Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.6 Update

Comments

• Reply 21 of 134
    it seems the update has fixed the super annoying itunes airtunes drop out.
  • Reply 22 of 134
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    It's also 190MB here for my Late 2007 iMac.

But it is 377MB for my Late 2008 MacBook. Anyone knows why there is such a difference?
  • Reply 23 of 134
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I always recommend using the Combo.
  • Reply 24 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Monday released Mac OS X 10.5.6 ...

Worked for me. Everything is not only snappier, I *feel* snappier myself.

My skin is clearer too and the sun seems just a tad brighter.
  • Reply 25 of 134
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Disk Repair is much more responsive. So is Safari. Wish I could update myself.
  • Reply 26 of 134
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Worked for me. Everything is not only snappier, I *feel* snappier myself.

My skin is clearer too and the sun seems just a tad brighter.

Schnaps, anybody? This has really perked up my day. The schnappiness I mean.
  • Reply 27 of 134
    Used Combo Update on iMac G5 2.1 GHz and iMac G4 1 GHz 17". The iMac G4 installed without a hitch. The iMac G5 failed to restart after update installed. I knew it was frozen when the (much slower) iMac G4 restarted on its own. Powered down the iMac G5 and restarted with the dual restarts as expected. As a precaution, will back up my stuff and run Combo update again.

This is a long update. You may think the Mac is frozen but it is not. It takes a long time to install the update, even though it says "2 minutes remaining."

**UPDATE**

Backed up my iMac G5 just to be safe, booted from my external drive with Tiger, ran Disk Utility. Internal drive needed repair. Repaired volume, rebooted to Leopard, ran Combo Update again, and installed without a hitch. iMac G5 rebooted as expected after install was complete.
  • Reply 28 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I always recommend using the Combo.

Agreed, I've been reading a lot about failed updates today. Seems a lot of OS X Software Updates aren't grabbing the whole file and this is causing failed reboots (no wonder)

Grab the Combo update from Apple folks

http://support.apple.com/downloads/M...6_Combo_Update
  • Reply 29 of 134
    Wow, I just downloaded 10.5.6 and tested the "new" MobileMe ? it's really syncs in less than 1 minute after any change/edits and the whole syncing is _way_ faster than before. This is a major update IMHO.

Great work Apple!
  • Reply 30 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bclapper View Post

Agreed, I've been reading a lot about failed updates today. Seems a lot of OS X Software Updates aren't grabbing the whole file and this is causing failed reboots (no wonder)

Grab the Combo update from Apple folks

http://support.apple.com/downloads/M...6_Combo_Update

Some people disagree with me on this, but I've been saying for a long time that software in the computer gets corupted over time without our knowing it. Sometimes this has the effect of making an update fail, or otherwise have problems. Bad permissions can cause problems as well.

Also, it's interesting to note that most people do NOT have problems with updates. That means that the update itself is not likely to be the fault for most people who do have problems.

People do strange things. despite being told not to by Apple, I've found people moving files that shouldn't be moved. Re-naming others that shouldn't be re-named, etc. This will get people in trouble.

Also, not all programs are well behaved. Many update problems can be tracked to software that uses memory locations that are off limits, or API's that they shouldn't be using, and so on.

A lot of this, but not all, will be solved with a Combo update, as it replaces all files changed after the original upgrade.
  • Reply 31 of 134
    How long did it take to run the upgrade once the download was complete? I've tried three times now and after 15 minutes of "Configuring System" I've given up. Seems very strange that it should take this long.

Anyone else have any issues?
  • Reply 32 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

What's the status on the bug report you presumably filed with Apple?

I thought the dock in movies was just me...but now I know I am not alone. I did file a bug report but never get any replies..about the same as filing a bug with Microsoft.
  • Reply 33 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midfat View Post

How long did it take to run the upgrade once the download was complete? I've tried three times now and after 15 minutes of "Configuring System" I've given up. Seems very strange that it should take this long.

On my C2D iMac, after the download portion, the actual install/restart took all of about 3 minutes.
  • Reply 34 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by i386 View Post

That cracked me up

German math is much harder then "other" maths.
  • Reply 35 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bslaght View Post

I thought the dock in movies was just me...but now I know I am not alone. I did file a bug report but never get any replies..about the same as filing a bug with Microsoft.

You don't get replies from bug reports. Somewhere Apple even tells you that, though I don't remember where I saw it. I'd guess they have a software filter that looks for various keywords and decides which ones even get read by humans.
  • Reply 36 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midfat View Post

I'm having the same issue.
  • Reply 37 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bslaght View Post

German math is much harder then "other" maths.

It's because of the accent. Germans type differently, so the program has problems understanding the numbers.
  • Reply 38 of 134
    ak1808ak1808 Posts: 108member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's because of the accent. Germans type differently, so the program has problems understanding the numbers.

Maybe it's because Germans use a decimal comma, not a decimal point.
  • Reply 39 of 134
    ak1808ak1808 Posts: 108member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hagar

Has this fixed the two most annoying Leopard bugs ever?

1) the dock appears after a few minutes while watching movies full screen in QuickTime

No, it's not fixed yet.

Deactivate "Dock Objects" in MobileMe>Sync. That fixes it for me.
  • Reply 40 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post

I'm having the same issue.

Read the prior posts. This update takes a long time to run.

I ran the Combo update and this was the first time in Mac OS X history that the Mac failed to reboot after the install was complete. I clicked Restart, got the beach ball for a second or two, then the arrow pointer on my iMac G5, then nothing. No finder, just the background picture. The iMac G4 immediately prompted the notice of boot files being updated and then restarted after a few minutes.

I am still backing up my Home folder before I run the Combo again just to make sure the update installed properly.