Piper believes leadership shift at Apple is underway

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster, one of the most outspoken figures on all things Apple, told clients on Wednesday that Steve Jobs' absence from this year's Macworld Expo signals "the beginning of a shift in leadership roles" at the company.

"Steve Jobs remains CEO of Apple, however, yielding this year's Macworld keynote to Phil Schiller, along with the participation of Tim Cook and Phil Schiller at the October event is, in our view, a clear message that a leadership shift is underway," he said.

In addition, Jobs' decision not to deliver his high-profile speech has rekindled speculation on the part of some industry watchers and investors that his health may be deteriorating -- a scare which has sent Apple shares into a mini spiral, shedding more than 7 percent of their value since the news became public.

The Apple co-founder is a cancer surviver, having undergone successful surgery in 2004 to remove a malignant tumor from his pancreas. His company, however, remained secretive about the matter until the operation was complete and he was forced to take a leave from his daily duties as chief executive.

While Munster believes that Apple could have easily diffused speculation over its leader's health by having him keynote next month's expo, he doesn't believe the move is necessarily a sign Jobs' condition has taken a turn for the worse. However, "we do believe that it is a sign that we are in the early stages of changing roles in Apple's management structure," he told clients.

Like many Apple watchers, the analyst acknowledged that Jobs is the "irreplaceable face of Apple." That said, he argues that the company's product innovation has come from an entire organization of dedicated people spearheaded by an executive team "who share a collective track record of consistently outpacing their competitors in terms of hardware and software innovation coupled with robust product marketing and financial discipline."

"We believe that Apple's executive team is one of its competitive advantages," he added. "This management team, along with Steve Jobs, has been responsible for Apple's product innovation."

With Phil Schiller delivering this year's Macworld keynote, Munster and his team are no longer expecting the event to reveal any revolutionary products. Some remaining possibilities may include an updated iMac or redesigned Mac mini, he said.

"We continue to expect a new form factor iPhone in the March quarter," the analyst told clients. "We initially thought there was an outside chance that a new iPhone could be announced at Macworld, the news regarding the keynote leads us to believe that a new iPhone at Macworld is less likely.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    These analysts don't have a clue. You know, the one upside to these idiots, for people who understand Apple, is that they give us great AAPL buying opportunities. I'm getting rich off of these morons.

There sure is a leadership change happening, but it will extend over a long period of time. Phasing out MacWorld and moving Apple's marketing into the Apple Store makes a lot of sense. It's just the fist step of many to come. Apple can simply announce a media event, host it themselves, and still get great news coverage.

Apple can de-emphasize Jobs' role by having others do the smaller announcements, product refreshes, and demos while reserving the new product category announcements for himself, which happen infrequently. Thus over time, Jobs showing up or not becomes a non-issue because no one will expect him too, unless Apple has a huge new product announcement to make; the added benefit of that is it gives Apple more secretive control - no will know when to expect such an announcement. And when he finally does leave or becomes a behind the scenes advisor, it will have little affect on the stock.
  • Reply 2 of 49
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Jesus F#$%ing Christ!

Why do people listen to ANALysts?
  • Reply 3 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Jesus F#$%ing Christ!

Because analysts are not bunch of fanboys who'd say something because of their subjective opinion. What do you expect people to listen to? The enthusiast Mac evangelists on mac forums?
  • Reply 4 of 49
    Jobs doesn't need the ego boost any more. Better for everyone if the individual is de-emphasized and the team is brought to the fore. The same products will come out, but the company will be more mature.
  • Reply 5 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster, one of the most outspoken and trusted experts on all things Apple...

Outspoken? Yes. Trusted? Yeah, right.

I'm not saying that Gene Munster is necessarily wrong. I actually wouldn't know what to disagree with: I generally stop reading once I see his name.
  • Reply 6 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Object-X View Post

These analysts don't have a clue. You know, the one upside to these idiots for people who understand Apple is that they give us great AAPL buying opportunities. I'm getting rich off of these morons.

There sure is a leadership change happening, but it will extend over a long period of time. Phasing out MacWorld and moving Apple's marketing into the Apple Store makes a lot of sense. It's just the fist step of many to come. Apple can simply announce a media event, host it themselves, and still get great news coverage.

