Apple releases Safari 3.2 with phishing protection

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday afternoon released Safari 3.2, a recommended update for all Safari users that delivers protection from fraudulent phishing websites and better identification of online businesses.



The update also includes the latest security fixes.



Download Links



Users of the Apple web browser can download the new version through the Software Update application available on their Mac (under the Apple menu) or PC.



Safari 3.2 for Mac OS X 10.5.5 Leopard [39MB]



Safari 3.2 for Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger [25.7MB]



Safari 3.2 for Â*Windows XP or Vista [19MB]



Background



Apple briefly included anti-phishing measures in builds of Safari 3.0 that were originally included with tests seeds of the now released Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard operating system back in October of 2006. When Leopard hit the market last fall, it quickly became apparent that those features had been pulled.



Earlier this year, e-commerce sites such as PayPal said they would consider blocking the use of any web browser that didn't provided added validation measures, which would have potentially restricted the use of Safari with those services.
«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Apple on Thursday afternoon released Safari 3.2, a recommended update for all Safari users that delivers protection from fraudulent phishing websites and better identification of online businesses....



    Anyone got a URL that could be used to test the feature?
  • Reply 2 of 61
    Does that mean that Safari Version 4 Developer Preview (5526.11.2) should be replaced?
  • Reply 3 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post


    Anyone got a URL that could be used to test the feature?



    http://chaseonline.chase.com.ssl.com.kg/
  • Reply 4 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post


    Anyone got a URL that could be used to test the feature?



    Just type in 'Phishing Test' into Google. There are plenty of options.



    However, I can't get any of them to work. On top of that, Acid3 is still at 75/100 and it causes crashes when running WebKit within it or using extensions, so I don't recommend it for all users.



    I'm going back to Safari 4, which doesn't have the phishing option added yet.
  • Reply 5 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by J@ffa View Post


    http://chaseonline.chase.com.ssl.com.kg/



    That one was blocked correctly. I guess they aren't using Google's or Mozilla's DB on phishing sites.
  • Reply 6 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    That one was blocked correctly. I guess they aren't using Google's or Mozilla's DB on phishing sites.



    Are you sure? The links on the phishing warning all lead to Google.
  • Reply 7 of 61
    i386i386 Posts: 91member
    Big wow, so what, I'll stick with Firefox 3, thanks
  • Reply 8 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Just type in 'Phishing Test' into Google. There are plenty of options.



    However, I can't get any of them to work. On top of that, Acid3 is still at 75/100 and it causes crashes when running WebKit within it or using extensions, so I don't recommend it for all users.



    I'm going back to Safari 4, which doesn't have the phishing option added yet.



    Phishing site test worked for me, no crashes with extensions either. (does only get 75 on Acid 3 though)



    Possibly all the goofing around with WebKit you do has left you with a non-standard set of components relative to the average user.
  • Reply 9 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post


    Are you sure? The links on the phishing warning all lead to Google.



    Not at all. I assumed that this site would also be in Google's phishing DB, but it does clearly say Firefox on the page.
  • Reply 10 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post


    Possibly all the goofing around with WebKit you do has left you with a non-standard set of components relative to the average user.



    WebKit is a separate app. It just calls the Safari Libraries when launched. You can still launch your verision of Safari alongside it just fine. As for extensions, that would depend on the extention. It seems Glims is causing crashes with the new build.
  • Reply 11 of 61
    WebKit piggybacks off Safari. So it's entirely possible to get all the Safari 4 goodness *and* the new anti-phishing feature.



    So...yes, it's possible to score 100% on Acid3 *and* get protection from fake Chase sites.
  • Reply 12 of 61
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,369member
    I just down loaded and did the reboot. I'm wondering if they rolled any of the javascript improvements into this revision or is that still off in the future.



    We security is nice and all but I don't do much on line where that is a problem. What I really want is to see all the new HTML 5 and other improvements go mainstream.



    dave
  • Reply 13 of 61
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Yes, if you installed Safari 3.2, you can still use WebKit nightlies and get the benefit of phishing protection in Safari 3.2.



    Based on the comments above, I'd say that they haven't updated WebKit (significantly) for this release. Maybe we'll have to wait for Snow Leopard for that.
  • Reply 14 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post


    WebKit piggybacks off Safari. So it's entirely possible to get all the Safari 4 goodness *and* the new anti-phishing feature.



    So...yes, it's possible to score 100% on Acid3 *and* get protection from fake Chase sites.



    Yeah, I'm sure a new WebKit will work fine, but you can't use "Safari 4 goodness" and the anti-phishing feature, unless it's a hidden feature in which a PLIST edit will enable it. Though I'm sure the next Safari 4 beta will have added it, so no worries.
  • Reply 15 of 61
    I've run the upgrade twice now, once from Software Update and then as a download and each time I reboot and... Still have Safari 3.0.4. Anyone else having this problem?
  • Reply 16 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjuchter View Post


    I've run the upgrade twice now, once from Software Update and then as a download and each time I reboot and... Still have Safari 3.0.4. Anyone else having this problem?



    I did on one machine. Rename Safari to 'Safari 3.0.4' or whatever, then do the update.
  • Reply 17 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I did on one machine. Rename Safari to 'Safari 3.0.4' or whatever, then do the update.



    Still no go. Renamed it to Safari Old, ran the install, and when I came back all I had was Safari Old, same version.



    Doesn't look like I'm meant to upgrade.
  • Reply 18 of 61
    after updating, safari only crashes now.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swim2383 View Post


    after updating, safari only crashes now.



    Uninstall any extensions and plugins that aren't ordained by Apple.
  • Reply 20 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    WebKit is a separate app. It just calls the Safari Libraries when launched. You can still launch your verision of Safari alongside it just fine. As for extensions, that would depend on the extention. It seems Glims is causing crashes with the new build.



    that's pretty much exactly what I was (poorly) trying to say.
Sign In or Register to comment.