Apple proposes tiny RF modules for ever-present connectivity

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

I wrote about presence awareness technology in my last book, "Invasion of Privacy".

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159...537779-9142025

While RF does offer potential convenience it can also be used to track your whereabouts and habits. I predicted it would be abused by marketers targeting you and trying to sell you what they perceive you'll buy.

Exactly! A message can pop-up on your iPhone: "Now that you're 200 feet away from a Cirtcuit City, Where Service Is State Of The Art, you might wanna stop by to checkout that 50" Plasma you always wanted... 205 feet... 210 feet... You just received a $50 coupon... 220 feet... 225 feet... C'mon $100 coupon... 230 feet...

How about Macy's it's only 100 feet away... 105 feet... $20 coupon??... $40?
  • Reply 42 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

What if Microsoft copied this p.a.n.t.s. concept and multiple Zune owners started

exchanging songs over one of these networks? What would that be called?

It would be the Zune Inter-Personal for your Personal Area Network Technology Systems.

I bet Ballmer has a high level manager all over these P.a.n.t.s. right now. Yeah.
  • Reply 43 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

What if Microsoft copied this p.a.n.t.s. concept and multiple Zune owners started

exchanging songs over one of these networks? What would that be called?

Hi there, may I squirt on your p.a.n.t.s ?
  • Reply 44 of 46
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by genericposts View Post

Obviously you did not read the part about this being nothing new. It is amazing how old concepts get a new life by one sided Apple zealots.

Zzzzzzzzzzz......

As to the technology, agreed. That's been discussed before so it's nothing new by your definition. But the Apple filing sets forth a product roadmap for a system that can work in real life. Although an actual product may be vastly different in scope and capability from a rudimentary filing, this displays Apple's unique skill - imagining significant product clusters with vast public appeal and then bringing them to the marketplace.

Don't lump me among the irrational Apple zealots. I was a big buyer of Sony products for decades - computers, TVs, audio, video, PDAs - because for a long time they had the same reputation as Apple today - innovation, quality, reliability. Sony has lost some of its innovative edge, unfortunately. If Apple slips, I'll move on to the next best-in-class innovative supplier.
  • Reply 45 of 46
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikerdude View Post

Hi there, may I squirt on your p.a.n.t.s ?

bikerdude FTW
  • Reply 46 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

As to the technology, agreed. That's been discussed before so it's nothing new by your definition. But the Apple filing sets forth a product roadmap for a system that can work in real life. Although an actual product may be vastly different in scope and capability from a rudimentary filing, this displays Apple's unique skill - imagining significant product clusters with vast public appeal and then bringing them to the marketplace.

Don't lump me among the irrational Apple zealots. I was a big buyer of Sony products for decades - computers, TVs, audio, video, PDAs - because for a long time they had the same reputation as Apple today - innovation, quality, reliability. Sony has lost some of its innovative edge, unfortunately. If Apple slips, I'll move on to the next best-in-class innovative supplier.

Fair enough. I agree with you 100000% regarding the choice of an innovation leader. However here on this site, if Apple does not do it then it is considered garbage or non-innovative. If I lumped you in with the Appleistas please forgive me. In regards, to this concept, it is not new. It has been around for quite some time. I have experienced it in several different countries already via BT. Walk past a Starbucks, and your phone gets a BT message saying Starbucks has a special going. The same with McDonald's, Burger King, etc..... While this might be a good idea, it can be intrusive and will surely lead to misuse by criminal and government agencies.