Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.6 Update

Comments

• Reply 101 of 134
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

But then I've got some anecdotal evidence that floppies are quite reliable.

I recently dug up the ol' Mac 512k Fat Mac and the ol' Mac SE from my parent's basement. I had in my old bedroom a bunch of old 800k diskettes. Interestingly enough, not only did both computers work, the Mac SE's internal 20MB HDD was working beautifully, *and* all my old games on 800k floppies were working beautifully. Dark Castle, Beyond Dark Castle, Deja Vu 1 and 2, Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego.

I don't think there was a single diskette thrown at these two machines that didn't work.

But then, I've had an HDD in my Quicksilver G4 die within the span of 2 years.

It's the expected lifetimes that matter here. We've all had, say floppies, that lasted for years, and those that lasted a few days.

The question is whether you would want to keep valuable data on something that's subject to such loss within the context of normal use and storage?even if some lasted much longer?
  • Reply 102 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Or else you'll look like a fool.

Try any of these articles;

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Just one part of an article talking about latent drive defects, which you are denying:

http://www.acmqueue.org/modules.php?...pid=506&page=4

Your ignorance is quite amazing! You are lazy as well. You could have done a quick Google search first, but no, you WANT to look ridiculous! Fine, I have no problem with that.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

So far, I can't find the one article I'm looking for, but this is an example.

http://etbe.coker.com.au/2008/06/01/...e-of-hardware/

Wow! I've been called a lazy ignorant fool that wants to look ridiculous by a "Global Moderator" of an Internet forum. Frankly, I'm glad you don't have a problem with that. So tomorrow I'll be posting this most recent example of your nonsense on the wall of my office for the amusement of all. There is already quite a collection there.

Why would I want waste the time (which is quite valuable) to Google topics for your benefit alone that attempt to refute what I already have well over 2 decades experience overwhelmingly contradicting your "impeccable" sources? I would expect that I could still put a lot more people in a room that would agree with me than would agree with you.

But then maybe not. There's another one born every minute. There is obviously more stupidity and gullibility on this planet than water. In the financial markets, that alone has helped me make an impeccably comfortable living for a long time.

Have a nice day!
  • Reply 103 of 134
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    For what it's worth... Installed the combo update on an 20" iMac and PowerBook G4.

Zero problems. As usual.

Carry on.
  • Reply 104 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Simple. Power interruption, computer freezing, files not being written to the disk properly. All are examples that can cause corruption.

Those problems are precisely why a journaling file system exists. Fortunately for us OS X has used hfsj for a while.
  • Reply 105 of 134
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PeterO View Post

It concerns the impact an update has on OS X's footprint on a hard drive. The cumulative size of the incremental updates (10.5.0 to 10.5.1; 10.5.1 to 10.5.2; 10.5.2 to 10.5.3; etc.) seems to really add up. Do you know the relationship between the size of a downloaded update and the growth of OS X's footprint on a hard drive?

Don't know how helpful, but I did a Time Machine backup before the 337MB update from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6. Then did another backup after and the backup is 1.2 GB. The install may have deleted some redundant files, but clearly there was a lot of compression in the download.
  • Reply 106 of 134
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Question for users of Time Machine:

Do you usually include System in the backups?

Pro seems to be that you can recover all the way back to your current System, without having to run every update since you bought your Mac.

Con is that these updates take up a lot of space. This update to 10.5.6 just cost me 1.2GB on my Time Capsule.
  • Reply 107 of 134
    Quote:

It's an interesting question.

It depends on what Apple is doing with the update.

If they are just fixing problems, the size may not vary much. If the code requires additions, then it will expand.

The size of the update doesn't directly give any indication of the final size. Apple will usually rework an entire file for an update, and replace the older one with the newer one. There could very well be a difference in size......

...........Also, depending on just what software you have apart from the OS, Apple may update with files to benefit them, whereas your friend, who has the exact same model you have, will not get those files installed, as she doesn't have that software. Some of that pertains to Final Cut Studio, and others. It won't be downloading updates to those programs, but to support files in the OS that work with those programs.

As you can see, it can be difficult to tell exactly what the result will be. I'm not sure where to go to find out more from Apple. I've never had this question asked before. Apple will tell what has been updated, but not in that detail.

Perhaps a software developer on the forum will know more.

Many thanks for your time and thoughts.

Hmm?The footprint permutations appear vast, which makes partition size decisions more of a guessing game for me. At first blush, now that hard drive capacities continue to mushroom and that cost per megabyte continues to fall, how far to err on the side of caution is much less of an issue. That said, given the comparatively very low storage capacities of today's SSD and 1.8" drives, the cumulative OS growth on a laptop with say, an expected 3-year working life with OS X undergoing sequential updates and a feline upgrade along the way, could have a huge impact on available user storage.

In addition, updating alone increases pressure to upgrade to a higher capacity drive; and/or to perform a clean install sometime over the 3 years. Predictably, this in turn has an impact on the laptop?s total cost of ownership --- a variable based on the method used to perform the changes (i.e. work done by the user or by a service technician). Naturally, other storage and OS health considerations may surface over a 3-year period to warrant the above changes, but when strictly isolated, the update/upgrade process has a cost beyond the initial price of the computer.

