Blu-ray vs. DVD/VOD (2009)

1282930313234»

Comments

• Reply 661 of 668
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Looks like Disney is bringing my concept to life, and they're calling it Keychest. Looks like there's hope for a disc-free world after all.

Very interesting. The same Disney that has such close ties to a certain Mr. Jobs, and who has always been an early participant in whatever online video schemes Apple comes up with.

There was talk of how Apple's Lala acquisition might enable iTunes streaming, using the "scan your hard drive and make server copies of your purchased music available in the cloud" trick, but this sounds like that idea on steroids.
  • Reply 662 of 668
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Very interesting. The same Disney that has such close ties to a certain Mr. Jobs, and who has always been an early participant in whatever online video schemes Apple comes up with.

There was talk of how Apple's Lala acquisition might enable iTunes streaming, using the "scan your hard drive and make server copies of your purchased music available in the cloud" trick, but this sounds like that idea on steroids.

Keychest is better in that it allows all of your devices to maintain whatever format and DRM they use now; the only thing kept in the "cloud" is a yes or no as to whether or not you paid for the thing. This is a far more realistic approach, because there will never be a world where every desirable electronic device uses the same video format and DRM. With Keychest, they don't have to; they just have to agree to honor your purchase of a movie on someone else's digital store, and vice-versa.
  • Reply 663 of 668
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Keychest is better in that it allows all of your devices to maintain whatever format and DRM they use now; the only thing kept in the "cloud" is a yes or no as to whether or not you paid for the thing. This is a far more realistic approach, because there will never be a world where every desirable electronic device uses the same video format and DRM. With Keychest, they don't have to; they just have to agree to honor your purchase of a movie on someone else's digital store, and vice-versa.

Right, but it also means that cloud based streaming services could make use of the same key query, and that those keys could be granted retroactively on stuff you already own. So in the case of the LaLa scheme, instead of having to scan your drive for content, you could just upload your keys to the iTunes servers, bingo, streaming iTunes with no copyright worries.

Not just Apple, of course, it would be great for the entire content industry. You could have Keychest, internet enabled flat screens that make the simple key query and allow you to watch your content there.

Man, the more I think about it, the more this sounds like the holy grail of multiple screen content consumption. And because it gives the rights holders what they need it does an end run around proprietary hardware schemes.

Seeing as how it makes so much sense, I have to assume the big studios will be dead set against it.
  • Reply 664 of 668
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I'm terribly disappointed that, for the first time in at least five years, nobody bothered to start an annual thread.

I would suggest Blu-Ray vs. iTunes [2010], just for consistency's sake.
  • Reply 665 of 668
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

I'm terribly disappointed that, for the first time in at least five years, nobody bothered to start an annual thread.

I would suggest Blu-Ray vs. iTunes [2010], just for consistency's sake.

Agreed. It's a glorious tradition that gets ever more awe inspiring the longer it goes on.

Hmmmm...... (rushes off).
  • Reply 666 of 668
    I thought this was about DVD vs BluRay, not a thread about streaming. Sure, I'd love to download true HD video with at least 5.1 Dolby Digital sound, but try doing that on 384 Kb/s so-called broadband. Amazon.co.uk can deliver a disc to me faster than I can download a movie. In fact, I can't download any large files as the ISP throttles back the service when I try it. Most of the world isn't wired with real broadband internet service. I live in a city of 600,000+ and the ISPs here are awful.

My MacBook Pro has the very same "SuperDrive" DVD RW drive that came in my 2004 PowerBook G4. The screen on my MacBook Pro is 1920 x 1200 and when a DVD movie is scaled up to that resolution it looks awful! Apple has missed the boat here. People can and do watch movies on their computers. Truly mobile people especially do and even if they have access to broadband, content available in the USA is often blocked when out of the country. I've purchased an external BluRay drive and it works, but it's a cumbersome arrangement having to carry the device with me, plug it in, and then boot into Windows to watch a BluRay movie. It looks ridiculous next to a modern notebook PC with built in BluRay. Apple makes more than enough money to pay the BluRay licensing fees and deliver a decent BluRay software player bundled into a laptop computer with a built in BluRay drive.

It's 2010 fer chrissake!
  • Reply 667 of 668
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrJedi View Post

I thought this was about DVD vs BluRay, not a thread about streaming.

Note the term "VOD" in this thread's title.
  • Reply 668 of 668
    This thread is no longer current. Please see the "Blu-ray vs. every other consumer technology 2010" thread.