Blu-ray vs. DVD/VOD (2009)

Comments

• Reply 621 of 668
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    In more netflix news:

Netflix has announced that streaming will be available via the PS3 later this year. I just reserved a copy of the activation disc via the netflix website. Once received, it will be necessary to visit the netflix site again to activate the PS3.

Gizmodo: Netflix Streaming on PS3: Coming Soon

Edit: (here's the press release)

Quote:

COMING SOON: NETFLIX MEMBERS CAN INSTANTLY WATCH MOVIES AND TV EPISODES STREAMED TO TVs VIA THE PLAYSTATION®3 COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM

With Movies Streamed Instantly from Netflix, Blu-ray/DVD Playback and Downloadable Videos via the PlayStation®Network, the PlayStation 3 System Offers The Industry?s Most Comprehensive Options for Watching Movies and TV Shows

FOSTER CITY and LOS GATOS, Calif., October 26, 2009 ? Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. (SCEA) and Netflix, Inc. [Nasdaq: NFLX] today announced that they are joining forces to make thousands of movies and TV episodes from Netflix available to be streamed instantly to TVs via the PlayStation®3 (PS3?) computer entertainment system. Netflix expects to begin streaming via the PS3 system next month at no additional cost to Netflix members in the United States who have a PS3 system.

Today?s announcement pairs two of the most popular and fastest growing home entertainment brands in the U.S. The PS3 system?s installed base has reached close to 9 million units in the United States, and Netflix recently reported 11.1 million U.S. subscribers as of September 30.

The partnership further solidifies the PS3 system as the most complete home entertainment hub on the market today, enabling consumers to play high-definition games, watch Blu-ray movies, listen to music, view photos, browse the Internet, and download content from PlayStation®Network − from exclusive games to blockbuster movies and popular TV shows. PS3 system owners will soon enjoy an unparalleled experience watching their favorite movies and TV shows streamed instantly from Netflix, downloading from the PlayStation Network or watching Blu-ray/DVD media. The Netflix offering expands on the entertainment experience delivered to PS3 system owners via PlayStation Network.

For only $8.99 a month, Netflix members can instantly watch unlimited movies and TV episodes streamed to their TVs and computers via Netflix ready devices such as the PS3 system and can receive unlimited DVDs delivered quickly to their homes.

?The PlayStation 3 system has always been about more than just gaming, and it will soon be the only platform in the industry to offer consumers such a variety of convenient options for enjoying movies and TV shows,? said Jack Tretton, president and CEO, SCEA. ?Whether you want to watch content on Blu-ray disc and DVD, download it from the PlayStation Network?s video delivery service, or stream videos instantly from Netflix, the PS3 system is the only solution that offers it all.?

?As instantly watching movies and TV episodes streamed from Netflix becomes an increasingly popular way to enjoy the Netflix service, our goal is to rapidly expand the devices that stream to our members,? said Netflix CEO and co-founder Reed Hastings. ?As a leading game console and Blu-ray disc player, bringing Netflix to the PS3 system is a real win for both Netflix members and PS3 system owners.?

Initially, watching movies instantly streamed from Netflix via the PS3 system will be enabled by a free, instant streaming Blu-ray disc that is being made available to all Netflix members. The free instant streaming disc leverages Blu-ray?s BD-Live? technology to access the Internet and activate the Netflix user interface on the PS3 system, which must be online via Wi-Fi or Ethernet.

Netflix members simply slide the disc into their PS3 systems to reveal movies and TV episodes that can be watched instantly. These titles are conveniently organized into a variety of categories based on members? personal preferences, popular genres, new arrivals and members? individual instant Queues. Members can use the Netflix Web site or navigate directly on their PS3 systems to add movies and TV shows to their Queues. With the PS3 system?s Wireless Controller, members can choose a movie to watch from their instant Queues or just play directly from any of the lists. They also have the ability to read synopses and rate movies. In addition, they have the option of fast-forwarding and rewinding the video stream via the Wireless Controller.

