Apple puts further 2008 Mac updates on ice

Comments

• Reply 61 of 106
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

We have a forum here called Political Outsider if you want to peddle your inane political views.

Target those who started it, Bro.

I was responding to solipsism's bias.
  • Reply 62 of 106
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't mind disagreeing with posters on this forum. In fact, I look forward to it so long as it's mostly civil.

Well, that's kind of problem on AI. Some ppl are civil, but many are not, and tend to hold grudges that never ever die. It's petty, and it's sad.

Also, a certain (shockingly large) subset of AI posters are extremely quick to question others' intelligence and motivations for having a certain POV. I don't personally feel abused, but I've seen plenty of discussions that've resembled holy wars of sorts. Again, sad, and it's part of why I don't come 'round here that regularly anymore.

Quote:

Leaving the xMac aside, do you think Apple will tackle the business sector shortly? I think they only have three choices as they move to a saturation point in the +$1000 consumer market: Business, sub-$1000, or more foreign markets.

Hmm, sounds like you've been thinking about this too, since I had a very recent post that talked about this.

Yeah, at these growth rates, in a few years Apple runs out of well-heeled consumers in the US to sell to. I think they want to remain a growth company, so the question then becomes, "Where do they go from there?". You list business, sub-$1K, and foreign markets, which are indeed the likely suspects.

Which markets they choose comes down to how Apple sees itself, or, more correctly, how Steve sees Apple.

Steve sees Apple and Apple products, Macs especially, as "special", and worth a price premium. He kind of ditched that mentality for the iPod (with VERY successful results), but Apple was under the gun when the iPod came along, which forced Steve to finally "think differently". Also, Steve wasn't 'in love' with the iPod (IMO) as much as he is with the Mac, so he didn't have to put it on as high of a price-premium pedestal, mentally. I think, even to this day, Steve sees the Mac as 'his' baby.

I also think that when things are good, ppl tend to revert to who they are, and who Steve is is a bit of an elitist.

So, even though it'd probably be very smart, in growth terms, for Apple to eventually get into the upper ranges of the sub-$1k in a serious way (folks, save me the "You want Apple to be eMachines" bull****... that's not what we're talking about), but, Steve's heart isn't in it. Those are not products he'd be excited to promote, and it's not how he sees Apple, rightly or wrongly (I believe wrongly).

If anything, Steve probably sits around thinking about how he can raise MSRPs for Macs, not lower them. Case in point, the $999 MacBook is likely going away the second Steve can safely throw it off the cliff (a lot depends on how deep the recession is), he has absolutely no prob with the cheapest Apple notebook starting at $1300. It's the 'BMW' mentality.

So, that leaves foreign markets and the business market.

Far as foreign markets go, I'm not an expert on why Apple's worldwide marketshare is so very much lower than it's US marketshare, but it's obviously a problem.

Price is something that gets brought up a lot regarding that, and I don't doubt that it's a big factor, but whether, on a case-by-case/nation-by-nation basis, inflated foreign prices for Macs are due to Apple being highly obnoxious on foreign pricing or whether it's due to local tax laws, is something you'd have to ask others. My guess is, 'depends on the country', but Apple should find a way to do better there. Localizing production, perhaps? I dunno.

However, I don't think Apple's poorer foreign sales are only about price. There's also a lot to be said about catering to local tastes. Japanese customers, for example, seem to really really like subnotebooks. I'm not sure that the MacBook Air really filled that void for them, as the footprint of the Air is the same as that of the regular MacBook. Y'know... stuff like that.

I do know that Apple does tend to do well overseas when it does actually cater to foreign markets. The iPhone 3G is a pretty good case in point... foreign sales really firmed up for the iPhone when it went to 3G (though a few dead-enders will continue to deny that 3G had anything to do with it). There's just different expectations in foreign markets, and Steve needs to do away with his "You'll buy what I think you should buy" -type tendencies, which are bad enough for his US customers to deal with.

