iPhone 2.2 beta to add public transit & walking directions

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The next version of Apple's iPhone software will not only introduce Street Views to the handset's Maps application, but also provide bus, train and walking directions, a series of new photos reveal.



Public Transit Directions



iPhoneYap has posted an extensive screenshot gallery from iPhone Software 2.2 beta 2, released Friday, which offers a walkthrough and detailed descriptions of the new features.



When set in Directions mode, Maps now offers three icons -- car, public transit, and walking -- centered at the top of screen, in between the "Edit" and "Start" buttons. Selecting the transit icon provides a list of transit choices that can include subways, buses, or a combination of the two.



A list of departure times and estimated commute times accompany each transit option. Once you select a particular method of transit, the Maps application will serve up step-by-step directions from your current location, usually directing you to your chosen departure subway or bus stop on foot. During commutes, Maps will specify when you should board or disembark from a bus or train.



Screenshots of iPhone 2.2 beta 2 showing public transit directions | Source: iPhoneYap.com



Street View



Meanwhile, Street views on the iPhone will let you view street-level photographs, just as they would at maps.google.com. To activate the feature, iPhoneYap reports that you simply need to "drop a pin or click a searched location to get the tooltip to popup from the pin." The tooltip popup then serves as a gateway to the Street View interface.



Once in Street View, you'll notice two options in a bar at the top of the screen: "Report" and "Done." A small navigation circle showing your current location (on a map) overlays each Street View photograph.



Screenshots of iPhone 2.2 beta 2 showing Street Views | Source: iPhoneYap.com



Location Sharing



One final feature noticed in the new version of Maps is location sharing. Selecting the "Share Location" option of an address will auto-fill an email with a hyperlink to the location, which will automatically launch and load in Maps application of the recipient, assuming they too have an iPhone.



Screenshots of iPhone 2.2 beta 2 showing Share Location | Source: iPhoneYap.com

«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 50
    Dammit. I would have paid another $100-150 for my touch if Apple had included a real functional GPS in it. Still not getting the iPhone until others carry it.
  • Reply 2 of 50
    I've been wondering if those metro icons were actually useful or not. And does anyone know if Google is just supporting a few Metro systems are actively advocating getting information from all Metro bus systems? Limited or wide-spread support would be the difference form novelty to must-have.
  • Reply 3 of 50
    Public transit sounds awesome! For them to include it the system must be reliable enough for the information to be meaningful, one would think. Now this is something I am really looking forward to.
  • Reply 4 of 50
    zzzzz. Apple please wake me up when you get around to putting something significant, something 80% of users are waiting for since version 2.0



    PUSH technology.
  • Reply 5 of 50
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post


    Public transit sounds awesome! For them to include it the system must be reliable enough for the information to be meaningful, one would think. Now this is something I am really looking forward to.



    I predict that (like pretty much all "location aware" iPhone software), it will be accurate in California and New York, reasonably so in the rest of the USA and absolutely useless for the rest of the world.



    Just sayin.
  • Reply 6 of 50
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I assume the "Report" button is for use in the event that you see a naked man or crime-in-progress in Street View?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post


    I predict that (like pretty much all "location aware" iPhone software), it will be accurate in California and New York, reasonably so in the rest of the USA and absolutely useless for the rest of the world.



    Just sayin.



    You can probably judge it by Google maps, since that's the service Apple's using. I don't live in CA or NY, nor any huge city, but my maps functionality is accurate and detailed. Street View even (medium-sized city).
  • Reply 7 of 50
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post


    ... You can probably judge it by Google maps, since that's the service Apple's using. I don't live in CA or NY, nor any huge city, but my maps functionality is accurate and detailed. Street View even (medium-sized city).



    The maps are pretty accurate, although street view is certainly not everywhere yet.



    I was referring more to the plethora of apps that tell you what movie theatres, restaurants, or those that tell you what's on TV in your area etc. They don't seem to work outside of the USA (or work well anyway), and they form an absolutely huge percentage of apps in the app store.



