Over 100 fixes coming in Mac OS X 10.5.6 Update

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I'd like to see the annoying bug I discovered last night taken care of. Of course it may actually be a feature. I moved photos from my MicroSD to the trash and the memory count on the MicroSD didn't move down one bit. Every time I tried to copy a new file to the MicroSD card it said it was full. I had to empty the trash for the memory on the MicroSD card to free-up. That's just plain retarded for the OS to hold that memory hostage like that. The trash and the flash memory need to part-ways in one of these bug fixes.

Its not a bug, its always worked like that. If you delete anything from a removable disk it is kept until you empty the trash unlike windows where anything you delete is gone for good.
  • Reply 62 of 69
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

I said prompt the user. I'm talking MicroSD memory for a camera. Is that so surprising that someone would want to permanently delete from a MicroSD card?

Networked drives are quite a different story from a USB or Firewire attached unit since they use a network protocol like TCP/IP.

Windows at least has the common sense to ask you if you want to delete a file when it is too large for the trash bin, but not necessarily too large for the volume.

In theory, because of some strange ways camera manufacturers implement their flash when they format them, it's not considered to be a good idea to do anything to a camera flash card other than in the camera.

That includes deleting files, adding files, or formatting the card.

That doesn't mean that most of the time there won't be a problem, but it isn't recommended.
  • Reply 63 of 69
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Yes, it was always thus. Same with Windows, ain't it?

Well, yes and no... Windows is dealing with Trashcan/Recycle Bin in a bit different way:

(from Wiki) Prior to Windows Vista, the default configuration of the Recycle Bin was to hold 10% of the total capacity of the host hard disk drive. For example, on a hard drive with a capacity of 20 gigabytes, the Recycle Bin will hold up to 2 gigabytes. If the Recycle Bin fills up to maximum capacity, the oldest files will be deleted in order to accommodate the newly deleted files. If a file is too large for the Recycle Bin, the user will be prompted to permanently delete the file instead. The maximum possible size of the Recycle Bin is 3.99 gigabytes in all versions of Windows except Vista. In Vista, the maximum is 10% for drives up to 40GB. Above that, the maximum is 4GB plus 5% of the capacity above 40GB.

Files in the Recycle Bin are stored in its physical location and renamed as D<original drive letter of file><#>.<original extension>. A hidden file called info2 (info in Windows 95) stores the files' original paths and names. When the user views the Recycle Bin, the files are displayed with their original names. When the file is "Restored" from the Recycle Bin, it is returned to its original directory and name. When the file is "deleted" by emptying the Recycle Bin, the space on the disk used by the file is designated as "free" without any changes being made to the file data itself. Future files will overwrite the data when they are saved on the disk. In other words, the data is not erased, but the address marking the data's existence is.
  • Reply 64 of 69
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

I said prompt the user. I'm talking MicroSD memory for a camera. Is that so surprising that someone would want to permanently delete from a MicroSD card?

Hold down the Cmd- button while dragging and dropping from one drive to another, and it converts from Copy semantics to Move. It will copy the file, then delete the original, just what you want.

Quote:

Windows at least has the common sense to ask you if you want to delete a file when it is too large for the trash bin, but not necessarily too large for the volume.

Why on *EARTH* would a file be 'too large for the trash bin', when all it is is a move on the same drive?!? Sounds like common sense to counteract a broken idea.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Yes, I meant the DS_Store files, and also, I know what they do. Personally, I don't care if my folders look the same next time I open them (I prefer them all to look the same). But, its really annoying when using a central server that Macs and PCs use to see these files in each folder. Yes, there are utilities that do this, but I think Apple should make it an option in their OS under System Prefs: Appearance that way their OS truely does "Play nice with Windows"

In the Terminal: defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true

Reboot.

No more .DS_Store files on networked servers.

Quote:

As for the ._filename, you can thank Spotlight for that as it stores metadata there. Again, an option would be wonderful. But nope... gotta do it the Apple way.

Actually, it's the Finder, not Spotlight, and yes, those are required on filesystems that don't support forks or metadata in some format. How else are you going to do it? :/ The prepended dot at least marks it as invisible by default to most GUI file browsers on Unix systems.
  • Reply 65 of 69
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Actually, it's the Finder, not Spotlight, and yes, those are required on filesystems that don't support forks or metadata in some format. How else are you going to do it? :/ The prepended dot at least marks it as invisible by default to most GUI file browsers on Unix systems.

Right.

From Appledouble @ Wikipedia:

Mac OS X revived the use of AppleDouble; on file systems such as NFS and WebDAV that don't natively support resource forks, Finder information, or extended attributes, that information is stored in AppleDouble format, with the second file having a name generated by prepending "._" to the name of the first file (thus, this information acts a hidden file when viewed from a non-apple Unix-based operating system).
  • Reply 66 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Hold down the Cmd- button while dragging and dropping ...

In the Terminal: defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true

Reboot.

Actually, it's the Finder, not Spotlight, and yes, those are required on filesystems that don't support forks or metadata in some format. How else are you going to do it?

All very good info, thanks!
  • Reply 67 of 69
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

RE 10.6 64 bit, boy am I glad I waited till I did to buy my Mac Pro, I'd be really pissed off if I didn't get all it offerdont oned on such an expensive beast. I pity those who were first to buy Mac Pros. Perhaps the 64 bit support will be coming in 10.6.1 for older Mac Pros? I also wonder if Adobe will quickly release support for it?

64 bit means nothing to most users. Effectively buying a mac pro has nothing to do with 64bit. I have a 8 core and for serious video and graphics work nothing comes close. Adobe is going to be lucky to make a major margin on cs4 so I dont think so. BTW if you own a 8 core mac pro how Are you developing as you say on your website?
  • Reply 68 of 69
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

RE 10.6 64 bit, boy am I glad I waited till I did to buy my Mac Pro, I'd be really pissed off if I didn't get all it offered on such an expensive beast. I pity those who were first to buy Mac Pros. Perhaps the 64 bit support will be coming in 10.6.1 for older Mac Pros? I also wonder if Adobe will quickly release support for it?

Should be glad you have waited because of other reasons. http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...p_of_cuda.html

But if you NEED it now, waiting makes little sense if you can afford it.
  • Reply 69 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Drones of others??? What are you talking about? Why don't you give some examples of which Macs may be affected. I don't have any problems with my Macs staying connected to my wireless router. I don't think anyone else experiences your alleged problems with a wireless network.

Got my new Macbook last week, love it, but the wireless is hopeless, drops outs constantly. I've been using the same router for 2 years with a PC and never had any issues. I've been scouring the web and there are many many more people experiencing the same issues - most people point to 10.5 updates causing it, others have suggested the following work around (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...80305053403936)

Fingers crossed 10.5.6 helps.