In the end though, I'm not too hopeful on Apple improving its overseas performance a great deal. Steve is the 'ultimate product guy', and likes personally controlling the product line rather tightly, and he doesn't seem to want to bend over backwards to cater to the world market too much.

I think he thinks the way to go is to make a really good US-centric product, and then, by it's sheer excellence, the rest of the world will 'come around'. Um, okay, maybe. Maybe not. \

The last thing is the biz market, and I do think Apple is going to go there... eventually. There's already good evidence of plenty of businesses be interested in switching, but Apple isn't really holding it's hand out to these folks too much.

Again, it comes down to how Steve sees Apple. Last thing he wants to do is make boring Dell-style mini-towers or pizza boxes specifically for office drudge work. He wants to make elegant consumer machines that will CONVINCE BUSINESSES TO BUY THEM based on their 'inherit excellence'.

As with foreign market, um... maybe, maybe not. But at least in the US, Apple has a strong brand, and what are businesses but a bunch of consumers, at work.

When Apple finally reaches it's (more-or-less) maximum size in the US consumer market, that's the key time for them to make their play for business. Because then you have the maximum number of advocates within a business wanting to use Macs at work.

The thing is though, Apple's tendency will be that they business clientele on Apple's terms, not businesses' terms. The hardware will likely be just be consumer machines, maybe *slightly* modified, at most. Where Apple would make the effort would be in supporting all the major things on various IT depts' wishlists, getting rid of the obvious deal-breakers.

Which'd be awesome, but still, with Apple in the biz market, you end up with a sort of curious parallel to Apple in the consumer market, along the lines of, "Hey, you have to pay more, but this is better, and we're worth it."

Some would say Apple could make the argument of Macs needing less IT personnel to nullify the cost issue (and Mel insists that due to depreciation, cost isn't really an issue at all, though my experience disagrees), but depending on which IT guy you talk to, that benefit is not as big as some maintain, and even if it were, does it make IT depts want to be big advocates for switching if the long-term result is that half of them get laid-off? Catch-22.

So, does Apple make a big splash in the biz market, when they finally get there? No. But they'll be there, in their niche, chipping away slowly.

Anyways, bottom line: Steve's an elitist, and he'll continue making machines for the elite, whether it's for US elitists, foreign elitists, or business elitists. Maybe he has some worldwide marketshare number in mind... 10%... 15%... whatever. And when he hits that, maybe he finally thinks about being a tad less elitist. Only a tad. But only after all other options have been totally and completely exhausted.

Steve's very happy with Apple being the BMW of computers, which is a way is an outgrowth of his ethic of 'humanizing' technology, and it colors all of his thinking in everything Mac-related. The MacBook's unibody construction is merely the latest example.
  • Reply 63 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Obviously it's not white and I didn't need Wiki to look that up. My point is it's not black either- yet he talks all down home like he grew up in Atlanta.

What you said:

Quote:

I always find it laughable the way BHO leaned to speak so ethnic growing up in a white Hawaii.

So, you can understand the confusion. Not that it's a biggie.

Far as how he talks now, well, he's a Chicago resident, and hangs out with a lot of African-Americans. You do that long enough, and you will start 'talking black' a bit.

Happened to me too, in one job I had, and I'm not black.

• Reply 64 of 106
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Target those who started it, Bro.

I was responding to solipsism's bias.

Which is why you were targeted with your derogatory and bigoted comments about Obama's ethnic speak. All I and TBaggins stated was that we can't stand to listen to her. It wasn't a racial or ethnicity issue. There was no commenting about how the political agendas. You took it to a whole... 'nother... level.
  • Reply 65 of 106
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    No politics
  • Reply 66 of 106
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

My guess is that Apple is postponing the iMac/Mac Mini updates because those machines no longer have FireWire ports on them and they want to avoid the bad press...

