maxi, but I don't anticipate the need for wings. I doubt we need to worry about embarrassing leakage.

I'm really hoping the neglect of the mini is indicative of a better affordable headless mac as a replacement in the next quarter or 2, but I'm not betting on it.
  • Reply 30 of 183
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlashmanBurgess View Post

By switching, you mean buying a cheaply built PC with generic parts that you will end up buying again in less than a year. I'm so tired of everyone bitching that Macs cost so much. They do NOT cost more than an equally equipped PC. Often they are (part for part) cheaper. Do your homework.

Not really. Since Apple has gone Intel or Nvidia parts it's actually easy to make the comparisons now and frankly it highlights the premium Apple charges.

It's likely the reason why Apple keynotes focus on how Green the product is or the manf process but rarely focuses on how their computers are advancing "computing"

Products like the Mini have been dying on the vine while Dell is picking up the mantle

http://www.dell.com/content/products...=19&l=en&s=dhs

And even the iMac is under siege

http://www.dell.com/content/products...n&s=dhs&~ck=mn

Software is keeping this platform alive..the hardware has sucked for years.
  • Reply 31 of 183
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

On an aesthetic level, could they perhaps make that black Apple logo on the chin, smaller?

Or give it light and make the whole face black? Get rid of the raccoon look please.

Answer me someone please- why a 24" iMac needs a display port?
  • Reply 32 of 183
    I don't expect this refresh will offer much more than a new chipset and LED backlit displays.

The current CPUs already have most of the improvements of the Montevina Penryns so all we're going to see is a bit lower power consumption. Apple should get somewhat better pricing on standard CPUs than they currently get on a special part. It's highly unlikely that Apple will include a quad core processor because of CPU cost and because it would introduce too many comparisons with the much higher priced Mac Pro.

I hope for, but do not expect the following:

- an easy way to replace the hard drive - the current system is way too much work, even for technicians

- two eSATA ports - we'd probably have seen it on the MBP if it was coming soon

- two FireWire 800 ports or the current one FW800, one FW400.

- more than three USB ports

- a minimum 500GB HD

- a decent video chip - I can get a 512MB PCI express video card for a PC with a Radeon 4650 or GeForce 9500GT for just $79 retail. Apple should be able to put something similar in a $1500 computer.

iMacs don't excite me though. What has my blood pumping is a future based around displays like the new 24" one they introduced this week. To me that display is begging for new low power desktops to plug into it.

My solution is two machines:

Mac Nano - the MacBook minus its display, keyboard and battery.

Mac Blade - the 24" iMac minus its display plus eSATA ports

My only concern with the Mac Blade is that maybe the 24" display's MagSafe connector wouldn't be able to provide enough power for a machine based around a 3GHz CPU, GeForce 9800 class GPU and 3.5" HD.
  • Reply 33 of 183
    Would an iMac with a optional Bluray drive be to much to ask for? \
  • Reply 34 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

Apple has never taken longer than 10 months to refresh pro systems. Surely there's gotta be new Mac Pros in the next month.

The first generation Mac Pro was introduced in August 2006 and didn't change specs or price until it was replaced in January 2008. That's 17 months.

If the iMac is updated this month it would leave Apple with virtually nothing to talk about at Macworld in January. Therefore I suspect they'll use that occasion to introduce the new Mac Pro based on the Nehalem architecture. Intel considers Nehalem one of the most significant advances since the introduction of the Pentium so it's worthy of a place at Macworld.
  • Reply 35 of 183
    What about a full size bluetooth keyboard (with the number pad) that has an aluminum frame, black keys with backlighting and the glass touchpad underneath? Maybe it could also work with USB to charge the batteries or just use as a wired unit.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Well, (sans the shouting) I will second this motion.

I can't figure out when multi-touch has been around for two generations of products already, why Apple hasn't made a simple mousepad that's multi-touch so we can ditch the mouse altogether.

Something wireless and about half the size of the wireless keyboard seems like a natural easy-to-make product that would sell like crazy.

• Reply 36 of 183
    If the iMac had a DisplayPort connector, you could attach the new Cinema Display for a dual monitor setup.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Or give it light and make the whole face black? Get rid of the raccoon look please.

Answer me someone please- why a 24" iMac needs a display port?

• Reply 37 of 183
    Any chance for a new Time Capsule (one that actually works well?;p or new Cinema Displays for those of us without the new MacBook Pros?
  • Reply 38 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

LED backlighting, improved nvidia graphics, and hopefully one or two other nice surprises and a price drop will make the iMac UNSTOPPABLE!

I agree that a price drop would make it nearly "unstoppable", or at least a very big threat to the rest of the computer world. BUT, I wouldn't get your hopes up. There were tons of rumors that the new entry level Macbook was going to have a price drop, when in fact it actually went up! And don't give me this crap that the plastic Macbook dropped $100...that was not what the consumor had in mind when talking about an "entry level price drop".
  • Reply 39 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post

If the iMac had a DisplayPort connector, you could attach the new Cinema Display for a dual monitor setup.

But really- like what would the number of actual iMac users that would use that as opposed to a fire wire port? Do you think it's widely used?
  • Reply 40 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emoney35 View Post

I agree that a price drop would make it nearly "unstoppable", or at least a very big threat to the rest of the computer world. BUT, I wouldn't get your hopes up. There were tons of rumors that the new entry level Macbook was going to have a price drop, when in fact it actually went up! And don't give me this crap that the plastic Macbook dropped $100...that was not what the consumor had in mind when talking about an "entry level price drop".

Wasn't much of the news reporting wrong also- that this was the first time Apple had a laptop under $1,000? Didn't that occur years ago with the iBook G3 or G4 if I remember correctly?