Rumor: Apple's iTunes going DRM-free starting Tuesday

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 109
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

But it will be interesting 10 years from now when people with iTunes libraries worth $1,000s die, get divorced, kids go off to college, etc. Today you can split the CD/DVD collection and go your separate ways. How are you going to do that with your iTunes library? iTunes DRM is easy to use, but difficult to pass on as there is no way to transfer ownership. I don't have a problem with this when it comes to music. I don't buy a whole lot on iTunes, and I figure I get my 99 cents worth through repeated listening. But start charging $14.99 per movie (at lower quality that DVD, mind you) and it starts to become an issue if I can't lend, give, or sell it to someone after I've watched it a few times.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DavidW View Post

Well, since you can now authorize up to 5 computers to play your iTunes Store purchased songs (with DRM) I imagine you can just give up an authorized computer (or two) with the songs on them. If it works the way I thinks it works, purchasing an iTune Store song (with DRM) can actually results in 5 copies of those songs. All originals and all can be given away separately on an authorized computer. And the original purchaser (or anyone with access to the account) can de-authorized a computer and authorize another one if one of the computers needs to be replaced. So long as there's no more than 5 computers authorized. So up to 5 people can legally own an iTune purchased album. Where as only one person can legally own an album purchased on a CD.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

The authorization is associated with YOUR AppleID.

Interesting thread but you have all forgot Wiggins initial point, with DRM there is not a way to transfer ownership from one person to another. Your iTunes purchases are tied to your AppleID and will not survive your death or be shared with your ex after a divorce.
  • Reply 102 of 109
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,099member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Interesting thread but you have all forgot Wiggins initial point, with DRM there is not a way to transfer ownership from one person to another. Your iTunes purchases are tied to your AppleID and will not survive your death or be shared with your ex after a divorce.

But if I understand it correctly, you don't have to prove your identity when signing up for an Apple iTunes account. Not if you're going to purchase with gift cards instead of a credit card. So who's going to tell Apple I died. Why can't my wife, son or daughter maintain my account if they know my password. Am I'm also correct to assume that once a computer has been authorized to play my songs, it will play them as long as the computer is still alive. And it doesn't matter if I'm not. My Apple ID is only needed if I want to transfer the songs to another computer or de-authorize one. As long as the computer remains healthy, it should play my music long after I die. Right? It's not like a subscription where the computer has to log into my account every so often in order to keep playing my songs. Even if I close my Apple iTunes account, my music should still play on an authorize computer. My music will only die when all of my authorized computers die. Not when I die or my Apple account no longer exist.

So this bring me back to the question, can you have two accounts in one computer or the same iTunes library. If you can, my wife, son or daughter can just keep playing my music in my iTunes library while still being able to buy and add their songs to it. Without me being around any more.

So theoretically, a digital downloaded song can outlast a song on a CD media. As the physical CD media has a limited life expectancy.

Of course all of this is moot if I just copy my music to disk to remove the DRM.
  • Reply 103 of 109
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

While 256kbps AAC is better than 256kbps MP3, is it better enough to to be worthy of purchasing it over MP3 at an inflated price?.

What price differential are you talking about, 10 cents?

You can also put it like this a 256 AAC is [at least] as good as a 320 MP3, so you are able to put more songs on your mobile music player.
  • Reply 104 of 109
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's the physical computer.

Have you tried it? I'm pretty sure I authorized two accounts on a computer and both authorizations counted against my total.
  • Reply 105 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

What price differential are you talking about, 10 cents?

You can also put it like this a 256 AAC is [at least] as good as a 320 MP3, so you are able to put more songs on your mobile music player.

There are a couple possible monkey wrenches here. One, I'm not so sure the difference is so marked anymore. The CODEC is one piece of the puzzle, the encoders for MP3 have apparently gotten pretty good.

Amazon uses variable bit rate (VBR) encoding, Apple uses constant bit rate (CBR) encoding. VBR allows bits from simpler sections of a track to be reallocated to more complex sections.
  • Reply 106 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Have you tried it? I'm pretty sure I authorized two accounts on a computer and both authorizations counted against my total.

I just tried it for fun... two accounts on the computer authorized to play my Fairplay music results in the use of TWO authorizations.

I believe this explains my missing authorizations... when I replaced a HDD and re-installed OSX, i did not de-authorize iTunes as installed on the old HDD. I'm pretty sure the new OS installation (new HDD) resulted in another "authorized machine" from iTune's/Apple's point of view.
  • Reply 107 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macologist View Post

Here we go again --

Big STARS will fill the arenas, and thus can give away CD's which cost them 50c-$1 to make. With $50-100 ticket prices, it's trivial.

Let them spend tens of thousands on making of a CD, and maybe a FEW of them will ever recoup those costs!

Arenas are for stars, and most all musicians are not stars!

We all leave in the glass houses..., nobody's perfect!, and the bills keep coming! And so, how are the musicians to survive, never mind feed their families, never mind health insurance etc.?!

But, most "civilians" can't relate to the musicians' struggles!!!

if you make shitty music... no one will buy your shitty music! lol....

on the other hand, I have not bought any NEW music from any MAJOR label in years, why, NO good music has been produced by MAJOR lables in the past 10 years.

so untill musicians go back to making music for the love of the art and for the love of music , and not for a source of income, we will continue to see shittier and shittier music being released.

But an old high school buddy just released an awesome Americana folk album, i paid him 25 bucks for the album, when he only wanted 10. i told him i am going to rip the cd and put it on my mp3 player and my girlfriends mp3 player and i will keep the cd locked up.
  • Reply 108 of 109
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I have an account. My wife has an account. My daughter has an account.

Each time we moved to a new machine, we (I!) de-authorized the old one before taking it out of service. At times at least one of us had more than one machine under the same account, until the old one was removed.

If you do what you do, which is unusual, you should see one computer listed for each account. The only reason I can think it might work otherwise from the way you did it, is because the computer serial number, or other computer info is being used twice, and it's a bug of some kind.
  • Reply 109 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I have an account. My wife has an account. My daughter has an account.

Each time we moved to a new machine, we (I!) de-authorized the old one before taking it out of service. At times at least one of us had more than one machine under the same account, until the old one was removed.

If you do what you do, which is unusual, you should see one computer listed for each account. The only reason I can think it might work otherwise from the way you did it, is because the computer serial number, or other computer info is being used twice, and it's a bug of some kind.

I think I'm seeing what is going on. I can authorize one computer multiple times, but it's not necessary to do so. The iTunes service and software doesn't appear to have any code to prevent redundant authorizations on the same computer. The iTunes menu in iTunes does not show the computer as having been authorized. I can only tell by trying to play a protected track.