Mozilla-based iTunes rival "Songbird" takes flight

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
A multi-year effort to deliver an open-source and customizable iTunes rival came to fruition this week with the release of Songbird 1.0, but whether it will sway some users from the Apple jukebox software remains to be seen.

The cross-platform player is available as a free download for Intel-based Macs, Windows and Linux. It's based on the same Gecko rendering engine that drives Mozilla's Firefox browser but comes wrapped in an extensible user interface that could easily be mistaken for iTunes.

Unlike the Apple media software, whose features are governed by the iPod maker and its licensing agreements, Songbird prides itself on extensibility through add-ons that allow you to customize the media player experience through collapsable panels and gain new functionality.

In addition to support for QuickTime playback and a variety of iPods, the inaugural release includes four other add-ons by default. Among them are SHOUTcast radio streaming, Last.fm Scrobbling, and Songkick integration for discovering and acquiring concert tickets related to artists in your library.

Another highly touted add-on is mashTape, which displays Flickr photos, YouTube videos, artist biographies, news items and other web content related to the artist currently playing. Dozens of other add-ons can be downloaded from Songbird's website.

For file formats, Songbird currently supports MP3, FLAC, and Vorbis on all platforms; WMA on Windows; and AAC on Windows and Mac. It's quick to import full iTunes libraries -- including DRM-wrapped tracks -- and maintains their associated metadata. For playback, the software uses the high-performance and open-source GStreamer multimedia framework.

Songbird's user interface was designed to be familiar to Apple iTunes users.

Still, there are a number of limitations and potential roadblocks that may combine to slow adoption of the new player, which also features a built-in web browser.

For example, Songbird 1.0 lacks CD ripping capabilities, and its list of compatible devices omits the most recent generation of iPods and all of Apple's Mac OS-based handhelds, including the iPhone and iPod touch. Zune is also unsupported, though support for all these devices, CD ripping, broader video support, and others are all on the software's roadmap.

A mashTape add-on displays related web content as songs play.

Another big question mark is what, if any, measures Apple will take to prevent Songbird compatibility with its software and media players going forward. The company has recently moved to squash efforts from open-source competitors aiming to develop products compatible with its iPod+iTunes ecosystem.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Awesome! I've been waiting for a nice player for Linux. That is my one bitch about iTunes.

I'm downloading now!
  • Reply 2 of 69
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    i've been using it since yesterday on my Vista machine. Its quite nice indeed. Lots of plug-ins which really make it an extensible product. I've had it stutter a couple of times on tracks though, so I'm not sure what's up with that.

It also appears to play all of my iTunes purchased content...
  • Reply 3 of 69
    It also appears to be a carbon-copy of iTunes. Zero effort to improve or at least be different from iTunes.
  • Reply 4 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

It also appears to be a carbon-copy of iTunes. Zero effort to improve or at least be different from iTunes.

It's 1.0... give it time. When iTunes first started it looked a lot like Sound Jam.

Look at all web browsers... they all look pretty similar from an interface that Netscape started 15 years ago.
  • Reply 5 of 69
    Quote:

Absolutely! Kudos to Monzilla for making an exact copy of iTunes, that must of really taken some major R&D! SongBird?? Worst name ever.
  • Reply 6 of 69
    Let the caged bird sing!!!!!!
  • Reply 7 of 69
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

It's 1.0... give it time. When iTunes first started it looked a lot like Sound Jam.

Do you mean the Sound Jam that Apple bought to turn into iTunes? Is it any surprise that a later revision of a program is reminiscent of a previous version? It's clearly a legitimate reuse of the UI if they bought the rights to the program.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by webhead View Post

Absolutely! Kudos to Monzilla for making an exact copy of iTunes, that must of really taken some major R&D!

Making an app, especially a cross platform app, isn't easy, you can't just push a button and hope it works. I don't know what they were thinking when they put most of the controls and the simulated playback display at the bottom of the window.

Quote:

SongBird?? Worst name ever.

