New Iphone pro dimensions

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    thttht Posts: 5,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

3x5 inches is too large for people to actually carry around in their pockets. (especially when it is a rigid object)

This design quandary is old-hat for the field of human factors. It is well understood already, both theoretically and from empirical data, the size and shape of objects that people are willing to tote around on a daily basis. New technology will not change the design constraints since they are human in origin, not a technological shortcoming.

The exact size is certainly up for debate, but 3x5 is definitely too big. Only a minuscule percentage of people are found carrying such objects around.

Another factor to consider is that at a certain size, one hand usage becomes less prevalent.

I suppose you could throw belt mounted or purse contained into the mix... but for pockets, 3x5 is too big.

Well, I did say it was about the biggest it can be, it won't be a volume seller, and it would be an iPhone "pro".

Obviously, I think about 2" x <4", typical cellphone size, is the most usable size for a pocketable device, but that's also too small for smartphone goodness or something more useful such as an iPhone "pro" would imply (PDA). Also mind that, several millions of users have been using Palm PDAs or PocketPCs in the past. I whip out my Palm IIIxe from my desk, and it measures 3.25" x 4.75". I had that in my back pocket for almost 7 years. Considering the failure of PDA devices, the market is limited here and was actually over saturated by Palm/PPC, and then shrunk after smartphones came out.

So, if Apple does make one, I think they'd know it would be a limited market device like the iPod classic is. But the point of such a device would be to provide a halo device (would make cheaper iPhone's more attractive) and maybe profit margin.

I do think the 3.5" screen now has to live on. Maybe they can shrink it 3.3", but they have to keep 480x320 due to the 3rd party community. The only other way is to shrink the width of the iPhone or iPod touch is reducing the bezels. Hopefully they'll do it. The iPod nano is reaching the end of the line and the iPhone needs a cheaper version. So shrinking the bezels, and maybe reducing the screen size slightly (3.3"?) would be the best option.

And I'd love to see an iPhone in the current 4.5 x 2.4 planform increase screen size to 3.8" or 4".
  • Reply 22 of 74
    Those dimensions = no.

A slightly longer, wider, but more importantly, noticably thicker iPhone would net the screen and storage we all want.

5.25"x2.75"x.75" would be the largest concievable "phone" in todays market.
  • Reply 23 of 74
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

Well, I did say it was about the biggest it can be, it won't be a volume seller, and it would be an iPhone "pro".

Obviously, I think about 2" x <4", typical cellphone size, is the most usable size for a pocketable device, but that's also too small for smartphone goodness or something more useful such as an iPhone "pro" would imply (PDA). Also mind that, several millions of users have been using Palm PDAs or PocketPCs in the past. I whip out my Palm IIIxe from my desk, and it measures 3.25" x 4.75". I had that in my back pocket for almost 7 years. Considering the failure of PDA devices, the market is limited here and was actually over saturated by Palm/PPC, and then shrunk after smartphones came out.

So, if Apple does make one, I think they'd know it would be a limited market device like the iPod classic is. But the point of such a device would be to provide a halo device (would make cheaper iPhone's more attractive) and maybe profit margin.

I do think the 3.5" screen now has to live on. Maybe they can shrink it 3.3", but they have to keep 480x320 due to the 3rd party community. The only other way is to shrink the width of the iPhone or iPod touch is reducing the bezels. Hopefully they'll do it. The iPod nano is reaching the end of the line and the iPhone needs a cheaper version. So shrinking the bezels, and maybe reducing the screen size slightly (3.3"?) would be the best option.

And I'd love to see an iPhone in the current 4.5 x 2.4 planform increase screen size to 3.8" or 4".

Thanks for the level headed reply. I realized after re-reading my post, that it was a bit dismissive and perhaps even condescending. It is commendable you argued the facts rather than being antagonized by my tone.

I still think that us geeks overestimate the size of device which people are willing to tote around. But for sure, the exact size limitations are debatable.

On a slightly different note, how are people carrying around rigid objects in their back pockets. Doesn't it make sitting uncomfortable and possibly damaging to the device? An office worker has such considerations but are there other professions where sitting is so uncommon that the back pocket is the preferred place for carrying a phone? If so, do you often sit on the device accidently, have to get up, and remove it from the back pocket?
  • Reply 24 of 74
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.asad View Post

Those dimensions = no.

