Macworld pullout blamed on "politics," not Jobs' health

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    Well, this would have been our 5th or 6th Macworld. We have been going every 2 years or so, and thoroughly enjoyed it as a way to get out of the Midwest winter, and enjoy San Francisco. Last year, the handling of the keynote address, and the lines to get in the overflow halls were woefully mishandled. In addition, there were so many Press and TV trucks there, one would have thought it was the Super Bowl! This year, I just purchased the expo hall passes, as spending the money for the conference badge to see the keynote address was only guaranteeing a very long wait in a very long line to get in.

Because of the economy, and job related issues, I decided to cancel just a week ago. No JW Marriott, no budget car rental for a trip down to SLO. No extra 3 nites of hotels down there. This is going to be a HUGE detriment to the SF economy in future years. People who have not attended have no clue how big an event this is.

I really feel sorry for the developers and vendors. Although there was a lot of repetitive junk there, I can't even count how many apps and accessories I became aware of just because of Macworld. Plus, meeting folks who I regularly do business with was an added plus. I will miss the Crumpler displays, the Nikon and Canon booths. The short and sweet presentations at vendor's booths about their products, and the ability to see software and products in real use, and get questions answered.

Basically, I will miss it. The show will go on for a year or two (maybe) but Macworld as we know it will be dead after this year. Because this will be the last real Macworld, I am now sorry I cancelled. I do however, have 2 expo floor passes that were received ironically, yesterday. I opened the envelope shortly after I read all the news on Jobs and Macworld.
  • Reply 42 of 57
    Apple did this before with Macworld in Boston...

This could be actually very stress reducing for Apple and Jobs. The past few SCHEDULED events there were a lot of product info leaks and preempting *not to mention under the microscope and literally up the ass scrutiny of Steve Jobs that was in really bad taste and ethics...

As Apple has become a star so to has the riff raff coverage, exposure and stock manipulation increased. It's gotten really absurd the level of malice and fabricated news that's brought the stock down to a point where many loyal and real investors have gotten seriously hurt. The current financial climate only harbors more of this etc...

Maybe it's a really good way for Apple to take better control and isolate themselves to focus on their company , innovation and products with less efforts to battle the lynch mentality and have more control over leaks, product development cycles free of public deadlines. Why provide a map to to the morons who have relied upon it to feed their thrills.

Who needs it, less stress and public hysteria can only help keep focus and innovation on track - undisturbed and un-perturbed. *

Jobs could certainly use less stress and with the rate of travel and negotiations he's involved with these days, he needs to be free of the public monkey spectacle and relaxed.

Action speaks louder than words. Apple's products are the bottom line. No one comes close to them. The proof is in the pudding.
  • Reply 43 of 57
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Apple has become like every other electronics giant-less personal. Sony comes to mind. No need for intimate keynotes at big events anymore. Sad- I too will miss those keynotes/events. It was sad when MacWorld left NYC but this is truly sadder.
  • Reply 44 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

There is much more to an Expo than just the Keynote. SIGGRAPH, NAB, CES are three Expos that aren't shrinking violets. I'd expect to see Apple visit the Federal/Defense Expos in the future.

I realize that, but Apple doesn't necessarily have to be at any of them. Third-party companies can still attend and show off their products without Apple being there to release new hardware. With the economy today, other big vendors saw the writing on the wall and realized it wouldn't be cost effective to attend. I am sure the consumer feels the same way realizing money can be much better spent elsewhere.
  • Reply 45 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

I totally agree with you on this, I feel the same way, it was just like Christmas, It was something me and my co-worker always looked forward to. It became the most exciting Tuesday for us watching the event unfold line by line as bloggers posted the event via text on their sites and then looking forward to coming home to actually watching the QT stream of the event. I was exciting. Nothing beats the Macworld Expo in January. I am so sorry to see it go myself. This is a big let down to many...I know I'll miss my Mac-Christmas event.

As CES will continue to bore us, there will no longer be a Mac event to bring back the excitement. Too bad cuz those little Apple Press events are just not even close to being the same.

But lately it hasn't been that exciting to watch a Keynote because AppleInsider and ThinkSecret (now dead) opened all the presents before "Christmas" and ruined all the surprises. It was more fun and exciting when you had no idea what was being announced.
  • Reply 46 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

I think you fail to realize, it was the Mac Expo that brought us Mac Mini, iLife suite, Panther and many great products during that time. Yes, I partially agree that it was the mini events that brought the actual release of the product but it's Steve's charisma on stage to a full room audience introducing the next coolest thing and demonstrating why it's so cool to us is just the thing that draws us in. Anyway, to agree or not, the point being in all, is that it's a sad day to loose Macword Expo as it DID have an IMPACT on us ALL whether you want to believe that or not.

The Mac Mini isn't one of their money-making, world changing products. Announcing it during Macworld didn't make it more popular either. People switching to the Mac are buying iMacs and MacBooks, not the Mini.
  • Reply 47 of 57
    Listen, I know it's hard to deal with it, but Steve is obviously in really bad shape. There is no other way around this news.

If you don't believe me, just look at his 2008 keynote. I did, for old time's sake.