I think it is more creative than putting the same letter in front of half of your product names.
  • Reply 8 of 69
    Don't any of these folks own a compiler that can compile ppc?
  • Reply 9 of 69
    Quote:

well sort of. it's more itunes merged with safari. although I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

probably because Apple bought SoundJam and redeveloped it into iTunes.
  • Reply 10 of 69
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

That depends on your definition of improve. If it's faster, uses less resources, allows me to connect any PMP and still offers the same functionality iTunes without requiring completely relearning the iTunes features I'm used to then I'd call it an improvement.
  • Reply 11 of 69
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

That's not true - it's got the play button at the bottom instead of the top. That's real innovation.
  • Reply 12 of 69
    Still could have innovated it a bit more on the front end. Instead of just buying it and slapping their name on it. See previous comment about web browsers. When something works, most go with that. Look at video players, look at photoshop vs Gimp, look at word processors, look at spreadsheet apps.

OMFG apple could have innovated Numbers more!!!! LOL... it works and that's what people are familiar with. If Songbird came out with a completely different interface that was controversal what are the odds of people moving from iTunes to it? I'd say lower.
  • Reply 13 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

That's not true - it's got the play button at the bottom instead of the top. That's real innovation.

Have you guys even used it yet? Or are you just going off of the screenshots?
  • Reply 14 of 69
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That depends on your definition of improve. If it's faster, uses less resources, allows me to connect any PMP and still offers the same functionality iTunes without requiring completely relearning the iTunes features I'm used to then I'd call it an improvement.

It doesn't do any of those things at this point, except copy the interface.
  • Reply 15 of 69
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    When Mozilla adds CD ripping, I'll have to give this a try. Who doesn't love Mozilla? And, hopefully, Songbird won't be as "sluggish" as iTunes is on the PC (which is the only thing about iTunes that I don't like).
  • Reply 16 of 69
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

It doesn't do any of those things at this point, except copy the interface.

Incorrect. The basic download is quite similar but when you add in these, this is where it all gets better:

http://addons.songbirdnest.com/
  • Reply 17 of 69
    You know. I think you guys need to use this before you start knocking it. In 5 minutes of using it I've already noticed a lot of front end differences. Artist Info, News, Photos, and Videos is awesome. I was playing descendents and it came arcross a TON of cool images. I gotta say the photo idea is really cool.

Videos connects to places like youtube so you can play videos on it. The toolbar has a rating system in it so you don't have to find the song in the playlists / browser to rate the song.

It has a forward and back browser keeping track of your browsing history. I'm really impressed. This is easily the 2nd best player at this point and this is the first release.

Thunder-bird.... song-bird. Meh.
  • Reply 18 of 69
    Quote:

You can move it to the top or bottom.

Quote:

When Mozilla adds CD ripping, I'll have to give this a try. Who doesn't love Mozilla? And, hopefully, Songbird won't be as "sluggish" as iTunes is on the PC (which is the only thing about iTunes that I don't like).

I bet it won't be long till you can import via LAME.

I love how I can browse the web in it as well.

Ok i'm done kissing mozilla's ass for the week. Now back to buggy firefox.
  • Reply 19 of 69
    jon tjon t Posts: 131member
    What is wrong with having a product that does a few things really well? Why do they have to try and do everything and add more and more barely related features?

Seems to me it's like an iTunes on steroids. And maybe I'm not hearing them, but where are all the complaints about iTunes?

Not sure this birdy will fly, perhaps it fits better with Windows users.
  • Reply 20 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jon T View Post

What is wrong with having a product that does a few things really well? Why do they have to try and do everything and add more and more barely related features?

Seems to me it's like an iTunes on steroids. And maybe I'm not hearing them, but where are all the complaints about iTunes?

Not sure this birdy will fly, perhaps it fits better with Windows users.

Firefox got popular for that very reason. IE was a buggy incompatible insecure mess. Songbird will be just like firefox for windows. Windows Media Player is a joke. Songbird is already a welcome replacement for it. And on top of that it works on linux, so it's going to explode into the linux world. Last I checked Linux + Windows marketshare > apple marketshare. I think it will fly just fine.