Apple proposes tiny RF modules for ever-present connectivity

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    This exists already.

http://sunspotworld.com/
  • Reply 22 of 46
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    It's amazing how quickly new concepts get pooh-poohed by those afflicted with visionary myopia. Pay attention, people - this could be another game-changer from the fertile brains at Apple - the likes of iPod and iPhone. This is a Patent Office filing of a notable concept, and Apple filed it for a very good reason - to be there first.
  • Reply 23 of 46
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

They obviously resisted the urge to refer to it as 'Personal Area Network Technology Systems'.

Good move. If they don't follow through on the patent, they cannot be accused

of dropping their p.a.n.t.s.
  • Reply 24 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

It's amazing how quickly new concepts get pooh-poohed by those afflicted with visionary myopia. Pay attention, people - this could be another game-changer from the fertile brains at Apple - the likes of iPod and iPhone. This is a Patent Office filing of a notable concept, and Apple filed it for a very good reason - to be there first.

Obviously you did not read the part about this being nothing new. It is amazing how old concepts get a new life by one sided Apple zealots.

Zzzzzzzzzzz......
  • Reply 25 of 46
    Kirk & Sulu use it all the time to send love messages...

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c..._2022_84070217
  • Reply 26 of 46
    This sounds an awful lot like tethering which at&t is opposed to with the $20 & 30 dollar data plans.

What I think Apple is proposing is that instead of purchasing a cellular phone and wireless contract,

people would purchase a cellular router(s) and a wireless contract.

You carry one of these routers in your pocket, maybe have one at home and one in the office.

Your cellphone doesn't need cellular components anymore.

The iPhone could be as thin as an iPod touch.

What Apple is proposing here is not Bluetooth + 3G tethering.

It sounds more like Bluetooth + 700Mhz tethering.

You may recall the FCC's "open access" requirements that Google fought for.

Verizon purchased the open access C-Block for $4.74 billion.

I think we are seeing signs of Apple's preparations for a post-at&t exclusive iPhone.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

The traditional cell phone companies need to die. They need to reborn as wireless data providers starting with the use of 4G technology. This primitive 2 year contract expensive monthly crap HAS GOT TO END if we are to truly push wireless data into the future.

I'm sure that Apple has a multi year vision of how this is going to...or at least SHOULD play out. I wonder if starting next year we will Apple begin to push this initiative. It is VERY HARD for me to say this but I don't see devices such as the "mactouch" being able to take off without multiple personal area network technology being deployed soon.

Perhaps they can debut a generation 1 mactouch using a monthly data only plan using cell phone companies current 3G technology. With plans of newer generations working off of various 4G technology networks.

Agreed it has to happen, the question is how will it happen? The cell networks are the last to fall away from the we-can-charge-you-by-the-information-unit paradigm, and as of the iPhone 1.0 model I would have thought they finally "got" it, and were on the way to affordable broadband via cell phones. That was until the iPhone 2.0 model effectively doubled the data cost of having such a novel thingy, and I decided to do without an iPhone and just use a cell phone as a phone. No music, no camera, no nuthin'. It sounds vaguely luddite, but honestly when I'm not near a 4lb iBook, odds are I'm doing something that requires my concentration and not a dozen things that are likely not necessary.

These technologies need to be on the spectrum of usefulness, closer to the useful end (email) and further from the trivial end (texting) in order to be adopted by people who have some pull in getting the model changed (business customers vs. texting teens).
  • Reply 28 of 46
    They're going for home and auto connectivity followed by work connectivity. It's not new, they just want to do it better.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

They're going for home and auto connectivity followed by work connectivity. It's not new, they just want to do it better.

Now this is a sensible post. Thanks.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Indeed...like bovine sexual intercourse. All of this is EXTREMELY fascinating.

What a sick mind! I think Bovine Sexual Intercourse is probably much more fascinating and certainly much more funnier - as my kids would say.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Exactimo - the innovation is in the implementation.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

Just what I was thinking. It would be nice in a perfect world though.

What? Asking them politely to remove their clothes and them doing it?
  • Reply 33 of 46
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SuperMacGuy View Post

Ugh. Last thing I want in my life or the entire life of the planet is non-stop always-connected electronic thingies. It's like the Borg. C'mon I really like my privacy and want to be free from EM fields as much as possible. This kind of idea is slightly scary.

Is an RF an EM field? You may need an EM field to generate an RF. Realistically, there's nowhere you can be free from EM fields (well. maybe with the exception of a faraday cage or a bunker). There are RFs and EM fields everywhere nowadays.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Peel View Post

As a radio astronomer who uses frequencies in this range to study the universe, can I go: oh god, no...

It's difficult enough getting people to turn off their mobile phones near radio telescopes, let alone something embedded in their clothes!

By the time it happens Astro-G should be up in the air. Do you speak Japanese?
  • Reply 35 of 46
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    I wrote about presence awareness technology in my last book, "Invasion of Privacy".

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159...537779-9142025

While RF does offer potential convenience it can also be used to track your whereabouts and habits. I predicted it would be abused by marketers targeting you and trying to sell you what they perceive you'll buy.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    Quote:

They obviously resisted the urge to refer to it as 'Personal Area Network Technology Systems'.

(snickers under breath)
  • Reply 37 of 46
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

I wrote about presence awareness technology in my last book, "Invasion of Privacy".

Nice Advertisement

• Reply 38 of 46
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

While RF does offer potential convenience it can also be used to track your whereabouts and habits. I predicted it would be abused by marketers targeting you and trying to sell you what they perceive you'll buy.

... and should also be a big hit with the powers to be in the UK! why stop at reading people's email and watching them on the street?
  • Reply 39 of 46
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

What if Microsoft copied this p.a.n.t.s. concept and multiple Zune owners started

exchanging songs over one of these networks? What would that be called?
  • Reply 40 of 46
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

What if Microsoft copied this p.a.n.t.s. concept and multiple Zune owners started

exchanging songs over one of these networks? What would that be called?

"Hey man can I get in your PANTS?"

"Lets make some music in your PANTS!"