What a difference a year makes. Jobs is physically in much better shape. Not only that, he does practically the whole keynote. If you compare with June and September the difference is vast and his deterioration is clear.

Maybe he can get out of it somehow. I sure hope so. But we also have to understand that he might not.

I know some of you will argue that Apple has been getting out of Macworld elsewhere and all that, but San Francisco is Apple's home town, and the January keynote was like the State of the Union address for the Apple faithful, myself included. The cost to Apple of participating in MacWorld San Francisco is simply irrelevant given Apple's current revenue, and there is no way they cannot be aware of the value of the keynote.

They are fully aware of it, and they mixed two completely different announcements to mitigate the impact of Jobs absence. They are attempting to shift the topic to Macworld. The fact that they got a journalist to shill for them is par for the course and part of Apple's MO.

If I'm wrong, then Apple will at some point make a clear, unequivocal statement that Job's health is fine.

I love Apple and I hope for the best, but this news is about Steve Jobs, not Macworld, no matter how they spin it.
  • Reply 48 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

MWSF Keynote almost always had better buzz and excitement than Apple's press events and it shows in the recorded video. With Apple's press events, it's just press, and they're pretty reserved, as they should be. The number of people wanting to see the keynote seems to have been steadily increasing, despite the fact that people can just watch them at home later that day.

Any Apple announcement generated the same amount of "Buzz." Before the economy went downhill, perhaps more people were interested in attending Macworld. However, you said it yourself, people can just watch it at home instead of attending in person. The luxury of a trade show, especially one as expensive as Macworld, will be eliminated by consumers in today's economy.

One person mentioned earlier that he did attend in person last year and said it was a disaster. Poorly handled by staff and standing in long lines didn't make it worthwhile. So why should Apple spend the money at Macworld when they can do it for free on their own campus and broadcast it over the internet?

Also, when this website leaks all the information days before the event, the keynotes are not as exciting to watch anymore.
  • Reply 49 of 57
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Hell, they could have easily done this in February, and NOT caused a big stir about it?

What's one last Steve Job's event worth? A whole hell of a lot more, then No Steve Jobs event!

Done in February and the news would have past just fine. Now the stock and Apple will look suspect for a while and or until the next Apple event, where STEVE let's folks know what's new and exciting.

Skip
  • Reply 50 of 57
    breeze wrote "Apple's products are the bottom line. No one comes close to them. The proof is in the pudding."

Honestly, I think the bigger picture is that hundreds of smaller companies who develop good stuff and cannot otherwise afford to reach their customers will be affected if they can't exhibit at a unifying event that brings fanatics to one place to create a buzz. I've been attending S.F. for 12 years and enjoy looking at all the software and peripheral innovations for the MAC. Sure, I can go to my local Apple store or find out from here what's happening at APPLE, but it's the fun of finding everything ELSE in one place at one time that I enjoy.

Question: will this stifle development for people on lower advertising budgets who relied on mass exposure from this event to get their message out? How much "editorial" (ie free) exposure will some of these companies get in future when there's no more "buzz" and best in show publicity?

Sure, one can surf the web but humans are tactile creatures and there's nothing like touching, comparing and asking questions somewhere where the masses are gathered and the excitement in all things MAC abounds.

Steve Jobs may be healthy and he may be right that "he" doesn't need MacWorld any more to sell his "hardware"... but long-term, others might need him to be there to generate interest, otherwise they'll suffer and concentrate on the bigger market PC's offer. This could lead to a drought of good software and peripherals down the road and eventually to a slackening off of interest in Apple's products.

When Steve first started placing certain of his Apple stores, they were considered loss leaders, as are stores of many famous retailers in prominent but overpriced locations. Perhaps MacWorld should be viewed in this light, a loss leader that provides a platform for the promotion of so many other things MAC, which may now fall by the wayside and make finding the cool things we want to touch and feel, and have demonstrated so much more difficult to find, that less and less is produced for us.

The proof in the pudding will be whether MacWorld S.F. can survive without anchors like Adobe and Apple and whether innovation is stifled for Mac products because of this pull out. Magazines like Macworld and Macaddict are O.K., but there's nothing like going to a show and getting excited.

One final note... thanks for making the stock price plunge this morning Steve... good job buddy! Keep up the good work and I won't be able to afford much in S.F. anyway! Who needs enemies with friends like Steve...
  • Reply 51 of 57
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Any Apple announcement generated the same amount of "Buzz." Before the economy went downhill, perhaps more people were interested in attending Macworld. However, you said it yourself, people can just watch it at home instead of attending in person. The luxury of a trade show, especially one as expensive as Macworld, will be eliminated by consumers in today's economy.

One person mentioned earlier that he did attend in person last year and said it was a disaster. Poorly handled by staff and standing in long lines didn't make it worthwhile. So why should Apple spend the money at Macworld when they can do it for free on their own campus and broadcast it over the internet?

That's not much different than saying nobody goes to a certain restraunt because it's too busy.

People DO go. More people went this year than last, I think they added another overflow room, I guess that wasn't enough. Not everyone is going to do the same thing, we're all different. Those of us staying home doesn't mean there won't be plenty of people going for the fun of it. Because a lot of people are hurting economically doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of other people that are still doing fine.