Netflix members and PS3 system owners can now reserve a free instant streaming disc for PS3 systems by going to www.netflix.com/ps3. Upon availability, the instant streaming disc will be delivered for free by first-class mail, generally one business day after members request it.

• Reply 622 of 668
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

Making an argument about the library size is just not valid. The library will get larger as fast as they can covert their own librabry into streaming contents.

It will? I've yet to see an HD streaming service that doesn't have desirable movies disappearing from they're library as fast as they're adding new ones.
  • Reply 623 of 668
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

Ah, still hoping your dark night will pull through for ya huh? Wasn't the PS3 supposed to start dominating about 2 years ago?

Ok, so they have a new console config out now and the price is level with the competition pretty much...NPD numbers come out today and I'm sure they'll have a nice little bump in sales.

Yet, will it outsell it's competition this holiday season? F/ck no. It will get crushed by the Wii and 360 once again.

Even with a good game like Uncharted 2 the console is still a mediocre gaming platform and consumers know it.

But you keep on hoping buddy.

Ahh, Elixir...our long time Xbox 360 fan boy. I'm not really hoping for anything there big guy...I can care less if PS3 beats Xbox 360 or Wii or any combination that wouldn't put your panties in a bind.

The only thing I really cared about from day one was that Blu-ray become successful and beat out the lesser format HD DVD. Has the PS3 been successful? Yes I think so...especially when one considers how effective it was in driving the adoption of the Blu-ray format. As successful as it could have been--from a gaming console perspective--provided it was at a better price point from the get go?...no, probably not.

Will that change? Maybe. The PS3 Slim price point has already seen sales skyrocket for Sony...

http://www.psu.com/September-NPD--PS...a008294-p0.php

Now, will they overtake Microsoft by the end of the year in sales for the year? Probably not,...do I care? No, it is no skin off my back.

So anyhow, here's "hoping" you can see past the Xbox Fanboy fare and accept that Blu-ray is here to stay and the PS3 was an integral part in that process.
  • Reply 624 of 668
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Yes, for those using netflix streaming no longer need to keep their disc ques for DVD delivery.

Yes, VuDu HDX PQ is like 1080p equal to BD as well as providing DD+ audio.

What does big screens have to do with replacing movie disc rental vs. streaming services?

That was in reference to some claim you can't see the difference between 1080i and p on as screen smaller than 50".

However I just read an article in the Times today about Disney developing a system to track digital ownership so a consumer could purchase a video from the internet and be able to transfer it to several different devices withput the movie studios being afraid of piracy. This way a person could watch something on their computer, transfer it to their iPhone, and then watch it on their big screen at home as many times as they want forever because they'd own it. Now this is what I've been talking about. Portability and you only have to pay once.

If this works it could be the way owning downloads is handled. The same article also said physical media would be around for a long time but may become the supplement to downloading. Like I've said this is what I've been talking about when I say they have to figure out how this would be handled because people still like to own and there is the portability issue. If this works well enough this might solve that.

From the article :

Quote:

The Walt Disney Company in the coming weeks will introduce its new system for tracking digital ownership, which it calls Keychest. It would allow consumers to buy permanent access to digital entertainment — a specific film, for instance — that then could be watched on computers, cellphones and cable on-demand services. Analysts speculate that Apple will be a partner.

A mother could start streaming “Toy Story” on a laptop for her kids, continue the film on an iPhone at a restaurant and finish it at home with a video-on-demand cable service.

Details remain sketchy — and it is still anyone’s guess when consumers might see it — but Keychest has two other promising features, Disney says. The system would work with various digital formats, so competing companies could maintain disparate business plans.

And piracy, at least conceptually, would be less of a worry. The technology rests on cloud computing, in which huge troves of data are stored on remote servers so users have access from anywhere. Movies would be streamed from the cloud and never downloaded, making them harder to pirate.