A slightly longer, wider, but more importantly, noticably thicker iPhone would net the screen and storage we all want.

5.25"x2.75"x.75" would be the largest concievable "phone" in todays market.

The thing I object to is your position that a thicker device is called for. That is far from the case as a larger area immediately offers up benefits for both the battery and the electronics. A bigger PC board means more flash space and likewise a bigger battery means more amp hours. None of these components need to be thicker than what is common with the current hardware.

In fact if Apple went OLED and managed a few other "upgrades" they might even end up with a thinner device. notably that thinner device would require a stiffer frame but we are clearly seeing that Apple is very handy addressing the case issues of today.

Dave
  • Reply 25 of 74
    Quote:

I still think that us geeks overestimate the size of device which people are willing to tote around. But for sure, the exact size limitations are debatable.

Well, it depends on how large of market one wants to address! With the iPhone, Apple isn't going for the whole market, rather a relatively small portion of it considering the costs of owning an iPhone ($70 minimum + taxes per month in the USA). And it still is a relatively big device.

A prospective iPhone "nano" at <2.2 x <4.2" for $100 and a $20/month EDGE plan would be quite interesting to me, in the business sense that is. Actually, I think a $15/month HSDPA plan capped to say 1 GB would be quite interesting to me. This would make it a $55/month + taxes type plan, on top of a $100 device that's a "cell phone" size with all of the capabilities of the current iPhone. I think Apple can ship 10m per quarter with such a device.

The iPhone pro or iPhone max we already know would be fairly limited because of size, weight and cost considerations.

Quote:

On a slightly different note, how are people carrying around rigid objects in their back pockets. Doesn't it make sitting uncomfortable and possibly damaging to the device? An office worker has such considerations but are there other professions where sitting is so uncommon that the back pocket is the preferred place for carrying a phone? If so, do you often sit on the device accidently, have to get up, and remove it from the back pocket?

I took it out of my pocket while sitting. Or one can by a holster. It was an inconvenience I got used to, though not really, in an office setting if one tended to use a PDA a lot. For casual clothing, many shorts today have a side pocket designed for a smartphone-sized device.
  • Reply 26 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The thing I object to is your position that a thicker device is called for.

Yup. Agree with you on thickness. 0.75" at those dimensions would be monstrous for one's pockets. 0.5" is about the most it should be for something 2.75" x 5.25". Maybe 0.6". If the device is 2" x 4.4", I think thickness can grow to 0.6", maybe 0.75".
  • Reply 27 of 74
    Quote:

Yup. Agree with you on thickness. 0.75" at those dimensions would be monstrous for one's pockets. 0.5" is about the most it should be for something 2.75" x 5.25". Maybe 0.6". If the device is 2" x 4.4", I think thickness can grow to 0.6", maybe 0.75".

I'd like to see Apple shoot for no more than a 1/4 inch. The iPhone isn't bad but they really need to look at thin as being the overwhelmingly most important parameter. Especially as devices get bigger in other dimensions. The iPhone is currently 0.48" thick overall or 12.3 mm, even if Apple could drop that to 8 mm it would be a huge improvement. The biggest problem with this is that Apples choices for built in cameras slims down considerably.

Is it possible with todays technology? I believe it is with the right push. One has to remember that even the 3G is basically running first generation hardware from Apple. Innovate a bit with respect to how they build the device and a slimmer iphone could easily be had.

Dave
  • Reply 28 of 74
    my alltel contract is up in January so this is perfect timing if they do an upgrade at macworld.

Just keeping my fingers crossed that they will be one because I can not wait til june.
  • Reply 29 of 74
    Quote:

I'd like to see Apple shoot for no more than a 1/4 inch. The iPhone isn't bad but they really need to look at thin as being the overwhelmingly most important parameter. Especially as devices get bigger in other dimensions. The iPhone is currently 0.48" thick overall or 12.3 mm, even if Apple could drop that to 8 mm it would be a huge improvement. The biggest problem with this is that Apples choices for built in cameras slims down considerably.