    The comment about the accuracy of the transit info in the previous post was what I was focussing on. It would be nice, but I am not counting on it being accurate or indeed even available in my area for years.



    Sometimes when you live in a large US city, you lose track of the perspective the rest of the world has on these sorts of things. I think Apple and Google employees are no different in that respect.
  • Reply 8 of 50
    Well...



    And what about sync-ed notes and to-do list? Are there coming at last
  • Reply 9 of 50
    Wow! I'm all over this! Love it!
  • Reply 10 of 50
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    The Walk feature is huge, since I do not have a car and all
  • Reply 11 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post


    I predict that (like pretty much all "location aware" iPhone software), it will be accurate in California and New York, reasonably so in the rest of the USA and absolutely useless for the rest of the world.



    Just sayin.



    location services is very accurate in the E.U., europe that... for americans it has to be spelled out... otherwise comments like the one quoted above would not be made... LOL...
  • Reply 12 of 50
    and google is scanning for street view in europe in germany, UK, france, spain and italy right now...



    in australia, japan, new zealand, singapore as well...



    flickr group about street view: http://www.flickr.com/groups/googlestreetviewcar/



    just look @ the group map or the discussion area...
  • Reply 13 of 50
    technotechno Posts: 695member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post


    The maps are pretty accurate, although street view is certainly not everywhere yet.



    I was referring more to the plethora of apps that tell you what movie theatres, restaurants, or those that tell you what's on TV in your area etc. They don't seem to work outside of the USA (or work well anyway), and they form an absolutely huge percentage of apps in the app store.



    The comment about the accuracy of the transit info in the previous post was what I was focussing on. It would be nice, but I am not counting on it being accurate or indeed even available in my area for years.



    Sometimes when you live in a large US city, you lose track of the perspective the rest of the world has on these sorts of things. I think Apple and Google employees are no different in that respect.



    I think this may have been true 6 months to a year ago. But not so much any more. I live in Montreal, Canada and have no problems at all with locating restaurants, theaters, etc in google maps, or other specialized apps. "Now Playing" is a great a movie theatre app that is accurate here.
  • Reply 14 of 50
    and google already supplies tram and bus info in many european cities! the info i checked was very accurate...



    even in cities that are 300-500k... threshold is 100k i think, @ least in germany...
  • Reply 15 of 50
    technotechno Posts: 695member
    Finally, the Maps app is showing some signs of maturity.
  • Reply 16 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post


    I think this may have been true 6 months to a year ago. But not so much any more. I live in Montreal, Canada and have no problems at all with locating restaurants, theaters, etc in google maps, or other specialized apps. "Now Playing" is a great a movie theatre app that is accurate here.



    i think the movie theater thing is north america specific... there's nothing like that or a working API for movie theaters to use and share their data... also the highway traffic data is not easily accessible by private parties... the traffic feature in google maps does not work in europe... huge bummer...



    i use "exposure", "aroundme" and "trapster" all work in germany and all over euroe, and they deliver very accurate info...



    i use twinkle for twitter on iphone and there's a ton of people using twinkle in my area...!!!
  • Reply 17 of 50
    i think street view will be huge in the coming years... i wonder what cool apps will take advantage of it;-)
  • Reply 18 of 50
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,080member
    Null.
  • Reply 19 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post


    I predict that (like pretty much all "location aware" iPhone software), it will be accurate in California and New York, reasonably so in the rest of the USA and absolutely useless for the rest of the world.



    Just sayin.



    Ah come on, don't pretend the US is the only developed country in the world. Google Maps is accurate and has lots of information also in Europe. In Cologne where I live even the smallest shops and cafes can be found using the Maps application. I'm really looking forward to these news features.
  • Reply 20 of 50
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,946member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post


    Sometimes when you live in a large US city, you lose track of the perspective the rest of the world has on these sorts of things. I think Apple and Google employees are no different in that respect.



    So far, I think the top 50 US metropolitan areas are on Street View. Street View is available for some parts of Japan too, there was a bit of a fufurah about it a couple months ago.
Sign In or Register to comment.