“We have a better mousetrap and have a higher chance of getting companies to participate than do other schemes out there,” said Bob Chapek, president of home entertainment at Walt Disney Studios.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/26/bu...d%20DVD&st=cse

Read it.

It's a good read.
  • Reply 625 of 668
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

It will? I've yet to see an HD streaming service that doesn't have desirable movies disappearing from they're library as fast as they're adding new ones.

If you're looking exclusively for HD streaming, then VuDu HDX may be a better option for now. It may cost you more than Netflix, though.
  • Reply 626 of 668
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

If you're looking exclusively for HD streaming...

Would anything less be a legitimate alternative to Blu-Ray?
  • Reply 627 of 668
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

That was in reference to some claim you can't see the difference between 1080i and p on as screen smaller than 50".

However I just read an article in the Times today about Disney developing a system to track digital ownership so a consumer could purchase a video from the internet and be able to transfer it to several different devices withput the movie studios being afraid of piracy. This way a person could watch something on their computer, transfer it to their iPhone, and then watch it on their big screen at home as many times as they want forever because they'd own it. Now this is what I've been talking about. Portability and you only have to pay once.

If this works it could be the way owning downloads is handled. The same article also said physical media would be around for a long time but may become the supplement to downloading. Like I've said this is what I've been talking about when I say they have to figure out how this would be handled because people still like to own and there is the portability issue. If this works well enough this might solve that.

From the article :

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/26/bu...d%20DVD&st=cse

Read it.

It's a good read.

Actually, bigger screens may matter because some of the newer flat screen models will provide streaming service directly without a transporter. I would still prefer a separate unit with good video up scaler to do the job.

I don't remember anyone claiming that streaming will take over instantly and replace all optical discs. Some of the predictions were based on streaming technology growing faster than blu-ray will. It seems there is more interest supporting streaming technology compare to when HD optical disc solution was first introduced in 2006. However, HD streaming solution still seems to be a luxury option as it requires having faster/expensive internet service as well as premium cost for the streaming contents compared to fixed cost $8.99/month unlimited SD streaming option from Netflix.
  • Reply 628 of 668
    Quote:

Would anything less be a legitimate alternative to Blu-Ray?

I am not quite sure as you are aware that not all blu-ray contents are HD worthy. However, I can tell you one thing from my own experience on Ratatuille on blu-ray compared to 720 4.5GB version file that it is very hard to make a call on my 67" TV. I really have to pay attention and carefully look for flaws to tell the difference. I may have a different experience once I finish my basement theater with much larger 100"+ FP viewing.
  • Reply 629 of 668
    I think Jobs is right. Physical media is going away, blu-ray with it. The key is iPhone and expanded bandwidth. Jobs "owns" Disney. I think streaming digital media to a variety of viewing devices is the future and Disney and iTunes will continue to push it along with Apple's media centric computers, iPods and phones. If Jobs can hold out a little longer, I think blu-ray will die of it's own Sony imposed weight restrictions.
  • Reply 630 of 668
    Quote:

I can tell you one thing from my own experience on Ratatuille on blu-ray compared to 720 4.5GB version file that it is very hard to make a call on my 67" TV. I really have to pay attention and carefully look for flaws to tell the difference. I may have a different experience once I finish my basement theater with much larger 100"+ FP viewing.

Really? Unless you're sitting too far away (like 12 feet or more) or your 65" screen was built more for size than stellar picture quality, you should definitely see a difference. That said, Ratatouille's probably a little more forgiving than a dimly-lit fast-paced live-action film.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacDSmith2 View Post

I think Jobs is right. Physical media is going away, blu-ray with it.

Sure. In like 10-20 years. And we should all enjoy Blu-Ray for the time being. Surely I'm not the only one who doesn't want to wait another decade before I can fill my $1,500 television with a pristine HD version of any new release film of my choosing?
  • Reply 631 of 668
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacDSmith2 View Post

I think Jobs is right. Physical media is going away, blu-ray with it. The key is iPhone and expanded bandwidth. Jobs "owns" Disney. I think streaming digital media to a variety of viewing devices is the future and Disney and iTunes will continue to push it along with Apple's media centric computers, iPods and phones. If Jobs can hold out a little longer, I think blu-ray will die of it's own Sony imposed weight restrictions.