I guess I'm fairly indifferent about it. I tend to think it could be too thin at 1/4" (a smidgen over 6 mm), but one can actually check that out by holding an iPod touch to one's ear to find out how comfortable it would be.

Off hand remark, I would think screen size would be the overwhelmingly most important parameter. They really have to thin down those bezels on the side. I think the current iPhone 3G and G2 iPod touch have some disconcertingly large bezels. Hopefully that's a sign they are going to increase screen size.
  • Reply 30 of 74
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

I see so many people now adays talking into thin air that I wonder at times if I missed the mall and ended up in a mental hospital. Even the talking to ghosts wouldn't be that bad buT these people are so detached that they run right into you or trip over a flower pot.

They belong in a mental hospital.
  • Reply 31 of 74
    Quote:

I guess I'm fairly indifferent about it. I tend to think it could be too thin at 1/4" (a smidgen over 6 mm), but one can actually check that out by holding an iPod touch to one's ear to find out how comfortable it would be.

Off hand remark, I would think screen size would be the overwhelmingly most important parameter. They really have to thin down those bezels on the side. I think the current iPhone 3G and G2 iPod touch have some disconcertingly large bezels. Hopefully that's a sign they are going to increase screen size.

Yep screen size is the number one issue but thickness is a extremely close second. The rational is fairly simple, one needs to maintain portability. The fact is a thin device will go easily into many more pockets than a thick. That may sound simplistic but it is the way many portable devices get evaluated.

As to the bezel you are right there Apple could deliver to us a significantly large screen without blowing out the size of the iPhone. With a little redesign Apple could add an inch and get maybe an inch and half wider screen. It is a simple matter of a smaller home button and repositioning the speaker. What people need to realize is what all those extra pixels will do for people. The screen is the information delivery surface and pixels equate to information.

Dave
  • Reply 32 of 74
    Keep the form factor.

- Lose the button

- Extend screen size edge-to-edge with zero or 1mm bezel. !!!! (We want!)

- 50% faster CPU, double the RAM

- increase battery life by 50%

- add mini USB plug on the side for charging and sync.

That will do, perfect.
  • Reply 33 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nano2Gfteo View Post

Keep the form factor.

- Lose the button

- Extend screen size edge-to-edge with zero or 1mm bezel. !!!! (We want!)

- 50% faster CPU, double the RAM

- increase battery life by 50%

- add mini USB plug on the side for charging and sync.

That will do, perfect.

Hmm...

Don't agree on the button.

Thinner bezels and bigger screens FTW!

I'm more curious if it is going to be Apple designed SoC (PA Semi stuff): multi-core, GPU, dedicated H.264/AAC, HSPA baseband, and lots of I/O all on the same chip?

+50% battery life, probably not. They are going for 5 hrs talk time, browsing and video. Whatever battery gets that is what they'll use.

I'm fine with the iPod connector. Lots of pluses there.

There are also a hundred other features, many of which who knows Apple would do.
  • Reply 34 of 74
    Btw, you can go to iLounge and check out iPhone mockups. It was a contest they did before the iPhone 3G came out. Obviously, we don't have original ideas.

• Reply 35 of 74
    Quote:

3x5 inches is too large for people to actually carry around in their pockets. (especially when it is a rigid object)

For fully grown men this is an every day issue! It becomes a bigger problem when rigid.

The point is this is not a device for somebody with girly pockets or an aversion to suit coats. It is a device to serve the needs of people with substantial influence in the community. It is the " Big Dog " iPhone!

Quote:

This design quandary is old-hat for the field of human factors. It is well understood already, both theoretically and from empirical data, the size and shape of objects that people are willing to tote around on a daily basis.

Research no doubt done by a bunch of elves, greens or other wise small stature people. This sort of research is basically useless as it always reflects the personal biases of the researcher.

It can be likened to the green community that is almost universally made up of small stature people out to force cars suitable to them on everybody. The reality is that somebody that is 5 feet tall and 98 pounds will fit into more automobiles than somebody that is 6 feet 4 inches a 270 pounds. Likewise with phones, if your hands are in proportion to your size 15 feet many cell phones simply end up being to small to easily use!

