iPhone 2.2 screenshots reveal direct podcast download interface

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A series of screenshots from Apple's latest iPhone 2.2 beta have leaked on the web, revealing a new interface for downloading podcasts over wireless networks and a more polished version of the handset's App Store application.

Direct Podcast Downloads

The screenshots, published by the German-langue blog Flo's Weblog, appear to confirm reports that the next software update for the iPhone will allow users to grab podcasts from the mobile iTunes Store over the handset's 3G connection.

A report published late last month had suggested this would be the case, but the feature was said to be non-functional at the time. The series of screenshots, republished below, reveals the interface flow for direct podcast downloads.

According to the report, Apple will initially limit direct downloads to podcasts 10MB in size or less. It's unclear, however, whether the feature will be restricted to iPhones on a 3G connection or if downloads can also be performed over an EDGE network.

App Store Categories

In addition, the same report tosses in a screen captures that reveals upcoming interface change to the App Store application that's expected to ship as part of iPhone Software 2.2.

The change, first detailed by AppleInsider back in September, is rather uneventful, consisting of a new categories home page that will feature large category icons and more generous spacing between each listing, rather than just narrow textual category representations.

Unlike builds of the software available in September, the latest betas reveal the new icons Apple may have chosen to use for its category listing (though they appear to be icons for third-party Apps at present). Previously, blank placeholders would display.

iPhone Software v2.1 (left) compared to iPhone Software v2.2 (right).

Expected iPhone 2.2 features

Readers looking to keep up on changes due as part of iPhone Software 2.2 can do so by reviewing AppleInsider's iPhone Software 2.2 topics page (RSS also available), which groups together all previous reports on the subject. A general list of feature additions are as follows:

Safari interface tweaks with relocated Google search

New App Store app with new categories interface, and "report a problem" feature

Auto-correction toggle and Japanese Emoji icons

Google Street View, transit and walking directions

Direct podcast downloads

Wow. Direct podcast downloads. Hmmmmm...... This has been avail on other phones for quite some time. Leave it to Apple to make something old, appear as something new and the faithful to jump on the bandwagon. Also, only 10 megs via GSM/3G? What if I have unlimited data and do not care if the podcast is 300 megs like many video podcasts are. So again Apple is thinking for me and determining what is best.
  • Reply 22 of 72
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

I guess Apple doesn't give a crap about Safari crashing constantly. It's the worst app on the iPhone right now.

While it does rarely crash here (and push is working just fine) - there is an easy fix for that. Just install the New York Times application and Safari will no longer be the worst.
  • Reply 23 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Does Safari crash on the iPod Touch as well. Is this a 3G thing only?

it DOES crash on my touch as well, unfortunately. especially with several pages open and heavy javascript
  • Reply 24 of 72
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cozagada View Post

it DOES crash on my touch as well, unfortunately. especially with several pages open and heavy javascript

Heavy javascript, no flash- really WTF?

Is there a Firefox app available or won't Apple let it?
  • Reply 25 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

It's a pretty useless feature if it's limited to 10MB OTA. None of the podcasts I listen to are under 30MB an episode.

Plenty of WiFi hotspots around. I'm not surprised they're trying to limit the amount of traffic on the 3G network. Just being able to sync over wifi without my laptop is going to be a huge benefit, and the lack of that ability was my first gripe when I bought the iPhone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

So why did the screen shots blur out the network being used? What's the big deal about hiding the network?

Could have something to do with hiding where the screenshots came from, as they'd be a voilation of the NDA. Seeing the network might help narrow down the source...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Turbo View Post

Try doing a reset. My phone frequently gets to the point where Safari crashes EVERY TIME I use it. I got an error message on another app (can't remember which one) which said something like memory running low, press and hold power button to reset. Seemed to help the Safari situation too.

Lots of intensive applications make that recommendation. You can also do a reset by going to Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings.
  • Reply 26 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by genericposts View Post

Wow. Direct podcast downloads. Hmmmmm...... This has been avail on other phones for quite some time. Leave it to Apple to make something old, appear as something new and the faithful to jump on the bandwagon. Also, only 10 megs via GSM/3G? What if I have unlimited data and do not care if the podcast is 300 megs like many video podcasts are. So again Apple is thinking for me and determining what is best.