Granted, an OS X upgrade may be more a matter of choice than one of necessity; implicit in the owner?s decision to upgrade is their acceptance that it will alter the storage parameters, both to cost and availability. However, OS updates are arguably more a matter of necessity than one of choice. As such, when estimating storage requirements for the working life of a laptop, an owner may need to remember that the impact of OS growth to their available storage is inversely related to solid state or hard drive capacity; as drive size decreases, impact increases --- all highly salient stuff to netbook and MacBook Air owners.
  • Reply 108 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

Don't know how helpful, but I did a Time Machine backup before the 337MB update from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6. Then did another backup after and the backup is 1.2 GB. The install may have deleted some redundant files, but clearly there was a lot of compression in the download.

Hmm, Interesting --- especially, as I understand it, Time Machine does not compress files.
  • Reply 109 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Contacts, calendars, and bookmarks on a Mac automatically sync within a minute of the change being made on the computer, another device, or the web at me.com.

not for me.

i tested it tonight and a calendar entry on my macbook showed up on the phone in less than 30 seconds; i then deleted it on the macbook and it took five minutes to disappear from the iphone.

an event entered on the iPhone took about 15 minutes to show up on the macbook.

that's generally the inconsistency i had before the OS update.

(and a question: should syncing be set to automatic? manual? or one of the time periods? how does one make the choice, if one wants "one minute" syncing? what other settings in the OS, in iTunes, on the phone, or in iCal need to be made to optimize things?)
  • Reply 110 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OptionTrader View Post

Why would I want waste the time (which is quite valuable) to Google topics for your benefit alone that attempt to refute what I already have well over 2 decades experience overwhelmingly contradicting your "impeccable" sources?

I don't know which of you is right. But i do know the truth is more likely revealed through multiple data-based articles than one person's 2 decades of experience, and that it's narrow-minded to believe that what's happened to ME (good or bad) dictates the broad reality of a situation.

anecdote or empiricism? I know which gets my vote.
  • Reply 111 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

I don't know which of you is right. But i do know the truth is more likely revealed through multiple data-based articles than one person's 2 decades of experience, and that it's narrow-minded to believe that what's happened to ME (good or bad) dictates the broad reality of a situation.

anecdote or empiricism? I know which gets my vote.

For matters that could affect my well-being, I prefer evidence that can be counted, measured, recorded and validated over collective decades by my own experience and that of many peers in my selected and related professions versus often disputable "facts" from the Internet. Common sense and scientific reasoning should also be employed. I don't blindly swallow every pill just because somebody tells me to.

Ever hear of Pierre Salinger Syndrome? It appears to be an epidemic.
  • Reply 112 of 134
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Wow! I've been called a lazy ignorant fool that wants to look ridiculous by a "Global Moderator" of an Internet forum. Frankly, I'm glad you don't have a problem with that. So tomorrow I'll be posting this most recent example of your nonsense on the wall of my office for the amusement of all. There is already quite a collection there.

Why would I want waste the time (which is quite valuable) to Google topics for your benefit alone that attempt to refute what I already have well over 2 decades experience overwhelmingly contradicting your "impeccable" sources? I would expect that I could still put a lot more people in a room that would agree with me than would agree with you.

But then maybe not. There's another one born every minute. There is obviously more stupidity and gullibility on this planet than water. In the financial markets, that alone has helped me make an impeccably comfortable living for a long time.

Have a nice day!

You're lucky you're not on another site, or the moderator would have kicked you off after your first post to him. I'm kinder.

But the fact that you refuse to read anything just proves what I said.
  • Reply 113 of 134
    Quote:

You're lucky you're not on another site, or the moderator would have kicked you off after your first post to him. I'm kinder.

But the fact that you refuse to read anything just proves what I said.

I feel so privileged. But if you can stop masturbating in Google long enough, do me the favor and remove me from this forum.

I won't lose a wink of sleep over it.
  • Reply 114 of 134
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Why would I want waste the time (which is quite valuable) to Google topics for your benefit alone that attempt to refute what I already have well over 2 decades experience overwhelmingly contradicting your "impeccable" sources?

Where are your sources then? I had not the time to check what melgross posted so far, but if you are so bold about this, again, where are your sources?
  • Reply 115 of 134
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

I feel so privileged. But if you can stop masturbating in Google long enough, do me the favor and remove me from this forum.

Well, it is your personal choice how to behave when writing anonymously in a forum, but saying that you won't lose sleep over banning is a good thing.
  • Reply 116 of 134
    Quote:

Stop. This is internet forum stupidness. It doesn't matter. He's not a bad human being. This is stupid. Let it go. Please stick around. La de da.
  • Reply 117 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah View Post

Stop. This is internet forum stupidness. It doesn't matter. He's not a bad human being. This is stupid. Let it go. Please stick around. La de da.

You are absolutely correct. This is stupid.
  • Reply 118 of 134
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hagar View Post

I am happy to hear other people have this too. It seems such an obvious bug: the dock appearing while watching a movie. It's the most annoying thing ever. I think it has something to do with the screen saver or the energy settings, but I have not been able to fix it yet. I have been contacted by Apple on several occasions, but the current status is still "under investigation" :-(

Me too. Also thought I was the only one experiencing it!

It's definitely triggered by something, as there will be periods when it happens all the time and periods when it doesn't.

Amorya
  • Reply 119 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

It's definitely triggered by something, as there will be periods when it happens all the time and periods when it doesn't.

Amorya

Is this a QuickTime-only bug? It has happened to me too (frequently), but I can't remember if it was while using QuickTime or VLC...will have to pay more attention.
  • Reply 120 of 134
    ak1808ak1808 Posts: 108member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

Amorya

Guys this one is easy:

Turn off "Dock Objects" in the MobileMe sync pane. That fixes it.