The reality is there is a limited range where human factors research is applicable. Outside these ranges you need to consider different hardware to offfer up acceptable user experiences. Apples current approach of only one physical size iPhone will not maintain long term traction simply because on size seldom fits all.

Quote:

New technology will not change the design constraints since they are human in origin, not a technological shortcoming.

This is so wrong as to be an embarassment to humanity. Having only one size iPhone is an artificial constraint in and of itself. I look at it this way I work every day with people that range in size from a skinny 4'11" to well over 6'6 ' what is suitable for one person based on human factors is not even close to that suitable for the other. The fact is that physically we are all individuals.

This doesn't even take into account the block of gray matter sitting at the top of the neck. Each and everyone of us has his own personal preferences and tolerances. That 4'11" woman might drive an SUV for her own personal reasons even is some green creep thinks it is more than she should be driving.

Quote:

The exact size is certainly up for debate, but 3x5 is definitely too big. Only a minuscule percentage of people are found carrying such objects around.

That is why I make reference to things people do carry arround like check books. But the same thing could be said for day timers and other organizers from the past. One should not forget that the iPhone effectively replaces many of these devices. I can make a very good arguement that an iPhone makes for more room in your pockets rather than less so a larger device is not a problem.

Quote:

Another factor to consider is that at a certain size, one hand usage becomes less prevalent.

This I totally agree with and is why I think full size tablets from Apple will have trouble in the marketplace. Portability is a key parameter with such devices.

Quote:

I suppose you could throw belt mounted or purse contained into the mix... but for pockets, 3x5 is too big.

Again it depends upon who's pockets you are talking about. For many a properly thin device would slip into a pants pocket or suit jacket pocket just fine. Dressed for success this size is no problem at all.

Speaking of belt clips these are nothing new even for much smaller devices. So such really are a problem for the bikinl set. Weight might be a problem and start to tug at that string but I don't see many guys complaining. Cell phones are carried in all sorts of locations on the human body now, I'm not sure why everbody thinks that the iPhone Maxi will be constrained to pockets that are to small.

The whole point of maxi is to realize a larger screen in a device that is still portable on the human body. The larger screen to simply make for a more usable device thus higher user satisfaction. It is not about forcing the device onto a class of users that don't want it. Rather it is a case of Apple making available a device that delivers the content that the modern age of computing demands.

Actually the use of the word computting above isn't optimal. The reality is that a larger IPhone has the potential of replacing many communications devices. A future iPhone could easily replace a line based phone, a cell phone, newspapers, magazines and even the conventional mail service. Frankly for me the current IPhone is already partially successful here. One can not look to the past to create the ideal iPhone as that will not lead to a break through in the collective mindset of the population.

I look at like this, part of the reason we are in recession right now has nothing to do with the collapse of the housing market. Yeah that was one big component but we as a nation are on the brink of a massive change / upheaval in many traditional fields. One that is obvious is publishing which I suspect will be largely electronic in less than 5 years. Newspapers are being hardest hit now but the economis for the large magazines will demand digital publishing soon. Likewise books are quickly transition to digital.

The major problem of course is that this has very negative impacts on people working in those industries. Still, as long as it remains open, the electronic movement presents a more free and open society. The key though is devices to deliver this technology on. Here Iphone is only a partial solution. There is an issue of screen size but also software.

The software issues come from the need to keep digital publications secure until they are no longer relavant. I'm simply not sure that current web based tech is the way to go. There are several reasons there, for example how would an iPhone download a publication every morning prior to getting up? In fact I'm convinced that iPhone needs multi tasking in order to realize the potential of future services. Or to put it another way PUSH IS A JOKE from what I've seen of it.

In short if you continue to think of IPhones as cell phones you are missing the point.

Dave
  • Reply 36 of 74
    Hi,

Interesting posts regarding gadget size and the human body.

I think the iPhone is the perfect size to fit most hands. A phone has to be a one-hand device to be practical.

The next size up is a two-hand device. This is where I see 10" tablet.

Also, I think Apple would really avoid having something similar. but just bigger. It would complicate things for users and developers. The iPhone/Touch platform is a longterm bet, I hope.

