Apple puts further 2008 Mac updates on ice

Comments

• Reply 41 of 106
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

It would be a crappy MWSF 2009 if it was just updates to existing lines.

It would be a fantastic MWSF2009 if OSX gets a wide release.
  • Reply 42 of 106
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    I'm thinking that maybe slower than expected sales due to the economic downturn has left Apple with a larger than expected inventory of the current iMac models that they want to clear out over the holiday season before introducing the revised models?
  • Reply 43 of 106
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    My guess is that Apple is postponing the iMac/Mac Mini updates because those machines no longer have FireWire ports on them and they want to avoid the bad press...
  • Reply 44 of 106
    sekiosekio Posts: 150member
    This is bad for me. I'm getting a computer loan when my student loan finally comes in in a couple weeks. Problem is, I have 60 days to use it. I'm planning on replacing my 3 1/2 year old Mini with a new iMac and figured an update to the iMacs would be coming any week. Looks like I'm going to have to buy the current model and fume for a couple weeks when Apple updates the iMac into some kind of super computer after Christmas!
  • Reply 45 of 106
    nasdarqnasdarq Posts: 137member
    What about the iPhone 32GB and the lowering of the price of the 16GB model? Still likely or not this year?
  • Reply 46 of 106
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nasdarq View Post

What about the iPhone 32GB and the lowering of the price of the 16GB model? Still likely or not this year?

Not a chance! (for this year anyway IMO).

Maybe at Macworld in January? Fingers crossed.
  • Reply 47 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Nothing wrong it from my POV as a consumer, but if I were at Apple I'd kill it if I had such power as I don't think it's good for Apple's business in its current focus. Now, if they change their focus to business, a mini-tower may have more relevance to their business model, but I still think that Apple would be better off at making a business-line of desktop computers that aren't available to the consumer.

it is wise to hold on to the company money instead of investing in R&D and new product lines. Apple as a corporation and Apple's Executives see things in the up and up... As in corporate taxes going up, income taxes going up, payroll taxes, going up,... you get the picture!
  • Reply 48 of 106
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Can it. JeffDM has removed a lot of political posts recently and you're likely to be next at this rate. Stick to the topic.
  • Reply 49 of 106
    No politics.
  • Reply 50 of 106
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I always find it laughable...

We have a forum here called Political Outsider if you want to peddle your inane political views.
  • Reply 51 of 106
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I always find it laughable..

Hawaii's white?? Have you ever BEEN to Hawaii?

From wikipedia:

Ethnically, Hawaii is one of only four states in which non-Hispanic whites do not form a majority, and has the largest percentage of Asian Americans.

As of 2005, Hawaii was 41% white, and 57% Asian and Pacific-Islander (including native Hawaiians). There are also a LOT of mixed-race folks there.

• Reply 52 of 106
    Quote:

Nothing wrong it from my POV as a consumer, but if I were at Apple I'd kill it if I had such power as I don't think it's good for Apple's business in its current focus. Now, if they change their focus to business, a mini-tower may have more relevance to their business model, but I still think that Apple would be better off at making a business-line of desktop computers that aren't available to the consumer.

I dunno Solip... I obviously don't agree, but there's no use re-hashing such an oft-argued topic. I'm pretty sure you're wrong and you're pretty sure I'm wrong... but I think Apple will eventually get into the biz market a few years down the road, and we'll be able to see what's what then. Should be interesting.
  • Reply 53 of 106
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

From wikipedia:

Ethnically, Hawaii is one of only four states in which non-Hispanic whites do not form a majority, and has the largest percentage of Asian Americans.

As of 2005, Hawaii was 41% white, and 57% Asian and Pacific-Islander (including native Hawaiians). There are also a LOT of mixed-race folks there.

I have never been to geographically nicer state than Hawaii.
  • Reply 54 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sekio View Post

This is bad for me. I'm getting a computer loan when my student loan finally comes in in a couple weeks. Problem is, I have 60 days to use it. I'm planning on replacing my 3 1/2 year old Mini with a new iMac and figured an update to the iMacs would be coming any week. Looks like I'm going to have to buy the current model and fume for a couple weeks when Apple updates the iMac into some kind of super computer after Christmas!

Hmm... a couple of weeks plus 60 days? Sounds like you could hold out 'til mid-January. Macworld's kind of early this year, with the Stevenote on January 6 (?) IIRC, so if you can wait 'til then, there might be some very nice product announcements.

Of course, you never know with Steve-o. You could wait, and then end up being ecstatic, or utterly disappointed... it's always a roll of the dice. Part of being a Mac user.

• Reply 55 of 106
    Quote:

I dunno Solip... I obviously don't agree, but there's no use re-hashing such an oft-argued topic. I'm pretty sure you're wrong and you're pretty sure I'm wrong... but I think Apple will eventually get into the biz market a few years down the road, and we'll be able to see what's what then. Should be interesting.

I don't mind disagreeing with posters on this forum. In fact, I look forward to it so long as it's mostly civil.

Leaving the xMac aside, do you think Apple will tackle the business sector shortly? I think they only have three choices as they move to a saturation point in the +$1000 consumer market: Business, sub-$1000, or more foreign markets.
  • Reply 56 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

We have a forum here called Political Outsider if you want to peddle your inane political views.

After doing a search on political posts on AI, it seems a little INSANE that any of this crap has to go on here. I am sure most of us have fairly firm views on who we think should be the next President (I certainly do) but they should be contained to other sites that promote/propagate discussion on those subjects.

Total posts on AI under each candidates name:

Biden - 60

McCain - 327

Obama - 386

Palin - 86

Seems like we could spew enough crap on Balmer and other detractors to get us through the day...\
  • Reply 57 of 106
    Quote:

I have never been to geographically nicer state than Hawaii.

I love Hawaii, especially Maui. And when I state that it isn't a 'white' state, I don't mean that as a bad thing or a good thing... just the reality of situ.

• Reply 58 of 106
    Quote:

I love Hawaii, especially Maui.

Yeah, Maui is my favorite too. I have always stayed at the Grand Wailea, but I think I'll end up on the Big Island when I move out there.
  • Reply 59 of 106
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:

[...]

Leaving the xMac aside, do you think Apple will tackle the business sector shortly? I think they only have three choices as they move to a saturation point in the +$1000 consumer market: Business, sub-$1000, or more foreign markets.

[...]

I would definitely say foreign markets as the easiest way to ramp up sales. I'm amazed how little marketing there is in Europe / UK. I think Europeans are latent Mac users as they always pay more for things and therefore hope to get more for their money. If they translated the existing Mac/PC ads from the last three years and used local actors ( French, German, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, etc ) I really think everyone would connect with the message and the humor because we all have the same shared experiences of PCs. And open lots more Apple Stores in Europe.

As for Business, I cannot imagine Apple entering corporate with a Macbook. Small specific businesses yes, but corporate or enterprise, no. I think they would do better to focus on the iPhone for corporate and then look at building all-in-one business solutions for small businesses that already have investment in Apple, such as media companies, and learning from there.
  • Reply 60 of 106
    Quote:

From wikipedia:

Obviously it's not white and I didn't need Wiki to look that up. My point is it's not black either.