Apple seen having leeway to sell iPhone at $99

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xtrail View Post

They discourage your option to upgrade with penalties.

This only benefits providers and forces users to skip models.

i'd check that. ask ATT. if you have an iphone from last year, you get the upgrade price.

Quote:

Sell them unlocked at the Apple Store without contract for an extra $100

without the contract, ATT ain't paying diddy on the equipment cost. so that's $399 and $499 right there. and if they are going to unlock the phone you can bet it will be more like $200 more. thus the $599 and $699 sites keep saying is out there.
  • Reply 62 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by genericposts View Post

Sorry but this is Apples fault as it is AT&T's.

actually you may find that it is indeed ATTs fault. they sell a separate 3G modem device and aren't likely to degrade that if they can. thus perhaps a prohibition on tethering with the iphone. unless they can come up with a way to detected and block the use unless you want to pay a higher data plan for a tethering option.
  • Reply 63 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarges View Post

I don't care if they sell the phone $500 or even $999 but let me decide which sim card I should put inside, which carrier, which plan and ability to switch carrier as I travel from country to country. $99? it's just a gimmick, your service providers' plan will increase, to make up with the initial loss. Free the iPhone, free us.

once again, someone griping at Apple and ATT for doing what every company does. Sidekick is still TMobile only. the LG Dare is only Verizon, the Samsung Instinct is Sprint only.

if you are going to gripe, don't make it an Apple only issue. go out there and put the buzz out to stop all locking. Just like they did in France etc.
  • Reply 64 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

once again, someone griping at Apple and ATT for doing what every company does. Sidekick is still TMobile only. the LG Dare is only Verizon, the Samsung Instinct is Sprint only.

if you are going to gripe, don't make it an Apple only issue. go out there and put the buzz out to stop all locking. Just like they did in France etc.

out of USA one can buy handsets from any manufacturers directly at their retail shops, think of Nokia, Sony etc. you pay full price and take it home. No need of activation online. You then insert the sim card of your choice. Full stop. if you decide to change carrier, you give 1 month notice and get another sim card without fuss. Alternatively. if you don't want to pay the hefty price up front, then you get it from a carrier and they lock you in a year plan (not 18 or 24 months like iPhone). Apple makes 1 phone only, that cannot be purchased on its own no matter how much you willing to pay (except in a handful of countries). You got to have your balls tied to a carrier for 18 or 24 months (depending on the country); longer than any other plan in the market.

If you want to comment on these things then you better travel outside USA (if you ever did); there is a big, different world out there.