Physical media isn't going away anytime soon. Why? The restrictions on Digital downloads are every bit the bag of hurt Blu-Ray is, if not more.
  • Reply 632 of 668
    Quote:

Really? Unless you're sitting too far away (like 12 feet or more) or your 65" screen was built more for size than stellar picture quality, you should definitely see a difference. That said, Ratatouille's probably a little more forgiving than a dimly-lit fast-paced live-action film.

Perhaps, I am sitting too far? I have not had chance to getting my measuring tape out but my viewing must be around 9 to 10' or 11' at the most. I use it as a computer monitor for gaming sometimes and browsing internet without having to magnify the font size. I would think I am still sitting at the reasonable distance or my eye sight is appropriate for the viewing distance.

Anyway, it comes down to being able to tell the difference between 720p(4.5GB file) vs. 1080p. The result also may vary depends on what you're using to upscale to 1080p as well as quality of re-encoding of 720p content from 1080p orginal materal. Regardless, it is hard to tell the difference for me unless I am looking for it. I can't comment too much on the audio side at this point, but DD+ or above audio encodes may require larger file size, but the file I used was encoded in DTS which was pretty good through my AVR.
  • Reply 633 of 668
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Actually, bigger screens may matter because some of the newer flat screen models will provide streaming service directly without a transporter. I would still prefer a separate unit with good video up scaler to do the job.

I don't remember anyone claiming that streaming will take over instantly and replace all optical discs. Some of the predictions were based on streaming technology growing faster than blu-ray will. It seems there is more interest supporting streaming technology compare to when HD optical disc solution was first introduced in 2006. However, HD streaming solution still seems to be a luxury option as it requires having faster/expensive internet service as well as premium cost for the streaming contents compared to fixed cost $8.99/month unlimited SD streaming option from Netflix.

Quote:

I don't remember anyone claiming that streaming will take over instantly and replace all optical discs.

Not streaming per say but downloading, the internet, no physical media. Just ask Carniphage.

I've responded to others here as well who thought physical media would go away soon. I guess you just need to go way back in the thread as it's become apparent that's not going to happen anytime soon.
  • Reply 634 of 668
    Quote:

Not streaming per say but downloading, the internet, no physical media. Just ask Carniphage.

I've responded to others here as well who thought physical media would go away soon. I guess you just need to go way back in the thread as it's become apparent that's not going to happen anytime soon.

That doesn't seem like an accurate characterization of the discussion in this thread. Streaming proponents generally take a less extreme approach than "physical media will go away soon".

But I suppose it really boils down to how we interpret the meaning of "going away" and "soon". Rather than attempting to reach consensus on the meaning of those terms, it is probably simpler to just rephrase positions with less ambiguous terms. After all, it would be hard enough just to agree on exactly when CDs have "gone away" or "will go away". Since nearly all music toting pedestrians now have iPod like devices, does that mean CDs have "gone away"? To me, the "gone away" metric isn't terribly useful.

Back to the topic at hand...

In my opinion, spending on physical media has already been eclipsed by spending on content not stored on physical media. Cable bills have soared with the addition of more choices. In the same time frame, physical media sales and rentals have declined. PVRs are now quite common. Netflix streaming has absolutely exploded. And the major game consols offer a whole slew of options. The general trend has been less physical media purchases and rentals while spending more on content delivered electronically.

The whole nature of the market has completely changed. No longer is it simply a choice between buying, renting, and a couple movies on cable that night. Without leaving their home, people can now choose between a whole list of entertainment options each night.