Apple can de-emphasize Jobs' role by having others do the smaller announcements, product refreshes, and demos and reserve the new product category announcements for himself, which happen infrequently. Thus over time, Jobs showing up or not becomes a non-issue because no one will expect him too unless Apple has a huge new product announcement to make; the added benefit of that is it gives Apple more secretive control - no will know when to expect such an announcement. And when he finally does leave or becomes a behind the scenes advisor, it will have little affect on the stock.

Agreed lol, most of these morons are coming to these conclusions cause Apple is not going to Macworld after this year not knowing that Macworld was never a Apple held event, Apple was invited and did use the event to deliver a keynote there but the entire thing was put up by a separate company
  • Reply 7 of 49
    This guy's ramblings seem to be somewhat undermined by the reports that Apple left MacWorld for political reasons rather than anything to do with leadership. But hey, the analysts have to earn their money somehow. I wish I got paid for talking out of my arse.
  • Reply 8 of 49
    If the Apple Computer Company rises and falls on the presence of Steve Jobs at the helm. That would be a sad commentary on the company he has worked so hard to build. Nothing could be further from the truth, yes there will be changes, some may even be not so good. However an organization built on a foundation of so many talented people will survive just fine. Apple has proved over the years that by and large its ideas are very carefully thought out and planned, then executed step by step. When this comes about as it must eventually it shall be carried out in the Apple Style barring unforeseen events.

All the best to Apple and Mr. Jobs
  • Reply 9 of 49
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Jesus F#$%ing Christ!

Better them, than analrapists!
  • Reply 10 of 49
    I think Steve Jobs is creating the change in helm by not showing but you have to give the Apple team more credit. There likely will be a new product unleashed soon by the new management team to give the optics that they too can run the company. I think Steve Jobs has set the tone for innovation for years to come and as long as a sales person takes the helm, Apple will continue to innovate or perish.
  • Reply 11 of 49
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    I agree with this.

There is no reason why Apple can't confidently push ahead and have Phil give the keynote at Apple's next major event. The new iMac introduction and Mini introduction might normally be given by Steve. But these rituals have become tyranny. Apple can certainly launch such products using a number of top executives.

For analysts to declare "If Steve is not giving the talk, either he is dying or there is no big product," is a startling lack of creativity on their part. Do they suppose Apple is not creative?

Apple actually can, and probably should, embark on these intros without Steve in the same building. For analysts to suggest that Apple is boxed into this product-release ritual of Steve Jobs, or else the company collapses, is a conventional-think theory that can easily be smashed by forward action. At this point, it would be a show of strength, not weakness for Apple to put some other executives onstage (not just Phil).
  • Reply 12 of 49
    They're just getting ready to take over the world with their Draconian Reality Distortion Field! IT'S A TRAP!
  • Reply 13 of 49
    I suspect that Apple and it share holders don't appreciate Macworld Expo being a huge blip on the Apple radar - and them being held to it in a way. Stock goes up before the event, if it's a "let down" or Steve looks thinner, the stock price drops. There's too much expectation that Apple's product line is tied to the event schedule. They may simply want to break away from that time line. If a new product is anticipated - but they can't get it ready in time for the show - they are screwed, in a sense. I think they just want more flexibility regarding product launch time lines. On the one hand, using Steve as a cheerleader for product launches has been a huge asset, but there's two sides to that coin and it doesn't always play out in a way they want - for a company that wants total control of public perceptions, etc. There's a difference between leadership (CEO) and public appearances.
  • Reply 14 of 49
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Ok, so here's a little thought experiment for you.

Instead of this, Steve walks on stage, announces very little, and the 'one more thing' is "And by the way, this is my last Keynote."

Can you say 'Titanic' for the stock?

As I've said before, this is the downside to the cult of Steve. There's no avoiding the hit to be taken as the company transitions to the post-Steve era.

If they have their fundamentals in place, we'll be fine. If not, then investing in a company based on one man was a bad idea in the first place, wasn't it?
  • Reply 15 of 49
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    People also forget that Macworld has really only been a big deal in the non-Mac consciousness since the iPhone keynote that flipped the world upside down.

