Apple's NVIDIA-based MacBook Airs arrive early, get unboxed

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think for many?mysefl included?the real missing feature of the MBA is the 3G card.

I agree. But it's also missing the same thing my iPhone 3G is missing . . .

3G COVERAGE!!!
  • Reply 22 of 47
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Have hybrid storage been proven to be useful to anyone? It's a nice concept, but a "speed boost", it is not, at least not that I've heard or read.

Who wrote hybrid? Once SSD technology gets close to Winchester technology in terms of price/capacity, then it will not make sense to package it in an enclosure designed for HDDs. It will make more sense to integrate the flash storage on the motherboard. The only disadvantage is that it's not upgradable, but probably well under 1% of laptop owners ever upgrade their HDD.

Update: I see now how you might have supposed that I meant hybrid storage. I had accidently typed MB rather than GB in one sentence. I had it right in the following sentence. I've now fixed the earlier post.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Is this the first time the box got bigger, even though the device did not get bigger?

He can buy a 12" mUSB-to-fUSB cable for 99¢.

Im sure he has one. He shouldn't need one though. Terrible design move. No excuses. None.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LichMBA View Post

I opted for the SSD, concerned by the potential for HD failure (two fragged disks in two years on work Thinkpads).

From my personal experience Mac OS X seems to have fragmentation under control for a considerably longer period than Windows. However, smaller HDs that are kept close to full will fragment quicker.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

When I explained that it only had one USB port and no optical drive, they couldn't believe it. Pretty much any conversation (with non-fanboys) have led to the same thing. No one can really explain why they want a MBA other than the cool factor, which I guess is enough for some.

I think you're reaching a one-sided conclusion.

I'm one of those who wouldn't buy a laptop with a built-in optical drive. Why should I carry something I never use? I thought I'd need more USB ports than one, but I haven't needed to plug in anything beyond a USB stick.

This first gen MBA has been good to me. It does everything I need, and I love its minimalist feel. I just carry it everywhere with me without thinking twice so I could write my stories when I have a sudden free minute. This freedom beats any "cool factor" for me. In fact, I'd not mind covering my MBA so less people stare at it when I work in a public place.

As for the non-fanboys, a couple of my colleagues bought Airs after seeing me work on it.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:

Is this the first time the box got bigger, even though the device did not get bigger?

Yes I was confused by that too. The box on the right in the pics was smaller and waaay cooler-looking. The white one with the handle looks like the old-style boxes (same as my MacBook 1st gen).
  • Reply 27 of 47
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Question: Did Apple add the fourth conductor to the headphone jack on the revised Airs that they did to the new MacBooks and Pros, enabling mic and playback controls via iPhone-style wired headphones?
  • Reply 28 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

Question: Did Apple add the fourth conductor to the headphone jack on the revised Airs that they did to the new MacBooks and Pros, enabling mic and playback controls via iPhone-style wired headphones?

yes, i read they did
  • Reply 29 of 47
    Quote:

I agree. I think for many ?mysefl included? the real missing feature of the MBA is the 3G card.

...i'm ?yet another one? who's right behind you!
  • Reply 30 of 47
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by i love the www View Post

yes, i read they did

That's nice. How about some...proof?
  • Reply 31 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I have a MacBook Air because light weight is important to me and because I cannot tolerate having an optical drive in a laptop that I will never use. I don't need any additional ports. I care very little about the cool factor.

If I could make my dream changes to the MacBook Air, they would be the following from most desired to least desired:

- 2560x1600 13" display (I would use Resolution Independence even though it's unpolished)

- lighter weight

- faster/more RAM

- longer battery life

- lower cost

I expect that the next major redesign in two or so years will integrate 256GB or 512GB flash onto the motherboard to reduce size, weight, and cost while increasing reliability. Perhaps there will be two options: slower CPU with 4GB ram, 256GB flash, and a 1920x1200 13" display or faster CPU with 8GB ram, 512GB flash, and a 2560x1600 13" display.

dream on... you basically just said, "if I could make a new computer that is soooo much better than the air and make it look like an air and make it cheaper than an air..."

apple fanboys can take it too far... trust me, I'm one of them.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by federmoose View Post

dream on... you basically just said, "if I could make a new computer that is soooo much better than the air and make it look like an air and make it cheaper than an air..."

You missed the point. What I basically said is that I don't want or miss any of the features that some here lament as missing from the MacBook Air. An internal optical drive or more ports are just not on my wish list.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

You missed the point. What I basically said is that I don't want or miss any of the features that some here lament as missing from the MacBook Air. An internal optical drive or more ports are just not on my wish list.

I like it, but opted for a new [Al] MB instead. My reasons weren't based on price, but on the lack of 4GB RAM, HDD that was smaller than my current needs, and an insufficient battery life. A faster CPU would be nice, but that wasn't a deal breaker.

On your previous points..