/Daniel
  • Reply 37 of 74
    Quote:

For fully grown men this is an every day issue! It becomes a bigger problem when rigid.

I, like many men, do indeed have a problem with it becoming rigid.

Have you been talking to my girlfriend?
  • Reply 38 of 74
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

This is so wrong as to be an embarassment to humanity. Having only one size iPhone is an artificial constraint in and of itself. I look at it this way I work every day with people that range in size from a skinny 4'11" to well over 6'6 ' what is suitable for one person based on human factors is not even close to that suitable for the other. The fact is that physically we are all individuals.

An impressive post, nearly a manifesto.

Amid lots of other thoughts, your point about one-size-fits-all gadgetry, in respect to various human sizes, was excellent. Perhaps a bit over stated, but still appropriate. At some point in Apple's future, they will likely have a diversified enough of a product line-up, such that offering small/medium/large pocket computers would be reasonable.

My assertion that an optimal size was possible, wasn't intended to imply that we all have our optimal devices yet. But rather that the human body imposes design constraints that won't be changing any time soon. The current size isn't optimal for everyone, but it wasn't for lack of technology or design foresight. Personally, I think they made the right tradeoffs on a device to be used by all sizes of people... but that's comming from an average height individual.
  • Reply 39 of 74
    Quote:

An impressive post, nearly a manifesto.

OK I admit maybe a bit overboard but I'm often frustrated by the one size fits all crowd. Especially the people who feel obligated to insist that I try to squeeze into a sub compact car.

Quote:

Amid lots of other thoughts, your point about one-size-fits-all gadgetry, in respect to various human sizes, was excellent. Perhaps a bit over stated, but still appropriate. At some point in Apple's future, they will likely have a diversified enough of a product line-up, such that offering small/medium/large pocket computers would be reasonable.

Yeah a bit maybe but with reason. I'm reminded of one instance a couple of Halloweens ago when I stop by the local grocery store. Two chicks walked decked out for the night and already lubricated with alcohol. Of course a small crowd developed with the gals willing photo models. One guy handed me his cell to take a few pics and frankly I had issues just operating the thing. One problem was it's size, but the controls where no fun either.

Notably the iPhone isn't much of an improvement here with it's touch screen shutter release. Sometimes old fashion mechanical buttons are hard to beat.

Quote:

My assertion that an optimal size was possible, wasn't intended to imply that we all have our optimal devices yet. But rather that the human body imposes design constraints that won't be changing any time soon. The current size isn't optimal for everyone, but it wasn't for lack of technology or design foresight. Personally, I think they made the right tradeoffs on a device to be used by all sizes of people... but that's comming from an average height individual.

IPhone as sized right now isn't that bad and frankly from the usabilty standpoint is head and shoulders above many of the ultra compact cell phones. What I wanted to get acroos is that people are people and we all have different needs. Apple could easily go both ways size wise and draw even more customers. As I see it Apple is the only smart phone maker going with a one horse show. That will hurt them in the long run.

Dave
  • Reply 40 of 74
    The iTouch Pro, MacTablet, iTablet should be called the iNewton3 because in many ways, we also wanted the Newton features like digital ink scribbles. But no hand writing recognition. That was just a disaster. Although the Newton 2000 was almost passable in use.

As far as technology components, all the parts are really there. Great multi-touch screens that iPhone has. Modify that to allow some form of stylus digital ink sketches (aka Newton like). I don't see it having a phone module but maybe a data module (evdo/hspa) at least allow USB dongles for carrier data.

Oh, check out this concept. Battery base will hinge as a stand when used with the wireless keyboard or in presentation mode. Hinge closed will allow device to be used angled like a wedge. That way it can even be an alarm-clock, whether widget next to the bed and allow quick email checking for those who cannot wait to open the MBA or MBP on the table. On totally mobile use, it can charge the iPhone battery (one way circuit).

So while we do SMS at StarBucks, we can check the football scores on the iNewton3 or watch a game without missing anything. You need iPhone plus iTouch to do this!. Truely needs to be a companion device for iPhone and can manage it tasks standalone as well. Like that ?.

PS: Use PA Semi or ARM CPU not the Atom please.