So while physical media won't likely go away "soon", it doesn't mean that downloads/subscriptions/VOD/streaming won't "soon" be "normal" or even "prevalent". By some metrics, physical media has already been eclipsed.
  • Reply 635 of 668
    Quote:

That's precisely what would need to happen. Some kind of universal database would need to keep track of what movies you have purchased — regardless of what digital distributor you purchased them from — and all other digital distributors would have to honor the database. This way, you could pay $20 to buy a movie on VUDU in their proprietary HDX DRM format, but you'd then be free to download the same movie on your iPhone in Apple's proprietary DRM and format/size, as well as on your Sony PSP, PS3, etc.

The issue is getting everyone to cooperate on a system like this, from all of the movie studios to all of the digital content providers. It doesn't do any good if only Disney does it.
  • Reply 636 of 668
    Quote:

You have to find the quote where someone said the downloads or streaming replacing the physical discs in a instant event. I don't recall, but I don't believe anyone did.

Regardless, the movie streaming and downloads are rapidly being accepted, much much faster than the HD optical media. The streaming services, especially Netflix service is already making a huge impact and gained acceptance as a rental service option. There are few of my co-workers making new subcriptions to Neflix just for the unlimited streaming service at $8.99 and cancelling they expensive cable services.

I would not think the streaming subcribers would instantly stop using the media disc for movies, but would definately reduce the need for the physical media discs way faster than your prediction of 5 to 7 years. It is happening now.
  • Reply 637 of 668
    Quote:

Regardless, the movie streaming and downloads are rapidly being accepted, much much faster than the HD optical media.

Lol, wut? Please direct me to the data that shows PAID movie streaming and downloads is outpacing Blu-Ray adoption. HULU and YouTube doesn't count, because it's freakin' free.
  • Reply 638 of 668
    Quote:

Lol, wut? Please direct me to the data that shows PAID movie streaming and downloads is outpacing Blu-Ray adoption. HULU and YouTube doesn't count, because it's freakin' free.

The broadcast networks are free. Are they meaningless to the cable industry because broadcast TV is free?

Hopefully I remember the stats correctly:

Netflix subscribers: 11 million (28% year over year growth)

10% of netflix subscribers are blu-ray subscribers

42% of netflix subscribers streamed content last quarter (as compared to 22% the year before)

Granted, these stats aren't representative of all types of consumers. Nor do they indicate that more revenue is currently being made by streaming services. And I'll also acknowledge that the 42% number isn't indicative of the percentage of people using streaming on a regular basis. It just means that they _tried_ streaming.

But to me, the trend is still quite clear. The masses are incredibly interested in having instant access to a massive video library. And to them free (ad supported) viewing certainly does count. Why wouldn't it?

And now for a somewhat unrelated anecdote:

Today while eating lunch in the company cafeteria, I heard our operations and hr managers talking about how movie rental stores were disappearing. They no longer have any options within a half hour drive. The grocery store got rid of the video department and the local blockbuster closed down a couple years ago. All they're left with is redbox, which one of them quite likes except for the limited selection.

I asked him if he was a netflix subscriber. He said yes. So I proceeded to inform him that for $79 he could buy a netflix box that plugs into his TV. And that he could stream anything he saw in the watch instantly tab on the netflix website. This blew his mind. Especially after confirming that it didn't require more money per month, that it comes with a convenient remote, and that no computer was required. He's planning on ordering one tonight if he sees enough good movies in the watch instantly library.

This seems like a completely typical scenario that will be repeated tens of millions of times over the next few years. (Not necessarily with netflix) We're already quite a way down the the market progression that iTS pioneered. There are numerous competing services. Nearly every major media outlet has set up a streaming service and/or licensed their library to other companies. Nearly every major electronics manufacturer either already offers streaming hardware or has some in the works.
  • Reply 639 of 668
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

The broadcast networks are free. Are they meaningless to the cable industry because broadcast TV is free?

Does anyone compare CBS's viewer numbers to HBO and claim the ratings prove no one will pay for HBO anymore because far more people watch the freely-broadcast CBS? No, they don't. Because that would be stupid.

