Apple declares iPhone a challenger to Nintendo DS

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I'm pretty sure the iphone is weaker than the PSP overall.

The PSP can do more complex scenes (33 million polys/sec - about the same as a PS2), iphone (3.7 million), DS (120k, which is why the DS games are mainly 2D side scrollers).

So far, I've seen PSone level graphics on the iphone and no better. I guess Dreamcast is the more accurate comparison but they were pretty close visually. PSP games look incredible by comparison and almost identical to a PS2.

Trust me, Sony is not entirely honest when it comes to stats on its hardware.

Outside a tech demo - the PS2 struggles to manage 2 - 3 million polys per second.

And to achieve that required a vast investment in hand-coding the vector pipeline.

The PSP is clocked slower and is slower. A typical PSP scene has about 25 - 50K polys. Which at 20-30 fps is about a million per second. DS is way slower. (This is what I do for a living)

The ARM / PowerVR combo in the iPhone is easily capable of matching the PSP. But to do so will take some investment in code. Up till now, we have seen many games which are heavily optimized. I doubt if any iPhone game has more than a man-year in development time. Only now are developers starting to take the iPhone seriously.

Commercially, the PSP has been a bit of a dud. The DS has outsold it 2:1.

More importantly the DS attach rate is way above the attach rate for the PSP.

The best-selling PSP title is 2.5 million versus 20 million for the best-selling DS game.

The iPhone/iPod touch platform is currently outselling the aging PSP by quite a margin.

C.