Informed players say Apple's Mac mini still kickin'

123468

Comments

  • Reply 101 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post


    I hope Apple has either FW800 or eSATA on the new Mac mini, because I want to set my new Mac mini home server on top of one of these:



    LaCie 4big Quadra RAID







    I would have to figure out a way to change the light to red, name the Mac mini Hal and see about getting the computer to emulate that particular voice...



    With a blue eye it's a SAL 9000! The female, earth bound version of HAL.





    As far at the topic goes I hope it's true that the Mac Mini is not going away and is instead being refreshed. As far as refreshing the case goes they could at least change the top of it to be black. The sides are already aluminum. The biggest improvement in my opinion would be if they ditched the intel graphics and went with nvidia.
  • Reply 102 of 158
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,195moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post


    The new 24" Cinema Display isn't primarily targeted at the $1300 laptop purchasing consumer.

    It is designed for professionals spending $2-3000 on a MacBook Pro.

    I'm sure Apple would be delighted if more consumers bought it, but no one in Cupertino is holding their breath.



    The model in the picture is a Macbook and they explicitly say "It doesn’t just expand the screen of your new MacBook, MacBook Pro or MacBook Air". Maybe they are banking on the fact that now the Macbook has being made more pro graphics-wise that people who can do without firewire, ExpressCard etc will save the money on the MBP and go for a Macbook with the display instead.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post


    By the time Mac mini strolls out on stage I'm sure he'll have a darling little 20" Cinema Display with Display Port to accompany him.

    new Mac mini with NVIDIA graphics ....$599

    20" Cinema Display with Display Port ....$599

    new bluetooth keyboard with multi-touch trackpad ....$99



    I don't know why they went with 24-inch. The 20-inch at 1680x1050 would seem like a much more reasonable purchase, especially at $599. I've only ever bought 20-inch displays. Given that most HD content seems to be 720p, it's not really going to offer much having 1920x1080.



    This also brings the Mini + display into line with the iMac price - I was forgetting the Cinema was 24" and the base iMac is 20".
  • Reply 103 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by prw View Post


    But you can get a mini Displayport to DVI adapter . . . then use a DVI-to-HDMI adapter like I have on my mini now.



    But Apple's (and others') implementation of DVI doesn't support audio-over-DVI, right? So, for example, if you wanted to connect the MacMini's output using a DVI-to-HDMI adapter, then into the HDMI input of an audio/video receiver, or directly into the HDMI input of a large flat-panel TV (e.g., 50" and above), the audio would never even make it past the DVI port, right? I used to just send my VGA output into the VGA input of large flat panel TVs, from my Windows box, while sending audio separately.
  • Reply 104 of 158
    felix01felix01 Posts: 221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 460FILMS View Post


    But Apple's (and others') implementation of DVI doesn't support audio-over-DVI, right?



    That's what I thought too from this discussion on the Apple Forum.



    The thread also discusses the workaround. Not elegant but apparently works.



    As far as Apple's Mini DisplayPort on the new laptops, obviously it carries audio since it hooks up to the forthcoming 24-inch LED Cinema Display. But there are no (at least at the present) Mini DisplayPort to HDMI connectors that I'm aware of which will allow video and audio over one cable.
  • Reply 105 of 158
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Felix01 View Post


    That's what I thought too from this discussion on the Apple Forum.



    The thread also discusses the workaround. Not elegant but apparently works.



    As far as Apple's Mini DisplayPort on the new laptops, obviously it carries audio since it hooks up to the forthcoming 24-inch LED Cinema Display. But there are no (at least at the present) Mini DisplayPort to HDMI connectors that I'm aware of which will allow video and audio over one cable.



    I believe the audio (and the iSight) is carried over the USB connection...
  • Reply 106 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Felix01 View Post


    In fact, that MagSafe connection is strong enough that I've had people ask me how to disconnect it. The key is to tilt the connector. It's quite resilient on a straight pull.



    My cats aside, I agree. I've very rarely had it pop out unexpectedly.



    Quote:

    And I'm not sure what your real point is about an internal battery. Clearly Apple isn't going to consider a battery bigger than what's already in a laptop! You noted that your laptop has run down frequently after the power cord had become disconnected by running cats. Presumably it's taken upwards of four to five hours for the laptop to run down and you still hadn't noticed the disconnect so I'd say your expectations are unrealistic. I'm mean get real, the Mac mini wasn't designed/marketed as a mission-critical server!



    My point about the battery is simply that, when the power connector does come out, a laptop is able to handle the loss of external power by switching to battery, and then by hibernating when that runs out. If this happens on a desktop machine (such as a Mini), it will simply power off ungracefully.