The iMac will probably keep the FW800 port. It seems like they are just killing firewire 400. They likely won't add FW800 to the Mini as it'll just add to the cost.

I wonder what they'll do with the Mac Pro though. It had FW400 front and back and FW800. I reckon possibly FW800 front and back and I think unless USB3 is a possibility, add eSATA too.

USB3 controllers are available now:

http://www.frescologic.com/

In another 2 months (I hate having to think of that), these chipsets could be tested and put into the new desktops. Given that firewire removal is likely, I guess I'd rather wait and get a better interface implemented.

This would leave the laptops trailing a bit but they won't need a redesign when they switch over.
  • Reply 67 of 106
    No politics
  • Reply 68 of 106
    No politics
  • Reply 69 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

What you said:

So, you can understand the confusion. Not that it's a biggie.

Far as how he talks now, well, he's a Chicago resident, and hangs out with a lot of African-Americans. You do that long enough, and you will start 'talking black' a bit.

Happened to me too, in one job I had, and I'm not black.

Sorry- my dyslexia. I meant- "white in Hawaii. I understand the confusion now.

I've lived in NYC for 25 years and never tawk like a NewYawkah.
  • Reply 70 of 106
    Quote:

The LOL coming from YOU who's made fun of the Polish and the Nazi holocaust before on here.

My speech comment had nothing to do with race- it was about being a phony.

I certainly have made jokes, but can you really say that your comments were stated for a laugh? Whether my comments were funny or not is certainly up for debate, but the tone was in jest.
  • Reply 71 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post

Shame on the mac mini, that thing is an embarrassment

If that's so (I don't have a dog in this fight) I wonder why Microsoft hasn't picked on it in its ads, to counter the I'm a Mac marketing? They could do head-to-head comparisons with what's available in the PC world, and really undermine apple's reputation, deserved or not, for having top products.
  • Reply 72 of 106
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Posts on politics have been edited. Please don't continue with it as they'll be edited too so there's no point.

The topic is that Apple has put their hardware updates on hold for another 2 months.

I would like to see the iMac take on a form similar to the LED Cinema display. They surely have the ability now to get rid of the chin. Maybe it could have the word iMac written in white lettering like the laptops so that people know it's not a Cinema display.

I really don't like the black Apple logo on the current one and a right-to-the-edge black screen looks much better IMO.

I wouldn't expect the prices of the desktops to go up at all. If the Core i7 is cheaper vs the Xeon, the prices may even come down.
  • Reply 73 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I would like to see the iMac take on a form similar to the LED Cinema display. They surely have the ability now to get rid of the chin. Maybe it could have the word iMac written in white lettering like the laptops so that people know it's not a Cinema display.

I really don't like the black Apple logo on the current one and a right-to-the-edge black screen looks much better IMO.

And obliterate the white plasticy Mighty Mouse as it currently exists.
  • Reply 74 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

If that's so (I don't have a dog in this fight) I wonder why Microsoft hasn't picked on it in its ads, to counter the I'm a Mac marketing? They could do head-to-head comparisons with what's available in the PC world, and really undermine apple's reputation, deserved or not, for having top products.

They would have to choose a specific HW vendor, which means they are advertising the HW, over the OS. They would also have a tough time finding marketing points for the HW is just 30 seconds, as well as not getting too technical about it. They would also run the risk of inadvertently advertising the Mac which tends to win on aesthetics, or at least pushing people to see it as a major player.

Note that in only three of all the "Get A Mac" ads has Apple actually referred to Vista, and in only two of the ads actually used the word Windows. It's smart that Apple isn't getting technical about the advantages of Macs as most people, whom 50% are switchers, wouldn't understand the technical data. It's also smart that Apple refers to itself as a Mac and PC, which shrewdly paints all non-Mac PCs as just being generic.

It's a hard marketing position for MS and PC HW vendors to be in. The only one with a chance seems to be Sony with their Vaio line, but even that says generic since it only runs Windows.