Might be that Apple is taking into consideration the limited amount of 3G bandwidth available on the carriers' networks. As I'm sure many others here will suggest, if you're not happy with the lack of features available on the iPhone, go buy another phone that does what you want. I accept that other phones have many features the iPhone doesn't have, but none of them have so far given me the experience the iPhone has, not have any been as stable. Safari may crash sometimes, but at least I don't have a stupid Windows Smartphone anymore; I literally had to reboot the thing twice a day just to make phone calls. It did have copy and paste though... It worked great--during those brief moments the OS wasn't crashing.
  • Reply 27 of 72
    Ok, nice new features, but what about... sync-ed notes and to-do lists
  • Reply 28 of 72
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Hehehe...The whiners are here again, who the heck buys a phone without features they want and then complains about it daily. I doubt some of you even have the phone. Apple should add copy and paste, people will line up to buy the phone if they do, every other feature they add is useless because there is no copy and paste.
  • Reply 29 of 72
    Meanwhile the iPhone has just been named the phone with the highest satisfaction ratings for business despite having no features.
  • Reply 30 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

Might be that Apple is taking into consideration the limited amount of 3G bandwidth available on the carriers' networks. As I'm sure many others here will suggest, if you're not happy with the lack of features available on the iPhone, go buy another phone that does what you want. I accept that other phones have many features the iPhone doesn't have, but none of them have so far given me the experience the iPhone has, not have any been as stable. Safari may crash sometimes, but at least I don't have a stupid Windows Smartphone anymore; I literally had to reboot the thing twice a day just to make phone calls. It did have copy and paste though... It worked great--during those brief moments the OS wasn't crashing.

You have a good point but the issue that I am complaining about are not anything new. I could understand your "Apple is taking....." comment if you were talking only about the US where the networks are crap, however around the world there are many networks that are more than capable of handling high subscriber usage. How long is this weak argument going to play out? The iPhone will be in its 5th or 6th generation with people still apologizing for the sad state of affairs.

As for the iPhone it is far from stable. It hangs, crashes, slows down, etc.... Safari is simply a joke.

I can agree with you about Windwos Mobile. It was and is terrible.
  • Reply 31 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Meanwhile the iPhone has just been named the phone with the highest satisfaction ratings for business despite having no features.

There is no accounting for low expectations or a lack of knowledge, but considering that this was a study of only State side individuals, the results fit the survey.
  • Reply 32 of 72
    Any clue whether Apple will provide encryption of data on the iPhone as well as encrypted emails with Exchange? This is really important to get iPhones into enterprises.
  • Reply 33 of 72
    Quote:

There is no accounting for low expectations or a lack of knowledge, but considering that this was a study of only State side individuals, the results fit the survey.

Come on dude you can come up with something better than that lame ass rebutal.
  • Reply 34 of 72
    AT&T states iphone tethering is coming soon.
  • Reply 35 of 72
    Quote:

Come on dude you can come up with something better than that lame ass rebutal.

The truth needs no rebuttal. If the only source used were North American users then the results fit the survey. Take a larger sampling and get a wider prospective then you might be on to something. Fact remains, low expectations are part and parcel with many iPhone users.
  • Reply 36 of 72
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

AT&T states iphone tethering is coming soon.

I figure it'll be at a $30. month increased rate to match their 3G USB and EC card monthly rates.

I wonder if it'll be as fast as those cards and if it'll use WiFi to relay the data or allow you to do it more efficiency by plugging in your iPhone via the 30-pin connector.
  • Reply 37 of 72
    Quote:

The truth needs no rebuttal. If the only source used were North American users then the results fit the survey. Take a larger sampling and get a wider prospective then you might be on to something. Fact remains, low expectations are part and parcel with many iPhone users.

So now its because they had low expectations of the device, what about the blackberry users they surveyed, come up with something better, you getting real desperate, but I guess your anti iPhone stance is clouding your judgement.
  • Reply 38 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I figure it'll be at a $30. month increased rate to match their 3G USB and EC card monthly rates.

I wonder if it'll be as fast as those cards and if it'll use WiFi to relay the data or allow you to do it more efficiency by plugging in your iPhone via the 30-pin connector.

This would be a great idea. Hopefully they implement this and not have some other "Apple way" that is eff'd up but supposed to benefit the user.
  • Reply 39 of 72
    Quote:

So now its because they had low expectations of the device, what about the blackberry users they surveyed, come up with something better, you getting real desperate, but I guess your anti iPhone stance is clouding your judgement.

How about posting this magical survey so I can pick it and you apart. As for my anti-iPhone stance. Just because I do not live in Steve Jobs pants does not mean that I am anti-iPhone. I am anti-selling BS and passing it off as manna from heaven. Apparently you have no problem drinking the Kool-Aid.
  • Reply 40 of 72
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Does Safari crash on the iPod Touch as well. Is this a 3G thing only?

It doesn't on mine ? for what that's worth.

Skip