Since then, that very scrutiny and level of expectation has been a detriment to Apple, not a plus. Macworld is not Apple, and Apple is pulling back control of its announcements and produce release cycle.

And using the opportunity to transition past the church of Steve. (No offense meant to steve.)
  • Reply 16 of 49
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    In the event that SJ does step down, there is an upside. Whoever takes the helm may not be as prejudiced against some of the items that SJ is.
  • Reply 17 of 49
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    People seem to be reacting as if this is not true. My immediate reaction was "well, DUH. This has been going on for years". I think everybody knows that Steve has not been well and by his own admission got exhausted by his bout with cancer. He is getting older and a near death experience changes your outlook and desire to be married to the job. For the last couple of years he has been inviting other people on stage to take over ever greater parts of his presentations. Apple has grown up and is now officially main stream. The importance of SJ appearing at every even is diminished, witnessed by Apple's decision to step away from MW. I first realized that Apple was changing its ways when the first solo iPod introduction was announced. It seemed so un-Apple like at the time. Still SJ but little fanfare. I imagine SJ will still be around and still voice his opinion, but the machine has a pretty strong momentum. The rumor mills will continue. It was nice while it lasted but Apple is a different beast now. We've all wanted it so now that it is happening we'll just have to move on. The world is changing and personally I don't think for the worse. I'm getting an iPhone for xmas. I'll be one of MILLIONS. That's what we want isn't it?
  • Reply 18 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

I agree with this.

There is no reason why Apple can't confidently push ahead and have Phil give the keynote at Apple's next major event. The new iMac introduction and Mini introduction might normally be given by Steve. But these rituals have become tyranny. Apple can certainly launch such products using a number of top executives.

For analysts to declare "If Steve is not giving the talk, either he is dying or there is no big product," is a startling lack of creativity on their part. Do they suppose Apple is not creative?

Apple actually can, and probably should, embark on these intros without Steve in the same building. For analysts to suggest that Apple is boxed into this product-release ritual of Steve Jobs, or else the company collapses, is a conventional-think theory that can easily be smashed by forward action. At this point, it would be a show of strength, not weakness for Apple to put some other executives onstage (not just Phil).

I have to agree. Regardless of the state of Jobs' health, allowing more people to become prominent in the company can only lessen the inevitable blow of wild speculation.
  • Reply 19 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

People seem to be reacting as if this is not true. My immediate reaction was "well, DUH. This has been going on for years". I think everybody knows that Steve has not been well and by his own admission got exhausted by his bout with cancer. He is getting older and a near death experience changes your outlook and desire to be married to the job. For the last couple of years he has been inviting other people on stage to take over ever greater parts of his presentations. Apple has grown up and is now officially main stream. The importance of SJ appearing at every even is diminished, witnessed by Apple's decision to step away from MW. I first realized that Apple was changing its ways when the first solo iPod introduction was announced. It seemed so un-Apple like at the time. Still SJ but little fanfare. I imagine SJ will still be around and still voice his opinion, but the machine has a pretty strong momentum. The rumor mills will continue. It was nice while it lasted but Apple is a different beast now. We've all wanted it so now that it is happening we'll just have to move on. The world is changing and personally I don't think for the worse. I'm getting an iPhone for xmas. I'll be one of MILLIONS. That's what we want isn't it?

I have a feeling we won't see AAPL back up in the 200 range anytime soon. Maybe 5 or 6 years from now after a transition has been announced and everyone calms down...
  • Reply 20 of 49
    -> Has Steve had some serious health problems?

-> Would it be a good idea for Apple to demonstrate that the company is not a one man show?

-> Should we worry that they're going to bring back Gil Amelio or John Sculley if something happens to Steve?

-> Do you think trade shows are a cost effective way to spend big money? Better than spending to open more retail stores worldwide? Better than running more "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads? Better than the developer conference?

-> Do you think trade shows are: (a) A thing of the future, or (b) a thing of the past

-> Do you think Apple has some negative experiences through their MacWorld participation? Does the stock get hammered if they fail to introduce a new game changing product? Does that make them happy?

-> From what you know about Steve Jobs, do you think he likes having the biggest Apple event of the year controlled by another company that they've frequently disagreed with?

-> Who's more likely to do something crazy? Apple? or the analysts who cover Apple?