Apple readying software patch for quirky MacBook trackpads

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Trackpad issues experienced by users of Apple's new unibody MacBooks and MacBook Pros will be addressed in a forthcoming software update, according to an email response from chief executive Steve Jobs.

The problem, which was documented in AppleInsider's review of the unibody MacBook Pro and covered from another user's perspective earlier this week, is the new glass trackpad's tendency not to register some physical clicks performed by the user.

Having become frustrated with the glitch, one MacBook Pro owner mailed Jobs earlier this week and received a call back from Apple's customer relations department. He was told that the company was "researching the clicking issue" but as of yet could not determine a solution.

However, another customer experiencing the same problem mailed Jobs at a slightly later date and was told that a patch is forthcoming, suggesting that Apple has determined the issue can be completely rectified by a software update.

"Software fix coming soon," the Apple co-founder reportedly said in one of his traditionally terse email replies. \t

Although much of the attention surrounding the glass trackpad clicking issue has come from MacBook Pro users, several unibody 13-inch MacBook owners say they've also experienced the same anomalies.

Due to striking similarities in the design of both products, it's believed that any fix for the MacBook Pro would be deployed in the same manner for the new MacBooks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    As a MacBook owner experiencing the same issue: thank god.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    is this any surprise that there are problems with not having a real button to click on?

cmon.... software isn't the same as a real hardware button. i like the idea of a larger trackpad, but i also like dual buttons a hell of a lot more.

i hope apple brings back even small buttons on the trackpad.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    Actually, there is a button. The trackpad is the button. It's mechanical. It just has to act like one ;-)
  • Reply 4 of 31
    timuscatimusca Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

is this any surprise that there are problems with not having a real button to click on?

cmon.... software isn't the same as a real hardware button. i like the idea of a larger trackpad, but i also like dual buttons a hell of a lot more.

i hope apple brings back even small buttons on the trackpad.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rawhead View Post

Actually, there is a button. The trackpad is the button. It's mechanical. It just has to act like one ;-)

Yep, the entire trackpad is a physical button.... the problem is that it isn't reacting as it should and a software fix will make it all better.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

Yep, the entire trackpad is a physical button.... the problem is that it isn't reacting as it should and a software fix will make it all better.

Yeah the new trackpad is like the big button you press in a public restroom to dry your hands.

Bang on it!
  • Reply 6 of 31
    Thank you! I thought I was the only one - and loosing my mind!
  • Reply 7 of 31
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UltraSPARC View Post

Thank you! I thought I was the only one - and loosing my mind!

Better tighten it up quickly before something falls out.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    Got my second Macbook Pro last night and the hinge still will not stay open when held at a angle or when you move the computer. FIX IT OR RECALL IT!
  • Reply 9 of 31
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by templetonrl View Post

Got my second Macbook Pro last night and the hinge still will not stay open when held at a angle or when you move the computer. FIX IT OR RECALL IT!

Apparently, it's meant to be like that. They designed it to be less stiff. If you don't like it, I guess you need to get a plastic MacBook, a second-hand Mac or a laptop from a different manufacturer.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    I though combination track button and track pad was very natural and reliable, even with right clicks. That being said, does Apple bother to test things anymore? Every new product they introduce seems to have some software related quirk to it.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    there is also an issue with using the trackpad with bootcamp!
  • Reply 12 of 31
    My mbp has all sorts of issues with it including the falling screen.

What's worse is that the screen on its lowest setting is bright enough to illuminate the room keeping my gf from sleeping if I'm reading in bed, not to mention that it's too bright to read.

Furthermore, has anyone noticed how much louder the keyboard is? The trackpad's click is loud and could wake anyone up and the keys are more clankity than anything I've ever seen from Apple.

I'm sorta considering sending this one back and waiting for v2 or 3.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    robb01robb01 Posts: 148member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bayareamacaddict View Post

Hopefully they will address that soon

• Reply 14 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bayareamacaddict View Post

Yeah, right-clicking in Boot Camp doesn't work for me... via multi-touch. But it DOES work in VM Ware.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Apparently, it's meant to be like that. They designed it to be less stiff. If you don't like it, I guess you need to get a plastic MacBook, a second-hand Mac or a laptop from a different manufacturer.

The aluminum MacBooks are fine too... the screen is lighter and mine has a very stiff feel to it.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I'm on my third day with my new Macbook Pro and I'm not seeing any issue with screen looseness. It seems fin at any angle. Maybe this is isolated to earlier builds?

As for the trackpad, I'm really happy with it so far. clicking it feels as natural as it did with my previous Macbook. I haven't noticed much in the way of missed clicks yet but if it's something that can be fixed in software rather than faulty hardware then I'm not all that worried.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

Yeah, right-clicking in Boot Camp doesn't work for me... via multi-touch. But it DOES work in VM Ware.

I'm not surprised. With VM ware, it goes through Mac OS X first and the software carries that over to the windows environment.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    I just got the new macbook and think it's a downgrade compared to the trackpad to my wife's first gen macbook air. I don't like touch clicking - and the clicking the entire pad is simply way too heavy - it kills my hand in minutes not to mention the noise! I am probably going to open up the thing and try and lessen the click force and decrease the noise - this is a *serious* problem for me and I've been using apple laptops for 10 years! I want to keep this computer but if I can't use it....

Apple please give us a better trackpad option *with a button* and TEST it with people before you ship! I appreciate the innovation but ideas don't always work in practice. Oh and I like a right click button - who cares if it causes apple to admit defeat and swallow it's pride - it is the defacto standard and all programs need it!
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by borki View Post

My mbp has all sorts of issues with it including the falling screen.

What's worse is that the screen on its lowest setting is bright enough to illuminate the room keeping my gf from sleeping if I'm reading in bed, not to mention that it's too bright to read.

Furthermore, has anyone noticed how much louder the keyboard is? The trackpad's click is loud and could wake anyone up and the keys are more clankity than anything I've ever seen from Apple.

I'm sorta considering sending this one back and waiting for v2 or 3.

My MacBook Pro has been working pretty good, it's the 2.4GHz one.

No trackpad click issue, in fact I'm head over heals for this new trackpad.

I isn't that Apple doesn't test, it's that manufacturers, even in the same board design, might use slightly different parts among factories or even within different time frames. Those variations in things like a transistor or resister can sometimes cause little quirks in the drivers & how they communicate with the hardware. Apple is likely updating drivers to deal with irregularities in some of the hardware to try & help reign in those variations.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 21yr_mac_user View Post

Apple please give us a better trackpad option *with a button* and TEST it with people before you ship! I appreciate the innovation but ideas don't always work in practice. Oh and I like a right click button - who cares if it causes apple to admit defeat and swallow it's pride - it is the defacto standard and all programs need it!

This appears to be yet another case of form over function. The Mighty Mouse suffers from the same thing- Apple couldn't stand to see a left or right click and also gave it that tiny scroll dust ball which constantly clogs up. Apple appears lately totally obssessed with a "less is more" and "thinness" dogma in looks and therefore compromising performance in the end game.

Hopefully it all works out for the best with these pads.