GS downgrades Apple, says new product at Macworld unlikely

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theBigD23 View Post

I'm assuming or hoping that no new products doesn't mean no updates to existing lines.

Absolutely not. Apple is continually updating their products, and they will announce/release some of those updates at MacWorld. Anything not updated in the last 6 months is very fair game. The rumour itself even says "no new product categories", though the headline is misleading.

As for new product categories, who knows their source. I think we can guarantee that Apple has prototyped several products sitting between the iPhone and MBA - things like a 6" iPod Touch, a 10" MacOS Touch, Netbooks running iPhone OS and Netbooks running MacOS - to see what appeals. Whether they've found anything which hits their precise sweet-spot is a different matter - and even if they have it may not be ready in time for a release (or even preview) at MacWorld. Hard to say though.

There's also software to think about. I'm hoping for an iLife release particularly, it's been almost 18months.
  • Reply 82 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by breeze View Post

What specifically are you missing (in iLife) that needs upgrading?

iMovie HD (06) had the ability to easily paste video clips over an existing video section while retaining the previous audio. It's an excellent feature and really makes a difference to the final video. Many people didn't know how to do it, so I'd hope for that to be made easy.

As an example - why not always display a video clip with an audio bar beneath it. If the video clip has extra footage that has been cut it's easy to extend or contract the clip, but how about they allow the audio bar (without video) to be extended so that just the audio from the clip becomes part of your project (overlapping a surrounding scene). You could also separately control the fading of audio between scenes from the fading of video between scenes.

I'd also like to see iPhoto's slideshow creation integrated directly with iMovies use of stills. Creating a slideshow in iMovie gives you much more flexibility but it's harder to do than in iPhoto - integrate them. Let me specify the 'important' part of a photo (but also make the software make a best guess based on eye location) so that Ken Burns effect can use this basic data to create better effects.

* Allow iTunes and iPhoto to move their data to an external drive just like iMovie does.

* Add chapter markers back into iMovie -> iDVD

* Provide options to convert DV footage to AIC so it takes up less space on the hard disk

* iDVD needs BluRay options at some point. There are bluray standards to burn a bluray movie onto a regular DVD - it'd be great to burn HD movies in this manner!

* Create hybrid iMovies with HD photos (all photos are HD!) and SD video

Lots for iWeb too:

* Overhaul iWeb for better content creation and larger websites, add Google Analytics

* Add basic web app creation to iWeb

* Integrate MobileMe galleries better into iWeb (rather than 2 separate options).

* Export iDVD projects directly as web pages into iWeb, from which they can be edited

Some of these things could have been done as small upgrades to iLife, but Apple seems to lose interest in the little upgrades at times.

They're my initial thoughts.
  • Reply 83 of 87
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

I don't know what charts you're looking at but Apple has a 52 week high of 202.96 and it closed today at 94.75. I would call that "just fine" and neither do the stock holders.

You're cherry picking a metric that reflects market fears more than how well Apple is doing as a business. That was the bubble money on the value of Apple's stock, which is buffeted by things out of their control, which is basically category of traders you might call lemmings. It's unfortunate for shareholders to be at the whim of the less stable traders, but Apple itself is still doing quite well.

Apple itself, as a business, their actual income, gross and net profits, units sold, market share, liquid assets, all consistently went up over the past five or so years years. All those numbers grew despite the past three quarters, a time period that NBER now considers to be part of a recession.
  • Reply 84 of 87
    NO STEVE JOBS KEYNOTE

I think this means no Apple NetBook at MacWorld 2009?

iMac refreshes then, at least.

Maybe this GS guy got inside info that Steve was pulling out of MacWorld 2009 keynote, which usually means no major product launch. Unless Phil is giving a product presentation?

Oh the insanity.

Ah well, Apple netbook first half of 2009 anyways... Is still my belief.
  • Reply 85 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theBigD23 View Post

I'm assuming or hoping that no new products doesn't mean no updates to existing lines. I've been waiting for new monitors for a while now and Jan. will be the last time I wait. I'll be buying a Dell if monitors aren't announced.

I am also holding out hope for updated Time Capsules.

My wishes are modest - I'm hoping for an updated Mini that still has Firewire, I don't think that's much to ask for...
  • Reply 86 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imacmadman22 View Post

My wishes are modest - I'm hoping for an updated Mini that still has Firewire, I don't think that's much to ask for...

Oohhh I would be worried about that one. My psychic sense is troubled !

If any Mac is going to follow the AppleTV/MacBook/MBA's lack of Firewire it's the next MacMini.
  • Reply 87 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imacmadman22 View Post

Yeah... To be honest that's really asking a lot.