Apple releases fix for quirky MacBook glass trackpads

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple has released a software update to address an issue where trackpad clicks would randomly go unrecognized on its latest notebook offerings: the MacBook (Late 2008) and MacBook Pro (Late 2008).

"This firmware update addresses an issue where trackpad clicks may not be recognized on MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008) and MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2008) computers," the company said.

Installing the update

You can download and install the update from the Software Update mechanism built into Mac OS X.

Alternatively, you can download the update manually and follow a two part process: installing the firmware update [Download - 923KB] application onto your hard drive and using the firmware update application to update your trackpad's firmware.

Installing the update manually

Ensure that your computer is plugged into an AC power source before you start. Then:

Close any open applications.

Download the MacBook, MacBook Pro Trackpad Firmware Update 1.0. The download will place a disk image that contains an installer onto your desktop. If you downloaded the update via Safari, Safari will notify you that an application is contained in the image. Click OK to continue.

If "Open safe files after downloading" is checked in Safari preferences, the disk image file will mount by itself. If that preference is not enabled in Safari, double-click the disk image to mount it.

Double-click the trackpad firmware update disk image to open it.

Double-click the TrackpadFirmwareUpdate.pkg file.

Read the introduction, then click Continue.

After reading the licensing agreement, click Continue.

To agree to its terms, click Agree.

Click Install to install the update application in /Applications/Utilities.

You will be asked for your administrator password. Enter the password and click OK.

After the software is successfully installed on your hard drive, an Installation Completed Successfully message appears. Click Close to start the updater application.

Read the onscreen firmware update installation instructions, then click Update to proceed. Note: The firmware update application may appear behind the installation window.

You will be asked again for you administrator password. Enter the password and click OK. A progress bar will appear while the update is being applied. The trackpad will not respond during the update. Do not interrupt the update or shut off power on your computer while the update is in progress.

When the update is complete, you will see "The update completed successfully" in the Status field of the updater application. Click Quit.

Once you've completed the above steps, your trackpad should be updated. You do not need to restart to recognize the benefits of the update.

AppleInsider readers are encouraged to report on their experiences with the update in the forum thread for this article.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Got mine via software update, much easier.

Not had a missed click at since I installed it.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Update went smooth as silk
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Update went smoothly. FWIW, it never asked me to close any open apps and it still installed successfully. Clicking has been fine since installation.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    foobarfoobar Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cccpr View Post

FWIW, it never asked me to close any open apps and it still installed successfully.

That's just a precaution suggested by the author. In the worst case another application could crash the Mac and leave the update half-done. That would be bad.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    No issues with the patch at all - now if they would only fix the damn external display bug this will pretty much be a perfect Mac..
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Any hopes for a software update to fix the extreme loudness of the trackpad when clicking? LOL.

Advice: Don't use this trackpad in a quiet room, you might wake people up or induce an arrhythmia.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Oh sweet! Worked like a charm. No more missed clicks. I can finally go back to my usual style of using the trackpad (move cursor with forefinger, click with my thumb).
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Most extensive user guide for installing EVER.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Physical clicking and tap to click are significantly better with the update.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    I love my new MacBook except the trackpad was driving me batty. It would register clicks about 1/2 the time at best. The cursor would freeze. I usually couldn't select text successfully.

The firmware update went well and seems to have fixed all of those problems though the cursor freeze one was rare enough that it will take a day or two to be completely sure. But so far so good.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    I see a butchered, copy-pasted Technical Support article with just enough changes to disguise its origins. What happened, AppleInsider? Couldn't get the link tag working?
  • Reply 12 of 25
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdfisher View Post

I see a butchered, copy-pasted Technical Support article with just enough changes to disguise its origins. What happened, AppleInsider? Couldn't get the link tag working?

Haven't you noticed thats what AppleInsider often does? Takes press releases and sticks random parts in quote marks...

This is Web 2.0 journalism!
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

Haven't you noticed thats what AppleInsider often does? Takes press releases and sticks random parts in quote marks...

This is Web 2.0 journalism!

To be honest, I gave up on AppleInsider for a long time over crap like this. I've only recently started reading again, because I find some of AI's unique content interesting. But copy-pasting a support article at the expense of providing a link to it is not just plagiarism or lazy, but actively asinine.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Trackpad works much better after the update. Much better performance. Nice Job Apple!
  • Reply 15 of 25
    So far so good. Update crashed on first attempt, actually had to hard power off the laptop because it wouldn't software re-start. After I re-booted however, the update went flawlessly and the glasspad is much more responsive on clicks. Haven't missed one yet. Small sample size, but it does feel much more responsive.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Namdnal Siroj View Post

Most extensive user guide for installing EVER.

I was thinking the same thing. Lift your right index finger, click the button, go for tea, wash your hands LOL.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    It seems that my old habit of laying my thumbs on the trackpad, what used to be the mouse button, is enabled again.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    News flash! One of the most valued features of the Mac has once again returned -- usability. LOL. What good is all that shiny glass and aluminum if you can't even use the thing right? I'm one of your biggest fans, Apple. But please, stop complicating things so much to the point that they become issues. And I would like to make a gentle suggestion that you work on the quality and testing of your products before launch. I don't recall my Performa 475 ever not being able to register clicks -- and it was large, beige and made of plastic.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    I agree with your comment about testing before releasing - this annoying little problem was noticeable within 5 minutes of playing with my new MB.

But... now it's all fixed and I can't believe how perfectly it works - the glass feels even more silky smooth than before!

P
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Hmmm, PoS with a glitchy trackpad, PoS without a glitchy trackpad.

Just another example of the inferiority of a device that is nothing new, no innovation.

Remind me again of how many problems are showing up with this latest wave of Apple garbage?

Oh, and copy/paste FTW!