Quote:

- 2560x1600 13" display (I would use Resolution Independence even though it's unpolished)

- lighter weight

- faster/more RAM

- longer battery life

- lower cost

- Higher res would be nice but there is a performance and battery hit for it. But without a properly working RI option it's just not worth it. I hope they get that ready for SL.

- I can't see them getting lighter than 3lbs unless they move from Aluminium to Magnesium.

- A faster CPU isn't possible with the SFF options they use. 1.86GHz is the fastest, but 4GB as standard would be a nice staple for the MBA. The Intel SSDs due out soon are showing significant speed gains over other SSDs. I hope Apple uses these.

- Longer battery life is needed since you can't replace the battery. Until it can go at least 6 hours under normal use this will never be a viable option for me. Is their new battery tech that increases battery life without adding weight?

- The device is high compared to most notebooks, but notebooks are high compared to desktops. Judging by the cost of the parts, the MBA is priced well; and using the other 13" ultra-light notebooks now vying for some MBA marketshare it's priced very competitively.

Since it is a higher-priced Mac notebook which is not for the average Mac consumer, I wish they would have used a 16GB USB thumb drive for the OS install instead of shipping the DVDs. Not only does it give the buyer a little more comfort in buying a PC without a DVD-ROM, but makes reinstalling OS X a snap and paves the way for Apple's future removal of the DVD-drive on their next case revision (hoping).
  • Reply 34 of 47
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Hi guys, I would like to comment, from my Apple sales experience :: handles = good.

Why? Well, my personal opinion, you don't need a separate bag, paper or plastic, just for the laptop. You get it, carry it off, and... voila, one less paper/plastic bag to use up, if you choose to.

Also, not sure if AppleInsider has reported it (maybe I missed it recently), AFAIK the iPod Touch has now drastically reduced packaging. Not the box anymore, just the casing very similar to the Nano and Shuffle.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lafe View Post

I agree. But it's also missing the same thing my iPhone 3G is missing . . .

3G COVERAGE!!!

Heh. Funny, but tragic. Is it AT&T?
  • Reply 36 of 47
    I think LichMBA is referring to "fragged" as in "killed/dead" ... not as in file-fragmented?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

From my personal experience Mac OS X seems to have fragmentation under control for a considerably longer period than Windows. However, smaller HDs that are kept close to full will fragment quicker.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LichMBA View Post

...I opted for the SSD, concerned by the potential for HD failure (two fragged disks in two years on work Thinkpads)...

• Reply 37 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

When the MacBook Air first came out, they came in a custom Apple designed bag just for the first MacBook Air customers.

After the stores ran out of the special bag they just put them in regular Apple bags. Now they won't need to use a bag since it has a handle.

I always thought the custom bags, in a way, partially negated the gains made in reduced packaging and screamed "ego." When I got my iPhone 3G, I specifically asked for a plain (and presumably cheaper) bag. For me, the Apple experience is about the product and its performance, not the bag I use to carry it home.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post

I always thought the custom bags, in a way, partially negated the gains made in reduced packaging and screamed "ego." When I got my iPhone 3G, I specifically asked for a plain (and presumably cheaper) bag. For me, the Apple experience is about the product and its performance, not the bag I use to carry it home.

More like additional advertising. Apple made those bags for the same reason other manufactures make and give away -T-shirts with their logo on them. Spread the word.

Each bags screams "Another Mac product SOLD". Advertising. One can go out of their way to get a plain brown wrapper. Fine. Big deal.

For all the other people who get handed a logo emblazoned bag as a matter of course, it's a matter of small minds to infer "ego".

Whether or not one gets or chooses a particular bag really doesn't make them a better or worse person. Potentially, a person who goes out of their way to cast a pall on "ego" and then tell about how they work specifically avoid "ego", could have more or it than the person who is just handed a bag to get his or her goodies home.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    Quote:

I know I should just not saying anything if I can't say something nice...

And yet...

Quote:

and there are plenty of people who do want/need one. However, I still just can't see why you would want the MBA.

Really. Then how is it that you can (apparently) appreciate that there are people who/need want one? Are you that ignorant of the features it does have compared the the ones it doesn't? Actually, it's just a matter of objectivity and computer savvy to understand that there is a segment that can appreciate that the MBA offers a balance of features and price that suits them.

The rest of your post is just more crap and bias. People buy the MBA only because it's cool? You aren't really competent enough to give purchase advice, obviously.

The MBA isn't for everybody. But your petty contention that it isn't for anybody (oh, except fan-boys, riiiight) is short-sighted at best. (See, I can say something nice.)
  • Reply 40 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...Apple's new eco-friendly packaging is actually slightly larger in volume due to the shift in materials...

It may be that the shift in eco-friendly materials resulted in less stout packaging, requiring more for the same strength/protection for the contents.

Given the drive towards ecology, I doubt Apple/Jobs said "Hey, now that we've reduced the packaging, let's make it BIGGER!"

And that wouldn't be the work of one of his minions. That would never get by Job's radar. The guy would need up packaging returns/refurbs at Dell. Or Gateway.