    Yes, that's extremely unlikely due to the strength of the magnetic connection, but I still don't see the point of having a magsafe connector on a machine where the power cable is most likely going to be in a place where it won't accidentally be tripped on.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    I don't know why they went with 24-inch. The 20-inch at 1680x1050 would seem like a much more reasonable purchase, especially at $599. I've only ever bought 20-inch displays. Given that most HD content seems to be 720p, it's not really going to offer much having 1920x1080.



    I'm not sure how HD fits in with this. I'm of the opinion that more real-estate is better. I'm not going to be watching HD content on an external screen -- my desire for a second monitor is for doing work in Aperture, where I want the most resolution I can get. However, I do see your point if you're talking about using an external monitor for doing video work such as Final Cut with SD video (at 480), but HD content is likely to be 1080.
  • Reply 107 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post


    I believe the audio (and the iSight) is carried over the USB connection...



    It appears you're correct about that. Even though the DisplayPort White Paper specifies an audio capability, it's listed as "optional." And apparently Apple didn't pick up the option.



    Now I wonder if they exploited that "content protection" capability?



    Many thanks for setting the record straight.
  • Reply 108 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Felix01 View Post


    That's what I thought too from this discussion on the Apple Forum.



    The thread also discusses the workaround. Not elegant but apparently works.



    As far as Apple's Mini DisplayPort on the new laptops, obviously it carries audio since it hooks up to the forthcoming 24-inch LED Cinema Display. But there are no (at least at the present) Mini DisplayPort to HDMI connectors that I'm aware of which will allow video and audio over one cable.



    Thanks. Another site states that, in fact, Apple's new DisplayPort does not support audio. Looks like the Monoprice unit is the thing to get: DVI and S/PDIF in, to HDMI (including audio) out, for only $43!



    http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post


    I believe the audio (and the iSight) is carried over the USB connection...



    Thanks. Pardon my ignorance, but what is that good for?
  • Reply 109 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Felix01 View Post


    Even though the DisplayPort White Paper specifies an audio capability, it's listed as "optional." And apparently Apple didn't pick up the option.



    Now I wonder if they exploited that "content protection" capability?



    Many thanks for setting the record straight.



    Just because audio is currently sent over USB to the 24" monitor, doesn't mean their display port doesn't have the audio option.



    Or is there further evidence?
  • Reply 110 of 158
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 460FILMS View Post


    Thanks. Pardon my ignorance, but what is that good for?



    Well, the USB connection is what Apple is using to transfer the audio signal FROM your MacBook/MacBook Pro TO the 24" LED Cinema Display. It is also what Apple is using to transfer the iSight signal FROM the 24" LED Cinema Display TO your MacBook/MacBook Pro. And, finally, it is what Apple is using to (oddly enough) transfer signals from items attached to the USB hub in the 24" LED Cinema Display TO & FROM your MacBook/MacBook Pro...



    But yeah, what good is any of THAT, really...?!?



  • Reply 111 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post


    I think apple will just kill it off. If apple stated no netbooks why would they keep the mini around?



    Gee, I don't know. Maybe because the market for netbooks and the market for the mac mini are completely unrelated?



    If Apple releases a mini with the same graphics chip as the macbook, my windows desktop will be torn apart and sold. The graphics chip in the current mini is the only thing keeping me from buying one.
  • Reply 112 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post


    Well, the USB connection is what Apple is using to transfer the audio signal FROM your MacBook/MacBook Pro TO the 24" LED Cinema Display. It is also what Apple is using to transfer the iSight signal FROM the 24" LED Cinema Display TO your MacBook/MacBook Pro. And, finally, it is what Apple is using to (oddly enough) transfer signals from items attached to the USB hub in the 24" LED Cinema Display TO & FROM your MacBook/MacBook Pro...



    But yeah, what good is any of THAT, really...?!?



    Thanks. I get it now. Audio-over-USB is now an essential part of any digital audio workstation-based (DAW) home studio since virtually all modern synths, samplers, and sound modules send/receive both digital audio + MIDI control data over USB, both to and from your DAW (e.g. Apple Logic). The ancillary "applications" of audio-over-USB which you mentioned are simply the remaining "uses" of this rather essential feature.



    It's the additional transmission of the iSight video that threw me. That's cool, actually.
  • Reply 113 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post


    Just because audio is currently sent over USB to the 24" monitor, doesn't mean their display port doesn't have the audio option.



    Or is there further evidence?