Quote:

Hopefully I remember the stats correctly:

Netflix subscribers: 11 million (28% year over year growth)

10% of netflix subscribers are blu-ray subscribers

42% of netflix subscribers streamed content last quarter (as compared to 22% the year before)

Granted, these stats aren't representative of all types of consumers. Nor do they indicate that more revenue is currently being made by streaming services. And I'll also acknowledge that the 42% number isn't indicative of the percentage of people using streaming on a regular basis. It just means that they _tried_ streaming.

But to me, the trend is still quite clear. The masses are incredibly interested in having instant access to a massive video library. And to them free (ad supported) viewing certainly does count. Why wouldn't it?

Netflix streaming is a free supplement to those who rent physical media. I say again, it's FREE to those subscribers who are renting physical media from Netflix. When Netflix starts to offer a streaming-only package and beaks out those subscription numbers, then we'll talk (of course no one would do this because the content you're limited to sucks for the most part). In the meantime, 10% of the subscribers are opting to pay an additional $2-$3 more per month for Blu-Ray.

Quote:

And now for a somewhat unrelated anecdote:

Today while eating lunch in the company cafeteria, I heard our operations and hr managers talking about how movie rental stores were disappearing. They no longer have any options within a half hour drive. The grocery store got rid of the video department and the local blockbuster closed down a couple years ago. All they're left with is redbox, which one of them quite likes except for the limited selection.

I asked him if he was a netflix subscriber. He said yes. So I proceeded to inform him that for $79 he could buy a netflix box that plugs into his TV. And that he could stream anything he saw in the watch instantly tab on the netflix website. This blew his mind. Especially after confirming that it didn't require more money per month, that it comes with a convenient remote, and that no computer was required. He's planning on ordering one tonight if he sees enough good movies in the watch instantly library.

This seems like a completely typical scenario that will be repeated tens of millions of times over the next few years. (Not necessarily with netflix) We're already quite a way down the the market progression that iTS pioneered. There are numerous competing services. Nearly every major media outlet has set up a streaming service and/or licensed their library to other companies. Nearly every major electronics manufacturer either already offers streaming hardware or has some in the works.

Yeah, and after about a week of watching content he'll no longer be able to find anything of interest on the "watch instantly" tab that he hasn't already seen.
  • Reply 640 of 668
    Quote:

Does anyone compare CBS's viewer numbers to HBO and claim the ratings prove no one will pay for HBO anymore because far more people watch the freely-broadcast CBS? No, they don't. Because that would be stupid.

Nobody has been making that argument. We're simply saying that free and paid services compete for viewership.

Quote:

Netflix streaming is a free supplement to those who rent physical media. I say again, it's FREE to those subscribers who are renting physical media from Netflix. When Netflix starts to offer a streaming-only package and beaks out those subscription numbers, then we'll talk (of course no one would do this because the content you're limited to sucks for the most part). In the meantime, 10% of the subscribers are opting to pay an additional $2-$3 more per month for Blu-Ray.

Yeah, and after about a week of watching content he'll no longer be able to find anything of interest on the "watch instantly" tab that he hasn't already seen.

Netflix doesn't offer a blu-ray only option either.

People already pay for electronic delivery of video to set top boxes. In fact, it is the most popular and profitable market for home video entertainment. Cable TV is what i'm talking about.

The transition to IP based streaming isn't that radical a departure as it might first appear. It simply involves a slightly different set top box with a different plug and a different service provider. The infrastructure is already there and the media providing services are spending huge some of money to capture that market.

What the masses are really waiting on are across-the-board licensing deals between those providers and the content owners. Certainly, people who really appreciate HD will stick to blu-ray and HD cable/satellite/ota. But in my opinion, the services, infrastructure, and hardware are already in place for the type of experience that most people desire. They're simply waiting on the licensing deals to make "watch anything anywhere anytime" a reality.