Any ideas on how MS could market Windows better?
  • Reply 75 of 106
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Quote:

Note that in only three of all the "Get A Mac" ads has Apple actually referred to Vista, and in only two of the ads actually used the word Windows.

That can't be true. The Vista security man, marketing, the wheel of fortune, the upgrade one (where PC is in a gown), the yoga one, just of the top of my head.
  • Reply 76 of 106
    Quote:

Any ideas on how MS could market Windows better?

Didn't you listen to what Marvin said? Don't you listen?

Quote:

The topic is that Apple has put their hardware updates on hold for another 2 months.

Who cares? Volunteer for them if you care so much.
  • Reply 77 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I wouldn't expect the prices of the desktops to go up at all. If the Core i7 is cheaper vs the Xeon, the prices may even come down.

I think a little thicker would be better than having the current chin, but I wouldn't mind a ittle chin on it.

While it won't happen, since we have the Time Capsule, I would have liked the iMac to have two HDDs in it for RAIDing or, the default, a built in Time Machine backup. They also should make it easier to get to the components. They've had plenty of time to work around the complexities of that design. The current latch mechanism on the new Mac notebooks is excellent!

I wouldn't expect any desktop-grade CPUs in the iMac, even though the heat seems to have come down enough to make it feasible. However, if they did, they could offer a much faster iMac while using the cheaper desktop-grade CPUs.

Will they remove the FW400 port? If yes, will they add a 2nd FW800 port, a 4th USB port or no extra port? I think it's the latter.
  • Reply 78 of 106
    Quote:

Nothing wrong it from my POV as a consumer, but if I were at Apple I'd kill it if I had such power as I don't think it's good for Apple's business in its current focus. Now, if they change their focus to business, a mini-tower may have more relevance to their business model, but I still think that Apple would be better off at making a business-line of desktop computers that aren't available to the consumer.

Apple's current focus leaves me out and that sucks for both parties: I can't have the Mac I want and Apple can't sell me anything.

I seriously doubt Apple will ever make another computer that only "special" customers can buy. Steve learned from the eMac that showing people something they can't have doesn't make them buy other models it just makes them mad.
  • Reply 79 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

That can't be true. The Vista security man, marketing, the wheel of fortune, the upgrade one (where PC is in a gown), the yoga one, just of the top of my head.

You're right. I was still holding data from the pre-2008 ads. I'm going through them one-by-one. So far there plenty that mention Vista, but only one that mentions Windows.
  • Reply 80 of 106
    Quote:

I think a little thicker would be better than having the current chin, but I wouldn't mind a ittle chin on it.

While it won't happen, since we have the Time Capsule, I would have liked the iMac to have two HDDs in it for RAIDing or, the default, a built in Time Machine backup. They also should make it easier to get to the components. They've had plenty of time to work around the complexities of that design. The current latch mechanism on the new Mac notebooks is excellent!

I wouldn't expect any desktop-grade CPUs in the iMac, even though the heat seems to have come down enough to make it feasible. However, if they did, they could offer a much faster iMac while using the cheaper desktop-grade CPUs.

Will they remove the FW400 port? If yes, will they add a 2nd FW800 port, a 4th USB port or no extra port? I think it's the latter.

The chin isn't as obtrusive as it was on the white iMacs, but it should still be minimized as should the acres of extra black space around the LCD. Thin bezel is the way to go.

Two HD bays and desktop components won't happen because Apple seems to want to stick with lower power parts in an effort to appear "green". Of course the iMac will never be truly green because it has a built-in display. LCD manufacture is horribly polluting and forcing people to get a new LCD every time they upgrade their computer is a big step in the wrong direction.

I expect to see just one FW800 and the current 3 USB ports.

I would like to see 2x eSATA, 2x FW800, 6x USB, but Apple doesn't seem to want me as a customer. It makes me want to pirate their software and install it on a hackintosh. Maybe when my current Mac is obsolete I'll be forced to do just that.