I think the type of audience is important to the presentation. The audience being press and VIPs almost never make as interesting video as an audience that has a lot of regular fans.
  • Reply 52 of 57
    Believe what you want. I think Steve's a reptile from another planet who wants to enslave the world.

And I, for one, welcome our new reptilian overlords.
  • Reply 53 of 57
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post

Listen, I know it's hard to deal with it, but Steve is obviously in really bad shape. There is no other way around this news.

(snip)

I love Apple and I hope for the best, but this news is about Steve Jobs, not Macworld, no matter how they spin it.

pfff.... this kind of bullshit statement is exactly why this is the right move on apple's part. it should cut down the overhyped exectations, the rampant speculations, and the inevitable tantrums when santa doesn't deliver the full wishlist.

as a bonus to steve, it will end the 'journalists' and 'analysts' obsession with his weight - shifting they focus back to oprah...
  • Reply 54 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

This is pretty obvious. Why would you put something that important in the name and hands of another company? If you're going to do an annual product announcement shindig, you'd want to do it on your own terms. Apple is right on about this. All those moaning about "end of an era" should expect Apple to set something of their own up, from which they can profit. And it'll probably be a lot better. Maybe like the developers conference but for consumers.

I always liked the Expo's to rub shoulders with other Mac Users and get to ask questions of the hardware and software developers in person. Sure they have the same products in the Apple Stores but they are not intimately knowledgeable of all the products on the shelf and they can't call over the programmers to see if your desires could be incorporated into a future version. We used to take small Van to BOSTON for Macworld driving 5 hrs with a small group of 10-12 MAC Addicts who would scour the Show floor looking for the greatest products then on the 5 hours ride home sing the praises of our purchases to the rest of the party in the van. By eliminating the Expo the WOW factor leading up to the show and the feeding frenzy it causes after the fact. How much is all that free advertising and product conjecture worth in purchasing dollars.
  • Reply 55 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

The thing is, this event was for Apple's fans, the ones who supported Apple through thick and thin, it was an event where all Mac users from all over the world can meet in large numbers.

It was the only place left where an Apple fan could delve in everything Apple and get away from the everything Microsoft. It's a nerd's heaven, and it's only once a year, the keynote speech was like the colosseum's main event.

The end of this event will put a big damper on Apple's fans. It's like a music band that will continue to make music, but ends all their tours.

Interesting.

Well at least now you can view how PRO users, myself included, feel in that Apple has SHUT US OUT. With the Macbook being able to RUN MOTION in the first year of Macbooks (no games though), Apple switched to a slower moving GMA Intel graphic. The only people it affected were those that used PRO apps on it as it did not affect anything other than OPEN_GL.

Then Apple releases a DECENT GPU (latest Macbook), but removes firewire, hurting not only the PRO user but thousands upon thousands of Musicians, mom and pop CAM CORDER users, and anyone that USED target disk mode for trouble shooting.

In addition, with the Apple Theater going from LOGIC, Final Cut, Motion classes to "how to send an email attachment" or hand book #2, "how to make a movie, or using iPhoto", I say, "welcome to the club"

- Apple has finally stuck it to not only the Pro's, the musicians, the mom and pops, the I.T. with Target disk, but now also all the fan boys. Welcome indeed.

Stupid move. Hope Jobs is okay but when he does leave the helm, I think we will start to see much more competitve pricing, newer machines coming out with newer intel chips, and maybe 3rd party hardware companies and the OS released on other machines (if there turns out to be no mid range, and low range product), but personally feel that iTunes will start to record video, ala DVR, the Apple TV will go away and we will see better products as a much reduced rate. As high as 1/3, to 40% lower yet powerful machines, making the statement that owning a mac is no longer a cost issue.

Only problem is that the CREATIVE people will lose if Apple doesn't start to focus on them again. Like the fan boys (and girls), the PRO users, and creatives are the one's who made apple who they are. It was the iPod and iPhone that gave them the $$$ to gain steam but since then, most of the focus has been on consumer products and standards yet with a high price point. Time for all things to become equal.
  • Reply 56 of 57
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Apple did the right move in my opinion. Just look at what happens before Macworld and WWDC because of rumors initiated by some who want to short Apple stocks. Beside, you get better results when you set you own products announcements and release dates instead of trying to rush things out every year at the same time.
  • Reply 57 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Imagine what will happen to Apple's stock when Jobs does finally retire. It's going to be a massacre.

The hype and hysteria surrounding APPL is the reason that I've never invested in the company.

-------

I think Steve Jobs is bored. He's a hamster on a wheel and no one hates that more than him (or I).

Full of surprises, just pull out.

Anyway, look at old videos of him and look at recent ones and he no longer has the excitement. He's toast, like Bill Gates.

Also, Apple can't keep secrets. At the last iPod roll-out, the secrets had gotten out. There were no surprises. So, for Jobs, forget it.

Even if he is not feeling well, I think he's tired of it. He's done his magic. He's the oldest guy in the room and it's time to let go.

P