    Not sure if this was my original reference, but here it is:



    " . . . There’s currently no HDMI output dongle, but HDMI itself is just a repackaged DVI output, so HDTV users can plug in their Mac using the Single-Link DVI dongle and a standard DVI to HDMI cable. Apple does not route audio over the Mini DisplayPort, so there’s no way to push audio and video over the same connector as can be done with the HDMI-equipped Apple TV . . . "



    --Daniel Eran Dilger, Roughly Drafted Magazine, 21 October 2008




    Here's a link to that source:



    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/1...i-displayport/



    Being a relative newcomer to the modern Apple product line, I'm quickly learning Apple is segregating its products' I/O to a finer degree than I thought. Reserving HDMI output solely to the lone AppleTV product is curious--and frustrating. It's difficult enough dealing with multiple signal sources, using HDMI audio-video receivers (AVRs) as universal audio/video switchers, so it has been convenient to standardize on HDMI's "uni-cable" approach to traditional audio/video signal routing for the home nonlinear editing (NLE) studio (e.g., Final Cut Pro). Now, all you would need is that single-link DVI dongle, and a separate, S/PDIF audio stream to make this happen, for input either directly onto your large-screen, flat-panel TV, or into your AVR, for ease of signal routing. As long as I can extract an S/PDIF bitstream from the Apple audio port (is that coaxial or TOS?), then all this still works with most any given AVR with HDMI and HDMI-associate-able digital audio inputs. That still works--you would just need two cables instead, and that dongle thingy, Or, you could get that neat Monoprice "DVI & S/PDIF Digital Coax/Optical Toslink Audio to HDMI Converter" box for $43.



    Anyway, regardless of any of the above, I'm just so damned happy about the pending arrival of a refreshed MacMini! Thanks, Apple!
  • Reply 114 of 158
    philipmphilipm Posts: 239member
    Guys you are all totally off base.



    From recent history, the new mini will be carved out of a solid lump of titanium by a jedi knight using a light sabre, and will cost twice as much as the old model. The old model will persist at a lower price point, rebadged so that rubes think it's part of the new range.



    You can see the engineering team gearing up for production here.
  • Reply 115 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post


    I think apple will just kill it off. If apple stated no netbooks why would they keep the mini around?



    because some folks are very vocal about not wanting to pay over $1000 for a desktop. Not when they can get a wintel for half that.



    so the Mini with it's "use your old monitor and keyboard" set up is a way to lure folks in.
  • Reply 116 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post


    If they did that I'd buy one for sure. And it would even get me to buy my very first Blu-ray movie, too. I have no interest in getting a stand-along Blu-ray player and cluttering up my home theater.




    don't hold your breath on that one. Jobs has already pointed out that there is a strong demand going for the HD downloads of movies and tv shows off the itunes store and that the costs needed to include Blu-ray at this point in time are too high . Unless one of those factors changes a lot, a built in drive won't happen. the best you will be able to hook up is a 3rd party standalone external.
  • Reply 117 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Project2501 View Post


    Do you guys think that the new 24 inch display for notebooks could also power mac mini via its MagSafe connector? I think the new Display could be a wonderful companion for mac mini as well.



    This is a nice thought, but think about the purpose of the magsafe power adapter: break away from the computer to prevent catastrophe, right? We can get away with this with laptops because they immediately run via battery power once the magsafe cable is tripped.



    I imagine Mac mini owners might be rather upset if their system all of a sudden reset because the magsafe power cable broke away from the computer.
  • Reply 118 of 158
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crentist View Post


    I imagine Mac mini owners might be rather upset if their system all of a sudden reset because the magsafe power cable broke away from the computer.



    Magsafe is as good a connection as the current power port on the Mac mini. Even if it's a little less secure, how vulnerable is a connection on the back of a desktop computer, anyway? Mine is usually way out of site and hard to reach.



    I think it's a good idea. It would reduce the size of the current power brick, allow use of a single brick for several Mac models and allow the new display to power the mini, eliminating one extra cord.
  • Reply 119 of 158
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Mac Mini refresh = huge YAY.



    I predict very similar specs to the new MacBook, including NVidia graphics and excluding FireWire.



    Despite the possible FW omission I will still devour one where it stands in the shop.
  • Reply 120 of 158
    felix01felix01 Posts: 221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post


    Magsafe is as good a connection as the current power port on the Mac mini. Even if it's a little less secure, how vulnerable is a connection on the back of a desktop computer, anyway? Mine is usually way out of site and hard to reach.



    I think it's a good idea. It would reduce the size of the current power brick, allow use of a single brick for several Mac models and allow the new display to power the mini, eliminating one extra cord.



    Well said, Dave. You've summed it up succinctly, the MagSafe connector is quite secure and no one need fear that it's going to disconnect serendipitously. IMO, to say anything else is scaremongering by people who've never used it or people who are using their MagSafe-equipped laptops in a manner which exceeds the design intent.



    I think MagSafe is a marvelous invention which does exactly what it's supposed to. The only reason it isn't used by more manufacturers is the NIH (Not Invented Here) factor. Or maybe the patent.
Sign In or Register to comment.